ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 69

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another possibility—this came from a student, who only knows what he or she observed. I think it’s possible that the professor had

Moscow’s Walmart closes at 11 pm now, and Marshalls closes at 9:30 pm. I don’t know what their hours were last fall. According to the affidavit, all but one of the 12 pings were ‘late evening to early morning.’ It’s hard to explain ‘early morning’ pings, unless Walmart has changed its hours recently.

MOO
Plus, there's a Walmart in Pullman. JMO

Another possibility—this came from a student, who only knows what he or she observed. I think it’s possible that the professor had

Moscow’s Walmart closes at 11 pm now, and Marshalls closes at 9:30 pm. I don’t know what their hours were last fall. According to the affidavit, all but one of the 12 pings were ‘late evening to early morning.’ It’s hard to explain ‘early morning’ pings, unless Walmart has changed its hours recently.

MOO
Walmart opens at 6am and closes at 11pm. I'd call that late evening and early morning hours. l assume he shopped then because he's in school during the day.

Walmart opens at 6am and closes at 11pm. I'd call that late evening and early morning hours. l assume he shopped then because he's in school during the day.

Good point—I overlooked the opening times. We’ll have to see what the exact times of the pings were—possibly after June 26?

And, considering that the Walmart in Pullman has the same hours, and is a Supercenter, too—I’d think that’d be more convenient. Of course, it’s possible that there’s a substantial difference in quality between the two stores, or that, the first time he shopped at them, he imagined a difference in quality.

In any case, I hope that the cell phone locations can be pinpointed.

Last edited:
There's online shopping too. Walmart has free delivery for many non-food items-no minimum amount purchase req'd. I use them often.

Why woud he go to those stores in the early am though? Also they would have video and receipts if he went there.
Great point. The Walmart in Moscow is currently open 6am-11pm, so he would not have been at Walmart. Albertsons is 6am to midnight. Marshall's is 9:30-9:30. I don't see shopping as an explanation for his late night presence. JMOOoooo

I agree. Maybe he would have been found eventually but the car really was the key to the case as that ultimately led to him and the DNA on the sheath.

Exactly. The FBI bringing in an expert in car recognition was the key to the solution! You can say what you want to about the FBI, but they are the best in the world in what they do. Never doubt that. You get 30 FBI agents on your tail.. you are in deep doodoo.

Otherwise, the DNA on the sheath would mean nothing because BK had no DNA in the system. LE "may have been" able to tie to to a relative but knowing the white Elantra was identified and put out to LE early and found in Pullman by local LE, speeded up the process exponentially.

Last edited:
You should note that the article is from 2014. That’s over 8 years ago, an eternity when it comes to technological advances. That’s not to say the possibility exists, but if it were me I’d look for a more recent document that addresses the potential for inaccurate geolocating. MOO

Perhaps—Just pointing out that the cell tower evidence by itself does not indicate a strong case. DNA on the other hand….
The DNA on the sheath will be hard for defense to explain away.

The PCA says a “single source of DNA” was found on the sheath.

Even if BK had lost the knife, whoever had it last and used it in the attack should have also left DNA on it, and it would have likely obscured BK’s.

You should note that the article is from 2014. That’s over 8 years ago, an eternity when it comes to technological advances. That’s not to say the possibility exists, but if it were me I’d look for a more recent document that addresses the potential for inaccurate geolocating. MOO
I am certainly not an expert on cell tower data, but I do wonder: how much can it change over time when cell tower data is something very specific and explicit that LE can acquire fairly easily when investigating a crime? From my basic understanding, what is acquired from triangulating cell tower data is different than, for example, tracking that is enabled by location based services on third party apps. This technology has certainly improved significantly in just the last few years. Location based services on phones and third party apps are more precise, if turned on, than cell tower data, but it's a different thing entirely.

