ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn’t help but think about Doug Carter, and all the Abby Libby Press Conferences.

It’s like we’re going into this with a new course under our belts.
God, I sincerely hope not.
Awful, I am so sorry.
Well, it was a lifetime ago, but definitely contributed to my interest in true crime. But yes, it was super scary.

The thing is, even then, as scared as we were, I don’t think any of us actually thought we would be murdered.

Maybe the hubris of youth? I promise you I would be WAY more scared as my 55 year old self than I was as my 23 year old self.

Like I had posted earlier, no forced entry to me doesn't necessarily mean they were invited in or had the door opened for them. It happens sometimes that people forget to a lock a door or a window. Not pointing fingers at anyone - mistakes happen. Perhaps they weren't in bed yet and locking up was part of the bedtime routine. MOO
I always hate when it’s deduced that a victim must know their attacker when no signs of forced entry are found.

posted a pic of the house but yeah looks like 3 levels, split into a hillside. check it out on google maps. 1122 king road moscow id
It’s odd that the killer would have just skipped the two rooms in between … I wonder if the giggled the door and noticed they were locked and kept moving ? Seems odd though . Or maybe the skipped the downstairs and started walking straight upstairs . Ethan heard dog barking or sounds because they got home after party maybe was still awake and chose to go check who it was and was attacked and then the killer continued onto next floor . Probably didn’t think there were bedrooms on first floor because usually there are not

Couldn’t help but think about Doug Carter, and all the Abby Libby Press Conferences.

It’s like we’re going into this with a new course under our belts.
Awful, I am so sorry.
Well, it was a lifetime ago, but definitely contributed to my interest in true crime. But yes, it was super scary.

The thing is, even then, as scared as we were, I don’t think any of us actually thought we would be murdered.

Maybe the hubris of youth? I promise you I would be WAY more scared as my 55 year old self than I was as my 23 year old self.
I always hate when it’s deduced that a victim must know their attacker when no signs of forced entry are found.
Gosh- esp with college kids- friends come and go and doors aren’t always locked. Trusting and open. The way it sadly should be

posted a pic of the house but yeah looks like 3 levels, split into a hillside. check it out on google maps. 1122 king road moscow id
It’s odd that the killer would have just skipped the two rooms in between … I wonder if the giggled the door and noticed they were locked and kept moving ? Seems odd though . Or maybe the skipped the downstairs and started walking straight upstairs . Ethan heard dog barking or sounds because they got home after party maybe was still awake and chose to go check who it was and was attacked and then the killer continued onto next floor . Probably didn’t think there were bedrooms on first floor because usually there are not

I always hate when it’s deduced that a victim must know their attacker when there are no signs of forced entry.
I do too. This actually happened to my friends and I in an off campus apartment during college.
There were 5 of us and one of us forgot to lock the door after coming home from the bars. A few hours later, one of my friends in the apartment woke up to a stranger sitting on her bed running his hand up her leg. She screamed and he ran out of the apartment. None of us heard him come in, we were all asleep.
But although he was a stranger to us, there was no sign of forced entry because we didn’t lock the door.
I would like to add that we weren’t completely irresponsible college girls. We were mostly vigilant…just not this night.

Me too.

I was in school at UF during the Gainesville murders and it was thought that the killer (later known to be Danny Rolling) entered at least one of the apartments via a sliding glass door.

My apartment had one and my roommates and I were terrified. We were also about half a mile from the last murders.

I have never lived in a home with sliding glass doors since.
Awful, I am so sorry.

I know, everything becomes scarier when we age, right!

I always hate when it’s deduced that a victim must know their attacker when there are no signs of forced entry.
I do too. This actually happened to my friends and I in an off campus apartment during college.
There were 5 of us and one of us forgot to lock the door after coming home from the bars. A few hours later, one of my friends in the apartment woke up to a stranger sitting on her bed running his hand up her leg. She screamed and he ran out of the apartment. None of us heard him come in, we were all asleep.
But although he was a stranger to us, there was no sign of forced entry because we didn’t lock the door.
I would like to add that we weren’t completely irresponsible college girls. We were mostly vigilant…just not this night.

Wait, which is ground level? The lower or the middle?
The lower level is street level at the front door. In the back of the lower level, it is hillside, so essentially underground/basement The middle level (when looking from the street) looks like it's 2nd level, but is even with the hillside behind it and has a cement patio in the back. The top level (when looking from the street) is the third level and has a wood deck that sits above the cement patio.

In one of the follow up questions, a reporter asked if the roommates were both home and the police chief tipped his hand and did confirm yes. (When responding to the question before, he just answered that other "people" were there.)
This is what I was coming back to post but couldn’t remember if I’d definitely heard that correctly or not.

The problem is, they began the investigation by telling people that the crime was 'isolated' ie wasn't likely to happen again, based on evidence the victims had been 'targeted'.

In other words, they implied that they were confident they knew the 'motive' for the killing.

Now it turns out, they don't have a suspect.

How can you have a motive without a suspect?

Genuine question btw, not being rhetorical.
The only thing I can think of that might lead LE to that preliminary conclusion is if one victim was attacked in a particularly vicious way, basically "overkill."

This case reminds me a lot of the famous Springfield Three case. There are obvious differences (mom, daughter, and friend as victims vs. four college friends, bodies never found vs. bodies at crime scene, etc.). But I guess it’s just the whole friends possibly being followed home from a night out angle, the whole “who was the intended target?” question, the “how did nobody else hear anything?” question, and the question of how the killer gained access without signs of forced entry that make me compare the two.

As someone who did a fair share of partying and going out late in college, not to mention someone who lived in a house filled with roommates, I can easily see how 2 people in the house didn’t hear anything happening. Or, even more possibly, they heard some commotion coming from upstairs, but maybe it wasn’t the loud chaos we all imagine and the downstairs girls were used to hearing footsteps, doors slamming, random “thuds”, etc. So they could have heard some noises and if there weren’t any loud screams, they might have just thought it was their roommates coming home from a night of partying and being loud.

And I can think of five reasons why the downstairs roommates weren’t harmed: a) killer didn’t know they were there, b) killer couldn’t get into their rooms because they were locked, c) killer felt rushed, spooked, or short on time for some reason after killing the first four and hurried out, d) killer had no reason to kill them and only killed the other four for a specific reason. The fifth reason is fairly obvious but I will just leave it unstated as there’s a very good chance it’s not the reason anyway.

I do think, though, that the police have a pretty good idea who committed these murders, or at least have a general idea. The reason I say that is because of the contradicting “targeted attack vs. no threat/still a threat” statements made. Police and others in the know generally don’t just make statements about there being no threat to the public without some kind of idea of who did it. I think they have a very specific person or persons, or at least a specific scenario in mind and can say it was a targeted killing with LIKELY no threat to the community (due to the perceived motive). But because this person or persons is/are still at large or not under arrest yet, they might be dangerous enough to commit another killing if cornered or uncovered. Just MOO.

I'm still hung up on how the perpetrator gained entry into the home. There was a keypad at the front door but does this also mean there was a home security system that would have alarmed if someone tried to force entry through a window or door? It's been said here the girls were religious about always locking up at night. It seems most likely that the perp knew the key code, knew the layout if the residence, and gained access through the front door. This person knew who his target was and this victim would have sustained the worst injuries during a prolonged attack. The other possibility might be that there was a blitz-type of attack while one of the girls was outside with the dog. It's possible they have a solid suspect who quickly left town and the FBI was given the task of tracking him down. I'm probably totally wrong but we are going on practically no facts in this case which I actually prefer. I want to see this scum successfully tried in a court of law where the actual facts will be presented rather than jeopardizing the case by leaking evidence to the press.
Is it possible the keypad was not armed? Also possible he came through the back entrance. But i agree i also think the perp knew them and maybe knew code. Who disappeared, who is laying low? those are key questions.

I'm still hung up on how the perpetrator gained entry into the home. There was a keypad at the front door but does this also mean there was a home security system that would have alarmed if someone tried to force entry through a window or door? It's been said here the girls were religious about always locking up at night. It seems most likely that the perp knew the key code, knew the layout if the residence, and gained access through the front door. This person knew who his target was and this victim would have sustained the worst injuries during a prolonged attack. The other possibility might be that there was a blitz-type of attack while one of the girls was outside with the dog. It's possible they have a solid suspect who quickly left town and the FBI was given the task of tracking him down. I'm probably totally wrong but we are going on practically no facts in this case which I actually prefer. I want to see this scum successfully tried in a court of law where the actual facts will be presented rather than jeopardizing the case by leaking evidence to the press.

When I was in college (eons ago) doors were rarely locked on party nights as people filtered through. Colleges in smaller towns generate a sense of security that is absent in big city universities, although even there, kids party a little too much, leave doors open, keys in the door lock, and so on.

When one is 20, one often feels immortal. The older we get, the more security conscious most of us get.

Moo

Possibly someone who lived with them prior and still had the code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx