ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022 ****Media Thread**** NO DISCUSSION

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
TRANSCRIPT.

CAPTAIN GIVES BRIEF UPDATE

12TH DECEMBER.

Captain - Good morning, my name's Roger Lanier. I'm the Captain with the Moscow Police Department. I'm in charge of the Operations Division. And today is Dec. 12th, Monday. I want to give you an update on the King Rd. homicide investigations, at least the information that we have to this point. Over the weekend, investigators still continued to sort through numerous tips, calls and online tips in regard to this investigation.

There's been a lot of questions about the white car that we've been interested in. We're looking for that car because we believe, through our investigation, that that car was in the area during the time of the murders and we also believe that the occupant or occupants may have seen something. They may not know they've seen something. So, we specifically want to talk to them and we want to know who they are and what they might know or might be able to contribute to the investigation.

Over the weekend, investigators have sorted through and prioritised numerous tips. Some are tips that came in earlier and we've been working on. Other tips are new and are relevant. It's overwhelming sometimes with the amount of information that comes in on these tip lines. So, our analysts have spent hours sorting through and trying to come up with the most relevant tips first for the investigators to follow up on. They have re-interviewed some of the folks we've interviewed earlier in this investigation to clarify information. Sometimes when new information comes forward, the people that we've spoken to beforehand may have new insight on that. So, it does often seem like we're backtracking but we're really just trying to get the most important details and the best timeline that we can come up with.

We have literally an army of analysts who have been sorting through videos that have been submitted through the fbi.gov.moscow upload site. Those videos are from all over town, gas stations and specifically the area around King Rd. We've been trying to use those videos to garner new information. As you can imagine, there's hours and hours and hours of videos, so it does take a lot of time.

I want to talk a minute about safety. There's been a lot of speculation about what is the safety to the public right now or the risk to the public right now. I would just like to add that we should always be vigilant. Certainly we should be vigilant now, but we should make that a way of life for us. We should always be walking with our head up, sticking to lighted paths and walking in groups, if we can. In addition, letting people know when you've arrived home if you have not made prior arrangements. This is not an indication of a specific elevated risk, but something that we should be vigilant with just in our daily lives.

I want let everybody know that we are still 100% committed to solving this crime. There's a lot of information to sort through and the information keeps coming in and not all of the information is relevant. But you don't know if a tip is valid until you take the time to examine that tip and see how it relates to other information that you might have. We have teams in Moscow, Salt Lake City and in Virginia, as well as other locations across the country and we're prepared to do interviews and follow up on information at any point, anywhere. The ISP and FBI investigators along with the Moscow Police Department investigators, includes dozens of analysts, tip line operators and others. And they're working around the clock, seven days a week, to sort through the volumes of information. MPD has detectives, support personnel and a communications team to try to keep everything together, but it is still a daunting task. The FBI, their investigators, are ready at a moments notice at any place in the country to go conduct an interview should the tips and leads take us there. And, the Idaho State Police has, besides working on the investigation, had several uniformed troopers in the area to help with safety concerns around the city and on the University of Idaho campus.

Just a quick reminder. Please stick to official news releases for information. Tracking down rumours and quelling rumours about specific individuals or specific events that may or may not have happened is a huge distraction for investigators and oftentimes is the result of social media propagation and it is very, very frustrating to investigators and hard to stay on track.

Finally I just want to add that we do have a lot of information and we are specifically keeping that information safe. We're not releasing specific details because we do not want to compromise this investigation. It's what we must do. We owe that to the families and we owe that to the victims. We want more than just an arrest. We want a conviction. We owe that justice to Xana, Kaylee, Madison and Ethan.

And finally, I would just like remind anybody with information - you can call the tip line at 208-883-7180 and that is directly to the tip line office in the FBI. There's been some frustration about having to wade through the tip line, but remember this is not the only investigation in the country. So, please be patient. We want that information. Anything could break this open for us and then also the e-mail tip line is tipline@CI.moscow.ID.US. Thank you for your continued patience in this investigation.

Internet sleuths spot mystery group walking in background of bodycam footage two doors down from Idaho murder house just ten minutes before cops announced gruesome deaths of four students

• A group of people could be spotted walking hurriedly past police near the home where four Idaho University students were slain
  • Bodycam footage of officers stopping three students for suspected drunk driving, revealed the group passing by in the background
  • The incident took place just moments before police suspect the murders took place, and only two houses down from the crime scene
  • Police have said bodycam videos hold no evidence in the case, but it remains unclear if they've identified and interviewed the group walking by
  • Little headway has been revealed in the case as a month has gone by without arrests, leading to rampant theories spreading on social media

TRANSCRIPT
CAPTAIN LANIER REFLECTS ON INVESTIGATION SO FAR

13TH DECEMBER.

Question - Talk about the first time you heard about what happened. How did you react?. What were your first steps as an investigator?.

Captain - Yeah, well, it was hard. I got called at home. It was on a Sunday afternoon, and it took me a second, I really had to think about what I had just heard. Four murders in Moscow ID. is so out of character, and at the time they were fairly certain it was college students and it was near the campus and that area is kind of the campus community.

So, once I got over the initial shock, I knew that I was coming to the station. So, I drove in and everybody just kind of fell into a role. That was an all hands on deck moment. Sunday afternoon it became fairly apparent, when I got to the scene, that we were going to need resources outside of just what the Moscow Police Department could provide. And, we have a very, very good working relationship with the Idaho State Police. We knew what their capabilities were, and so that was the first call that we made, to have their investigative team come up and help us process the scene.

The scene wasn't chaos, you know, the neighbourhood, but it was very, very sombre. Like I said, that is a community of college students that live over there. Many of them through word of mouth, knew what had happened. They were standing outside. There was a lot of crying. There were friends trying to find out who exactly was inside the house. Some family members that arrived on scene, it was incredibly hard for the community, but it was also really, really hard on our officers, some of whom were very young and that was the first real major crime scene that they had encountered. So, emotionally it was a very, very draining day.

Resources came and then the first, about, three days was just an adjustment trying to get resources in place and then get a system that worked for everybody. The FBI got involved almost immediately, and the FBI, the Idaho State Police and the Moscow Police Department all have a little bit different way of doing things and that's okay, but when you're working collectively, you have to put a system in place that starts information flowing and you can handle it in a logical manner. So, fortunately, the FBI have some experience in those areas and they were very, very good at helping us set up their virtual command post. And then once everything was in place, it became a very, very systematic method of processing the information that was coming in.

Question - Can you sum up the last month in terms of the investigation?.

Captain - Yeah, a lot of emotional highs and lows, but an incredible amount of teamwork. The general public doesn't have any idea the scope of this investigation, the number of people that are involved, not just here in Moscow, but investigating and interview teams in the northern part of Idaho, the southern part of Idaho, the eastern part of Idaho, resources from the Salt Lake City FBI Office, analysts back in Virginia, and the number of people that have flown here or driven here from great distances to just lend their specialty to this investigation. We had the FBI's command post in our parking lot, and we've hooked him up to Wi-Fi and everything that they would normally do down in Salt Lake City, they're doing right here in our parking lot. So, the team effort has been amazing. It's been overwhelming at times, but there are so many people with so much expertise. Somebody always steps up and takes the role that needs to be filled.

Question - What role has speculation/rumours and the conversations on social media played in the investigation?.

Captain - Yeah, that has been by far the most frustrating part of this. We've always closely guarded the information that we've discovered at the scene and our investigative information, because we want to protect the integrity of this investigation. And, just look at social media and the rumours that fly out there. A small piece of information that has speculation added to it just takes its own life on the internet and starts rumours. And, then we find ourselves not only tracking those rumours down and trying to quell them, but also we see our tips that come in are geared more toward the rumour, not the facts, that have been put out. And, the really unfortunate part of it is, the effect that it has had on the victims families, on the college students and friends of the victims. Some of whom have had death threats and constant harassment by various media outlets. So, it's been devastating in some ways, in many ways, it just re victimises folks who have already suffered this terrible trauma.

Question - What is next for this investigation?.

Captain - Well, this investigation is not cold. We get tips everyday that are viable. We get dozens and dozens of tips, we sort through them and we prioritise them and, for sure, some of them are not good tips, they're not even relevant to the case, but every single day we get a good amount of viable tips and those tips help us do everything from, clear people who maybe there was some speculation about, to further some of the theories that we're working on. So, the next, is just to continue on what we're doing, eliminate the information that we know is not going to be relevant to the investigation and take all the new information and eventually, and we see this coming, eventually, we're going to narrow in on exactly what happened and who did it.