Still not extremely recent, but here's this:

Denmark frees 32 inmates over flaws in phone geolocation evidence

A quote from the linked article: “We should remember: data is created to help deliver telecom services, not to control citizens or for surveillance,” Willer said. He conceded it could be valuable to police, but insisted its primary purpose was to facilitate communication between users.

he had no reason to be there though, it's residential. not a common area to drive. IMO
His phone can ping without him being in the car, no? If we're discussing the cellphone pings, I don't believe those were alleged to be from times he was necessarily in a car. Either way, passing through a 1-mile radius 12 times in four months a few miles from one's home doesn't seem suspicious to me on its own.

FWIW… published 2 hours ago.

BuzzFeed News asked People about Fischer disputing the reporting in the Mad Greek story and whether the outlet was sure its unnamed source was reliable.

In response, a People spokesperson said, "PEOPLE stands by its reporting."
Thank you for posting this, it indeed is very interesting.
One thing that pops out to me is the wording, “investigator familiar with the case”, also that "police were aware of the restaurant visits"... the key word for me is, investigator. I tend to believe what LE says.

I am certainly not an expert on cell tower data, but I do wonder: how much can it change over time when cell tower data is something very specific and explicit that LE can acquire fairly easily when investigating a crime? From my basic understanding, what is acquired from triangulating cell tower data is different than, for example, tracking that is enabled by location based services on third party apps. This technology has certainly improved significantly in just the last few years. Location based services on phones and third party apps are more precise, if turned on, than cell tower data, but it's a different thing entirely.

Still not extremely recent, but here's this:

Denmark frees 32 inmates over flaws in phone geolocation evidence

A quote from the linked article: “We should remember: data is created to help deliver telecom services, not to control citizens or for surveillance,” Willer said. He conceded it could be valuable to police, but insisted its primary purpose was to facilitate communication between users.
It’s also been mentioned in several articles related to the geolocating of BK’s phone is that it coincides with video evidence collected of the Elantra. That to me is corroborating evidence. MOO

It’s also been mentioned in several articles related to the geolocating of BK’s phone is that it coincides with video evidence collected of the Elantra. That to me is corroborating evidence. MOO
Yes, there is a lot of corroborating evidence that strengthens the validity of the cell tower data. There is also DNA at the crime scene. I'm just sharing additional sources about the potential problems with cell tower data, which is an ongoing conversation related to this case and the information released in the PCA.

Also, while we know that the Elantra has been captured on CCTV / surveillance footage, I wonder if the license plate ever was? Was footage captured that clearly showed his face when driving? We know from the PCA that a trip to Albertson's was likely included because it showed BK at the store, his cell phone pinging the nearby tower, and his Elantra in the parking lot. Therefore, there is evidence that it's his car that he regularly drove, his cell phone, and his "person," so to speak. This also corroborates other cell tower data included in the PCA.

As the investigation and discovery period progresses, I am curious if another reason for his repeated visits to Moscow might emerge, or if the defense will try and manufacture one. IMO.

Do they verify that their source is reliable by proof of employment or does this person have to provide credible evidence of their statement?
I work in media. Determining reliability differs in different situations. Double sourcing is ideal (two unrelated/unconnected people describing the same event, for example). For a single source who may not want to be named (this isn't always a sign that the info isn't true; the person simply may not want to risk their job or privacy), you'd like corroboration that they are who they claim to be. In this case, proof that this person did work at MG during the period BK lived near enough to be a patron should be easy to show to a media outlet. It also helps if someone has unique information about the situation. In this case, the behavior described by the witness is behavior anyone could guess even if they barely followed the case. Notoriously picky vegan orders vegan food and asks for the staff to avoid cross-contamination? Not a shocker. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not counting on this story as evidence; I'm just waiting for more DNA information and other "hard" evidence to be announced by LE!

Even with that explanation, it still strikes me as quite pointed at BK. It would be different if the TA agreed to this (I'm not sure that he did), but I'd think it would be more appropriate to have them debate something less contentious and personal than their grading and to not put the TA on the spot like that. Unless you wanted them put on the spot, which is increasingly what I am thinking. MOO
I wonder when he was made to defend his grading methods. Perhaps this was his "trigger" that lead to the violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth