ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, it doesn’t track. Maybe he wants to go down in infamy. Maybe there is more to come, he has a plan for his defense so that his professor writes books about him. Maybe on some level, he knew how sick he was, but couldn’t stop himself. Tried to understand the minds of the killers he felt a kinship to, as he spiraled. Maybe at one point he hoped to cure his depravity, but he was compelled to act.
It could be that he has been doing this successfully for awhile and just got sloppy or cocky.

He must have been confounded when the LE (who obviously had evidence of exactly what kind of knife it was) played “dumb” by putting out info, over time, that they weren’t exactly certain what kind of “edged weapon” is was. Of course the eventually did say it appeared to be a military style fixed something-or-other knife, as if it took them a while to figure out. That would have made him doubt that he’d left the sheath behind. The LE did a terrific job of protecting the info!
Great thought, but I’m not sure he’d fall for the “banana in the tailpipe” - especially with his knowledge of LE and criminology. I believe he knew he left the sheath. He’s seen on video back at his apt. At about 05:30 am. Then his phone is pinging off the location of the crime scene less than four hours later. I’m not convinced he returned to contemplate risking “a retrieval” of said sheath. It was just not an option. Must have been other cars and people about. He couldn’t do it.

In retrospect he will proceed to make up a story about HOW said sheath with HIS DNA on it ended up in the girls third floor crime scene and bed? He could have possibly touched someone else’s knife after they offered for him to view it. Could say he Sold a knife he previously owned to a stranger. There are so many ways he can present this evidence to form reasonable doubt. If had to abandon the sheath that morning, and he was aware of it…he’s had a lot of time to prepare and rehearse his personal presumption and testament of innocence. Jmoo

My mind can’t wrap around how BK’s phone was turned off/on airplane mode/in a dead zone during the crime itself but not during the previous casing efforts. So you’re telling me BK understood phones can be used to track (like, let’s hope he does with his degrees and all) and the way he chooses to get around this is to… disconnect from the network at the time of the event? What? This makes so little sense, anyone in this line of work knows it’s not just about the event but an entire pattern of life. This means data points before and after events are collected and analyzed and can often tell a story that puts the event itself in much greater context. Can’t believe his phone was on during all these drive-bys, what an absolute dunce move for someone who doesn’t have a degree in this stuff.

For contrast-
If he left his phone at home during the casing events, and then again during the event itself, this would actually establish a pattern of behavior that he is the kind of person who now and then takes drives without their phone. This would have worked in his favor at trial.

MOO-
1. What a fool
2. What’s on that phone? If he knew enough to disconnect from the network, was he taking photos? Why bring the phone to the event?I'm
So... he wasn't using the phone/number he had during the murders? I'd like to know when he bought a replacement phone or got a new number? Coincidentally the day after the murders? It would be interesting to look through his web history to see what he searched for after the murders and the times he did so!

Two possibilities:

1. Maybe he didn't think he was actually going to do it? If this is his first violent crime, maybe he's secretly stalked or "peeped" people before and this was just another creepy adventure watching people. Then he just decided to do this on a whim or without thinking about his previous visits.

2. Maybe he visited earlier to try to set up the idea that he was in the area normally if he ever came up on their radar. The PCA says he studied cloud forensics so he'd be aware of the rare-but-sometimes-used tower warrants where LE gets every phone connected to a tower. He might have known he would want to visit the next day to see his handiwork so he set it up to have an excuse if he was questioned.

I don't think he realized that if you put your phone on airplane mode, or shut it down, it doesn't show as continually connected to your last connection. If he left his phone at home and it continued pinging from Pullman, that would have been a much better cover for him. But switching it off signals it was switched off.

I'm surprised he didn't learn that from our friend Mr. Morphew if he followed crime. The on and off tracking itself can be evidentiary.
I was sure that he would be smart enough to leave his phone at home so it would leave a record of not moving and be used as an alibi. Nope, not smart at all. JMO.

He was definitely asked about mental health issues as per this link:

From link:

While in court Tuesday afternoon, Kohberger said he understood what it meant to waive extradition. He also said he does not have mental health challenges.

End Quote

He was also asked about medications. I'll try to find the transcript referencing that.
Thanks for the correction. I totally missed that part. Appreciate it.