Pointing photo

Rsbm

AL9nZEVjfNz5IQabVjWuHeqJ7aGEo6ZU6U0sghmvxUooqBChntyw6tazU3T8oJC0UH0euNMyhTO7SpvnU5MDTWaAF3OOXL33mmryJ0kQyPYjghWenbSlX_yviDYgR3CPoUvYmqTQPTv2SQaPW3xs7SrHWtmzTA=w760-h834-no

Nancy Grace Podcast:

Rsbm. One of her guests, David Leroy, speaks of the street accessibility around the house.
Segment begins around 20:00

• David Leroy - Attorney at Law (Boise, ID); Former Idaho Attorney General; Former Idaho Lieutenant Governor & Former Prosecutor (Ada County)

12/13/22

MOSCOW, Idaho – EXCLUSIVE: Detectives collected eight hours of surveillance video Tuesday morning from a gas station in Moscow where a clerk saw a white sedan passing by at 3:45 a.m. on the night of the unsolved stabbing deaths of four University of Idaho students, according store workers.

An overnight assistant manager told Fox News Digital that she's been reviewing the tapes a little bit at a time over the past few days, looking for clues in her downtime on the graveyard shift. She said she was not working on the night of the murders.

Monday night, she said, she reached the 3 o'clock hour and spotted the car. She said she took a picture of the screen and sent it to an email address police set up to receive tips.

12/14/22

FIRST ON FOX: The Moscow, Idaho, coroner, who also happens to run her own law office in the center of town, said the toxicology reports for four slain University of Idaho students aren’t relevant to the case. “They can be related to cause or manner of death, but they are not in this case,” Cathy Mabbutt said of the tests that determine whether alcohol or drugs were in a person’s system when they died. She added that the results are unlikely to offer any new clues for investigators.

The autopsies were performed by the Spokane Medical Examiner’s Office, but the full reports won’t reach Mabbutt’s hands until the toxicology results are back from the lab — typically three to eight weeks after the specimens are collected, she said. As of Thursday, the coroner had not received the results. Mabbutt, who was elected Latah County coroner in 2006, was tasked with determining the cause and manner of death for murdered students Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Madison Mogen, 21, Ethan Chapin, 20, and Xana Kernodle, 20.

[..]

Mabbutt told Fox News Digital in a sit-down interview Thursday. Mabbutt visited the crime scene and reached out to each family member to disclose details from the autopsies. The students were ambushed as they slept in their beds at 1122 King Road with a large fixed-blade knife, according to police and Mabbutt. Each victim had multiple stab wounds. “It had to be a really big knife to inflict those injuries and kill four people,” she said. Kaylee Goncalves’ father told Fox News Digital in an exclusive interview Sunday that Mabbutt described the wounds as “tears” and “big open gouges.”

[..]

At least one victim had defensive wounds, which suggested she awoke during the attack, Mabbutt noted. “I deal with a lot of sadness, but this is pretty extreme,” she said. “It’s pretty unusual for us to get homicides, let alone four at a time.” Her duties as coroner involve investigating one to two suspicious deaths a week, and given her primary job as a defense lawyer, the two roles can intersect.

12/10/22

The University’s winter graduation ceremony on Saturday began with Green addressing the recent loss to the Vandal and Moscow community.

“I want to acknowledge an enormous loss, in our vandal family recently,” Green said. “Ethan Chapin, Xana Kernodle, Maddie Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves were taken from all of us far too soon by a senseless act of violence.”

Goncalves was supposed to graduate this December.

“They were bright lights on our campus and cherished members of our community,” Green said.

To finish off the University’s recognition of those students, Green asked everyone to take a moment of silence.

“Let’s honor their memory with a moment of silence, right now followed by a song by the Vandaleers, that honors the students we lost as well as those students graduating today,” Green said.

Over 550 students took the stage to accept their diplomas. U of I and the Moscow community are still dealing with the tragic loss of these four students.

THIS INTERVIEW IS NOT NEW. IT WAS DONE ABOUT 5 DAYS AFTER THE MURDERS, JUST HADN'T GOT AROUND TO FINISHING IT UNTIL NOW.

TRANSCRIPT OF INTERVIEW WITH KAYLEE'S MOM, SISTER AND AUNT

21ST NOVEMBER.

