ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 61

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think it’s very risky to come back only 5 hours later just to see if there was any activity. It puts him on the radar straight away if he was to bump into an emergency service worker or even a member of the public who could identify him and his car at a later date, even if he wasn’t doing anything wrong at that particular time.
Then again he might like the control of seeing people trying to piece together what’s going on when he knows exactly what happened.
Also to counter my own argument even more, it is also very risky to enter a home and murder 4 people while driving your own car and having your phone on you so I guess anything after that isn’t exactly considered a risk to him.
And if he returned just to see police activity, wouldn't he have returned again later since there was not any activity when he showed up after 9am? Maybe he did and LE just left it out of the PCA for some reason but I doubt it. IMO, it makes more sense that he returned in hopes that he had dropped the sheath around where he had parked and he could simply pick it up and leave.

Not sure where I saw it was a Ring camera. But if that’s true there is no sound triggering for recordings. Meaning motion would have had to set it off. And at the default setting it would have been 30 seconds before turning off again, cooling down, and waiting for more motion before recording.

If it wasn’t a Ring camera and did have motion triggering (I believe Arlo does) then the thud was likely the culprit. But again, it would have stopped recording after a period of time and unless there was another sound that met its decibel threshold it would have not started recording again.

here's the type of camera on the actual home

Under most circumstances, you are correct but the Ka-Bar knife mentioned and a number of other tactical type knives are designed to prevent slipping because of a guard that may are calling the hilt.

I would expect to see some hand bruising if someone wasn't completely familiar with how to use it correctly but we have members who have spoken about military training with them and even with incredible force, they hands never slipped below the guard.

I have one and have used it in ways that it was not intented, including chopping ice for livestock to water and while it's not a great idea, even with the handle covered in ice, my hand has never slipped. Some of poor decisions have left me with a bruise on my hand but nothing worse than that.

And this is why I find it important and interesting to know the facts of what BK did choose to do as he prepared for this crime. He knew the capabilities of that knife, IMO.

I'd appreciate your opinion (and opinions of others who have trained with knives or used a similar knife) about what type of gloves would allow best use of the knife (no slipping, etc) while keeping fingerprints etc. off of it. Would a person be able to use heavy gloves, is what I'm trying to ask.

I figured they got dna from the trash and compared it to the dna on the sheath.
I figured that too, but I thought they would have to prove that the dna from the trash came from BK's dad. Or is that necessary given that the dna result would be the proof in itself? I don't know how that works.

Yep. And I'm trying to figure out what "touch someone's wifi" means. My phone could show probably a hundred or so wifi addresses as I walk down a street, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to get close to a particular address, or that I even know how close I am to the location with that wifi address.
I actually searched that term. Clueless. Then I checked my available wifi. I DID just find out out our robo vac shows up as a network but thats it. I'm guessing cell tower ping confusion. JMO

Wow.
This could be a judge just being overly cautious. BUT it could also mean that there was something looked for/found at his apartment directly related to one or more of the victims or the house. Photographs of the house or victims? something brought back from the house? As far as I recall we haven't heard if anything was supposedly missing from the house.

Excellent post. I do think that BK used some method of tracking or stalking his victims, although I do not know if he was also casing other houses.

I've been thinking that he managed to lurk on the edges of their social life. I've thought this since before he was arrested. I had many theories, but my main one just before the arrest was that this would be an older student, I thought maybe a U of ID student, perhaps posing as a grad student or in and out of grad school.

The reason I say this is that I think BK somehow knew that K had moved out and perhaps even that she'd broken up with her boyfriend. If he watched closely enough, he could deduce this from the fact that before K left, JD had stopped coming over and their relationship patterns changed. Then 1.5 weeks after that, she leaves and takes some of her stuff home to Couer D'Alene.

If he knew that K had broken up with JD, that made the entire house a "better" target, because naturally, we all know that women are most likely to be killed during a break-up. I also believe he used various social media accounts on several platforms to improve rumors floating around about both JD and the fraternity house connection. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if BK had been hanging out around fraternity row, probably Sigma Chi.

I do wonder if that's where some of those 12 pings will lead.

Oh, and since his phone was mostly on during this whole time period, I assume by now they also have GPS from Google and I'll bet a whole box of donuts that BK needed Google maps to figure out how to get around the region, probably exploring to the south of Moscow a few weeks before the murders took place. He also used Google maps at home to study the region.

Eventually we should have both cell tower pings AND GPS on his phone.
My initial thought in this case was that he was obsessed or concentrating on one of the female students and that the others were collateral damage. JMO

I figured that too, but I thought they would have to prove that the dna from the trash came from BK's dad. Or is that necessary given that the dna result would be the proof in itself? I don't know how that works.
Once they arrested him, they were allowed to take his DNA and directly compare it to the DNA on the sheath. At that point, they can abandon working with the DNA from the trash can. It’s no longer important

MOO

Small data packets are exchanged when you see all of those networks. How do you think they are sending their names to you?

This exchange is constantly happening in the background without you knowing it. Assuming that your WiFi is turned on.

Imagine being a Mom of 5 at a crowded sports arena. And you’re not sure if your kids are in attendance. So you call out their names one by one and listen for a response. Everyone else hears you and receives your message. But only your kids respond and come and join you.

Your phones WiFi will keep calling out names and listening until it makes a successful connection and joins a network. The other access points (the strangers in the stadium) may not know your phone but they still exchanged the information.

These tiny little data exchanges is what the police have reportedly captured. Which requires no successful connections. It’s not at all out of the question. Some pro WiFi systems capture this kind of data all of the time. It even includes other information like signal strength etc etc
Are you kidding? That's an amazing explanation! I had no idea!

On the topic of LE doing a great job by keeping BK guessing
And on the question of whether BK knew that DM had seen him as he exited....

There would have been little point in LE applying a ruse for weeks by pretending that the survivors were both on the same lower floor * , if DM knew she'd been seen by him on the 2nd floor bedroom doorway. (Their eyes don't meet. He's preoccupied & focussed on exit)

That's how I look it, at any rate.
( there are other poss reasons why LE might 'lie' about that * but am setting those aside, for now)

Last edited:
Small data packets are exchanged when you see all of those networks. How do you think they are sending their names to you?

This exchange is constantly happening in the background without you knowing it. Assuming that your WiFi is turned on.

Imagine being a Mom of 5 at a crowded sports arena. And you’re not sure if your kids are in attendance. So you call out their names one by one and listen for a response. Everyone else hears you and receives your message. But only your kids respond and come and join you.

Your phones WiFi will keep calling out names and listening until it makes a successful connection and joins a network. The other access points (the strangers in the stadium) may not know your phone but they still exchanged the information.

These tiny little data exchanges is what the police have reportedly captured. Which requires no successful connections. It’s not at all out of the question. Some pro WiFi systems capture this kind of data all of the time. It even includes other information like signal strength etc etc
Very interesting.

My humble take on his visit to 1122 King Rd the following day is that there was no reason for him to go there other than to retrieve the sheath and it was likely the first thing he noticed the morning after.
Some people say that had he noticed it being missing he would surely go back to the crime scene earlier, but... we have to take into account that a) being high on adrenaline after what he did he most likely wouldn't notice his arm missing, let alone knife sheath, b) he was also likely completely exhausted, add to this that the attack took place at approx 4AM so after adrenaline high faded he simply had to take a nap at least (unless he was running on drugs), c) he was described as a nighly kind of person who often stays up into the early morning hours, so if his sleep cycle was abnormal like that, he would go to sleep late (or early in the morning depending how you look at it) and also he'd wake up late, d) as for going back there to just watch - everything that he did would be in the tv/internet news very very soon anyway and in high definition, and finally, barring potential DNA, fingerprints, H&F, in his mind, the sheath was the only piece of evidence that he very likely planned to dispose of together with the knife after the crime took place. So there was no need for him to meticulously sanitize it prior to the attack. Just MHO, from the top of my head.
What's really odd about it, no matter what his reasons for going back, is that he didn't turn his phone off. He did turn it off before even getting to Moscow on the way to the murders. What in his thought process, despite his academic background, was missing when he drove by the 12 times before the murders and then again after, without turning off his phone on?

here's the type of camera on the actual home

Many threads ago, someone gave the name of that camera and it's a well known (to many) brand that is considered high quality and I believe it does have audio. I meant to write it down.

