ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And surely, by now, he's able to build the same list of "evidence yet to come." Specifically, the GPS data from his phone and the Google searches he may have done. He probably can think of even more things still to come. Quite sobering and precisely the reason his attorney didn't want to invoke his right to a rapid preliminary.

It'll be a long time before we know what he probably already knows. According to the Latah County Jail website, he gets access to a library (but not a computer). People can also send him things (books, other approved things).

The endless hours for rumination are going to take their toll on BK, IMO.
It said 1 hr per day of library or exercise room or any combination of the two so 23 hrs of rumination, IMO

The close contact required with stabbings could mean more rage, experts say.

Knife vs. Gun: What a Weapon Reveals

But why a knife?

"Anytime somebody commits a murder or assault, either by choking, stabbing or making bodily contact, it always speaks to a level of rage and perhaps a personal connection to the victim that shooting with a gun does not," said Naftali Berrill, a forensic psychologist in New York City.

"When you are stabbing someone, it's close and in your face. The experience is more visceral and more graphic, more provocative. It speaks emotionality, whether rage or paranoia."

Other considerations;
My firearms are purchased through a firearm dealer, with a background check, and they have a s/n on them.

When a round is fired, indentions are made, on the brass. These indentions are much like fingerprints and can be traced back to a firearm, or a type of firearm. If BK was found to have ever had the same firearm he could be connected via the firearm's "fingerprints". There's that pesky problem of finding expelled brass in the dark too, b/c it will have a signature as well (unless he uses a revolver, then reloading may be a problem).

There's also sound in such a tight, close quarter, neighborhood. I'd guess shots heard, in a small college town, are not very common (Unlike here, I hear them frequently, and don't think twice). He'd probably have thoughts about a silencer. If so, he'd have to order a silencer which would leave a paper trail, through the government. A wait for the approval and pick it up at an approved firearms dealer. He could build one himself, so as not to leave a paper trail, but somehow I don't see him as a builder. Thus, the knife. It's possible he's had it for quite a while since he once had dreams of becoming an Army Ranger.

Pure speculation.

Your excellent post made me wonder whether BK would even have been eligible to purchase a firearm. He is reporting seeking medical/neurological care (including taking Topomax). He has a visual disorder (VSS). I do wonder if "rehab" was an involuntary commitment, at least initially.

If, at a young age, he knew that he was in the database of involuntarily committed individuals, that may have influenced his interest in other methods of self-defense (boxing, kickboxing, knives).

Berrill's explanation works for me, because his main (complained of) symptoms of his disorder were lack of feeling (repeatedly complained about over a period of years) and depersonalization. So, in order to feel anything, events need to have a big impact for him. Ordinary daily life may provide few satisfactions for him and he's been dealing with these states since he was 9 (according to himself).

MOD NOTE:

Although opinion pieces are not normally allowed here, @girlrx was considerate in asking for approval to post the following article and this particular piece will be allowed.

Remember, it is much better to ask for permission rather than chance your luck at forgiveness! ;)

Thanks,
Mad

From that article:

These students can be confrontational or subtle, but they’re always preoccupied with the minutiae of the violent details and the staunch belief that they understand the killer in question better than anyone else does. They’re eager to show off. The extreme profiler wannabes want to school me and their other professors with their encyclopedic knowledge of homicidal maniacs, offering long-winded commentary without asking a question, caustically dismissing everyone else’s analysis of the criminal if they disagree. Their attitude is often righteous and self-aggrandizing, unmistakably condescending: I know what I’m talking about. You don’t.

1/12/23

The 911 call alerting law enforcement to the murders of the four University of Idaho students has long been shrouded in mystery after Moscow Police said that the caller initially reported “an unconscious individual” in the home.

[..]

Since then, questions have persisted around why the caller reported an “unconscious individual” when officials described the crime scene as one of the worst they had ever seen.

A potential reason for the mysterious 911 call has now been revealed in Air Mail’s article “The Eyes of a Killer”.

Civilian employees at Whitcom 9-1-1, an agency in Pullman, Washington, handle the 911 calls to the Moscow Police Department as well as several other agencies, according to the report.

The agency is severely understaffed to such an extent that the dispatchers’ guild has previously warned that “our ability to uphold public safety is at risk”.

Under standard protocol, when callers “are agitated” the dispatcher will often assign the call with the generic label of “unconscious person” rather than waste valuable time and resources trying to gather specific details.

Thanks for this, it makes sense.

I couldn't help but notice the absence in the Probable Cause Affidavit of any mention of "blood" being seen on the exterior foundation of the house by the responding LE officers. It would be a relief at this point to know one way or another what that dripping liquid was. The image is disturbing and sparks my imagination every time I see it, even though quantifying the horror of these murders is hardly necessary or productive, IMO.
I agree with your take on this. I am suspicious that they haven’t officially debunked this rumor for the families sake. Additionally, the affidavit seemed to skim over Ethan and his placement, or it seemed so, jmo.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or discussed previously, but there's 1 count of burglary, do we know what has been taken ?

He illegally entered the home in order to murder 4 people, hence the burglary charge.

ETA a comma. Punctuation matters.

I couldn't help but notice the absence in the Probable Cause Affidavit of any mention of "blood" being seen on the exterior foundation of the house by the responding LE officers. It would be a relief at this point to know one way or another what that dripping liquid was. The image is disturbing and sparks my imagination every time I see it, even though quantifying the horror of these murders is hardly necessary or productive, IMO.
that blood seepage has close to zero evidentiary value since it was not spatter, transfer etc.
(I would assume (Ethan?) was close to that wall and that construction was poor)

There’s enough media around this case that disclosing that would be just plain salacious and exactly the opposite of what the court wants as far as tainting a future jury pool.
Moo

IMO I am horrified that he’s requesting name, address & telephone number of DM, have I read that correctly. MOO
The same thing happened in the Wagner case. IIRC, up until and during the trial, the defense kept trying to get this info on an ex wife and key witness. They never succeeded as her life was in danger for testifying against her ex and in laws. Imo.

If BK had such a major injury to his hand that it was still visible a month later in body cam footage, receptionist HIPAA and her boss surely would have noticed at his medical appointment. IMO, he must have had no notable, visible injuries.
While I agree HIPAA Receptionist would probably have blabbed about anything she noticed, I don't think we can assume he had no injuries. I just went to my GP. I didn't disrobe. Nobody pulled up my sleeves and they took my BP on top of my long sleeve sweater. Unless I had a big bandage on my hand, visible stitches or a gnarly looking visible bruise, I don't think either my doctor or the nurse would have noticed a healing or almost healed injury.

The close contact required with stabbings could mean more rage, experts say.

Knife vs. Gun: What a Weapon Reveals

But why a knife?

"Anytime somebody commits a murder or assault, either by choking, stabbing or making bodily contact, it always speaks to a level of rage and perhaps a personal connection to the victim that shooting with a gun does not," said Naftali Berrill, a forensic psychologist in New York City.

"When you are stabbing someone, it's close and in your face. The experience is more visceral and more graphic, more provocative. It speaks emotionality, whether rage or paranoia."

Other considerations;
My firearms are purchased through a firearm dealer, with a background check, and they have a s/n on them.

When a round is fired, indentions are made, on the brass. These indentions are much like fingerprints and can be traced back to a firearm, or a type of firearm. If BK was found to have ever had the same firearm he could be connected via the firearm's "fingerprints". There's that pesky problem of finding expelled brass in the dark too, b/c it will have a signature as well (unless he uses a revolver, then reloading may be a problem).

There's also sound in such a tight, close quarter, neighborhood. I'd guess shots heard, in a small college town, are not very common (Unlike here, I hear them frequently, and don't think twice). He'd probably have thoughts about a silencer. If so, he'd have to order a silencer which would leave a paper trail, through the government. A wait for the approval and pick it up at an approved firearms dealer. He could build one himself, so as not to leave a paper trail, but somehow I don't see him as a builder. Thus, the knife. It's possible he's had it for quite a while since he once had dreams of becoming an Army Ranger.

Pure speculation.

And just to add a point about the ‘silencer,’—they tend to not be very effective, more for lessening hearing loss than for actually ‘silencing’ anything.

I think that the autopsy reports on all four victims were part of that PCA initially (perhaps as an appendix). It was redacted, which is prudent.

But in that section, I expect we would learn about body placement and injuries of all four victims. At this point in time, with so long to trial, I can understand why it's redacted.

Your excellent post made me wonder whether BK would even have been eligible to purchase a firearm. He is reporting seeking medical/neurological care (including taking Topomax). He has a visual disorder (VSS). I do wonder if "rehab" was an involuntary commitment, at least initially.

If, at a young age, he knew that he was in the database of involuntarily committed individuals, that may have influenced his interest in other methods of self-defense (boxing, kickboxing, knives).

Berrill's explanation works for me, because his main (complained of) symptoms of his disorder were lack of feeling (repeatedly complained about over a period of years) and depersonalization. So, in order to feel anything, events need to have a big impact for him. Ordinary daily life may provide few satisfactions for him and he's been dealing with these states since he was 9 (according to himself).
where was the info on Topomax? It apparently can cause significant weight loss
Is Topamax used for weight loss?

Yes, topiramate (Topamax) has been shown to cause weight loss when used for both seizure control and migraine prevention. Topiramate (used by itself) is not specifically approved by the FDA for weight loss, but some doctors may prescribe it if you have seizures or migraine and need to lose weight, too.Jan 29, 2021

Does topiramate cause weight loss? - Drugs.com

https://www.drugs.com › medical-answers › topiramate-w...

Can someone help me understand his PA lawyer using the word “exonerated” vs saying BK is innocent or not guilty?

Correct me if I am wrong (no background in legal or LE). I thought exoneration is the term used when someone has been wrongfully CONVICTED and is cleared (exonerated).

Keep explanations simple for my simple mind, thank you!

We have no way of knowing any of that. You can dig around in just about anyone's past and find details you can spin into some 'we all knew that was coming'. It is primarily people molding past events to justify future events using hindsight because it is always 20/20.

Look at these boards, full of people talking about 'he has evil eyes' and such. If they met BK on the street last September in person he would've just been another ordinary guy. People let emotion influence their opinion, they want to make those who do evil a monster.
I'm not basing my comments on feelings.

He was bullied & used heroin at a very young age. Factual? 99% chance of that answer being yes based on reports in the media.

I won't go on at length though I could. Plenty of facts will be found that shock the emotions but are still FACTS.

I'm not piling on the guy because I find his facial expressions creepy. Never have. Check the threads.

I am puzzled by the setup of a facts vs emotions dichotomy. The facts we have & will likely come to know will affect any rational person's emotions. That won't change them from facts to speculation based on feelings.

MOO

Can someone help me understand his PA lawyer using the word “exonerated” vs saying BK is innocent or not guilty?

Correct me if I am wrong (no background in legal or LE). I thought exoneration is the term used when someone has been wrongfully CONVICTED and is cleared (exonerated).

Keep explanations simple for my simple mind, thank you!

Unless it's behind the police car I'm not seeing the jeep. This is from an article posted 11/16. It seems like it took LE awhile to tow the cars away. It seems like I remember seeing it towed. Not sure anymore. JMO
4 Idaho college students killed in 'targeted attack,' no suspects in custody

It's curious that 4 seconds into the video within that same article the Jeep is visible.
View attachment 395130
View attachment 395131
Its there, the bottom pic is deceiving and an odd angle, however look in the middle way to the left and you can see the front edge of the Jeeps front right tire, right behind that bag thats close to the fence.

I also remember it being towed and impounded because it wasn't towed with a flatbed tow truck (Im a car guy) and that was the wrong way to tow a 4x4 Jeep and it stood out to me.

What Im curious about is what E's mother said when about two of the families cars being impounded along with a set of golf clubs (I made a post yesterday with the link). Why two vehicles and why impounded for so long...I know K's Range Rover was released within a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95