Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BY PETER VAN SANT

JANUARY 7, 2023 / 11:02 PM / CBS NEWS
''CeCe Moore: People are talking about how smart he supposedly is. And I just can't see how that could be true, because any student of forensic science or criminology would have to know that it's virtually impossible not to leave your DNA behind at a very violent, intimate crime scene like this.

CeCe Moore: You know, Ted Bundy thought he was smart. But he wasn't that smart, as it turns out.

After the murders, Roberts says Kohberger appeared disheveled, tired and chattier than usual.

But nothing could prepare Roberts for what he learned of Kohberger's arrest.

Benjamin Roberts: Looking back over the last four months, I feel like there should have been signs that I should have seen. And I didn't ... I was blindsided.

Jason LaBar: This is out of character for Bryan, these allegations.

Monroe County public defender Jason LaBar represented Kohberger before he was extradited to Idaho.

Jason LaBar: The family would want the general public to know that Bryan is a caring son and brother —that's he's responsible, that he is devoted to them.''

Based on the evidence presented at this time, I’m inclined to think he’s guilty. I’m open to seeing new evidence and could change my mind.

If guilty, I do think he is intelligent. I also think he loves and is attached to certain people. Given that, I wonder if he set it up to get himself arrested, and if this is the case if there are other victims.

LE could have a treasure trove from the trash bin. The ”Trash” that BK threw in his neighbors bin could have shoes and clothing he wore during the murders. Maybe, just maybe the knife?? He took the time and effort to save all this and haul it cross country just to get rid in neighbors’ trash bin.
Also if any of the discarded items were cleaning rags ir towels used to clean car would be tested for victim dna. That would be rhe holy grail for prosecution. How did victim dna espeicall blood trace wind up in his car.

No, it doesn't make our WS member BK, unless the WS member's DNA is linked to the knife sheath found in the victims' bed.
Right - that's my point! I said that very tongue-in-cheek. It goes both ways - just because someone posted as Papa Rogers on FB with these claims, doesn't make that person BK either, because everyone on forums, even our own, had speculations that were similiar.

He was scared the car would lead to him so he posts saying it’s not relevant on a Facebook group (even though you don’t need to have a criminology masters to know LE aren’t going to be persuaded by a random posting on a Facebook group). But he wasn’t scared enough to avoid posting that the murderer likely left their sheath behind even though that’s not in the public domain, and is the sort of thing that might make LE look into who’s posting it?

Not buying it. He’d have either gotten everything right, or he would have been keeping very quiet about the sheath.
he got the time of murders wrong - an hour out - and he got the placement of some of the victims' bodies wrong too ( I suppose he could have done that deliberately but it seems odd. Look forward to finding out if it was just another prankster )

Last edited:
I agree. But I am wandering why when would say "lynchpin." if she was a highly credible witness she would add to this entirely circumstantial case with her circumstantial evidence contribution. The DNA is powerful and compelling, but is also circumstantial and no single element is the "lynchpin"

The foot print may not absolutely be tied to the accused, but it can add to narrative the prosecutors offer due to it showing direction of travel. Same with this witness. her statement buttresses other circumstantial evidence leading to timeline, exclusion of other suspects the defense might proffer. Her statements to investigators could be used to counter defense alternative theories, and help prosecution theories the prosecution may have but not known by the public at this time.

So her awareness, rationality, or any real or perceived weakness may be brought up by defense to reduce the value of her testimony.

Again, I have zero issue with her reaction to this extreme trauma. any of us may have acted the same way. But that doesnt mean we can't say that her actions or lack of them may harm her credibility on the stand.
RBBM
I respectfully disagree. I don't think her "credibility" is at issue. She has first person observations to share. The defense would be wise to not go after her AT ALL, in my opinion.

IANAL but I would advise sticking with other testimony over trying to impeach her in any way.

JMO

so this was BK as a teaching assistant when he was at WSU, described by an anon student who was studying a masters there ( I can't open that link without subscribing now )

He did look very attentive during that short hearing in Latah
No these were 2 fellow students who shared several classes with him.

Due to WS TOS regarding copyright law we can only copy/paste 10% of articles here unfortunately.

Whenever I open articles from this outlet I get a box about subscription, but luckily there’s a button that says “ maybe later”.
Here’s a bit more:

[…]

Graduate school peers of Bryan Kohberger recall him as actively engaged in their Washington State University criminal justice and criminology program — someone who sought connections while also sharing little about his past in his first semester as a doctoral student. Kohberger — the man charged with four counts of first-degree murder in the killing of four University of Idaho students — presented a social aptitude with colleagues, making casual conversation between classes, two master’s students who shared several first-year courses with him told the Idaho Statesman. That lined up with Kohberger’s demeanor at the program’s orientation last fall, when he was one of the first people to introduce himself to others in their group of 13 incoming students, one of his classmates said.

[…]

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article270876677.html#storylink=cpy

Didn’t they post that the white car was irrelevant though?

People on here who we know aren’t BK made the same predictions about the sheath.

They didn’t get everything right, and they didn’t theorise anything that nobody but the killer could possibly have. LE will confirm if it was BK eventually, but I really don’t think there’s nearly enough there to assume it was unless that happens.
100% concur. I did not see a single thing that person posted that "only the killer would know" that was not posited by others. Many news media is conflating his known reddit activity of the survey, with possible but in no way edstsblied other activity on reddit. Just running sheath or holster search in those forums I see quite a few people who posted same idea before the affidavit was public, and who have been actively posting while the accused has been in custody.

I have seen nothing that that poster posted that "only the police would have known." Reddit had myriads of people guessing, many correctly, many elements of the case so far before they were known to cops, or after known to cops but not known to public. That poster also debunked several other claims, but those claims never made any sense anyway and anyone could have debunked them.

Not impossible that it was him but I see no convincing evidence that it was.

I don't think it was him. I said I thought it might be LE
I don't know that it was BK, of course but, out of curiosity, which LE would do you think would be spending their time that way? I can't see an ID LE doing that, and risking not only their case but their job. And, although my feelings about the FBI have been complicated the last few years, I think they would (with reason) see themselves as "above" hanging out with the general public on a message board and arguing with FB-sleuths about the case. LE from some other location, in MHO, would not know anything about the knife sheath, since the affidavit was sealed until after moments before he appeared in court. JMVHO

Ok, a few of my thoughts from the previous pages of discussion:

The Papa Rogers/Inside Looking Online Profiles and Comments Attributed to BK.

NOT DEFENDING BK!!! But, not convinced it is him....One comment was about leaving a sheath behind.....we had a WS member here also speculated that early on...does that make our WS member BK? One comment about speculating the parking behind the house in the lot and entering through the back....many of us made the same speculation during the same time frame. So are each one of us who had that speculation also BK? What I'm saying is yes, there are creepy - but they were not unique speculations. Also, that online profile didn't get the timeframe right - so are we to believe he mixed fact and fiction? It's a stretch.

Again, not defending, but also not going all in on this unconfirmed, potential connection. Could be him, could be someone else with a Websleuth type mind.

Very well could be or LE or it was BK because he stopped posting immediately when BK was arrested I think that's why everyone thought PR was BK.

RBBM
I respectfully disagree. I don't think her "credibility" is at issue. She has first person observations to share. The defense would be wise to not go after her AT ALL, in my opinion.impugned,

IANAL but I would advise sticking with other testimony over trying to impeach her in any way.

JMO
I a not saying her creditability is 100% impeached. I saying the idea that she was in a credible state of awareness can be impugned. I think it would be negligent for the defense not to open that up.

Passive aggressive , sorry couldnt find OP's post but answering OP's question
I'm the OP and PA wasn't what I was looking for, darn it. lol

Passive-aggressive behavior is a pattern of indirectly expressing negative feelings instead of openly addressing them. There's a disconnect between what a person who exhibits passive-aggressive behavior says and what he or she does.

What I can't figure out if there's a word for when people think stuff is about them when it is not. Like thinking someone was laughing at you but the laughing person was thinking about something that happened to them that morning. Nothing to do with the 'sensitive' person that thought they were being laughed at.

I guess it's really not important but wish I could think of what that's called. Google was no help. lol

I think the house itself is very dangerous. It’s in a grey area between shared home and hotel.

I think their pictures have tricked everyone to think they all really knew each other when in actuality the pictures are just a byproduct of them posting everything. Basically, yes they have pictures together but they weren’t all together like that.

This living setup means that intruders are less detectable, loud noises at night are less suspicious, responsibility for others in the household is reduced. All because they live in a grey area between being neighbors and roommates.

. . . to a 28 year old, perhaps.

EBM

To any age. Teachers 50 and over have been the object of romantic and unwanted sexual attention by students as young as 16 and certainly is common enough in the college/university environment. Both men and women. It used to be the case that we all knew that 18 year old girls were capable of "falling in love" with their 50 year old Indiana Jones-like professors, but it's also the case that 18 year old boys are capable of "falling in love" with 50 year old professors who are women (or men, actually - and sometimes 18 year old girls fall in love with a woman professor, too of course). Certainly, 20 year old students often like the idea that an older, wiser person is available to them and they can be relentless in their pursuit.

I will say that rounding one's age up and making sure that the students get strong clues about one's age is HELPFUL but not always enough. I have been told by one such student (who was 24-25 at the time) that his huge crush on a 50-something internationally known professor who was quite athletic and beautiful was his main motivation for continuing in school - and that he was pretty sure that if SHE wasn't the object of his desire (he took all her classes, joined her club, etc), that I would be his next choice. This was meant as a compliment.

I pointed out that I was even older than his object of affection and he just stared at me like that had no relevance. He also made me presents and came to nearly every office hour, while he waited for her class to start.

I did ask him a series of questions over a period of months, and was certain he truly had no evil intentions toward her. He was just lovelorn. He knew she was divorced and had children his age. Didn't matter. He wanted SO badly to perform well in the area she was teaching, and he did. It ended when he finally got his degree - so I knew him for a couple of years, and he never waned in his attraction to a woman who was approximately 25 years older than he. He would pack an extra umbrella when it was going to rain and wait near her office, hoping to be able to offer it to her if she didn't have one. Things like that. (BTW, she was internationally famous in the martial arts, so when I mentioned this to her, she just laughed and said it happened a lot). He would write her poems, be too shy to present them, and ask me to edit/review them to make them better. I told him that was outside my bailiwick and returned the conversation to the subject matter he was studying with me (he took a lot of my classes too, never interacted with other students, was a couple of years older than average).

I have now forgotten his name and have no clue what he's up to now, but he was thinking about becoming some kind of military intelligence officer and had gone to see recruiters, no idea what happened next. I would recognize him in an instant if I saw him, though.

Don't jails have facilities for grooming inmates (barber shops etc)?
Sure, this is Ohio, but I'd imagine a lot of prisons are the same. Maybe not all though.

Inmates shall be required to be neat and well groomed, and otherwise conform their appearance to the standards set forth in this rule. Inmates refusing to do so may be subject to force and/or appropriate disciplinary action consistent with this rule. Inmates may purchase personal hygiene items, including shaving materials, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap and towels through the commissary.

She has status. He did not obsess over a professor.
He obsessed over an attractive, vivacious, very social, sorority young women.
Or it also could be he also partly that he hated undergrads. And was set off by being forced into that auto de fe type confrontation about this grading of undergrad papers, in which his perceived "lessors," in a group, attacked him in an official school setting.

We don't know much at all about his state of mind. But if I was egotistical and somewhat narcissistic, and considered myself an academic credentialed expert in a subject, I might have a nasty grudge. Not all the story, but I think it is possible that event was contributory to setting him fully off. It must have ben a profound humiliation.

I just keep thinking they may have not only wanted to take a close look at his hands, face & neck but also to get his voice on tape so Dylan could hear it.
Brilliant if so IMO. Officer does ask BK to speak up, he can’t hear him.
(And yes I know LE has denied being behind the 2 stops)

MOO

I a not saying her creditability is 100% impeached. I saying the idea that she was in a credible state of awareness can be impugned. I think it would be negligent for the defense not to open that up.
MOO At their peril. She ID’d a male fitting the suspects description in the house. She doesn’t need to be a girl scout to do that.

I don’t think that BK joined Facebook to get on that group discussion. It’s totally far fetched & being fueled by a journalist for attention.
It’s been reported BK didn’t have social media accounts.
I think that if anything it was a law enforcement official or someone close to the investigation who knew about the sheath or simply someone who guessed right.

I want to point something out.

I have been following a Case for many years. In 2016 a family of 4 in Southern Rual Ohio killed a family of 8. It took 2 1/2 years for their arrests on November 13th, 2018. The prosecution is still on-going, it will be 7 years this April since the murders. Because there are 4 defendants and all were sentenced to the death penalty it has taken so long. 1 son confessed to get the DP dropped for him and his family and will be sentenced to LWOP, then the mother who didn't go to the crime scenes confessed to get a 30 year sentence, then the oldest son was recently convicted at trial and sentenced to LWOP X's 8 plus other sentences. The father of the family is left and still wants a trial.

Point I am making is that before the arrests many of us were suspicious that one of the killers was coming on social media to say the family wasn't guilty etc...

Then it came out at trial that not only had the mother of the family gone on social media to say her family wasn't guilty, but the lead investigator on the Case had been on SM saying things to draw out the killers on social media and to get the 4 to talk amongst themselves in private. "Tickling the wire" they call it.

LE was wire tapping them and by saying incriminating things on SM it got the mother to post more and got her talking on the phone and texting with her family. Their phone conversations and text messages were recorded and there was a bug in a long haul truck the "boys" drove.

So YES, LE does not only READ and POST on SM but can use it to draw suspects out, plus maybe gain some information from other posters.

Was BK posting on this Facebook? Maybe not. But you can bet that LE was reading this Facebook and looking for any signs that the killer was posting. If suspicious, LE could get the IP address.

Lesson? Be careful what you post. LE can always find you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members