ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022 ****Media Thread**** NO DISCUSSION

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
12/1/22

(NewsNation) — NewsNation correspondent Brian Entin answers more viewer questions surrounding the Idaho college murders.

Q: Will police find their best leads in forensic trace evidence from defensive contact made by the victims?

That’s definitely a possibility, but it’s something they’re testing behind the scenes right now. The most we know are some details that came from the coroner a couple of weeks ago, when she said that some of the victims did have defensive wounds on them.

Q: What is the actual timeline for Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle?

There’s a gap in the timeline regarding where Ethan and Xana were the night before they were murdered. We do know that they were at a fraternity party about a five minute walk away from the house.

We know that they were spotted at that party the night before the murders, but we don’t know if they stayed the night there. Last time I interviewed police, they said they’re hoping the public will come forward if they have any information.

snapshot-61.jpg

Q: Does the Sigma Chi house have cameras to see who’s coming and going?

It’s unclear if there are cameras at the fraternity house. This is a small town. Not a lot of places have security cameras.

Q: Do any of the trees look like they’re climbable? Is it possible that someone could climb into one of the upstairs windows?

It’s possible. What’s interesting is there is a balcony on the back of the house. If you add a little ladder, it might have been possible to get up on that balcony. It’s possible the slider was unlocked up on that balcony. That’s a way the killer could have gotten inside.

Idaho police clarify comments about target of murders
There has also been speculation that the killer was an “incel,” an involuntarily celibate male who felt rejected. Forensic psychologist Dr. Scott Musgrove says there needs to be more evidence to make that claim. However, he says the female victims meet a “visual presentation of what angers many incels.”

12/1/22

The Moscow police chief on Thursday explained why police have held back information from the public regarding the investigation into the Nov. 13 murders of four University of Idaho students.

James Fry also expressed confidence that the team of investigators will solve the case, even though no suspect has been identified yet.

Nearly three weeks after Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were killed in their King Road residence, little information has been shared to answer questions like how the suspect got into the residence, who specifically was targeted and why other roommates were spared.

Fry said when that information is made public, the suspect may learn that information, too, which may jeopardize the case. It also might jeopardize the integrity of a trial if an arrest is made.

“We're always going to hold stuff back as much as we possibly can because when you’re talking about the integrity of the case, you’re talking about when this goes to trial, have you tainted jurors?” he said during an interview with the Daily News. “There’s a way bigger picture here than just people knowing. Because for it to be a fair trial, you have to have people who don’t know facts and have already made up their own opinions on them.”

Fry said his department still believes these killings were the result of a targeted attack, though he did not divulge why detectives believe that.

Interview with Kaylee's dad.

1st December.

Reporter - S, first of all, our condolences to you and your family. We're so, so sorry for your loss, Sir. We have kids similar ages and I can't imagine what you're going through. So, I thank you for being here and as I mentioned to you earlier, our goal in talking to you is to keep this story out there, to show the tip line, which we're going to put up on the screen in just a moment. But, I want to get your reaction to this confusion of if it was targeted, not targeted, maybe the people in the house, maybe it was the residence. What can you tell us about that?.

Dad - I don't like it one bit. I know these statements take, like, hours and multiple individuals to review, it's not like this was something said on the side of the street within the first five hours of the case, and these guys are professionals. They sat in a room and this is what they came out with and they keep coming out with statements that create more questions than they answer, and then that creates a pressure and that's why I'm feeling like there's so many people coming and looking for answers and I'm one of them.

Reporter
- One of the things that you said last night (at the vigil) about the two of them having fallen asleep in the same bed, that was new information. Is that the case that they were actually in the same bed?.

Dad - To me, it wasn't new. The coroner had shared a bunch of information about... there was some photos.. if you knew the house design, you would have seen that there was a picture of Kaylee's bed and it was made, there was nothing in there. So, it was kind of a process of elimination, if you've been in the home, if you knew the inside information, like, I knew that was my daughters room, so to me it had been out, but I'm sure they're not happy with me saying that. I didn't mean to say something that was supposed to be under wraps.

Reporter - Yes, of course.

Dad - I've told them you gotta work with me. You've got to tell me what to say and what not to say and I'll listen, but sometimes they're scared to give me those advices and I understand.

Reporter - Let me ask you of something that you said when you spoke with Laurence Jones. Do you believe that people on this campus know something, that the rest of us don't know?. Do you think that there was a stalker involved in this case?.

Dad - I don't think it matters what I particularly feel. I just want them to follow the evidence. I think even people who think they don't have information - I know people have been scared to share stuff because of there maybe alcohol or drugs or something in the background. I've tried to work with them to let everybody know that that's not what they're working on. But, I've definitely heard from people that they're scared to submit stuff. It could be a party, it could be anything around that neighbourhood within that time that could help us. And I think that community is going to solve this case, just as much as those officers in that room.

Reporter - You said something about, you know, someone's car could be in a selfie or a video of a person who said that they had an alibi, but the car isn't where it was supposed to be. Tell me about that, what you're thinking when you say that, Sir?.

Dad - I have an IT background, I know Tesla's and some other vehicles have cameras that you don't even have to turn on and are still recording, and there's some chips in there that you can pull data off. I know that's the way the wifi's work. So, this individual could have came into these homes and partied and done things and that data can be captured. I want this guy to be scared, I don't want him to be confident. I want him to be sick of seeing my face and I'm not going nowhere until this guy's off the streets. And the worst thing I want, is another family to go through this.

Reporter - Kaylee's mom said something about being fearful, that he is around, that he's watching all of this, that he could even show up at a funeral service for your daughter or one of these children.

Dad - It's pretty much a fact. Who does something like this and doesn't tune into the media?. Who wouldn't?. It's in his 100% selfish interests. So yes, he is, and we wouldn't want to do some kind of celebration and exclude anyone. So yeah, he could easily be there and that's a sick kind of twisted person that would do this kind of crap.

Reporter - You know, when you talked about getting into the phone, you said we have family passwords and you know we were able to get in there. Is there anything that you can share with us about what you learned there or people she was communicating with?. We know there was a back and forth between she and her on and off boyfriend through the course of the night.

Dad - There was some information, we were able to get that to the police officers. I think it definitely helped them. I know behaviour footprint, afterwards, it did definitely get some more things in the works, but I'm a historical fact person, I can help them know my daughters and Maddie from past, but going forward I'm going to be less and less relevant.

Reporter - Do you believe that your daughter was the target?. Or do you have any reason to think that she was, over someone else or that someone else was?.

Dad - I do have some inkling that there was some behaviour difference. I call them a footprint. When you commit a crime you do different behaviours. I've asked permission to give any of that out and they told me, no, it would not be beneficial. So, I've held back on that and I tried to keep my word.

Reporter - I'm sorry, behaviour of her or someone she knew?.

Dad - Behaviour of the victims.

Reporter - Alright S, I appreciate you sharing this with us and, as I said, the tip line is up right now, it's 208-883-7180. And, as you have said, none of these young people should fear that if they were drinking that night or involved in what most of us would consider pretty typical college behaviour, that that's going to be a problem for them. They need to come forward with their videos, whatever is on their phone, whatever they might have picked up on, in order to continue to work to get a break in this case, which is what we all want. We all want some justice. We want to find out who did this and that you can all find some sort of eventual peace in this. And S, we're praying for all of you. Thank you very much for being here today, Sir.

Dad - Thank you.

Moscow Police Dept

UPDATE

(December 1, 2022)

• Detectives are aware of a sixth person listed on the lease at the residence but do not believe that individual was present during the incident.
  • Idaho State Police Forensic Services crime lab scientists have worked on this case for weeks and have provided testing and analysis results to detectives. As they complete additional tests, those results will also be provided. To protect the investigation’s integrity, specific results will not be released.
  • We remain consistent in our belief that this was a targeted attack, but investigators have not concluded if the target was the residence or if it was the occupants.

We continue receiving inquiries about comments made by Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson, who said the suspect(s) specifically looked at the victim’s residence and that one or more of the occupants were undoubtedly targeted.

The Moscow Police Department is the only provider of official information regarding this case.

Prosecutor Bill Tompson released the following email to KTVB and NewsNation regarding his interview. "Thank you for the opportunity to speak with you today. We want to let you know that there was a miscommunication between detectives and my office. To clarify, investigators do not believe the murders were random, but we cannot unequivocally state the residence, or any occupants, were specifically targeted. I apologize for any confusion."

12/3/22

(NewsNation) — For the first time, Cara Northington, the mother of Idaho victim Xana Kernodle, is speaking out about the case.

She told NewsNation’s Ashleigh Banfield on Friday night that police haven’t been helpful and that she needs more answers. In an emotional interview, Northington said “there is so much more that can be done that has not been done.”

Northington says she believes the kids in the house were targeted, as opposed to the house itself. She also revealed that Xana may have had a lock on her bedroom door. Apparently, one weekend before the murder, Xana’s dad, Jeffrey Kernodle, was at the house to replace or fix locks. It’s unclear which locks he worked on.

“I believe wholeheartedly that it was those kids who were targeted. … They did everything together. How could it not be a planned thing?” Northington said.

There’s currently a gap in the timeline regarding where Ethan and Xana were the night before they were murdered. NewsNation has learned that they were at a fraternity party about a five minute walk away from the house.

Northington told “Banfield” she thinks Xana and Ethan may have gone to a bar afterwards.

Northington also confirmed that Xana’s room was on the second floor of the house.

[..]

NewsNation has been covering this story from the beginning, and will continue its investigation in a special hour on Sunday. National correspondent Brian Entin will host “Special Report: Idaho Murder Mystery” on Dec. 4 at 9 p.m. ET on NewsNation. Here’s how you can watch.

12/3/22

(NewsNation) — Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were best friends since the sixth grade.

They did homework together, shared everything and went to the same high school, then the same college, Kaylee’s father, Steve Goncalves said at a candlelight vigil for the two University of Idaho students.

The women, along with Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin, were found stabbed to death in a rental home near campus on Nov. 13. Goncalves, Mogen and Kernodle had been roommates. Chapin and Kernodle were dating.

Preliminary findings by a county coroner show the four died from stab wounds and were likely asleep at the time of the attack.

At the vigil, Goncalves said that his daughter and Mogen were in the same bed when they died. Now, Kaylee’s ashes are right next to Mogen’s at the Goncalves’ house, NewsNation’s Brian Entin reports.

“These were best friends forever,” Entin said on “Banfield.”

INTERVIEW WITH XANA'S MOM

2nd December.

Banfield - Can I just ask you off the bat, how you are getting by in this terribly sorrowful time?.

Mom - Not very easily, not good. I mean, I don't know what to say to that.

Banfield - I can't even imagine the pain that you and your family are going through. Have the police been helpful to you, C. to understand some of the things they can and can't say?.

Mom - You know, honestly, no. Honestly no. They haven't said anything. I learn more on the news and on TV than they have said to me.

Banfield - Have you had a chance to talk with some of the other parents of the other three kids who were there that night and share information amongst yourselves?.

Mom - Not really, honestly. I've just been dealing with my family and we've just been absorbing this shock.

Banfield - Can you tell me C. what you do know about this terrible night?.

Mom - What I do know is not nearly enough. We need more answers. There is so much more that can be done, that has not been done and I just know that there's GPS, NASA (?) can find out who went into that home that night. I know that. Why hasn't that been looked into?. Why hasn't that been accessed?.

Banfield - Can I ask you, there is a mysterious sort of 4 hour and 45 minute block of time that's unaccounted for by the police timeline. The police say that your daughter Xana and her boyfriend Ethan were at the Sigma Chi house from 8 until 9:00 pm., but then they don't have any information on where they were from 9:00 pm. till 1:45 am. Do you know anything about that from either your information from the police or Ethan's family or anybody.

Mom - I may be candid in saying this, but I think they were at a bar.

Banfield - And where do you get that information from?. Did someone tell you that they'd gone from the Sigma Chi house to a bar before they ended up home?.

Mom - That's what her father conveyed to me that he (inaudible) at the bar that night, so yeah. I mean, that's what college kids do on a weekend, so.

Banfield - But you don't know for sure that they left the Sigma Chi house, went to a bar..

Mom - I don't know, sorry.

Banfield - And have the police asked you any questions about where Xana might have been?, Or if she texted you?, Or if she'd communicated with any family members in that period of time?.

Mom - No, no answers whatsoever, whatsoever, really. I asked them, I asked the investigators when they came and spoke to me. They were not able to offer me any answers. None.

Banfield - Can I ask you - Xana's sister J. has put such a beautiful tribute to Xana on her instagram and I wonder if she has any additional information, just perhaps from being able to access her sister's social media or her phone?. Has J. been able to ascertain any other details of what happened that night or where Xana and Ethan were that night?.

Mom - No, I'm not going to speak for J. You would have to ask her that yourself and she's going through it right now without her sister and I'm sure if she had any answers or any information, she's already conveyed that to the investigators?.

Banfield - May I ask you if you can confirm that Xana's room was on the second floor of the house?.

Mom - Yes, I can confirm that. I just had a question about the other two roommates who were there on the first floor and I just wonder, wasn't something heard, the surviving roommates that were there, they had to have heard something. They had to have.. the dog, something.

Banfield - I can help you with that, somewhat. There is information from a prior tenant who lived on the first floor, who said when he lived there in 2019 he moved out. He said he could never hear anything on the second or third floor. If the television was playing very loudly on the second floor, he might hear it from the first floor. And I don't know if that helps you to understand.

Mom - The dog heard it and the dog had to have been barking, you know.

Banfield - I have information there as well. Our Brian Entin spoke with the parents of Kaylee Gonsalves and they have actually referred to that and Brian's going to play that interview in a moment. But, B and D., on that first floor, may not have been able to hear anything, according to the prior tenant who said it was extremely difficult to hear because of the construction of that house, but I do want to ask you if I can C., was your daughter Xana's room on the right side of the house if you're looking from the parking lot or on the left side across from the kitchen?.

Mom - I can't answer that. I can't answer that because I never went there yet, so I don't know.

Banfield - But you know she was on the second floor. Do you know if she looked out at the front of the house or the back of the house?.

Mom - I believe in the front, but I can't confirm. Like I said, I haven't been down to visit yet. I tried to go last month but she was in class while I was down there.

Banfield - Our viewers are looking at the front of the house right now and the window that I'm referring to is on the second storey in the front of the house, and that's where we are triangulating that. Perhaps that's where Xana and Ethan were that night.

View attachment 384765

I do want to ask you if you know whether or not Xana had a lock on her bedroom door?.

Mom - I believe she did, yes.

Banfield - Do you know if it was a lock that was a code that you would punch in on the bedroom door?. The prior tenant who used to live there said that every one of the doors in that home, all six bedrooms, were rented separately like apartments and they all had coded locks. But lots of social media pictures have shown at least one of the locks on the door across from the kitchen on the second floor, it didn't appear to have a coded lock, but do you think that Xana's room had a coded lock?.

Mom - I believe it did. Her father mentioned to me that he had just went and replaced the lock the weekend before.

Banfield - You said her father mentioned to you that they had replaced the lock?.

Mom - Yes. that he had.. or he had fixed it or something, but yeah he said he had fixed it the week before just to make sure it was still..

Banfield - So, that's the lock on her own bedroom door, not the lock to the outside of the house?. That's her own bedrom door lock?.

Mom - (inaudible) referring to, I'm not sure (inaudible) I just remember him telling me that when he was (inaudible).

Banfield - But you're talking about J., right?. J. K. Xana's dad?.

Mom - Yes, absolutely yes.

Banfield - And he had been there just a couple weeks before working on a lock, but you're not sure what door?.

Mom - Just the weekend before and he mentioned meeting Ethan's parents and went to check on Xana and it was dad week for WSU for J., so he was over there and they're pretty close schools (inaudible) fairly short distance away from each other.

Banfield - Did Xana's car have Arizona plates?.

Mom - I can't answer that. I don't know.

Banfield - She used to live in Arizona though right?.

Mom - I believe she got the car in Arizona so that's probably likely, yes.

Banfield - Do you know what kind of car she was driving?.

Mom - I don't, I don't.

Banfield - You mentioned about the roommates, the surviving roommates - Have you had any opportunity to contact them?. Do you or J. or Xana's sister J., do you have their contact information?. Are you able to call them to talk to them?.

Mom - J. and J. are in contact with them, yes. They were all at the memorial today, yeah.

Banfield - And what did those girls, B. and D. say to Xana's dad and her sister about that morning when they woke up and came upstairs?. What did they tell J. and J?.

Mom - I don't know, you would have to ask them that. I'm not going to speak for anybody else, I'm sorry.

Banfield - Do you know C. if D. and B. came upstairs and were trying to wake Xana?, because they were trying to wake one of their roommates. Do you know if it was your daughter they were trying to wake?.

Mom - I don't have that answer either, I'm sorry.

Banfield - It's okay and did they say that they could not get beyond a locked door and that's why they had no idea what was on the other side of the bedroom door and called in an unconscious person?.

Mom - I believe that's right.

Banfield - What do you know about that?.

Mom - That they called in an unconscious person, I know that, but beyond that, I don't know.

Banfield - So, it's hard for you to understand as well why, if there was such a terrible crime that had been committed that the roommates might not have seen the evidence of that crime.

Mom - Absolutely, yes.

Banfield - Have they told you at all C., when you can retrieve your daughters things from that house?.

Mom - Not yet, no.

Banfield - I want to ask you if you can for us C. about Xana?. What would you like people to know about your daughter?. We've seen pictures and we've seen social media but you know her heart. What would you like everyone to know about her?.

Mom - If you knew Xana you knew what a light she was to everybody she came across. She was just such a positive influence on everybody around her. I honestly and I'm not saying this because I'm her mother and baised, it's just the truth. There is nothing negative you could say about her. She was just such a good soul and she cared, she deeply cared about her friends and her family. And, she would never hurt anybody, I don't understand, who would want to do anything to any of these kids. They were all great, great kids and they were all good, good friends, lifelong friends even, aside from Ethan, and Ethan was such a great kid too. I just... no parent should ever go through this, it's... they were good kids. I don't understand who would want to do this.

Banfield - Have you had a chance to speak with Ethan's parents?.

Mom - No, not yet.

Banfield - Are you going to have a chance to speak with them?.

Mom - I'm sure I will, yes.

Banfield - I do have another question and that is, what we're all trying to figure out what the police mean when they say they believe this was a targeted attack. They've gone back and forth about whether it was the kids inside the house or the house, and now they've really rested on the statement that they believe it's a targeted attack. They don't know if it's the kids or the home itself that was targeted, but do you have any thoughts, at all, about why that house might be targeted or why any of the five roommates might be targeted?.

Mom - I do not think it was the house that was targeted. I believe, wholeheartedly, that it was those kids who were targeted. They weren't just acquaintances, these kids were like best friends. They were pratically family. They were just tight knit. They were good friends. They were like family, they were around each other constantly. They did everything together. How could it not have been a planned thing, you know, how could it not have been targeted?.

Banfield - C. do you know anything about Kaylee moving out?. Do you know if she had already moved out of the house when this happened?. Or was she in the process of moving out, because she was graduating in the new year?.

Mom - Again, that's not a question for me. You may ask her family that. I'm not going to speak for her, I'm sorry.

Banfield - I think the reason I ask is because I'm just wondering if her room was vacant, if the furniture was gone?.

Mom - Yeah, I don't know, I'm sorry.

Banfield - Did Xana ever say anything about problems at the campus?. Maybe talk of a stalker?. There's been talk that maybe Kaylee had a stalker. Her dad said that Kaylee had told him that she had a stalker or a problem with a stalker. The police haven't been able to run anything down, but did Xana ever say anything?.

Mom - Kaylee was an absolute beautiful, beautiful girl. It wouldn't surprise me if all of these beautiful kids, that we lost, had stalkers, okay?. They were all like rock stars on Instagram and all their social media. They were vibrate, outgoing kids. You can hardly be on social media anymore without gaining some kind of weird stalker. So, that wouldn't surprise me. I don't think that that's what it was though, I will be honest with you. I think it's closer than that. I think it's deeper than that. I think they have information that they're not giving us and it's real fishy, that's what I will say.

Banfield - When you say you think it goes deeper than that - What do you mean?.

Mom - I mean, I think it was somebody closer than a stalker and I don't know who. I'm not going to specify anything like that. I'm just going to say I think that it's somebody... and I think, possibly, they may have trusted.. that's the only thing I can think of, because how could such a thing like this happen?. So quickly, so quietly, without any answer. Unless it was somebody super close to them. You know what I mean?.

Banfield - Do you think the person who did this had been in that house before?.

Mom - I think they knew them. I think they may have been friends with them. I think it had to have been somebody close to them to have been able to get away with it like this, just without.. you know, it just doesn't make sense. None of this makes any sense. It had to have been somebody they trusted that was.. you know what I mean?. I mean, somebody that knew them well, somebody (inaudible). To kill 4 people so quickly without a trace?.

Banfield - C. I cannot tell you just how sorry I am for what you're going through and the parents of the other kids. I said it before, I'll say it again, it's unimaginable. Just know that there are hundreds of thousands of people across this country tonight who are feeling for you as well. You know in spirit you are not alone. There are a lot of people who care deeply for you and your family, and they want justice for your daughter.

Mom - I know, I know and I thank everyone so much for that. Xana's death will not be in vane. We are going to find who did this. I will not take my final breathe until this person is found and brought to justice for these kids. Not just my daughter but these kids and their families and their friends. We all deserve answers and the person should be brought to justice.

Banfield - I wish you and your family peace of mind and I hope that we can bring you answers soon. C. thank you for being with us tonight. Thank you for telling us your story tonight and we'll continue to highlighted Xana's story as well and her beautiful life. As you mentioned, it's very evident on Instagram and social media just how vibrant she was and how beautiful she was and she made her mark on this world while she was here. Thank you so much C. for being with us tonight.

Mom - Can I say one last thing?.

Banfield - Yes.

Mom - If there's someone out there - there is someone out there, I know there is that has answers. Please, please, we all beg you, please, don't be afraid, please just tell somebody. We deserve that much, please.

Banfield - I think you're absolutely right, someone out there knows something and anybody with any small detail even to come forward and tell the police what you know, it could be the smallest piece of the puzzle.

Mom - (inaudible) I promise you it's something, because right now we have nothing.

Banfield - C. thank you for being with us. Maybe we can talk again as we all plod through this investigation and the developments. I'll repeat it, I do which you peace and serenity in this very difficult time.

Mom - Thank you, I appreciate that.

INTERVIEW WITH XANA'S DAD

18th November.

