ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of state (tuition)

All But Dissertation (status that usually means no more tuition = often takes 3 years to achieve
So if BK were to have completed his PhD, it would’ve taken approximately three more years then? Or can that vary?

Now I’m wondering if he assumed he would be getting away with these murders, then what next? More murders? To him, were these, and any potential future murders, valuable as research in the pursuit of his PhD, just as much so as they were also clearly a thrill for him?

Eeek. Scary combo.

Last edited:
I have the same question because maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be able to walk into that house in the dark and know which way to turn to find bedrooms, and especially to know how to get to the third floor that fast and without making noise and turning on lights. He must have cased that address......(even after seeing 3+ visual aides of the inside of the house, it is still confusing to me. And who was in what room...!)
Perhaps be went in at some previous time and had a look around. I mean, you couldn't do that at my house, because I'm fully aware of just who is supposed to be there and who isn't, but this was a place occupied by five or six different people, each of whom might have had guests and visitors unknown to the others. And if they were in the habit of leaving the door unlocked, as many have speculated, he could have done it in the dead of night when everybody was asleep. He seems to have some aptitude as a burglar.

A Google search for "visual snow" for a date range of 2000 to 2009, brings up quite a few results.

In earlier years it was at times discussed in association with the use of psychedelics (i.e. LSD, shrooms, etc). Also referred to as kaleidoscope vision (kaleidoscope eye, flashback to the Beatles and “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” ... though they maintained the lyrics were never associated with drug use). There are things people never heard of before but when they do hear about it, they can then develop an interest. IMO it depends what a person’s interests are, when and why they develop those interests, and why they might go searching for information about it.

May have convinced his parents to sell the car in Pennsylvania, but then registering the car in Washington makes no sense. We are trying to make sense of lunacy and irrational behavior.
Well he was already pulled over 8/21 I think and given a seatbelt citation. Earlier someone offered the pullover coukd have been for an Out of state license plate. Probably need to register within a certain timeframe when you’re a resident. So, to decrease chances of being pulled over again, he registered it (makes sense). And then to maintain residency guidelines to become in state vs out of state tuition. And then of course, thinking maybe someone saw the car at 1122 on 11/13 with PA plates, he changes to WA plates.

Someone probably already answered this - but you don't get in the CODIS database until you are convicted of a crime. And then it will only match to you. Not your Brother, not your Dad, not your Cousins. (That kind of DNA test is more involved & costs more.) We all WISH CODIS did the bigger test.

Sorry if this has already been said.
By saying, "We all WISH CODIS did the bigger test.", that it also matched against relatives even if the specific person was not in the database?
If so, respectfully, I do not have that wish, since it opens up a Pandora's box of privacy concerns imho.

So if BK were to have completed his PhD, it would’ve taken approximately three more years then? Or can that vary?

Now I’m wondering if he assumed he would be getting away with these murders, then what next? More murders? To him, were these, and any potential future murders, valuable as research in the pursuit of his PhD, just as much so as they were also clearly a thrill for him?

Eeek. Scary combo.
It can definitely vary. Different PhD programs (and even different universities) can require a different amount of coursework that has to be completed, and some programs will allow you to count courses you took as part of your Master's degree towards the doctoral work (which is the case at WSU per the program's info page). Once the coursework is done, the speed at which you complete your dissertation and sit for your exams (if required) varies by the individual person.

This is from the info page for the doctoral program in Criminal Justice at WSU (link below) -

"The Doctor of Philosophy in Criminal Justice and Criminology is available on the Pullman campus. A student aspiring to earn a Ph.D. degree should expect to spend three to four years, depending on the individual, in study and research beyond the M.A. degree, of which at least two years must be enrolled at Washington State University, and at least two consecutive semesters must be spent in residence as a graduate student in criminal justice."

So, what we can say for sure in BK's case is that the doctoral program he was enrolled in requires students to be enrolled as a WSU student for at least two years, and of those two years, they have to be on campus for two consecutive semesters. Since he was there in Fall 2022, he would have to have been on campus for Spring 2023 as well. Depending on how many courses he took in those two semesters, and any possible credit given for courses he took as part of his Master's degree, it's possible he would have left the university at that point as you can finish your dissertation from anywhere (physically, I mean). You just have to come back for comprehensive exams (if required by your program) and the graduation ceremony (if you want to).

Doctoral Program Info Page

Acute VSS is correlated with a higher rate of depersonalization. If one reads the same sources that offered up the accused having VSS then it also appears he suffered from depersonalization.

Acute VSS is correlated with a higher rate of depersonalization. If one reads the same sources that offered up the accused having VSS then it also appears he suffered from depersonalization.

It's weird though because BK was able to drive around a lot, with no apparent issues, even at night. He passed his eye tests at the DMV, which wouldn't be possible if he had severe VSS.

Maybe he had it at a younger age but it got better?

"The father of slain University of Idaho student Kaylee Goncalves told Fox News Digital that the victims had 'big open gouges'...she says, sir, I don't think 'stabs' is the right word, it was like tears...the knife slashed open her liver and lungs, he said." Remember the lungs sit directly on top of the liver. Anatomy of the Large Intestines, Liver and Lungs Stock Photo - Alamy Idaho murders: Father of slain victim says she had 'big open wounds,' calls police 'cowards'
*my bold*
Open to interpretation and I don’t want to get into gory speculation.

I wonder if he was casing other homes in Moscow and stalking other potential victims, or if he had fixated exclusively on the residents of the King Road home. I find it terrifying to think how many people he may have had in his sights.

One of my theories is that he was driving his “route” prior to the murders (which possibly explains the weird way he drove) and when he found their house with no party and quiet…

I've seen posters here reference occams razor (something about the most obvious answer often being the right one?) and I think it (IMO) it applies here. So Murphy had no blood on him cos he wasn't in the roorm at the time the murders took place IMO.
Agree with you here. As per the affadavit, Murphy was found in a different room from the bodies of Kaylee and Maddie so that certainly leads me to think that Murphy was not in the room when the murders took place. IMO.

By saying, "We all WISH CODIS did the bigger test.", that it also matched against relatives even if the specific person was not in the database?
If so, respectfully, I do not have that wish, since it opens up a Pandora's box of privacy concerns imho.

You're right - I shouldn't have said "we all wish." It was just an expression.

My point was, and what I meant was, people think CODIS is the go-to place that can easily identify a suspect, but it can't, unless you've already done something violent and have been caught. In which case chances are you would probably already be sitting in prison.

I just don't think anyone should get a one time free-pass to rape or murder or disappear another human because they know they're not in CODIS. JMO.

I'm starting to think his whole line of study was somehow related to his murder fascination.

And, I agree he was narcissistic enough to think he could easily outwit the small-town police department. But, he should have known killing four students would bring in the FBI.
The slasher film his sister appeared in was directed by a professor "of media studies" among other things according to the NY Post. Perhaps this was a way of working out his fascination. And BK thought he could work out his own fascination through the guise of academic pursuits such as surveying criminal minds, stalking and finally, committing an actual murder, which then turned into four murders, allegedly. MOO.

yes, this is what I was referring to: "All states allow for DNA collection under certain circumstances, in many cases upon conviction or parole."

I was under the impression that they couldn't get your dna unless you were convicted, not just charged. (What if you were innocent?) And not for something as mundane as a no-seatbelt or fender bender or shoplifting.

edited to clarify and typo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members