The time he had the phone off until- I think it pinged around 5:30? I’m thinking he went somewhere to get rid of the clothes/knife. Thoughts?
"Additional analysis ofrecords for the 8458 Phone indicated that between approximately 5:32 p.m. and 5:36 p.m., the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources that provide coverage to Johnson, ID. The 8458 Phone then stops reporting to the network from approximately 5:36 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. That is consistent with the 8458 Phone being the area that the 8458 Phone traveled in the hours immediately following the suspected time the homicides occurred."

I've been wondering the significance of this period of his phone being "off the grid." The quoted text above is from p. 18 of the PCA and refers to 11/13 afternoon after the murders.

After following the case and catching up on this very fast moving thread a few things occurred to me. First of all, this was brilliant police work. Bywithholding the information they did and slightly skewing some that was released they gave themselves the best chance at apprehending this monster and gathering evidence.
As for the crime, it’s horrific. Just horrific. I do lean most towards the theory as follows: MM was the target. Mostly because it would seem she was attacked first by the placement of the sheath, and that KG sustained different wounds per her father’s interview. IMO she probably sustained substantial defensive wounds both in trying to protect MM and herself.

I think that XK and EC were not part of his sick plan. The affidavit describes the officer as seeing XK as he approached the room and then EC. I believe he killed XK and then EC after encountering XK.

I also believe DM is extraordinarily lucky, because I don’t believe he saw her. I hope she can heal.

Returning to the scene of the crime? Classic behavior. As far as the redacted page in the affidavit, it clearly describes before and after the redacted stamp that is is an autopsy report provided by the Spokane CME dated 12/14/22.

At any rate, horrific crime. Brilliant police work. May God be with the survivors and their families, and the victims families. All JMO

The information that just came out about his application to be a police intern is very interesting. That it appears he did not get selected but rather worked as a security guard is interesting as well.
I don't think that's the sequence, though. He apparently applied to be an intern sometime in fall of 2022. His security guard stint was across the country and ended in 2021. He was a guard well before he applied to be a police intern. He didn't become a guard because his internship fell through.

If we was confident enough (falsely, it seems...) to not be identified by LE because he was not associated with the victims, he might have presumed that one approach would be to look for phones pinging in the area at the time of the murders. If his phone was off, he would be excluded from that report. For example, it's definitely possible that LE checked cell phone tower data to verify alibis. If he felt confident about not being on LE's radar, at least as part of his plan before committing the crime, it might not have mattered to him that previous cell phone data linked him to the area. JMO -- OP, you're absolutely right!
You know what - very good point. He never considered they’d look FOR him, that’s the only way this makes sense. That he would dip out of the data pool at the moment it mattered and without any other identifying information, he’d be good.

That’s possible.

For a student of criminology, for people who just watch crime shows even, I think at the very least you’d avoid bringing a phone to a crime (on or off, or on-then-off). What’s the point? What do you need it for, to call for help?

Why did he bring his phone? MOO it’s possible (and, for the sake of this trial, let’s hope) he took photos.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but despite the incriminating evidence against BK his public defender in Idaho seems quite good from what I’ve been reading.

She’s had major successes on high profile cases before, so this could be a hard fought case.

Well if he did see the roommate that could explain the inititial police explanation of 'targeted'
After viewing the virtual tour of the house on this site, I don't think he saw DM in her doorway. Her room was across from kitchen to his left if he was coming from X room. The stairway to level 3 and a storage closet are between X room and kitchen opening. He would be veering immediately to the right from living room into kitchen to exit out back slider.

I wonder if he was practicing disguise, a little. If he did something as simple as wear a beanie, pulled down past his brows, he would look quite different. If he gave people a big smile in addition, no one would connect him to the man in these photos.

IMO. This is something people do, and something criminals in particular do or did in the past.
Absolutely possible, and it's happened before. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Not related to your post, OP, but I personally don't believe in saying someone has the "eyes of a killer," for example, after being linked to a crime. That being said, BK certainly has noteworthy features (bushy eyebrows?) that would be hard to disguise. Just MOO -- I could see him being overly concerned about appearances / blending in (he wore a mask, according to the PCA), so much so that he overlooked bigger details (driving his car to and from the crime scene, multiple times...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove