ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 53

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don’t know, but she was probably so traumatized she shut down in fear. Or maybe she didn’t realize the situation and what was really happening. We don’t know. We can only speculate. I don’t quite grasp not calling 911, but thankfully I never been in this situation. I’m sure she is mentally traumatized for so many reasons. Especially now.
Perhaps she called someone other than 911 such as a friend. Maybe, based on her description and the fact that there were no more noises or people talking after that, the friend told her there was nothing to worry about assuming it was just some sort of lovers quarrel or some sort of drama with a visiting friend of one of the roommates. It was 30 something degrees outside so perhaps assumed the masking was to protect from cold. Maybe, between the friends reassurance, the lack of further noise and her locked door, she felt safe enough to go back to sleep. Plus, it isn't uncommon for college students to drink on a Saturday night, especially a student who lives in what people called a "party house." If this were the case, it is possible her judgement was not as sharp as usual - or perhaps it was actually sharp and she might have doubted her own good judgement aware she had consumed alcohol. Plus if she had been drinking the night before, alcohol can make a person sleepy. Plus there might be additional details that the police left out.

I do think one fact is obvious: if the police had reason to believe she was involved, my guess they would have already arrested her and would not have relied so much on her testimony. <modsnip> I can only imagine the hell she has been going through - both with the initial fright, the discovery of what had really happened on top of probably having been asked by the police not to keep the details that came out today to herself. I wonder if, in such a situation, a person would be allowed to at least discuss it with a mental health professional.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, it doesn’t track. Maybe he wants to go down in infamy. Maybe there is more to come, he has a plan for his defense so that his professor writes books about him. Maybe on some level, he knew how sick he was, but couldn’t stop himself. Tried to understand the minds of the killers he felt a kinship to, as he spiraled. Maybe at one point he hoped to cure his depravity, but he was compelled to act.
The information that just came out about his application to be a police intern is very interesting. That it appears he did not get selected but rather worked as a security guard is interesting as well.

My mind can’t wrap around how BK’s phone was turned off/on airplane mode/in a dead zone during the crime itself but not during the previous casing efforts. So you’re telling me BK understood phones can be used to track (like, let’s hope he does with his degrees and all) and the way he chooses to get around this is to… disconnect from the network at the time of the event? What? This makes so little sense, anyone in this line of work knows it’s not just about the event but an entire pattern of life. This means data points before and after events are collected and analyzed and can often tell a story that puts the event itself in much greater context. Can’t believe his phone was on during all these drive-bys, what an absolute dunce move for someone who doesn’t have a degree in this stuff.

For contrast-
If he left his phone at home during the casing events, and then again during the event itself, this would actually establish a pattern of behavior that he is the kind of person who now and then takes drives without their phone. This would have worked in his favor at trial.

MOO-
1. What a fool
2. What’s on that phone? If he knew enough to disconnect from the network, was he taking photos? Why bring the phone to the event?
Two possibilities:

1. Maybe he didn't think he was actually going to do it? If this is his first violent crime, maybe he's secretly stalked or "peeped" people before and this was just another creepy adventure watching people. Then he just decided to do this on a whim or without thinking about his previous visits.

2. Maybe he visited earlier to try to set up the idea that he was in the area normally if he ever came up on their radar. The PCA says he studied cloud forensics so he'd be aware of the rare-but-sometimes-used tower warrants where LE gets every phone connected to a tower. He might have known he would want to visit the next day to see his handiwork so he set it up to have an excuse if he was questioned.

I don't think he realized that if you put your phone on airplane mode, or shut it down, it doesn't show as continually connected to your last connection. If he left his phone at home and it continued pinging from Pullman, that would have been a much better cover for him. But switching it off signals it was switched off.

I'm surprised he didn't learn that from our friend Mr. Morphew if he followed crime. The on and off tracking itself can be evidentiary.

Exactly how many people did the surviving roommates call over to the house before the police arrived? The Vans footprint could be anyone’s…would love to hear that initial 911 call.
Surprising to me is the lack of screaming or yelling from anyone.

Probably a victim falling over after being stabbed. It sounds like X and E were not found in bed but on the floor.
Would it be picked up from an outside security camera?

From page 5…

At approximately 4:17 a"m., a security camera located at I 112 King Road, a residence irunediately to the northwest of 1122 King Road, picked up distorted audio ofwhat sounded like voices or a r,rrhimper followed by a loud thud. A dog can also be heard barking numerous times starting at 4:17 a-m. The security carnera is less than fifty feet from the west wall ofKernodle's bedroom.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-11ed-b0fd-03427efe291f/63b6fe7770266.pdf.pdf

The information that just came out about his application to be a police intern is very interesting. That it appears he did not get selected but rather worked as a security guard is interesting as well.
I still want to know what happened with his high school military enlistment that never happened. Did he apply?

Just catching up so major apologies if this has been said. But what if DM passed out after she saw this and the other roommate woke up, saw DM passed out and not responding, so it was the other roommate calling police?

I also said very early on (before we were told the roommates slept through it) that trauma will make someone freeze in terror. IMO, she may have been frozen solid, almost catatonic, until the other roommate woke up.
Except in the PCA it said that DM locked her door after she saw the killer. I had thought that, too so went back and read again to see if it mentioned whether she locked her door after the 3rd time. She did. So I don't think she passed out or was the unconscious person.

They reiterated that they didn’t have a suspect when they did
This may be down to semantics really. Surely they had multiple POIs at that time, but I'm sure considering how serious this crime is that they did not want to just hazard and pinpoint one person as a suspect to the media until all investigative/forensic work was complete.
They stuck with murders occurring between 3am-4am when they had evidence to the contrary
To the contrary as in? Exact time of murders is rather hard to establish in this case. I'd say 3-4 am is pretty good preliminary estimation and one has to consider that the Police simply have to leave certain minute details known only to the perp or witnesses to themselves so that they can "validate" information submitted by the tipsters and potentially the perp himself.
They said the surviving roommates were asleep and didn‘t wake until later that day
As far as I remember LE did not say anywhere specifically that the witnesses didn't hear and/or see the suspect, this is just witheld information as above. But I agree that they could simply refuse to comment on this.
From the top of my head…
All with good reason so as not to tip BK off.
Fully agreed on thst last sentence.

Just catching up so major apologies if this has been said. But what if DM passed out after she saw this and the other roommate woke up, saw DM passed out and not responding, so it was the other roommate calling police?

I also said very early on (before we were told the roommates slept through it) that trauma will make someone freeze in terror. IMO, she may have been frozen solid, almost catatonic, until the other roommate woke up.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the PCA said DM locked her bedroom door after closing it each time, so not sure the surviving roommate would have been able to see her if she was unconscious. I wonder what the other roommate heard - no mention of it in the PCA from what I saw.

I find it odd that Kernodle received a DoorDash ~4am, and that's when LE believes things started. Also, ~4am is when DM thought she heard someone playing with the dog. You'd think he'd have cooled his heels till food was eaten and everyone was fast asleep. IF he even saw the DoorDash delivery. I suspect he entered through the sliding glass door (which was the way he left) so likely didn't see what was going on at the front of the house.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. I was thinking about what the family members said publicly and as I recall KG’s father said something along the lines of focusing on something that isn’t there that should be. Could he have been referencing the knife sheath? As in - do you know someone who is missing a knife sheath that used to be there?

Two possibilities:

1. Maybe he didn't think he was actually going to do it? If this is his first violent crime, maybe he's secretly stalked or "peeped" people before and this was just another creepy adventure watching people. Then he just decided to do this on a whim or without thinking about his previous visits.

2. Maybe he visited earlier to try to set up the idea that he was in the area normally if he ever came up on their radar. The PCA says he studied cloud forensics so he'd be aware of the rare-but-sometimes-used tower warrants where LE gets every phone connected to a tower. He might have known he would want to visit the next day to see his handiwork so he set it up to have an excuse if he was questioned.

I don't think he realized that if you put your phone on airplane mode, or shut it down, it doesn't show as continually connected to your last connection. If he left his phone at home and it continued pinging from Pullman, that would have been a much better cover for him. But switching it off signals it was switched off.

I'm surprised he didn't learn that from our friend Mr. Morphew if he followed crime. The on and off tracking itself can be evidentiary.
I agree and hadn’t considered (1). Yet another (creepy) drive-by that fateful night would have - as we now know - tracked with his behavior. The moment he turned his phone off could be when he changed his mind about where he would be going at that moment.

I don’t think he saw her
He had just expended a tremendous amount of energy, he likely was laser focused on getting gone and not using peripheral vision in the darkness.

JMO
I agree. I don't think that he saw her. One reason may be the way the door opens if the diagram depicts it correctly. The hinge would have been closest to him as he walked into the hall outside of DM's bedroom and the part that she saw him through was closer to the stairs. He may have been so focused on getting out of the house, he did not notice her. Sorry if this was already discussed. Thread is going so fast.

Name one way his DNA could get on the snap of the sheath that is laying on the bed of a victim of a stabbing, by a knife that goes with the sheath…
Especially if the sheath does not belong to anyone in the house, and does not have any of their DNA on it, and the knife that goes with it is gone.

How did the sheath get into the house If not by him?

The next clencher would be to find out where BCK bought the knife, get a receipt with a pic of that sheath.

If I’m on the jury, that is check mate x 2
If others are on the jury it makes all the other evidence stronger

JMO
Cross contamination in the lab is one of the most common ways. I'm telling you how trials work and jurors think in reality, not TV shows. Yes, DNA is an amazing piece of the puzzle, but in reality it's the smaller circumstancial things that add up to convince juries to convict. Again, you're not ever going to convict someone on DNA alone but you can with only circumstancial evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoftyGoalGirl