ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 53

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we look at only the information available to the surviving roommate, she knows only that:
1) Kaylee was with her dog.
2) A man was crying in X's room saying something along the lines of "I will help you"
3) A man with bushy eyebrows walks past her room and out the door wearing some type of mask.
She knows nothing, as far as we know, of stabs, blood, deaths, any violent crime, cell towers, DNA, cameras, Elantras, or a knife sheath. As far as she would know at that time, the man in the mask could have been the food delivery guy.
I agree, kaylee was in her room with her dog & somethings made her go to maddies room, where she mets the perp, this would also account for the dog barking as his owner has left him in the room. All JMO

Also does the fact that D thought she heard Kaylee say there's someone in the house indicate he originally came in for peeping Tom goal of k or m and then everything escalated?? That would explain carelessness n literally parking right outside ? Obsessed intruder to just be a peeping Tom wudnt need to be as careful as preplanned murder, cud he have gone there originally to SA maybe believing x n m to be alone in their rooms

I really hope the DNA evidence they have is more than what is disclosed in the PCA. For me right now, the strongest convicting points are the phone and car movements. It would be so easy for his defense team to argue that someone with his knowledge wouldn’t be stupid enough to leave a sheath behind knowing his DNA could be there. So they can say he was framed. I don’t know how they can explain the stalking and odd phone and car behavior though since June.

The defense can say whatever they want, it doesn’t mean any jurors will believe them. Imo juries appreciate dna evidence as “his dna was left on the sheath at the crime scene” sounds pretty straightforward—though the explanation about DNA may bore them. That, combined with his movement, imo, seem pretty convincing.

This is what the affidavit says re DM:

"D.M. stated she opened her door for the third time after she heard the crying and saw a figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person's mouth and nose walking towards her. D.M. described the figure as 5' I 0" or taller, male, not very muscular, but athletically built with bushy eyebrows. The male walked past D.M. as she stood in a "frozen shock phase." The male walked towards the back sliding glass door. D.M. locked herself in her room after seeing the male. D.M. did not state that she recognized the male. This leads investigators to believe that the murderer left the scene"

It's entirely possible that she just saw a guy in a "covid style" mask - and thought her roommates had brought someone else back. Re-reading it, she may not have had cause for alarm if she didn't hear any other noises. MOO

I am curious as to the items that were in the trash two days after Christmas when investigators collected items. Speaking for me, with regard to all the festivities during the Christmas Holidays, I generate a lot more trash than usual. I am guessing perhaps a napkin or disposable beverage container. I also wonder if investigators were able to recover the diamond patterned shoes that left a crime scene shoe print. Those shoes probably had a lot of blood on them. However, I believe BK would have gotten rid of them, as well as the knife. Time will tell. I do have to wonder if this was his first rodeo, I speculate that if he has perhaps killed before and gotten away, that may explain some sloppiness on his part during the murders, maybe too confident.

The fact that he had been stalking that particular residence, on at least 12 previous occasions is chilling. This clearly was premeditated murder, IMO.

I do believe he was born a killer and lusted for it. I think this explains his career path choice, IMO. A lot of serial killers have said they "don't know why they kill" or "just cannot stop themselves", (my words but something to that effect). I am glad they "got him" when they did, had they not I believe there would have been a lot more carnage in the future.

the witness? No. she did not see his mouth, chin, nose. she only noted is eyebrows. From what we know of what she saw and heard she is not going to be an eyewitness for purpose of definitive identification.
the witness gave a description consistent with Kohberger, but consistent with millions of other men.
I was going to say, in all the many pages here discussing his appearance, I don't recall anyone saying he had bushy eyebrows.

That being said, I have no doubts this is the guy. MOO

As to why he walked straight past her, it’s possible he didn’t see her. He may have been in trance like state of euphoria after his successful mission or in a fight or flight panic type mode where he simply didn’t see her open the door as he was trying to exit as quickly as possible. She will be so scarred for life. I really feel for her. Complete survivors guilt there.
Ever try to kill four people? Its exhausting.
I would venture to say that he was pickled with adrenaline, satiated and exhausted. Bundy did the same thing. He WALKED down the steps of the Chi OMega sorority house. Slowly enough for a living witness to get a good look at him.
Apparently, murder times four is exhausting work.

Maddie and Kaylee and Xena and Ethan, other than being roommates and friends, didn't seem to have other connections did they? EXCEPT, Maddie and Xena both worked at the same restaurant. Maybe the Mad Greek is relevant to the motive. Maybe the targets were Maddie and Xena. Obviously the killer would also have to kill Kaylee and Ethan since they would have stopped him. But the killer let D live because she wasnt the target and she wasn't "in the way."
Maddie and Xana were also in the same sorority.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the sheath. I think the most likely scenario was that it got pulled off of something. The sheath broke, or whatever it was fastened to did. It would be interesting to know if there’s any indication of this. Then, he must have cleaned up / wrapped up his stuff inside or just outside and had everything in a bundle. Otherwise, it’s hard not to notice that the sheath to your large knife is missing when you are done with it. I doubt he was walking around outside with a knife in hand. Something similar goes for when he was outside and first approaching. I doubt he was carrying a large sheathed knife in his hand.

I guess he could have brought the sheathed knife stuffed in a waistband or inside a shirt. Still he must have cleaned up close by, or the missing sheath would have been noticed. Maybe he did notice and could find it, or didn't want to look, the timeline as we have it is pretty tight, so odds are he didn't notice.

