ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way he drives (and draws attention to himself, seemingly without thought) reminds me of my cat who will hide behind a sheer curtain, with paws and tail clearly visible, convinced that no one can see her. Someone (maybe @10ofRods) said that it was like the car was his safe place and nothing could happen to him (my apologies if I have misremembered the original point). I've been driving for 55 years (yikes) and never got 3 tickets for anything other than an expired meter, let alone 3 tickets in a few months and 2 within an hour of each other.
The word 'reckless' recently came to me -from what we have about his overall driving that night. MOO

Edit: grammar

IMO, is it possible that BK wanted to live at 1122 King Rd and that’s why he was contacting the roommates?
I can't say it is IMpossible, but at the unis where I've studied and/or taught, parking was often harder to get than housing. Depending on WSU's rules, BK might have lost his parking permit if he didn't live on campus; he might also have lost his housing subsidy as a WSU TA (if he had such a subsidy).

All to move 10 miles away from where he worked and attended classes. Sounds like a long shot to me, but it's hard to prove a negative.

Ive just read many posts tonight’s on the new the neighbor genetic test discussion and all of a sudden people are wondering if the LE statement on the arrest coming from a familial DNA sample is accurate…. Etc. confusion in general now if BK himself took a national database DNA test on his ancestry.

Personally I am trusting of LE in such a high profile case. I feel like it would be unwise to state that they made the match on a relative in the database and not him if he was actually in there..
None of that. LE never made any such statements, either in interviews or the PCA. The PCA says nothing about genealogy databases. The match was made between the sample at the crime scene on the sheath and the sample taken from the trash where BK was staying when he was arrested.

The shock of seeing a stranger in the house late at night could also limit what she noticed and/or remembered. The clothes, the mask, the eyebrows--that's a lot to register in a few seconds.
IMO, if DM's statement enters evidence that will be part of the line the defense will take to try and limit the credibility of what she saw - just the basic descripters - height, build, eyebrows. MOO

It looks like the State uses UT time and was in the Eastern time zone and the deputy was in the central time zone. Time zone change possibly in that short of distance??
What is "UT time"?

Even assuming the two stops took place in different zones (EST and CST), that would only account for one hour of the more than five-hour difference between the body cams.

I still think--i.e., JMO--that one of the body cams was inaccurate in terms of clock time.

Yes, you're both correct. I just think that LE does not want to state the exact time in the PCA. There is no benefit in doing so, while there might a benefit of not doing so - given, that the DD driver might have been a witness to, say, a white Elantra. Or anything else useful. And BK might or might not have been witness to the DD. So I just keep my mind open for future surprises.
All the times in the PCA are presented as approximate. IMO that is simply a standard practice for these kind of Probable Cause docs when presenting the most probable timeline. I could be wrong ofcourse as this is MOO.

None of that. LE never made any such statements, either in interviews or the PCA. The PCA says nothing about genealogy databases. The match was made between the sample at the crime scene on the sheath and the sample taken from the trash where BK was staying when he was arrested.
MOO- I agree with you completely and definitely messed my words up. I was trying to explain that the match that ultimately had him arrested was the trash sample with fathers dna that matched the knife sheath with enough accuracy to determine the killer was BK. Sample belonged to father of the killer.

I absolutely should have been more cognizant and careful with my words on the speculative reports I read about familial dna evidence having been used before the trash sample.

Again… anyone reading this or that… that’s still speculative and I should have prefaced that or left it out.

MOO- However I’ve attached a link to explain what I was referring to previously. While you are 100% correct… it has not been confirmed or officially publicly released… it has been reported / speculated that was not the only dna connection made and possibly not the first and that in some fashion… familial dna database searched was possibly used and was potentially the prime reason they began surveillance on BK.

Again, you are completely validated in calling me out on mentioning it above… I’m sorry I should have left speculation out…

This article specifically discusses how they find it unusual it was left out of the affidavit.

Again… I’m sorry, I will be more careful with how I word things.

What is "UT time"?

Even assuming the two stops took place in different zones (EST and CST), that would only account for one hour of the more than five-hour difference between the body cams.

I still think--i.e., JMO--that one of the body cams was inaccurate in terms of clock time.
Looks like UT -6 or -5 in Indiana.

When it’s noon in Greenwich UK, it either 6am or 7am in Indiana.

Time Zones Currently Being Used in Indiana
OffsetTime Zone Abbreviation & NameCurrent Time
UTC -6CSTSat, 2:35:32 am
UTC -5ESTSat, 3:35:32 am

Odd how the dates on some comments were recorded in error (apparently by Instagram itself, which uses an atomic clock).

Can you explain how the one account posted 3 weeks before the murders? Is there an app that can defeat Instagram's own timestamps?

There were a bunch of bogus accounts (name changes, new accounts) after the arrest. We are talking about posting that occurred, according to Insta, before the arrest. I myself am very puzzled how that could happen.
Yes, but you can't set aside the fact that the posts are time-stamped.
Now if you both are talking about Instagram and posts there and concluding that an account attributed to BK is not fake if it has posts before BKs name was public, then this is not the case.
It is very easy to change your name on Instagram. People get married all the time. Anyone could change the name of their account to BK and still have all their posts with all their timestamps (and could delete any photos that would give up their non-BK identity).
If you are talking about an account attributed to BK not being fake due to there being these messages to one victim that are timestamped before BKs name went public, then this is indeed a bit trickier - the name change works the same way, obviously, but just because such specific messages would have to have really been sent. But for me the red flag is that no-one can see the messages unless logged into the account (or given data by IG I suppose). MOO: I really really doubt that a tabloid gained actual login information to the account. And it's very easy to create fake screenshots and send them to a magazine to cash in.
Question for those who have experience with Phd level academic schedules: WSU's academic calendar shows the first day of instruction was August 22nd. Would that also be true for the Phd calendar? And is there anything for a student to do, or anyone to supervise them prior to that first day of instruction? I keep seeing that he started his studies in July, and I'm just confused about how he could have begun his studies a month before the first day or instruction. Thanks!
PhD students do a year or two of coursework before they even get into the nitty gritty of a dissertation (and often have to pass oral and/or written exams before they advance to that stage in the program). I find it highly unlikely he was already working on a dissertation before he even began coursework. MOO
Technically, it is possible to be working on your articles with your supervisor before the academic year starts. And even before you're officially immatriculated to the programme, or sometimes even before you're been accepted at all. I did just that and several of my friends have, too. But this is based on a previous research relationship with the supervisor, be it your MSc thesis or through your job - and I guess way more common in Europe than the US, due to the education system being rather different.
MOO: BK does not seem to have had any relationship like that with the school or supervisor, so in his case, I think it is unlikely, though not impossible. (We have not heard from the supervisor at all, tbh, so there could be stuff like that that we're unaware of) Also phd students are often used as cheap workforce to fill in any other projects that the supervisor needs someone at. This is also possible to cause someone to "start with their studies" earlier - meaning working at the lab for no pay on someone elses project because you're scared to fight such orders. But I don't see that happening with BK either.

Last edited:
Anyone who vacuums and runs a garbage disposal in the middle of the night in that style of housing is not being a good neighbor. And yes, I'd guess it must have been frequent and/or prolonged for anyone to mention it.

Didn't we learn at some point (IMO) that he was also taking lots of showers?
BBM: IMO, we can't really know how "accurate" neighbour interviews to the press are in terms of the frequency of what has been allegedly heard. The complications around the 15 minutes of fame phenomena, IMO MOO, also mean that we might be wise to take what is said (re frequency) with a grain of salt. To my mind, I feel like it is a bit like hearsay. JMHO

MOO- I agree with you completely and definitely messed my words up. I was trying to explain that the match that ultimately had him arrested was the trash sample with fathers dna that matched the knife sheath with enough accuracy to determine the killer was BK. Sample belonged to father of the killer.

I absolutely should have been more cognizant and careful with my words on the speculative reports I read about familial dna evidence having been used before the trash sample.

Again… anyone reading this or that… that’s still speculative and I should have prefaced that or left it out.

MOO- However I’ve attached a link to explain what I was referring to previously. While you are 100% correct… it has not been confirmed or officially publicly released… it has been reported / speculated that was not the only dna connection made and possibly not the first and that in some fashion… familial dna database searched was possibly used and was potentially the prime reason they began surveillance on BK.

Again, you are completely validated in calling me out on mentioning it above… I’m sorry I should have left speculation out…

This article specifically discusses how they find it unusual it was left out of the affidavit.

Again… I’m sorry, I will be more careful with how I word things.

I wasn't trying to call you out, I feel bad if it felt that way. I was just trying to keep the record straight. While we have plenty of reporting from unnamed sources, none of that has ever been confirmed, and some of it has proved inaccurate. (FBI requesting the traffic stops in Indiana so they could view BK's hands, anyone?)

And in fact there was never any need to use genealogy databases. If you study the PCA you can see how he was identified without it.

Is it possible genealogy databases were used and they are hiding it at the request of the FBI? Sure, I guess. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member