Reporter - Xana Kernodle was raised in Idaho but she spent time here, in the valley, since her dad moved to Avondale a few years ago. He describes her as fun, smart and strong willed and says it's impossible to imagine she was killed in the worst homicide police say they've ever seen in this small Idaho city.

Dad - She didn't seem to really worry about the drama stuff that much, she wasn't into that. She just liked having fun. Wouldn't worry about materialistic things. She was with friends all the time.

Reporter - Avondale father J.K. who was too distraught to be on camera, remembering the life of his daughter Xana, one of the victims of the brutal stabbing at the University of Idaho leaving 4 college roommates dead on Sunday.

Dad - I heard from her before we went out. I think midnight was the last time we talked with her and she was fine.

Reporter - The murders happened early Sunday morning, rocking the small town of Moscow, Idaho, which hasn't had a murder since 2015, according to state records.

Dad - I have no idea, it doesn't make sense.

Reporter - He says Anna was in constant communication with her family and nothing about that night seemed unusual.

Dad - The door locks with a number code every time you open it. Like, I had to go back around the house to get in the house because of the number code. So, they either knew that, or they just kind of went around and found the slider open.

Reporter - A father struggling to understand how this could have happened. Why Xana?.

Dad - They were just hanging out at home. Xana was hanging out at home with her boyfriend.

Reporter - 2 other female roommates, Madison Mogen and Kaylee Gonsalves were killed along with Xana's boyfriend Ethan Chapin, who J. loved.

Dad - Her and Ethan were together about a year, give or take some. When I went up there, I saw her just a week before that, she'd changed a lot. She had a life. She got to see what it was to have a boyfriend to live with and have a real life and she really, like, turned around and was being really responsible. Helping him out (inaudible) studies and stuff. I was really impressed.

Reporter - J. says there's one thing that the autopsy shows for certain, Xana, a strong willed girl, fought her killer until the very end.

Dad - Bruises, you know, maybe occurred by the knife or whatever (I could have sworn this part was longer when they first aired this interview).
She was tough kid. Whatever she wanted to do, she could do it.

UPDATE​

(December 3, 2022)

• Throughout the investigation, detectives have collected the following:
    • Over 2,645 emails through tipline@ci.moscow.id.us
    • More than 2,770 calls to the Tip Line at 208-883-7180
    • Over 1,084 digital media submissions to the FBI link
    • 113 pieces of physical evidence
    • Approximately 4,000 crime scene photographs
    • Multiple three-dimensional scans of the residence
  • At this time, no suspect has been identified, and only vetted information that does not hinder the investigation will be released to the public. There is speculation, without factual backing, stoking community fears and spreading false information. We encourage referencing official releases for accurate information and updated progress.

INTERVIEW WITH KAYLEE'S MOM AND DAD

3rd December.

Reporter - Joining me now on set, the parents of Kaylee Gonsalves, C. and S. Thank you all so much for being with me. You guys have been so transparent and strong for the public. C., you called the person that did this, the bogeyman.

Mom - Yeah.

Reporter - What did you mean by that?.

Mom - It's literally like what nightmares are made of. Like when you're a little kid and you think of the bogeyman. That's just how I feel. Like, that's just.. the horrific details of everything. Them just having a good time, going home and going to bed and this happening to them.

Dad - Best friends crawling into bed.

Mom - Just crawling into bed and the bogeyman comes.

Dad - Every girl in America knows what that's like.

Mom - The bogeyman doesn't meet you at McDonald's. I mean, the bogeyman comes and snatches you out of your bedroom.

Reporter - S., we've been talking. I've been talking to folks in the community. You said something that stuck with me. You said, until this person is caught, you can't sleep in your bed.

Dad - No. I can't just lay in my bed and do nothing. That's not the way I raised my family. That's not the way I raised my girls and my son. You don't be a victim. You stand up for yourself and you do everything in your power to make sure people hear you. They're going to hear Kaylee. They're gonna hear Maddie. They're gonna hear these..

Mom - The other 2 as well.

Dad - I'm careful saying anything about them because I need to be careful because I can't speak on somebody else's child. But these two girls, I'm not trying to be a glory hound, but these two girls, I'm going to do what I can do. And we're not being victims. We're going to fight. We're going to figure out how to make sure that we hold everybody, you know, accountable and we keep eyes and attention on this and get this thing resolved.

Reporter - S., you have made it very clear to our audience that you are supportive of law enforcement. You support the investigation, but recently I've been watching and talking with you and you're getting frustrated. What does that frustration come from, Sir?.

Dad - They put certain people between you and the officers that are making things happen. And those people are like lawyers and they don't want to say anything and they don't have the guts to come up and be alpha and be like leaders and say, 'hey, we might say something that's wrong, we're going to take that hit'. So the officers, they looked me straight in their eyes, the lead detective look me in his eyes. I have no doubt he's working as hard as he can, but somebody isn't communicating. There's nothing being released. It seems like they're trying to suppress the story. We want to put rewards out. They're like, 'don't do that'. Yeah, I get it your town doesn't want to have reward posters posted all over when you come and you do, your rush (?). You're not gonna get a lot of students if they see those things, but this community is not gonna heal until this guy's pulled off the streets. It ain't gonna happen. Think it through. It's not gonna happen. He has to be off the streets. We all are working for the same thing.

Reporter - When was the last time you all heard from the police?.

Mom - Thursday.

Dad - Thursday, we looked at phone records. We want to be accurate. We don't want to sell anyone out.

Mom - About 3:00 o'clock on Thursday.

Reporter - And then did you all get an update from the police about the investigation?.

Mom - There was nothing. We have no updates for you.

Dad - There was no update. They needed us to sign a waiver form so that they could investigate something..

Mom - Some mail.

Dad - ..that was mail related. So, we're working with them, we're not selling them out. We love our law support.

Mom - And the FBI, everybody that's here. We just have no information, as family, and it gets tough day after day after day. I mean, everyday you just wake up and think today's the day we're going to hear something and you see these 'oh, there's a break in the case', and it'll just be something stupid.

Dad - A 6th person on the lease that was never there. Stop playing games. This is serious. These are peoples lives and this is the future of this community. There's going to be 10,000, 15,000 kids that come into this community next year, or they don't. So, be serious.

Reporter - I had the opportunity to speak to some of my sources and I've been told that there were differences in the way that the victims were killed. Some were more severe than the other and this week we heard the targeted attack walk back and then reverse it back to him being a targeted attack. What can you tell us about the targeted attack?.

Mom - They have told us that it was targeted but they told us they can't tell us who. We asked specifically and they said 'we'll try to get that information to you' and they got back to us a day or so later and they said 'we're sorry we can't give you that information', but then a day later we saw on the news that it was not targeted, or they think the whole house was targeted, but..

Dad - I'll cut to the chase. Their means of death don't match, they don't.

Reporter - Maddie's and Kaylee's cause of death, it does not match based on the autopsy report?.

Dad - They don't match.

Reporter - Would it indicate that one of them..

Dad - It doesn't have to go up the steps. Let's stop playing games, guys. I need somebody to step up and be an alpha. Be somebody to be a leader. Don't make me do it. I don't wanna do it. It doesn't have to go up those steps. Their points of damage don't match. I'm just going to say it. It wasn't leaked to me, I earned that. I paid for that funeral. I paid for that it's my right. You ain't taking that from me.

Mom - Calm down.

Dad - If you don't want to say nothing, that's your bit, but don't say I'm leaking anything. I paid that bill. Sent my daughter to college to get an education, she came back in a box and I can speak on that.

Reporter - I was also told from sources that are close to the investigation because there was a lot of roommates in there, and this was horrific for those roommates that were there as well.

Mom - Yeah, absolutely.

Reporter - The preservation of this crime scene. Witnesses tell me that it may have well been been preserved because the phone was passed around between one of the fraternity members and the girls. One of them, unfortunately witnessed the death.. the body there. Can you confirm that?.

Mom - We cannot actually. We know nothing about that whole phone call. We've asked and I mean I know that a lot people want to know but that's just not urgent, we're just like, somebody called 911. Somebody was reported unconscious. We don't really know. I mean we've heard so many different things and nothing has been clarified or been told to us at all. I don't know if I personally have asked anything about that. I don't know if you've asked anything about that, but we know that this is getting three weeks in and it's starting to get.. we don't want it to go cold. We're reaching out. I reach out to friends down in California today that have connections that we're hoping to raise some money to get a reward to get a private investigator.

Dad - Third party.

Mom - Third party.

Reporter - Why go the private route. Do you all worry that at the end of this week that this case may be cold?.

Dad - We're scared.

Mom - We're scared, we're scared.

Dad - You tell me you don't want a photo up there with the reward offering information - that kind of sounds like you're trying to like suppress the story. I mean, why do you not need help?. But hey, I could be wrong and you officers, I apologise if I'm wrong, please forgive me, please forgive me. But if you don't have the information - people do know, if they don't. Then you know.. this is a community that is IT based. These guys live a digital footprint like we've never.. all us older people, we don't know how much that digital footprint could be helpful. So, that's what we asked for. I hope like a DNA family lineage - if they could come out here and just start taking.. this town is not that big, we could figure out this. And it might not be him, it might be a family member. We have family all going to the school together, you know, there's cousins, there's aunts, there's uncles. We could find this guy just with volunteers.

Mom - Lineage companies where our..

Dad - Put Idaho on the map.

Reporter - C., S., we're going to stay on this case.

Dad - Thank you.

Mom - Thank you.

Reporter - We're not going anywhere. You guys have been candid with us. We'll keep asking questions. Any resource that we have available. Our audiences is praying for you guys. Thank you all. It was big for you guys to come back to Moscow tonight. I know it took a lot of courage to do it.

Mom - Yeah, it took a lot.

Reporter - I'm hoping we can get some answers for you. Thanks so much for joining me tonight.

INTERVIEW WITH KAYLEE'S MOM, DAD AND SISTER - PART 1

4 December.

Mom - I know she was hurt. Hurt so bad that she is not able to recover. That is just terrible.

Sister - I know, it's okay.

Mom - It's terrible. I cannot fathom in my head what kind of person did this.

Dad - Who's capable of this.

Mom - And why?. I can't sleep at night. I lay in bed pondering just millions of different scenarios and just.. I want to know, but there's stuff you obviously don't want to know, you know?, but I think I want to know it all and..

Sister - You're ok.

Mom - I just don't understand why. How somebody could take somebody.. the 4, 4 of them, it wasn't just my girl just so savagely.. (a definite cut in video at this point).

Entin - Is anyone acting differently since the murders?. I mean, is there anyone that you have a weird feeling about?. That the girls knew or that comes to mind?.
Sister - Yeah, I would say, not in the immediate circle by any means, but a few of the names that have been circulating around, I think it's hard not to kind of, you know, dig into this and I don't know how much of that is just because we have so little information from law enforcement and how much of it really is, you know, a sister or a father's intuition.

Entin - Can you elaborate at all?. You don't have to give a name, but I mean, is it someone that she knew or..?

Mom - I have something to say about that. I just feel like there's been a couple of individuals that were cleared very fast that maybe they shouldn't but, and, yeah..

Dad - Share the strong alibi, if you can just dismiss..

Mom - ..just really fast, just, you know, an hour later and we're like 'what?' and, I don't know. I don't know anything about those individuals. I just know they were people that definitely should have been looked at and yeah.

Dad - I don't know what would prevent you from sharing somebody's alibi.

Sister - Yeah, I think that's what we're struggling with. So it's like, you know, we know what we know. We've fought for J., Kaylee's boyfriend and, you know, we still stand that way. So, I did just kind of want to clear that up while we're talking through this ambiguity that, you know, that's not what we're honing in on here.

Mom - No, it's not.

Dad - We don't want to make more victims out of innocent people.

Sister - Exactly.

Dad - We definitely don't want to do that.

Entin - You've mentioned before that you didn't want to have a funeral right now because the killer's still out there. Is that something that you're still thinking about?. Are you nervous at all?. I mean, because in Moscow we talked to students. People are really nervous there.

Dad - They should be.

Sister - Yeah.

Dad - Targeted to me seems behaviour based. That's why I don't like it and it kind of pits the parents against each other, so, I don't like that. I just told some of the other parents today that 'if your daughter.. no ill will from me man'. To me, if you go have a couple of beers or go out and hang out with your friends and then come home and go to bed, if that's your target, then I think we all do that. I think we all come home and go to our beds.

Mom - That makes us all targets.

Dad - Yeah, so it..

Entin - So, it's kind of a bad word then?. I mean, it doesn't really make sense in some ways.

Dad - Exactly.

Entin - In the past you have told me that. You said 'I think it was kind of a weird word to choose'.

Dad - Yeah, I mean, it makes sense if there was some bad behaviour that they did. Let's say they came from a strip club or something and then somebody followed them home. That's a targeted thing. That's what comes.. I've had innocent people that were interviewed that were their neighbours and they said 'I'd be a lot more scared if it wasn't targeted, because I'm not doing anything to target me', and I'm like 'well, if targeting is just going to bed with your friend...'.

Entin - So, maybe that was just a way to calm people down?.

Dad
- I feel like it was strategic.

Sister - Yeah.

Dad - It was a strategic way to keep people from hitting the door, transfering out and turning that place into a ghost town.

Sister - You never think you're going to lose your little sister. Never. You never think you're going to have to bury you daughter.

Mom - Absolutely unbelievable. It's nothing, nothing compared to the way that I feel and I don't know if.. I mean, it's several things, it's her age, it's how it happened. Why it happened. Who did this to her?.

Dad - It's her life.. just graduating.

Mom - Who did this to her and her friends. The fact that she was with her best friend. I mean, since they were little girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper