ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Him turning his phone back on is odd, isn't it? Did he have a need to, as you say, or was it part of his plan to look like he wasn't there? Idk, but I'd be curious what they found on his phone records.
Do you believe BCK was as prepared for this night as he thought he was? I wonder if at any minute he had even an inkling to say to himself, nope not tonight. The fact that he had trouble parking his car and then his exit route, makes me wonder if when he got there and even in the act itself if he got scared or got confused? Like was said "sloppy." I'm actually surprised that if BCK saw DM that he left her alive. I'm guessing he did not see her or if he did it didn't register.

Do you accept the fact that BCK was so bright/smart?? I don't. IMO, he was above average. He was able to receive a BA, then a master's by default IMO. I doubt he would have completed the PhD.

<modsnip: Removed speculation on mental health conditions>

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your thinking and I also can get obsessively into mapping at times, but I'm gonna have to study that PCA yet again! I agree it makes sense that any camera sitings that had him on the east edge of town going towards Troy prior would be left out so as not to raise doubt re the vehicle being the same one then seen heading west on East Indian and Styner. But later if LE do have footage then the defense will want that ofcourse (but I digress). One thing, I remember him being last recorded leaving Pullman, direction south-east on Nevada street (I looked up Nevada in Pullman but the good God Google said no such street so I figured LE/PCA meant South East Nevada) and heading towards 270 (?) but may be wrong. I'll have to check that. Do you think LE has more footage for the night before and after? I don't think they do for his egress between 4.20 and the siting on Walenta South post murders as the PCA wording suggests LE extrapolated to have him exiting the "area/neighbourhood" onto Palouse/Sand on the basis of other cameras where he was not recorded exiting. Again, I need to re look the PCA re post murders, but from memory they can plot him when he turns phone back on via pings, but the first camera to pick him up (?) is on Johnson Road heading heading towards Pullman (it's a business not far from the 270 road intersection says Google God , he would then cross 270 in order to get picked up by a few cameras on that Stadium road heading north (?) towards his residence). What he did before is going to come up if this goes to trial imo, so I reckon it is worth sleuthing the maps etc. I see the reasoning behind your random e.g, and why if he was picked up at that camera LE might leave it out of the PCA. Seems to me (IMO) that there is no way LE could get a totally clear picture of where he went prior to 3.26 from cameras as they could not have got footage from every camera for all his possible routes for that night IMO. I suppose (IMO) It's not impossible that BK could have been thinking this and that's why he zipped around where ever he did. Do you think LE would have routinely collected/requested footage from cameras between Sand/Palouse and East Indian for that morning? After discovering the Queen st footage? I can see endless scenarios of various footage being unavailable/wiped for some of the locations out of the immediate neighbourhood and not on the majot roads. Time to re-read the PCA!
My impression from the PCA is that LE assumes his egress route at Conestoga Dr and Sand Rd, but I thought the next point is south on 95 near Blaine (a phone ping). Maybe I need another PCA read, too! But I don't think he went straight to Pullman after the murders, instead he went south on 95, then west to Uniontown and then north to Pullman. Again, he had his phone on at this point, so was he lost? Yes, that's possible, but I tend to think he took back roads south out of Moscow, avoiding cameras, then got on 95 heading south, turning on his phone on purpose.

If he was trying to make it appear like he'd gone somewhere east of Moscow, then he might have thought the phone coming back on only solidified his timeline. Check out the route from Moscow to Troy to Kendrick to Julietta to Genesee Valley Lutheran Church (near Blaine). It's a straight shot circle that takes 1 hour and 12 min. Seen on camera heading east out of Moscow around 3:15 and phone comes back on around 4:48 (hour and a half)? It's sort of an alibi if he hadn't been captured by a couple cameras heading west and around King Rd. I don't know if it means anything, but since he wanted to specialize in helping track criminals via digital technology in rural areas, it seems like something he might think he could outsmart LE on. Jmo...

Any thoughts on why he used his own car on the night of the murders?

Given that many homes have cameras, using his own car seems to indicate a remarkable lack of forethought and planning. If he planned all of this carefully, I'm puzzled as to how he decided to use his own car.
Borrowing someone else's car or renting a car would present a host of problems, if BK was trying to avoid detection. And he doesn't seem like the sort who'd know a lot about stealing a car.

Is it possible that a drone could take these high quality photos?

Yes, it's possible and with a telephoto on a low flying drone, I guess even the ground level photos could taken 50-100 yards away.

It's a New World that we're all living in.

Many people convicted of crimes did not give a lot of thought to the kind of "justice" their families would receive. Committing a quadruple homicide is an outrageous act against BK's own family, by BK. He has put them in an everlasting pit of sadness, perhaps despair. He probably gave as little thought to the murder victims and to their families.

Of course, in his own adolescent words, he finds it hard to view others as human. Even himself.

Still doesn't explain why he would suddenly plan and decide to kill four innocent victims. He knows he was striking out at the heart of our society, his own family, and of course, the victims and their families. That was his intent and his goal, IMO.

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, I'm not totally caught up ... 48 Hours mentioned the suspect's sister was in a horror slasher movie about 11 years ago ... could suspect have been influenced by the movie about a way to carry out a murder? Not saying the movie influenced him to kill someone, that evil was already there, perhaps gave him an idea of the means to carry it out.

How could we ever know the answer to that? It is definitely a bizarre detail.

Welcome to Websleuths!

In my personal opinion, it never helps to have violent fantasies embedded firmly in the mind of an individual who is already experiencing depersonalization, dark thoughts, etc.