Reporter - First off, the map that just came out from police, it gives a little bit of a timeline of where they may have been that night. Does that map mesh up with the timeline that you've been putting together?.

Sister - Yeah, I'd say it's very close. I'd say, if you have any closer details to kind of hone in, 1:45 could be very vague. Maybe it's closer to 1:50, let us know if you have anything concrete, because right now concrete is what we can go off of.

Reporter - In terms of the details, you said it's close. Does that frustrate you, that it's close?.

Sister - I do, but right now we're still trusting authorities that it's not going to be 20 minutes here, 15 minutes here, that's breaking this, but yeah, I implore everyone, if they know something different, bring it to the police because if they want to tighten up that timeline, we stand with that.

Reporter - It seems like there's just a very big gap when it comes to Ethan and Xana. Do you know where they might have been?.

Sister - I don't, unfortunately. I know nothing about that.

Mom - We have no idea where they were, but we do have a pretty tight timeline on Kaylee and Maddie and it is close to what they are posting, but it is a difference and that difference actually could be huge. I mean it could be, it could not be, but 1:45, 1:59, so there is... and we have corroborated with my phone records, Kaylee's phone records, the driver that was driving them around is pretty concrete.

Reporter - Yeah, so you have pulled video seeing the Uber driver dropping them off. You've checked your phone records, you know the time stamps, what time they got home?. It's not exactly what police are saying, right?.

Sister - Right.

Mom - It's not 1:45.

Sister - Kaylee and Maddie were picked up from their home at 1122 King around 10:15. It's about a 5 minute drive down, so they arrived to Corner Club aound 10:20, which is different than what was released, at 10. We know that Kaylee called for an Uber at 1:45, he arrived at 1:49, got in the car around 1:50. It's about 5-6 minutes drive. They arrived home at 1:56.

Reporter - Is it frustrating that your timeline is based on time stamps from videos and phone records and their timeline doesn't exactly match yours?.

Mom - I just feel like there's a reason they're just putting it out, the estimate. I don't know, because they do have that information from us and they've asked us where we have gotten that information and we have concrete backing. She (sister) put it together.

Sister - It could be conflicting stories. We just don't know. This is the information that I stand behind.

Mom - I think that when they say 1:45, I think they're kind of referring to the whole group arriving approximately at 1:45. I believe that maybe Ethan and Xana, and I don't know, may have gotten home around that time and then the girls, obviously, 1:59ish, is shortly after. So, they're just kind of grouping.. the group arrived home around 1:45 ish, but they were not together and we don't know anything about Ethan and Xana. We do know about Kaylee and Maddie.

Reporter - And some of the time stamping afterwards - you know that your sister was making calls, right?. She was making calls as late as almost 2:00 o'clock. How do you know that?.

Sister - So, she was on my mom's cell plan.

Mom - We pulled my cell plan.

Sister - So, on Sunday I was able to pull those cell records.

Reporter - And you could see that she was calling somebody out?.

Mom and Sister - Yeah.

Reporter - Does it seem like they may have been involved or does it seem like....

Mom - No.

Sister - No, not at all. Kaylee had no shame in, kind of, power calling. So, it fits Kaylee.

Mom - And we know who she was calling and this person is... and this person was asleep, unfortunately, was not getting the calls and it was, I don't know, a few calls between... for half an hour she called him a couple of times and.. but no, it was not.. we do not believe she was calling him for help. We believe that she was just calling him to come over. If Kaylee was in eminent danger, her or Maddie, they would have called 911. They would not have been calling this person.

Reporter - And, that was around 2-2:30?.

Sister - Started around 2:15.

Mom - So, yes around that time we believe that the girls were just fine.

Reporter - So, from those phone records, it looks like the girls may have been alive around 2:30ish?.

Mom - 2:30 is what - the last call?.

Sister - Erm, no. The last call is shortly before 3:00 am.

Mom - That's right, shortly after 2:50 something.

Sister - 2:52, for both of them.

Reporter - It's now been five days and still no killer. Still no motive. How are you guys holding up?.

Sister - Yeah, I think it's different for everyone. They... obviously, you know, they were the same people to us, but they were different to all of us. To my mom, it was a daughter, to my aunt they were nieces, to me they were sisters and we all had different, very complex and amazing relationships with both of them. So, it's going to feel different.

Aunt - Empty.

Mom - Kaylee just left home, she just left on Friday.. she left on Friday morning to go to a Pi Phi party and she had just bought a brand new Range Rover and she just.. she contemplated all day long, back and forth, whether she should go home because she just really wanted to show it to Maddie and some other friends and whatnot. And, she's just like 'mom, I'm gonna go, I'm gonna go to the Pi Phi party and I'm gonna.. Maddie's gotta see my new ride' and I'm like 'for sure', like I mean, it was nice, it was really nice. She'd just bought it that day, all her own, and I talked to the girls on... she had a fun time on Friday night, both of the girls, and then both of the girls texted me on Saturday.

Reporter - So, you were talking to her Saturday, Saturday afternoon?

Mom - Yes, Saturday afternoon. They sent me pictures of themselves and Kaylee called me around 2:30ish on Saturday afternoon and then I started.. I was texting Kaylee, just randomly, on Sunday and right about those.. when I look back at my times I was texting Kaylee, the police were swarming.

Reporter - So, you were trying to get a hold of her on Sunday morning?.

Mom - Yeah, just random, just randomly talking, just 'Hey, what's going on'?. 'How'd you guys do last night'. We talked a lot and she was supposed to be home on Tuesday. She said she'd be home on Tuesday.

Reporter - We were talking a little bit earlier. Whoever did this is still out there.

Mom - Yes.

Reporter - Do you have a message for them?.

Mom - Turn yourself in. Stop, stop all this. Let us mourn our children and we can't when we know this person is out there. You know who did it. You know who you are. Just end it. The guilt is gotta be just overwhelming. It's gotta be sickening. Stop hiding. Stop running. Just turn yourself in. Just turn yourself in so we can move on, we can bury our girls. We could have a celebration of life for them and continue to mourn and try the best to heal. Start the healing process, but we can't with this person just running around out there. This person's dangerous and we fear that this person will do this again.

Aunt - Now that he's done it once, he can definitely do it again.

Mom - We have no idea why, none. There's no reason why anyone should have been targeted, for any reason.

Aunt - These were young, beautiful children. They were starting their lives and they were successful and they were go getters and they were strong. There's absolutely no reason for jealousy or anything, for someone to take four children's lives like this. Turn yourself in. You owe it to these mothers of these children, these fathers, these families. You're wrong. Turn yourself in.

Reporter - You said something that I've never even thought of, which is, it's almost a worst nightmare, which is, how do you bury your daughter knowing that they could possibly come...

Mom - Yeah, it's going to be... the services for these girls will be huge, public, and to think that this person is sitting there at the church, just.. I can't.

Reporter - You're worried that the killer might show up to their service?.

Mom - Absolutely. Their candlelight vigils, all of that. Makes me sick that this person could be there, standing right behind us, waving a little candle. It's sickening, absolutely sickening. We're sick, we're just sick. We just want it to end.

Aunt - It's a living nightmare.

Reporter - In terms of what police have been able to communicate to you. Have they been more forthcoming?. Are they communicating with you enough?.

Sister - I think it's an ongoing investigation. I think at the end of the day, I'm not an investigator. Do I want more information?, absolutely, but, Do I know that they have it?, or, Do I know that they can give it to me?, No. So, of course I'm frustrated, but I can't necessarily point that finger direct.

Reporter - Based on what you've seen so far, are you confident in their investigation?.

Sister - I have to be. Right now, I have to be.

Aunt - We're counting on it.

Sister - And I think that it's easy to sit back and say 'oh, I would have done this, oh, I would have done that', but I don't know what they walked into. I don't know what they've done. Are there definitely some things that I've heard that I wish I hadn't heard about the investigation so far?, absolutely, but right now I can't.. I am frustrated that I don't have more information, but I don't know if they have information that they can give me.

Mom - We don't know. We don't know. My husband is in contact with them everyday, the FBI, Moscow, Idaho State Police, and everyday he just says 'nothing, babe', and I'm like 'nothing?', and he's like 'nothing'. I don't know if that's because they have nothing or because they're protecting the investigation. So, you know, it's hard to be mad at them if we know they're just protecting the investigation, but it would be nice if they said 'we have something, we have a little lead, or we have an idea'. It just gives you a little bit of hope, you know.

Sister - It is very hopeless right now, I guess, being left without that information.

Reporter - Yeah, because you can't grieve, you can't feel safe.

Mom - If Kaylee and Maddie were down there right now in this situation with somebody else, they would be home. I would have told them and I would have been 'you girls need to get home, NOW, like yesterday, now'. So, to families.. I think it's Thanksgiving weekend coming up and most kids are coming home, but there is no way, and there's no way that I would send them back until this person is found. This person... it's an isolated, targeted, you know, incident until it's not. Until this person.. this person was angry. This was not just 'oh, he got drunk at a party and shot up at a party, which I'm not putting anything down to.. you know, people have lost loved ones that way, but this was a very...

Aunt - Very violent targeted attack.

Reporter - And hearing yesterday - hearing the coroner say that one person may have been killed in their sleep. Is that something that you had heard?.

Sister - Yeah and that's hard, you know, but I guess, for us, that kind of just indicates premeditation, which we've been fighting since the beginning, away from this term. You know 'crime of passion'. I think that comes with a certain connotation that can lead to empathy, and we don't agree with that.

Reporter - So, when you hear them say that someone was killed in their sleep, you think premeditation?.

Sister - Absolutely. I think it's impossible not to.

Mom - And not one, four. I mean I don't know if all four of them were... we don't really have the details, but regardless, four people were stabbed to death.

Reporter - And, premeditation.. I mean, like you said, it's very different..

Sister - I'm not saying, you know, weeks lead up. I'm not saying months, lead up. You know, it literally could have been 20 minutes. I don't know, but to...

Mom - Somebody went in there with an intent to kill.

Sister - You know, this wasn't a fight that the girls had said something and offhand this occurred. They must have, you know, walked in on vulnerable sleeping kids.

Aunt - A coward.

Sister - And, for what it's worth I want to run as far from the term of 'crime of passion' as possible, because I think it's weak and I think it allows him to hide and I think it gets him an out that he doesn't deserve.

Mom - He walked in and got mad and angry. They were all there together and something occurred and he got mad and wielded his weapon or whatever. No, this person snuck, somehow, into the house, whether is was an unlocked door or an unlocked window, but he was not invited and he came in with a weapon.

Aunt - To do intentional harm.

Mom - With an intention to kill. Not just one, not two, not three, but four. One after another, after another, after another.

Reporter - And, again that little detail about the... it shows like there's vulnerability, right?. There is the idea that there may have been defensive wounds, but at least one person didn't see it coming?.

Sister - Right.

Aunt - As far as we know.

Sister - As far as we know. According to what the coroner said.

Reporter - In terms of somebody getting into the house - they keep saying no sign of forced entry. Do you think that this was somebody that was known to them?.

Sister - I think that that's kind of an impossible question. It was a very popular house.

Mom - As a mother, I feel like they know em. I do, I've always felt that way. Nobody's told me that anyway, I just.. I mean, this is a college town, it's a small town. I feel that, I feel the girls knew this person.

Aunt - But, we don't know that.

Mom - Well, we don't. We absolutely don't know that. I just feel it in my heart that they knew the person and I've always felt that way. I don't know why, but I've always said 'they knew em, they knew em'. I just don't feel like this was some rando just driving through Moscow, happened to stop by their house.

Sister - I will say, they did have a keypad on their front door and it was a very popular house. So, I know for a fact that people who weren't necessarily roommates of the house did have that code. So, no sign of forced entry doesn't necessarily mean that they were invited in. That's all it means.

Reporter - And the people that survived were on the first floor?.

Sister - To our knowledge.

Reporter - And then, if they come in through the keypad - Is it possible to bypass a room on the first floor and go up to the second floor and third floor?.

Sister - Yes there is, correct. There's also a door in the back that just leads directly to the middle.

Reporter - I don't want to put you guys through anymore. I think we're good.

Another reporter - We know it's been tough to get answers from police for everybody. Just what have police told you guys about the investigation.. what's going on?.

Sister - Yeah, I think to answer that question. We know exactly what the public knows. We really don't have any further details and, unfortunately, if we did, I wouldn't give them to you guys.

Mom - But, honest to god, we don't.. we don't.

Aunt - The public needs to know that there's someone out there that's finally killed four people, and that no matter who died first or second or last, they're gone, and we need to get this person, now, before it's too late for anybody else to suffer for what we are suffering for, for the rest of our lives. He took their lives, but he took them from us. That will never change. We will never let Kaylee and Maddie's memory, ever, disappear, but that's all we have left and that's not enough. Period, done, there's your answer.

Sister - There is no other information.

Mom - And, unfortunately, you guys will probably hear it first anyways.

Aunt - Right?. That's pretty true.

Mom - Things leak out there all the time and we're like 'did you see this?, did you see this?, did you see this?', and like 'nope'. I call my husband, he's like 'I haven't heard that'.

Sister - The reporters and stuff that have reached out to me ahead of breaking news stories, you know, even if it's only 20 mins. heads up, it's nice to be able to process that information as a family first before reading it online. To everyone who has done that, I just wanted to say, thank you. I know that if it bleeds, it leads. I get this industry, I'm not stupid, but thank you to those who have done so, respectfully and with empathy in their hearts.

Reporter - Thank you guys.

TRANSCRIPT
CAPTAIN DISCUSSES VIDEO SURVEILLANCE

15TH. DECEMBER.

Question - Take us back when Investigators first started asking for video. What sources were you asking to get video from?.

Captain - Well, we started looking for video the day of the crime. Officers on scene, before I even arrived, had identified certain residences in the area that had video cameras. We know, just from past experience, that security cameras, doorbell cameras and the like are very, very commonplace now. And, that's a part of our standard procedure is to start looking for a possible video source in and around the crime scene. So, we started the day of the crime and then that expanded as we got more investigators to the area for assistance and we started putting together teams and one of our teams sole job was to go through the King Rd. area, associated neighbourhoods and eventually the main thoroughfares in the City of Moscow, trying to identify videos, video cameras etc., and then contact those business owners, contact those residents and ask for copies of that video.

Question - Initially, there was a particular area outlined as where the priority was for asking for video. Why was that area selected?.

Captain - Well, that area was selected because, essentially, it surrounds the King Rd. area and we know that people typically have to travel to and from. We weren't trying to pigeon hole our investigation into - the suspect lives in the area. We wanted to make sure that we covered all the bases and so, as we began to gather more information, we began to expand our search area. You may recall from the second press conference that we specifically put out a plea to the public for any video in the King Rd. area and then we gave a defined area, and we put that area on our website as well, asking residents, 'hey, if you have video or if your neighbour has video, let us know so we can get a copy of that'. We understand that video has a finite life and sometimes systems will start recording over themselves. So, we started that process very, very early in the investigation.

Question - Why ask the public for additional help with this white car?.

Captain - Well, through our tips, through our leads, some of the evidence that came in, we started to identify patterns and, like we said earlier, we are confident that the occupant or occupants of that vehicle have information that's critical to this investigation. We also understand that even though there is sometimes a fascination with a particular case, some people simply don't see the news and may not know that we're looking for it. So, if we get the word out there, 'hey, maybe your neighbour has one in the garage they don't drive very often. Maybe there's one that's just not on the registration database'. Let us know. So far, we have a list of approximately 22,000 registered White Hyundai Elantra's that fit into our criteria that we're sorting through. That's an awful lot of information, but it may not be all of them. So, the public can help us with that.

The owner of a property near the home where four University of Idaho students were slaughtered last month told Fox News Digital he turned over surveillance video showing a white car zoom by around the time of the murders.

Moscow, Idaho, detectives reached out to landlord KF Nov. 14 and asked for surveillance footage recorded from a camera perched on top of his six-unit rental building on Linda Lane, which is .3 miles from the murder scene.

"I downloaded it and gave them access to everything from 2 a.m. through noon on that Sunday the 13th,"

The car, which F described as both "white" and "light colored" traveled west on Taylor Road sometime between 2:45 a.m. and 3:15 a.m., he said. Only a side view of the car is visible in the footage.

It's unclear if the white car in the footage is the same Hyundai Elantra investigators are trying to track down.

12/16/22

nvestigators have travelled to Troy, about twelve miles east of Moscow, where surveillance footage revealed a four-door white sedan drive by at about 3:45am on the morning of the murders.

Meanwhile the manager of the Food City store in Kendrick, about 24 miles east, told Fox News cops also asked for video surveillance from their property.

Idaho State Police requested video ranging from November 12 to November 14, as they combed through footage from dozens of businesses, including liquor stores, coffee shops, gyms and gas stations, within the town of Moscow and beyond.

1671208770570.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members