ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
where was the info on Topomax? It apparently can cause significant weight loss
Is Topamax used for weight loss?

Yes, topiramate (Topamax) has been shown to cause weight loss when used for both seizure control and migraine prevention. Topiramate (used by itself) is not specifically approved by the FDA for weight loss, but some doctors may prescribe it if you have seizures or migraine and need to lose weight, too.Jan 29, 2021

Does topiramate cause weight loss? - Drugs.com

https://www.drugs.com › medical-answers › topiramate-w...

It's in the early part of his Tapatalk postings. He says he had a bad experience on it and it made him do "violent" things. He reports having attacked his father unjustly just a few posts later. He has gone off that by that time.

I assume that it was prescribed for his neurological issue which some people think is akin to a seizure disorder. But, when I was on a similar neuro-drug (I have Trigeminal Neuralgia) it did suppress appetite - it suppressed a lot of things. My brain was considerably slower, but I didn't care. I never really thought about the appetite issue, but yeah, I can see how it might help with weight loss. In my case, when I go into remission, the same meds suddenly give me the craziest side effects. I've been in remission now for 10 years, so no meds for me - but it looks like BK was very much still seeking medical treatment and was moving on to thyroid medications (also, of course, with potential for aiding in weight loss).

Can someone help me understand his PA lawyer using the word “exonerated” vs saying BK is innocent or not guilty?

Correct me if I am wrong (no background in legal or LE). I thought exoneration is the term used when someone has been wrongfully CONVICTED and is cleared (exonerated).

Keep explanations simple for my simple mind, thank you!
I won't parse that public defender though I do not read anything legally relevant into his wording. He doesn't know the defendant but was happy to use BK to interject himself into this case, including criticizing the PCA.

I won't even mention the attorney's name here & give him the satisfaction of 1/2 second more notoriety.

Kinda negative on that guy, if you can't tell! Let him defend his PA perps. This case is not in his jurisdiction any longer.

MOO

I was just looking for video of the Coroner. I saw her first one done prior to autopsy. Then I saw what I consider a snipped one with Banfield on the 18 of November. I do recall her speaking that none of them had throat wounds and they had chest and ABd wounds. Also, I recall her being asked about the dripping blood and her stating that it could be possible. This is all MOO. I do find it odd that this is now nowhere to be found.
Thank you. I was asking for confirmation that the coroner said it was blood, as another poster stated. I still haven't found confirmation other than "looks like" or "could be," nor did I see any of the investigators taking samples in the early days of the investigation.

Can someone help me understand his PA lawyer using the word “exonerated” vs saying BK is innocent or not guilty?

Correct me if I am wrong (no background in legal or LE). I thought exoneration is the term used when someone has been wrongfully CONVICTED and is cleared (exonerated).

It was BK that used it. Thought it odd as well.

“It is a little out of character. He said this is not him,” LaBar said on NBC. “He believes he’s going to be exonerated. That’s what he believes. Those were his words. So he’s really been very easy to talk to, actually, and he’s in a calm demeanor.”

I suspect there may have been a confidant.

The close contact required with stabbings could mean more rage, experts say.

Knife vs. Gun: What a Weapon Reveals

But why a knife?

"Anytime somebody commits a murder or assault, either by choking, stabbing or making bodily contact, it always speaks to a level of rage and perhaps a personal connection to the victim that shooting with a gun does not," said Naftali Berrill, a forensic psychologist in New York City.

"When you are stabbing someone, it's close and in your face. The experience is more visceral and more graphic, more provocative. It speaks emotionality, whether rage or paranoia."

Other considerations;
My firearms are purchased through a firearm dealer, with a background check, and they have a s/n on them.

When a round is fired, indentions are made, on the brass. These indentions are much like fingerprints and can be traced back to a firearm, or a type of firearm. If BK was found to have ever had the same firearm he could be connected via the firearm's "fingerprints". There's that pesky problem of finding expelled brass in the dark too, b/c it will have a signature as well (unless he uses a revolver, then reloading may be a problem).

There's also sound in such a tight, close quarter, neighborhood. I'd guess shots heard, in a small college town, are not very common (Unlike here, I hear them frequently, and don't think twice). He'd probably have thoughts about a silencer. If so, he'd have to order a silencer which would leave a paper trail, through the government. A wait for the approval and pick it up at an approved firearms dealer. He could build one himself, so as not to leave a paper trail, but somehow I don't see him as a builder. Thus, the knife. It's possible he's had it for quite a while since he once had dreams of becoming an Army Ranger.

Pure speculation.

Nice to hear all of the school folks weighing in on the bullying matter. I'm a former school counselor as well as therapist in community mental health. I've had to read all of the FBI and CIA and other studies over the years about things like mass school violence events and help implement strategies to prevent them. Two of the most common motives for these events include grievances against other students for things like bullying and interest in violence. Of course there are others, but these come up time and again. So I have an interest in reducing bullying not just because I'm an empathetic person and don't like to see kids suffer but because we know there are correlations between bullying and adverse outcomes (personal, like suicide; interpersonal, like dating violence; and school-wide).

When dealing with a bullying situation, you really have to address what is going on with the target as well as the instigators. And ideally, you work with bystanders too. I'd be concerned about any odd, chubby kid lacking in social skills who gets bullied. And if I knew that kid had other risk factors, like maybe an IEP, difficult home life, mental health issues, I'd hoist my red flag full staff. On the target's end, I'd work on social skills, reading cues, matching with kind peers, etc. With the instigators, my attention would be on education, empathy, and assertiveness without meanness. Training and rewarding bystanders to intervene and/or report is also essential. This might mean a large group intervention in a classroom, in the caf or on a bus. These are skills, and they can be taught and learned, but they're not easy to master...adults have a hard time with them, let alone kids.

All ime, imo.

I get that bullying is a problem. But many mass shooters were actually the bullies, or their personalities are so off putting that other kids wanted nothing to do with them. Kids do not want to hang out with other kids who they sense could be a danger or unkind to them. I would want my kid to trust their gut. So if a kid is isolated and sitting by himself at lunch, we need to ask why and does this child contribute to his own situation. Take the Uvalde shooter for instance. His own teachers and fellow students were afraid of him. Among other things, he was killing cats and carrying them around in bags. And yet the media put out that he was bullied, when it was quite the opposite. Imo.

Attorneys/public defenders, that happen to be female, are not "lady lawyers". They are professional officers of the court and do not attend to the personal grooming needs of the clients, who they were assigned to represent, by the court.
Defense lawyers, whether male or female, do have a vested interest in how their cient's appear in court. So this is something that an attorney may look into, to ensure a good presentation at court appearances.

A prominent piece of evidence was the knife sheath found next to one of the victims, featuring Kohberger’s DNA on the button snap. LaBar shrugged this off as “touch DNA” or “transfer DNA.”

“Which would mean that it could remain on that sheath for an indefinite period of time, if undisturbed,” he explained. “That’s one way of attacking that type of evidence that doesn’t put him at the scene of the crime the night out, just that he merely touched that sheath at some point in time.”

LaBar said there is no other direct evidence linking Kohberger to the fatal stabbings of college students Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin. Even the suspected white Hyundai Elantra, which was allegedly seen at the victims’ off-campus house before and during the supposed time of the murders, appears circumstantial. For one, the police went off cellphone pings rather than GPS coordinates.

“If it was GPS location coordinates, you’re talking down to a meter as to where Bryan Kohberger was at the time of these crimes, whereas a cellphone tower ping is that you’re within a radius of that tower up to 20 miles,” LaBar explained. “And obviously, Mr. Kohberger lived within ten miles of the University of Idaho where these crimes were committed. So certainly he could ping at any moment in time near the actual crime.”

Load of counterpoints to that article. Without knowing specifically the quantity, landscape and how the towers are laid out he has no way of knowing how the phones connect in that unique environment. The FBI has an entire unit dedicated to interpreting this and mapping where a phone likely is in relation to the connection pattern and strength of signal. The 20 miles he mentions is close to the max range of a tower in a strictly rural area. Once you get to into urban areas that will cut down to a mile tops and as you enter the population centers in cities it can go down to a .25 mile or lower. Simply, the 20 mile estimation he is throwing out is for nothing but shock value.

Then he brings up GPS evidence which would be impossible to gather during the time the PC affidavit was written because they would need the phone or the car to do it, they had neither. Cell tower records was what was available because that is what is maintained by the cell carrier. Even if you have GPS data it is still circumstantial because you have to prove BK was in control of it.

Finally, to imply circumstantial evidence is somehow weaker is a fallacy. Countless people are convicted with no direct evidence, it is not a requirement and simply does not exist many times in the real world.

Wonder what he said to Lawyer when she showed him the maps of his phone pinging all around king rd?

So Bryan, What can you tell me about this?

Exonerated means in the simplest terms you are not responsible for something.

I couldn't help but notice the absence in the Probable Cause Affidavit of any mention of "blood" being seen on the exterior foundation of the house by the responding LE officers. It would be a relief at this point to know one way or another what that dripping liquid was. The image is disturbing and sparks my imagination every time I see it, even though quantifying the horror of these murders is hardly necessary or productive, IMO.
There is no reason to include that information in the PCA. It is irrelevant to building cause for the arrest.

Load of counterpoints to that article. Without knowing specifically the quantity, landscape and how the towers are laid out he has no way of knowing how the phones connect in that unique environment.

And it's not the pings alone, it's the pings plus the surveillance video that is so damning, especially with the video of him exiting the car at Albertsons. It's too many coincidences. And you can't brush off touch DNA like that either. There has to be a good alternative explanation for why it's there, not just that it's theoretically possible somebody else put it there. It's theoretically possible men from Mars came down and staged the crime to frame him, but that is not reasonable doubt.

Is there a link for the coroner confirming that was blood?
I am currently looking for it, and I remember this very vividly. It was said by the lady who is the medical examiner there, not the coroner who did the autopsies, my apologies. I will link and tag you if/when I find but the link was definitely posted here which is how I found it. I even wrote it in my notes about the case.

Normal? Didn't raise suspicions? If Kaylee had ever met him in person, she would have likely detected right away something was "off". Intuition is a powerful thing.

I don't agree at all that nobody suspected anything. We are waiting on the rest of the evidence.

Online presence unverified (Tapatalk, etc.).

Why did he really move to Pullman? Goes against his lifelong MO.

NOPE. He has a history of serious issues which stand out from the average person IMO.

JMO
Move to Pullman. I've toyed with the idea he wanted to move far away and start with a clean slate and it went horribly wrong. JMO

I moved 900 miles away when I was 18, for a brief time, just to figure out who I actually was.

In this case, it’d be ‘wrongfully accused and then exonerated. However, defense attorneys are prone to wishful thinking, in public, at least!

MOO

I think it's important to remember that coroner is not a medical doctor of any kind, nor has she ever done an autopsy. In that area, the coroner is an elected position with, apparently, no qualifications needed.
Yes, but she very much is privy on much of the info the police are privy to. That's how she released a few other things the cops did not release yet that we know now to be true and likely got herself in some hot water imo
BBM that is very true. Idaho gun laws:
No state permit required to purchase, possess or carry.
Gun & Weapon Law
Wow. That's intensely dangerous.

where was the info on Topomax? It apparently can cause significant weight loss
Is Topamax used for weight loss?

Yes, topiramate (Topamax) has been shown to cause weight loss when used for both seizure control and migraine prevention. Topiramate (used by itself) is not specifically approved by the FDA for weight loss, but some doctors may prescribe it if you have seizures or migraine and need to lose weight, too.Jan 29, 2021

Does topiramate cause weight loss? - Drugs.com

https://www.drugs.com › medical-answers › topiramate-w...

It's in the early part of his Tapatalk postings. He says he had a bad experience on it and it made him do "violent" things. He reports having attacked his father unjustly just a few posts later. He has gone off that by that time.

I assume that it was prescribed for his neurological issue which some people think is akin to a seizure disorder. But, when I was on a similar neuro-drug (I have Trigeminal Neuralgia) it did suppress appetite - it suppressed a lot of things. My brain was considerably slower, but I didn't care. I never really thought about the appetite issue, but yeah, I can see how it might help with weight loss. In my case, when I go into remission, the same meds suddenly give me the craziest side effects. I've been in remission now for 10 years, so no meds for me - but it looks like BK was very much still seeking medical treatment and was moving on to thyroid medications (also, of course, with potential for aiding in weight loss).

It simply means, according to Webster, "to clear of responsibility or blame."

He wanted to go back to Idaho and exonerate himself (clear himself).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95