ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they were actually sleeping in the same bed or if KG made her way into MM's room during the course of all this for some reason, and that is where she was killed. The affidavit does say they were 'in the bed', but who knows what that really means. Under the covers? On top of the bed?
View attachment 393226
I just find it hard to believe that she would have put the dog in one room and sleep in another. Yes of course the dog could have been kenneled, but when I was that age and got my first puppy, that thing was my *baby*. I would have never not slept without the dog.

That said, I fail to believe if she had run into MM's room that she would have been killed 'in the single bed'.

All speculation.
To me, saying "in the single bed" means exactly that. Otherwise I'd think it would have said on the bed, not in it. But then I can be literal to a fault. lol But I would think LE would be pretty literal themselves to get keep things accurate in their notes/reports.

The quoted link said the defence can claim another person transferred his DNA there. I was pointing out it's single source, his profile only.
If the defense is going to claim that, they still can. If someone else used his knife to commit the crimes, I assume they'd be gloved, so as not to get their DNA on it?? I think the defense would use something like that.

Some of the facts are really interesting, but in such a sad way. I can't quite wrap my head around the roommate who saw him waiting so many hours to call the police? The poor woman! I think I might have been calling the police as I bailed out a window. I couldn't have stayed in that house that night for all the money in the world. But maybe she felt that keeping a locked door between her and anyone else who might be out there was the best thing to do. I could see that, too. I just wouldn't have been brave enough to stay there in my room alone all night.

Good question! I’m so bad about getting a mental image of whatever I’m reading, then believing that’s the way it is….only to find out I read (or imaged) something that really wasn’t in the words. Like I totally pictured the guy was wearing a ski mask…. But others are saying it wasn’t.

But thinking on the shoe print a bit more, I would guess he wouldn’t have stepped in blood from M or K, but that it’s more probable that he did from the second floor victims.
This may have been answered, threads moving too fast for me to keep up.

The affidavit says the male walked past DM, towards the back sliding glass door. It also says the shoe print is consistent with DM's statement regarding the suspect's path of travel.

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case...it - Exhibit A - Statement of Brett Payne.pdf

It made me chuckle to think of most criminals doing a "cost-benefit" analysis.
It just made me irritated..
He lands this PhD programme and applies for

One new revelation in the court affidavit had a tinge of irony: After enrolling in the Ph.D. program at Washington State in August, Mr. Kohberger had applied for an internship. In an essay as part of the application, he described his interest in helping rural police departments collect and analyze data as part of public safety operations. The internship he applied for was at the Pullman Police Department, whose officers would wind up helping in the investigation of the murders

and then doesn't switch his phone off .. ffs!!!

Then pops in to somebody elses' house and spends approx 12-16max minutes stabbing 4 strangers to death and leaves quickly though nobody is chasing him and he had ample opportunity to kill a fifth but demurs because he only wanted to kill 4?

Cost/Benefit!
Seriously?

My thought is that when he snapped the knife into the sheath bare-handed, he may have wiped across it to smear off any fingerprint, but left DNA on it in the form of sweat.

He would have left transfer DNA everywhere on that sheath that he'd ever touched it. Each time he opened it to inspect it or use it, he left transfer DNA on the metal button/snap. Since he had to touch that element each time he used the knife, it had the most transfer DNA. The DNA would have been there before he ever arrived at the scene and there's no evidence he put the knife back in or ever touched it again once he started the crime. Sweat could surely have been transferred, but absolutely no need for it. Occam's razor says he took the knife out at some point in his life without gloves, not when he did it though.

Does make me think, though.

A man who has to unsnap a clasp to get out a killing knife...does he wear thick gloves? I think not. Does a man who wants good control and grip over said knife wear padded gloves? I don't think so (maybe nitrile). If he did wear gloves in the house, then that DNA came from the several (many) times he'd gotten his knife out to inspect it and practice with it.

First time post here, have been following case closely. I noticed that all tracking on B.K phone was done using CLSI and not GPS. CLSI can be very inaccurate. If B.K phone provider was AT&T as outlined in the PCA, that phone was serviced by 6 towers in the Pullman and Moscow area. One tower, depending on phone band, provides service to both the King Street address and B.K address.

A PCA can be written to make CLSI look more accurate and precise, by stating CLSI location data and then obtaining a video from a place or business showing the suspect in that location; what it doesn't include is how many businesses LE canvased for the video. The CLSI data may show a 5-mile radius of a location at a specific time, then LE canvases all businesses in that area for video at that specific time until they get footage of the suspect.

I'm positive they have the right guy, but the use of only CLSI tracking concerns me, I have seen it effectively discredited in court cases.
Interesting and concerning - thank you for providing your expert insight!

Do you think that the CLSI information combined with the video cameras catching his car near their house during the time that the murders happened will, together, be able to be discredited?

What about the PCA noting that his phone seemed to be turned off during that exact window of time, as well?

Hoping that this is just the tip of the evidence iceberg and they have tons more that will help definitively solve the crime and keep the public safe from the perpetrator!

Oh my.

Rational Choice Theory. I am guessing that, as with most of us, he was most interested in the theories that fit his own worldview.

It's actually a neglected area of criminal conduct, in many ways. Many models of criminality focus on upbringing or genes or recent trauma or anxiety or whatnot. This theory says that criminals are perfectly capable of being rational actors and may make most of their decisions according to logic and reason (based on a criminal premise of course).

We see this theory put forward in some military trials, in which soldiers are accused of war crimes, but at the time, they believed they were making a rational choice supported by their training.

"I am not crazy, I am just a really smart criminal."

Oof.
So in his twisted mind there was a reason this needed to be done?? Could this be a defense??

I believe the mask was likely a Covid mask, leading D to think perhaps just a regular visitor or perhaps the DD had been invited in for some reason. D probably listened for a while and heard nothing more, fell asleep, as people do at 4 am.
I agree 100%. Medical masks are common and a lot of people wear them so it wouldn't be unusual to see somebody wearing one. Serves two purposes, disguise and covers his face so that the chances of him leaving spit (dna) is less.

Her directions were to leave it at back sliding door? Not the front door? Strange to have delivery guy walk around side of house to back slider. Hmm. That is interesting.
I have requested food delivery to my back door but the area is well lit and my driveway is right near the door etc. However, to get to side door on that house, I am not sure a delivery person would do it at 4 a.m. I saw a picture of the house at night and the area surrounding the house is very dark and eerie. Jmo

Last edited:
If the defense is going to claim that, they still can. If someone else used his knife to commit the crimes, I assume they'd be gloved, so as not to get their DNA on it?? I think the defense would use something like that.

Some of the facts are really interesting, but in such a sad way. I can't quite wrap my head around the roommate who saw him waiting so many hours to call the police? The poor woman! I think I might have been calling the police as I bailed out a window. I couldn't have stayed in that house that night for all the money in the world. But maybe she felt that keeping a locked door between her and anyone else who might be out there was the best thing to do. I could see that, too. I just wouldn't have been brave enough to stay there in my room alone all night.
Well, that's not what they were saying. That would be his DNA being on it because it's his knife. They were saying his DNA could have transferred to the killer's hands and onto the knife sheath.

First time post here, have been following case closely. I noticed that all tracking on B.K phone was done using CLSI and not GPS. CLSI can be very inaccurate. If B.K phone provider was AT&T as outlined in the PCA, that phone was serviced by 6 towers in the Pullman and Moscow area. One tower, depending on phone band, provides service to both the King Street address and B.K address.

A PCA can be written to make CLSI look more accurate and precise, by stating CLSI location data and then obtaining a video from a place or business showing the suspect in that location; what it doesn't include is how many businesses LE canvased for the video. The CLSI data may show a 5-mile radius of a location at a specific time, then LE canvases all businesses in that area for video at that specific time until they get footage of the suspect.

I'm positive they have the right guy, but the use of only CLSI tracking concerns me, I have seen it effectively discredited in court cases.

They likely have his phone now. And hopefully they can recover GPS coordinates from it. Both Apple's iOS and Google's Android (non-vanilla) actively track locations unless explicitly turned off. It's a little known controversial feature buried within layers of menus. It's so accurate that a lot of truck drivers use it in place of a traditional log to keep track of miles, location, and time. Apple has since abstracted this information in the latest version of iOS but the underlying data can still be pulled.

2 days ago I would have told you the person who did this would likely know about this feature and have it off. Today.........

Did he leave the footprint on the way out or on his way to kill X and E? I can't remember the PCA giving the direction the print was pointing. It seems more likely he left it coming down from level 3. JMO

This may have been answered, threads moving too fast for me to keep up.

The affidavit says the male walked past DM, towards the back sliding glass door. It also says the shoe print is consistent with DM's statement regarding the suspect's path of travel.

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/122922 Affidavit - Exhibit A - Statement of Brett Payne.pdf
This part is just not super clear because it says he was walking towards her and then past her to the sliding door. Based on where her door is, the word 'past' is not super accurate, yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member