Another interesting part of the camera discussion is that clearly some of the neighbors wanted the added security of cameras. I know that some college students often do *not* want them, as they do not want video of some of their misadventures, should LE ever ask to see footage (which of course, is exactly what has happened in this neighborhood due to this terrible crime).

I found this article from the Daily Mail interesting where they speak with a publisher who says the books and movie rights could go for $25 million.

Not only that, but the people who are intimately involved in this case - LE, state police, FBI, CSI, investigators, reporters, family members of BK and the victims, friends of BK, will all be approached to "sell" their piece of the story. They will be offered BIG MONEY, and for many of these folks - federal Marshals, crime scene investigators, LE, state police, FBI - they have clauses in their employer's policies and procedures that would forbid them from taking money in the course of their jobs.

However, that won't stop publishers and media outlets from asking them. For some of these folks who may be near retirement age, it may be far more lucrative to retire or quit their jobs so that they can profit from this case. I know it sounds unethical, but the lure of big money can compromise even the most ethical people.

Right now, the biggest players whose stories would sell for the most money are - as the article says - BCK himself, and in my opinion, these people - his new public defender, the police chief, the coroner, the medical examiners, the two surviving roommates, MM's boyfriend and KG's ex-boyfriend.

It's unfortunate that people involved with big cases like this one know that there could be a big payday at the end of this case. I just hope that BCK himself cannot sell his story and profit from these murders.

It is not that unethical, afterwards, Paul Holes made the whole career out of GSK case. Dave Reichert, my state’s former US congressman, was known as the LEO who put Green River Killer behind bars, but essentially, he was made famous by Ann Rule. She liked him and described as young, handsome, dynamic. I wouldn’t mind at all if LE get something, provided one thing: that LEO have arrested the right man and make an airtight case, and there is no travesty of Justice. What relatives and witnesses write is up to them, after all, so far, only DK of Columbine’s mom succeeded in producing something interesting, IMHO, but she donated the money to very noble causes (suicide prevention).

I figured they got dna from the trash and compared it to the dna on the sheath.
It could be something not in the PCA. They found dna on the sheath they used genealogy ( his relatives dna who may know bk or may not) to find presumably 3 generation cousins or closer, and use that to link (not match) the Elantra driver BK, and later used his dads dna to pin him. I think someone posted a media article link about this technology and why it is not in PCA.

SG reminds me in some ways of John Walsh - strong, focused personality, well-spoken, channels his grief into action. He’s like a dog with a bone going after justice for Kaylee - as well as for Maddie, Xana & Ethan. I agree with you that I can see him becoming a force for change that could help protect many people going forward.

I would hope that John Walsh might reach out to SG to provide him some support/advice. I also worry that SG is currently so driven to find justice that he may not be allowing himself to feel his grief. When I lost my oldest son, I was so busy trying to keep putting one foot in front of the other and taking care of my younger two kids. But in those “down times” - the quiet moments trying to find sleep, while driving, etc - the grief rushes in and is unbearable.

I pray for all of the families and, though SG may be the one most in the spotlight right now, they are all grieving and trying to find a way to continue without their precious child. And all will do so in their own way. I cried while watching 48 Hours the other night when they talked about “Ethan’s Smile” - the blend of white & yellow tulips to honor Ethan that was created by his friend & employer at the tulip farm where he worked. It is just one more example of how special these precious young people were and drives hime how much their families, friends and the world has lost.

Sending love and prayers to you too. Thank you for the reminder of why we are all here.

What if he was the one who called in the noise complaint like your idea and the reason was to see how fast the cops responded? So he would know how much time he would have later when he actually did the crime?
I bet the police have confirmed who made that call, but I do like your thinking here. (And if they haven’t, I hope they do!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46