If we look at only the information available to the surviving roommate, she knows only that:
1) Kaylee was with her dog.
2) A man was crying in X's room saying something along the lines of "I will help you"
3) A man with bushy eyebrows walks past her room and out the door wearing some type of mask.
She knows nothing, as far as we know, of stabs, blood, deaths, any violent crime, cell towers, DNA, cameras, Elantras, or a knife sheath. As far as she would know at that time, the man in the mask could have been the food delivery guy.
Whose bedroom is the one circled in green?
Source
Blueprints show where each Idaho student was found stabbed to death

Attachments

• EC3E48D1-4C2B-4C61-A011-D9DF03230D6E.jpeg
    EC3E48D1-4C2B-4C61-A011-D9DF03230D6E.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 231
Just wondering if X and E were not targets and only were killed because X was awake and in the main area of the home. Doesn't change anything, just curious.
IMO
Having just read the probable cause affidavit, what stood out for me is this:

"One of these occasions, on August 21,2022, the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road Residence from approximately 10:34 p.m. to 11:35 p.m." (page 16)

I then checked the closing time for the Greek restaurant where Xana and Madison worked. On Saturday, August 21, the restaurant closed at 10 PM.

It's possible that Aug 21 was the beginning of the stalking, where the suspect followed one or both girls from work to their house. He was at the house 12 times in the late evening or early morning (excluding one occasion) between August and November. That's roughly four times a month, once a week.

Ethan was a guest, Kaylee had moved out, so Xana and Madison were expected to be at the house. One of the tenants who was not murdered was obviously not a target if the suspect walked past her (unless he was in a zone and didn't see her). He was in some sort of zone to leave the knife sheath on Madison's bed.

At this time, it seems like Xana and Madison were the targets, Ethan and Kaylee were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A few thoughts after reading PCA...

1) if LE initially said both roommates were asleep until 11, that implies that DM did not think that BK saw her. Not sure why they would have said this, unless it was to delay all the drama about her not calling 911. I don't think it gives LE any advantage. If killer knew that DM saw him, he would know LE was lying about this.

2) BK likely reassured victim to keep her from screaming. For him to say that implies that whoever he was talking to (X?) knew that a crime was in progress. Not to be graphic, but he must have researched where to stab or which locations are quickly fatal.

3) Obvious mistake is the sheath. This implies he didn't remove the knife until he was at bedside, and in the moment forgot to grab it... possibly because he heard commotion on the second floor or the barking dog

4) Though he had stalked the area numerous times, he obviously did not pre-plan by identifying all the cameras on neighboring homes and buildings. Otherwise, he would have made a point to avoid them if possible. Very common mistake for bad guys. I think he was so obsessed with the psychological aspect of committing murder, he didn't plan well on how to avoid getting caught.

5) Not blaming, but still surprised that DM didn't just yell down the hall "hey X, who the heck was that", since X and E and DM were on the same floor of the house. Masks aren't that common with college kid party crowd. She must have thought it was one of E's frat brothers or something.

How frightened afterward D must have been, knowing that she saw him, and he saw her. Afraid he'd come after her. Must have really shook her up when the info came out that there were roommates who survived and her name came out. Something she will live with for the rest of her life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree - he might have seen them at Mad Greek (I think the PCA mentions some other places too, but I need to reread). He may have followed several other young women, as well, gradually closing in on his "perfect target." Interestingly, the street light nearest 1122 (at the apartment complex nearby) was inoperable that night. It was fixed afterwards (it's' in the media thread somewhere, impossible to find right now, so IMO, MOO),

Their house was his best target - and that may be why LE says he "targeted the house." They might have pings showing him lurking around other places too. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he found himself at parties in Moscow, after his vegan meal at Mad Greek (falafel, cucumbers, tomatoes, dolmades).

"Crossing paths" is the best way to put it.
Mad Greek literally appears at the top of the page with a very high ranking if "vegan restaurant in moscow idaho" is searched via google.

the witness? No. she did not see his mouth, chin, nose. she only noted is eyebrows. From what we know of what she saw and heard she is not going to be an eyewitness for purpose of definitive identification.
the witness gave a description consistent with Kohberger, but consistent with millions of other men.

The DNA is the only thing that putts him inside of house and in probable contact with murder weapon and will cook his goose.
So he must have been wearing a Covid type mask

I must admit that when i first read the affidavit my mind AUTOMATICALLY jumped to ski mask even though after reading a second time i realized it clearly stated mask covering only mouth and nose. So now i understand why he may not have seemed AS suspicious. A ski mask i think would have freaked her out a lot more. Not sleuthing her. Just pointing out that i jumped to conclusions while reading affidavit first time

I would love to have seen the look on his face when he realized he left the sheath behind. Imagine driving away thinking you’re a mastermind who committed the perfect crime, reaching down to put the knife away and… the cover is gone. Priceless.
Yes especially given his arrogance. apparently his area of study was crime and cloud media (looking at his grad/masters thesis) , and more recently state of mind of criminals. But he doesn't seem to have anythhing that suggests he would have any expertise on crime scene processing.

Also you can do all the academic study you want, and know 99% of the mistakes you can make, but investigators with decades of on the job experience, know the remaining 1% of mistakes you can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member