Given that many homes have cameras, using his own car seems to indicate a remarkable lack of forethought and planning. If he planned all of this carefully, I'm puzzled as to how he decided to use his own car.
Purely IMO, but he stalked the house itself and probably noticed it did not have cameras, he did not think residences close by would or did not even think about it. I honestly think this was planned but sloppily so. He may have been book smart but I think possibly lacked in common sense.

I posted this a bit back for informational purposes. IMO, in the picture, BK is posing with someone who appears to be wearing a military uniform "blouse," I think they call it. It was taken while BK was younger, but I thought it might/could show a possible connection to the K-bar. One poster said the uniform looked more like a band uniform. I can't tell. The picture is midway down the article and I'm NOT posting this to suggest BK is using or has ever used drugs.

Bryan Kohberger's 'shocked' ex-classmate claims Idaho murder suspect used heroin in high school | MEAWW

Realistically what would he use?? He couldn't borrow a car or rent a car without paper work involved and I'll guess that his parent's probably paid any credit card bill he might have access to. He could have walked with a backpack containing his murder suit, etc. from blocks away, but he didn't think about that, did he?

As far as the lighting issue goes, I often get up on the middle of the night and wander around the house without turning on lights. There is typically enough ambient light from things like street lights, digital oven clock, my cell phone, etc... I also remember seeing twinkle lights and neon signs around the house and not sure some of those might not have been left on as well.

With respect, I know we are all on pins and needles looking for any info we can, but this seems to be such an invasion of privacy. The poor man is just trying to clean up the mess from his house on the worst night of his life and camera people are hiding in the bushes taking pictures. He probably can't afford to even hire someone to do it, or can't find someone willing to come out to that address. I know I am a ninny, but I often have sympathy for the innocent families of killers as well, unless they are somehow shown to be involved.
I agree with you. i think the comment about the life is good sweatshirt is so unnecessary- he probably just pulled whatever hoodie he could muster the strength up to put on. It was probably mentally exhausting to even know he had to clean this up and risk being photographed etc.

For those who may not get NewsNation network, or may have missed it, this is the entire hour-long special that aired last night, hosted by Brian Entin, who has been on the ground, in Idaho, almost since the beginning of this case. Not really any major new developments, but a very good summary of pretty much everything we know, and several interesting interviews, including one with Kaylee's sister, and another with former FBI agent, Bobby Chacon, as well as a few others.

Last edited:
Borrowing someone else's car or renting a car would present a host of problems, if BK was trying to avoid detection. And he doesn't seem like the sort who'd know a lot about stealing a car.
He lacked critical thinking skills. Did not anticipate many homes would have cameras. Did not thoroughly think through the results of bringing phone and turning it on and off continuously. Did not think thoroughly about security cameras on WS campus, especially parking lot.

ADMIN NOTE:

The only mental health conditions that are now allowed for discussion are those referenced in MSM and other WS approved sources (which includes those mentioned in the unconfirmed accounts of BK himself.)

Otherwise it's like Bartholomew hats with members speculating from A to Z in the DSM.

On the 48 Hours episode, an expert whose name I don't recall said that it is almost impossible to commit several bloody murders in a confined space without leaving evidence, including DNA. (This is a summary of my understanding of what he said). More to the point, people on trial always try to "explain away" the evidence that they committed a crime. For the most part, they don't succeed. We know there is DNA on the knife. There is likely to be other biological evidence related to using the knife, to people fighting back, and even just to the way humans and animals shed hair and skin without even knowing it. Whoever did the killing left traces of himself in that house. And that's before we get to the bizarre comings and goings captured on his phone and videos of his vehicle. Someone wise once said, "You can't talk your way out of something you behaved your way into."
I love that quote.

Honestly, I think they may need to provide more DNA evidence than a bit on a knife sheath. It is explainable that someone stole the knife and used it for this crime, knowing a purchase by someone else wouldn't be linked back to them. I'd be shocked if they arrested without more DNA, as their case is very much based on it.

For someone immersed in criminal justice study he made a lot of out of character blunders.

It's interesting that he didn't try to float a theory that would lead away from him. That's what the poster, later accused of being BK, did on fb. IIRC, he blamed the murders on fraternity boys.
I guess he was too terrified to speak up - in case he could reveal secret info unintentionally.

He seemed to be in permanent anxious state of mind after the (alleged) crime.

JMO

No. And I don't think Adam is giving interviews.

Do you think it has relevance to the crimes BK is accused of? And if so, why?

My theory about the ‘everything’ that Maddie told Adam is that it was something so inconsequential that, if it weren’t for these brutal murders, he’d have forgotten it eight weeks ago.

[…]

He was formally charged with four counts of first-degree murder and one count of felony burglary. If the case goes to trial, he could face the death penalty if a jury finds him guilty.

However, Kohberger would need to be bound over to district court first, where he would formally enter a guilty or not guilty plea, according to Idaho's criminal process.

The suspect made his first appearance before Latah County Magistrate Judge Megan Marshall, where he was advised of his rights and asked if he understood the charges against him. It's the first of at least two appearances in Marshall's courtroom before Kohberger will be allowed to enter a plea.

[…]

He lacked critical thinking skills. Did not anticipate many homes would have cameras. Did not thoroughly think through the results of bringing phone and turning it on and off continuously. Did not think thoroughly about security cameras on WS campus, especially parking lot.
And perhaps didn't give a rip if he got caught, or not, because his only motive was to see what, if anything, he felt after taking a life (in this case, more than one).

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member