ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he will end up pleading guilty, though I don't believe "he thinks he committed the perfect crime." I think he will plead guilty because he'll come to realize - after seeing all the evidence - that he's likely to be convicted and face the death penalty. He'll also realize that the evidence and testimony is likely to be extremely embarrassing to himself personally, and I think that's something he couldn't stand. So, he'll plead guilty to avoid the death penalty and spare himself major personal embarrassment, knowing that he can spend the rest of his life in prison reading and writing about criminology, giving out interviews to journalists of his choosing, etc.

Exactly. Same life as before, just on the other side of the table, so to speak. I imagine that by the time he's finished his sentence, decades from now, inmates will get more computer access than they do today.

OTOH, Idaho is not a "pamper the prisoner" kind of state, so perhaps BK has seen the last of the internet and of that type of research he's had at his fingertips for nearly all of his life.

Although this may seem inconceivable for some, hear me out.

I think BK committed the murders in such a vicious manner so they resembled a "crime of passion".

This was the first thing I thought (wow, super vicious murders, must have been a "rage killing" or a "professional hit" made to look like a rage killing) and is still the last thing I think about as each day goes by: who would have a reason to do such a thing to these innocents?

And then a light finally went off in my head when I read this article -- that the murders were committed in this manner to Look Like A Crime Of Passion, to turn LE and everyone's focus on people in the victim's lives that might have been so emotional about one thing or another that they lashed out like that. But that just doesn't hang, IMO, hence the unsettling feeling that the crimes were meticulously planned in terms of execution but were not committed by "the right person" if that makes sense.

JMOO

"The U.S. Sun
NO LEADS

Idaho murders suspect told neighbor killings were a ‘crime of passion'​

• Published: 15:22 ET, Jan 13 2023
  • Updated: 16:26 ET, Jan 13 2023
A NEIGHBOR of the Idaho murders suspect has shared a conversation they had with him days after the killings where the alleged attacker called the stabbings a crime of passion.

The anonymous neighbor said that Kohberger had approached them days after the killings, wanting to talk about the topic.

"He brought it up in conversation," the neighbor said.

“He asked if I had heard about the murders, which I did.

“And then he said, 'Yeah, seems like they have no leads. Seems like it was a crime of passion.’”"

Idaho murders suspect told neighbor killings were a 'crime of passion'

Wow. "The source, who works for the university and has direct knowledge of the department, is warning that the research tools, in the wrong hands, could have allowed a suspected killer to view unredacted crime scene images, potential videos of death and even live streams of surveillance cameras with remote controls that allow the viewer to zoom in on faces."

It should be noted, however, that the Moscow Police Department does not participate in this crime lab at WSU, so no bodycam images or videos of crime scenes from the City of Moscow were accessible to BK through his potential use of this lab at WSU.

Oh my, I hope there's more to this opinion than assuming a guy from one biometrics firm giving a quote to the New Yorker of all magazines...
The New Yorker? One of the most respected magazines, with very rigorous journalistic standards? I'm happy to hear these views contrary to what many others feel about cellphone data, DNA etc.

Although this may seem inconceivable for some, hear me out.

I think BK committed the murders in such a vicious manner so they resembled a "crime of passion".

This was the first thing I thought (wow, super vicious murders, must have been a "rage killing" or a "professional hit" made to look like a rage killing) and is still the last thing I think about as each day goes by: who would have a reason to do such a thing to these innocents?

And then a light finally went off in my head when I read this article -- that the murders were committed in this manner to Look Like A Crime Of Passion, to turn LE and everyone's focus on people in the victim's lives that might have been so emotional about one thing or another that they lashed out like that. But that just doesn't hang, IMO, hence the unsettling feeling that the crimes were meticulously planned in terms of execution but were not committed by "the right person" if that makes sense.
Interesting theory!
I'm not sure you could butcher 4 people in a non-vicious manner, but we don't know for sure if he went "above and beyond" in this case. If that was his intention it appears he succeeded based on the original statement by the mayor.

It was BK that used it. Thought it odd as well.

“It is a little out of character. He said this is not him,” LaBar said on NBC. “He believes he’s going to be exonerated. That’s what he believes. Those were his words. So he’s really been very easy to talk to, actually, and he’s in a calm demeanor.”

I get that bullying is a problem. But many mass shooters were actually the bullies, or their personalities are so off putting that other kids wanted nothing to do with them. Kids do not want to hang out with other kids who they sense could be a danger or unkind to them. I would want my kid to trust their gut. So if a kid is isolated and sitting by himself at lunch, we need to ask why and does this child contribute to his own situation. Take the Uvalde shooter for instance. His own teachers and fellow students were afraid of him. Among other things, he was killing cats and carrying them around in bags. And yet the media put out that he was bullied, when it was quite the opposite. Imo.
Did anyone know about the cats? If so, what action was taken?

This tower search site gives over 100 cell towers for Moscow, ID:

Not all of them are owned by carriers, some are for public buildings - but they would all be pinged by people's phones while passing by.

There are 126 towers and antennas (which act as towers do, just with a smaller range and are usually classified as "cell towers" by MSM and members of the public who are looking for connectivity).
So you’re saying all of those antennas would provide cell service/pings? Even the antenna at Kentucky fried chicken?
But if we are counting antennas too, my non-urban college town has 277 towers, and 265 antennas for a total of 542. And Moscow only has 126? Seems like they are spread a bit thinner than most.

Would the prison system allow that to happen? Don't they check incoming mail?

They sure do (and Latah County states clearly on its jail web page that prisoners will not receive any mail if it's from any other inmate/prisoner).

It's a small jail. I have much confidence that every piece of incoming mail is scrutinized.

Going by comments from people at work and school he was a loner.
I'm certainly in no position to determine whether or not BK committed this crime, but I do know what it's like to be so busy that I'm losing friends, let alone making them. I wonder if being in a doctoral program is just such a busy time? But there are accounts of him chatting up his neighbors and trying to make plans, just not being able to make it work because schedules didn't connect.

Would the prison system allow that to happen? Don't they check incoming mail?

They sure do (and Latah County states clearly on its jail web page that prisoners will not receive any mail if it's from any other inmate/prisoner).

It's a small jail. I have much confidence that every piece of incoming mail is scrutinized. They even have a service to facilitate sending cards, letters and pictures to inmates:

But, IMO, not by choice.
He seemed to desperately try to fit in (unsuccessfully) all his life.

JMO
Sadly he faced mental issues growing up. Now that his posts have been verified by independent sources it's no longer a matter of rumor and guesswork.

Edit to add: This is not in any way meant to diminish the victims of the horrific crimes, but rather to point out the cascade effect that may have occurred due to the accused's mental health conditions.

Last edited:
IMO MOO The white car on video is also very week. They dont have a license plate, they dont have a real eyewitness, they dont have any clear pics of it and they broadcasted that they were looking for a 2011-2013 Elantra and only changed it to a 2015 when they found out BCK had a 2015.

IMO Any good defense attorney can easily create plenty of Reasonable Doubt with all three of these circumstantial pieces of evidence. (Pings, Video & that particular type DNA and what it was found on) again MOO

If BCK is indeed the sole perpetrator of these murders I hope the prosecution has some solid evidence to bring to the table.
Speaking of cell pings, I found this article interesting. His phone didn't ping near the house during the time of the murders. Now, that doesn't mean he wasn't there, just that his cell pings don't place him there.

In late December, investigators worked through cellphone records, attempting to uncover whether his phone had pinged cellphone towers near the crime scene or on routes to and from it.

An initial search showed that his phone did not, in fact, ping any cellphone towers near the crime scene on Nov. 13 between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m.

But investigators noted that a lack of cellphone pings could be "an effort to avoid alerting law enforcement" of one's proximity to a crime scene, they said.

Expanding their search, authorities discovered that Kohberger's phone pinged cell towers in Pullman around 2:47 a.m., consistent with the phone departing Kohberger's residence "and traveling south through Pullman," the affidavit says.

That was the last ping for about two hours, investigators said.

Then at 4:48 a.m., the phone appeared on the network again, pinging along highways south of Moscow, then west across the border into Washington state and then back north toward Pullman — a timeline that aligns with security footage of the white Elantra, investigators noted.

The disappearance of the phone from the network for two hours was consistent with an effort "to conceal his location during the quadruple homicide," the affidavit says.

(the arrest affidavit concurs with this info)

Thanks.

When the 28-year-old Ph.D. student was asked why he had been in Moscow – an eight-mile drive from his apartment in Pullman, Washington – he allegedly retorted, "The shopping is better in Idaho."

IMO I think this statement is taken out of context. I have friends who live in Moscow, and have a business in Pullman, and several times I have heard them tell employees in Pullman they would buy supplies in Moscow. The reason being sales tax rates. Washington is 8.9% in Spokane and Moscow would be 6%. It really is not a huge difference in cost, but I have heard this statement so it is not a joke in my mind as the article states.

We do similar in the Boise area, we will visit Oregon where there is no sales tax for larger purchases.

I know, I know, you are supposed to report it on your income tax return, which of course we are fastidious at doing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo