ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I have been wondering. Where did he put the knife when he was done? Obviously, he didn't put it back in the sheath. Was he holding it when DM saw him? If not, where did he put it? I'm guessing that he did not walk out of the house with it still in his hand. MOO

It was BK that used it. Thought it odd as well.

“It is a little out of character. He said this is not him,” LaBar said on NBC. “He believes he’s going to be exonerated. That’s what he believes. Those were his words. So he’s really been very easy to talk to, actually, and he’s in a calm demeanor.”

If I was accused of quadruple slaughter, arrested via a no-knock ambush warrant in the middle of the night at my parents’ house, and if I was innocent, I would definitely not have a “calm demeanor.”

But that’s just me.

And there’s been no explicit statement by him or anyone on his behalf that he did not commit these crimes.

Telling, IMO.

Here's what I have been wondering. Where did he put the knife when he was done? Obviously, he didn't put it back in the sheath. Was he holding it when DM saw him? If not, where did he put it? I'm guessing that he did not walk out of the house with it still in his hand. MOO
I don't think there's any other choice, is there? If he didn't leave it, he took it.

IMO MOO The white car on video is also very week. They dont have a license plate, they dont have a real eyewitness, they dont have any clear pics of it and they broadcasted that they were looking for a 2011-2013 Elantra and only changed it to a 2015 when they found out BCK had a 2015.

IMO Any good defense attorney can easily create plenty of Reasonable Doubt with all three of these circumstantial pieces of evidence. (Pings, Video & that particular type DNA and what it was found on) again MOO

If BCK is indeed the sole perpetrator of these murders I hope the prosecution has some solid evidence to bring to the table.
If I were on a jury and that was implied I would assume they were insulting my intelligence. Looking at an '11-'13 and a '14-'16 you can see they are so similar it could be either especially based on surveillance video. They are the same same generation of the model meaning the shape and wheel base is the same, the '14+ just got a minor front end facelift.

He likely did not shave himself but was shaved by staff.
Do we really think they gave a guy accused of stabbing four people to death a razor blade?

I’m guessing No

JMO

Too early for armchair comparative profiling, I agree. Just my opinion.
I am ignoring all the chatter and rumors about his teenage years and other areas of his life.
There is just so much out there with people coming out from the woodwork with stories about
Their alleged experience with him. I am waiting for facts and the preliminary hearing
Coming in June..

One thing I don’t get is why he turns his phone off for 5 hours heading towards Johnson? He left it on to go back to 1122k on the 13th at 9am. Why turn it off. What's he doing for 5 hours? Why would he need to conceal his footprint the day after for so many hours.

Can someone help me understand his PA lawyer using the word “exonerated” vs saying BK is innocent or not guilty?

Correct me if I am wrong (no background in legal or LE). I thought exoneration is the term used when someone has been wrongfully CONVICTED and is cleared (exonerated).

Keep explanations simple for my simple mind, thank you!

MOD NOTE:

Although opinion pieces are not normally allowed here, @girlrx was considerate in asking for approval to post the following article and this particular piece will be allowed.

Remember, it is much better to ask for permission rather than chance your luck at forgiveness! ;)

Thanks,
Mad

Very well written and well thought out article, providing his own expert opinion (one of many, but well articulated with context and data that he uses to form his opinions).

As a criminology professor, he focuses on some key questions related to BK's choice of discipline to study. He asks (my paraphre of his remarks) -

"Was his (BK's) passion for studying criminology a cause or an effect (of having a murderous mind)" (that is, did BK choose to study criinology because he already had a murderous mind? or was his murderous mind the result (effect) of studying serial, mass and spree killers)

"Did he (BK) become obsessed and aspire to join their ranks (BTK and Bundy)"

Definitely worth reading the entire article, IMO.

One thing I don’t get is why he turns his phone off for 5 hours heading towards Johnson? He left it on to go back to 1122k on the 13th at 9am. Why turn it off. What's he doing for 5 hours? Why would he need to conceal his footprint the day after for so many hours.
Getting rid of evidence. Bloody clothes, the knife, anything else that's incriminating. Quite a bit of open land down in the area he had his phone turned off for 5 hours.

Does anyone think there is absolutely anyway possible the knife could still be somewhere in the house? I don't, but stranger things have happened. I wonder if DM noticed it in his hand when she saw him. Completely understandable if not. JMO

Can someone help me understand his PA lawyer using the word “exonerated” vs saying BK is innocent or not guilty?

Correct me if I am wrong (no background in legal or LE). I thought exoneration is the term used when someone has been wrongfully CONVICTED and is cleared (exonerated).

Keep explanations simple for my simple mind, thank you!
I believe Kohberger and his attorney used that word to imply that he was wrongfully accused and arrested.

I really don't understand why the next court hearing will be until June :rolleyes:

Either Prosecution have additional evidence (from the car, discarded trash, etc.) or not.

Or maybe his psychological assessment will take that loooong?

It’s a decision made by his defense. He had a right to demand that the preliminary hearing, (small trial before a judge, to determine whether a real trial is justified,) take place starting next Thursday.

His defense attorney requested the postponement, to give her time to study the discovery. Prosecution agreed, probably very happy to have time for all their tests to come back.

MOO

I really don't understand why the next court hearing will be until June :rolleyes:

Either Prosecution have additional evidence (from the car, discarded trash, etc.) or not.

It’s an ongoing investigation. The defense will want as much discovery as possible to put together their strategy. That’s my 2¢

Each side has a tremendous amount of work to put in and all the evidence that needs to be processed will likely take months. I guarantee it will be June by the time all the finding come back and the lawyers are able to put everything together.

With regard to moving to Pullman, looking at it from a strictly practical perspective (not assuming any underlying motives), if he was set on doing a PhD, the process of finding a university accepting new PhD students into a program can be extremely difficult. It's not a case of simply applying and being accepted based on academic merits and an essay, as with a Bachelor's or Master's degree. To enter a PhD program, an applicant must first find a supervisor/advisor who has the capacity to take on a new PhD student and who is willing to work with the applicant over the course of their PhD. Some universities limit the number of PhD students a supervisor can have at one time (in my first job in academia I was limited to supervising four PhD students at a time, for example. Once one graduated, I could add a new one.) The applicant also needs to find a supervisor whose specific research interests/expertise closely match those of the applicant. This can get very granular and it's not a case of both parties simply being interested in criminology - the specific topic within the discipline and the research methods to be used, etc. are very important. Once the applicant finds a supervisor with the capacity and willingness to take them on as a student, they then apply for the PhD program and are usually admitted unless there are some glaring issues with their Bachelor's/Master's transcripts or test scores (not all programs require a test, but many will require something like the GRE or GMAT). On top of that, not all PhD positions are funded and getting a funded spot can be extremely competitive. Since BK was a Teaching Assistant, it seems he did have funding from the university for his tuition and a monthly assistantship stipend, so that could play a large role in deciding to go to WSU as well.

This is all to say that it's a difficult process finding a PhD advisor and program to begin with, let alone finding a school that offers you funding. Therefore, I assume having an available supervisor with the right area of research expertise + funding meant that WSU was probably one of his only choices. US News & World Report lists a total of only 42 university criminology programs in the US in its annual rankings, so there are not a lot of programs to choose from (and I'm not sure that all of those have PhD programs; some might only offer undergrad/master's degrees). To put that number into perspective, the same ranking site lists 493 universities with programs in business, so the number of criminology programs is very limited by comparison.

Disclaimer - I am a university professor who supervises PhD students and also completed a PhD 15 years ago, so I'm writing about this from my own personal experience with the hopes it provides some context into why BK might have chosen to go to WSU instead of staying in PA or in the East. I am not in the field of criminology, though. MOO
I'm just curious why out of 42 schools, you feel WSU was probably one of his only choices. I'm guessing criminology PhDs are not overly sought after? JMHO

I think it’s believable that he did just walk out with the knife in his hand. He seems to be right handed, (judging by the papers he signed at his PA extradition hearing.)

If he held it in his right hand, by his side or leg, his body would have blocked it from the roommate’s sight—and she seems to have been looking at his face, anyway, to notice his eyebrows. She might not even have looked down.
MOO

His curiosity got the better of him. "How did I get caught? What did I overlook?" After he sees the paperwork Oh wow. I'm in deep #%^&! JMO
Curiosity…kills the…yup. He knows he is sinking fast, with every exhale - that grip tightens. They probably have a lot more evidence and facts than most everyone presumes. I’m waiting for the floodgates to open. JMOO

If I were on a jury and that was implied I would assume they were insulting my intelligence. Looking at an '11-'13 and a '14-'16 you can see they are so similar it could be either especially based on surveillance video. They are the same same generation of the model meaning the shape and wheel base is the same, the '14+ just got a minor front end facelift.
MOO Then LE should have said 2011-2016...but they didn't. You are right there were changes to the front and rear ends and other visible changes. So by LE only searching for the specific unchanged version it would indicate that they were sure of the vehicles year (body style) of the car but they conveniently changed it to match their suspects Elantra

I see that as showing reasonable doubt not an attempt to insult the intelligence of the jury. IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member