ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide - Moscow #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
trying to bring this forward from the last thread

It seems like a complicated layout unless one knows it personally.

Maybe I am naive, but I think it would be difficult to enter a strange house, in the dark, and murder people- presumably the killer is not turning the lights on right? So if s/he does not know the layout and where the furniture, stairs, doorways are, isn't s/he tripping and banging into things? Just makes me think this person was in this house before and not that long ago- IMO.
Yes and maybe skipped the girls downstairs because the target was upstairs and only killed Ethan and gf bc they got in the way . Because if they were killed around 4 am that may have taken a little bit and anytime after 4 it is starting to get light out now that we are nearing winter . I just can’t imagine someone when there are so many houses walking out the front door and getting into a car risking someone seeing them in blood . It had to be someone entering the back from wooded area on foot which meant they already knew the house and how to enter that way . I can’t shake the feeling that it wasn’t someone their age . For such a crime of this magnitude I feel it was someone older though I could be wrong .

Maybe I missed it, but can someone tell me how we know the girls came home and walked the dog? According to DM, all roomates were home by 1:45, however in the same story they say the girls were at the food truck at 1:53. I am just wondering if it is possible the girls came home and walked in on the crime in progress.

'Watch out for each other': Cops investigate Idaho students' murder 'Watch out for each other': Cops investigate Idaho students' murder via Home | Daily Mail Online

This article is in the media-only thread:
Man reportedly threatened students with knife on UI campus

Does anyone know if they ever found this guy? I'm sure they are looking into any possible connections, but I found it strange this just happened in September, and I didn't see any updates.
Interesting. He’s not likely to be apprehended though on a college campus in Idaho with this description, “The suspect is described as an 18- to 22-year-old white male. He was wearing a black baseball cap, black clothes, square-framed eyeglasses and had a five o’clock shadow. The UI alert says he had a nondescript mountain bike and a blue backpack.”

Thanks everyone for the continued discussion.

From the last thread thread:

This is the house (from Google Maps)
View attachment 380295
Hi, welcome, thanks, adding to media thread, do you have the specific link for this please? Thank you!

——

Also, is there an official transcript yet for today’s PC?

—-

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it, but can someone tell me how we know the girls came home and walked the dog? According to DM, all roomates were home by 1:45, however in the same story they say the girls were at the food truck at 1:53. I am just wondering if it is possible the girls came home and walked in on the crime in progress.

'Watch out for each other': Cops investigate Idaho students' murder 'Watch out for each other': Cops investigate Idaho students' murder via Home | Daily Mail Online
Kaylee's sister is the one who said that the dog was let outside. I have been looking through the thread to try and find where she said it, I will edit if I find it

I've been following closely and watched the press release - it seems hard to speculate at this point. The fact that the roommates were home was a massive (and disturbing) bombshell. I do have a lot of questions about the 911 call. Someone on the previous thread mentioned maybe the perpetrator called the cops - certainly possible considering the time 911 was called and that it might not have been the roommates. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the roommates in the home did not realize anything was amiss, whether they were sleeping or up and about on Sunday.

The house (its shape and layout) is really is odd to me. I just remember that in college and grad school, I didn't often pay too much attention to my roommates' coming and going. It wouldn't surprise me if the perp gained access via the balcony, was hiding in the house, or at some point the door wasn't locked (even for a short time). I'll be interested to hear more about Uber drivers and events earlier on in the night at the bar / party. All IMO. As others have stated, I agree that it's very likely only one person (or two) was targeted that night.

IMO, but I don't think that the fact that 2 people in the house were not murdered is a sufficient reason to say this was a "targeted attack" per LE.
The revelation of the presence of the two unharmed roommates did seem like a bombshell. However, based on what was said at the press conference, it doesn't seem like the police consider them to be suspects or persons of interest. It's conceivable that they slept through the murders and woke up late to a horrible scene.

The revelation about the roommates probably explains why the police first described the killing as "targeted" (because 4 people were killed and 2 were left unharmed). But it's conceivable that the unharmed girls were just overlooked by the killer.

So as surprising as the new fact about the roommates is, we still don't know whether the killer was known to the victims or unknown. As I stated in a post earlier today, the more time that goes by without the police naming a suspect or a person of interest, the more I think this might be a case of a random killer, perhaps a serial killer.

If it were someone known to the killers, then it seems like the police should have made some progress by now. But if it were a random/serial killer who disappeared into the night and fled far away then I can understand how the police are having such a hard time making progress.

As surprising as it was to hear about the presence of the two surviving roommates, I was left with the feeling of we got nothin'.

I work in higher ed, and my guess is - no. Post-pandemic, universities are under enormous pressure to maintain in-person instruction. They probably should make accommodations for students, but I doubt they will, especially this close to Thanksgiving and winter break.

These are extraoridinary circumstances. I would bet they'll allow those who leave to stream their classes virtually and/or make lectures available to watch virtually afterwards. JMO.

Thanks everyone for the continued discussion.

From the last thread thread:

Hi, welcome, thanks, adding to media thread, do you have the specific link for this please? Thank you!

——

Also, is there an official transcript yet for today’s PC?

—-

Bringing forward today’s PC:
Insert link

—-

Insert quick link to 100 notes.
sure Google Maps

The revelation of the presence of the two unharmed roommates did seem like a bombshell. However, based on what was said at the press conference, it doesn't seem like the police consider them to be suspects or persons of interest. It's conceivable that they slept through the murders and woke up late to a horrible scene.

The revelation about the roommates probably explains why the police first described the killing as "targeted" (because 4 people were killed and 2 were left unharmed). But it's conceivable that the unharmed girls were just overlooked by the killer.

So as surprising as the new fact about the roommates is, we still don't know whether the killer was known to the victims or unknown. As I stated in a post earlier today, the more time that goes by without the police naming a suspect or a person of interest, the more I think this might be a case of a random killer, perhaps a serial killer. If it were someone known to the killers, then it seems like the police should have made some progress by now. But if it were a random/serial killer who disappeared into the night and fled far away then I can understand how the police are having such a hard time making progress.

As surprising as it was to hear about the presence of the two surviving roommates, I was left with the feeling of we got nothin'.
well put. how terrifying to think this might not get solved right away. :(

trying to bring this forward from the last thread

It seems like a complicated layout unless one knows it personally.

Maybe I am naive, but I think it would be difficult to enter a strange house, in the dark, and murder people- presumably the killer is not turning the lights on right? So if s/he does not know the layout and where the furniture, stairs, doorways are, isn't s/he tripping and banging into things? Just makes me think this person was in this house before and not that long ago- IMO.

Or they got there before any of the occupants and hid.

So as surprising as the new fact about the roommates is, we still don't know whether the killer was known to the victims or unknown. As I stated in a post earlier today, the more time that goes by without the police naming a suspect or a person of interest, the more I think this might be a case of a random killer, perhaps a serial killer.

If it were someone known to the killers, then it seems like the police should have made some progress by now. But if it were a random/serial killer who disappeared into the night and fled far away then I can understand how the police are having such a hard time making progress.

Definitely did not mean to imply that the roommates were suspects! I think they probably, as you say, woke up to a horrible scene. If anything, it is clarifying.

I also agree with the high probability of a random killer, as you say. IMO.

This article is in the media-only thread:
Man reportedly threatened students with knife on UI campus

Does anyone know if they ever found this guy? I'm sure they are looking into any possible connections, but I found it strange this just happened in September, and I didn't see any updates.
I was under the assumption he'd been identified and released, but I'll have to go and look him up.
Btw -- Welcome to Websleuths !!!!

Eta : No, he has not been ID'd.

From the link I'll post below, it's interesting that he rode up behind them on a mtn. bike, which is sometimes used for difficult terrain.
Did the killer ride up to the house or from behind the building, on a bike ?

Last edited:
These are extraoridinary circumstances. I would bet they'll allow those who leave to stream their classes virtually and/or make lectures available to watch virtually afterwards. JMO.
Certainly, instructors / professors might move to online or hybrid, but the school will probably not say "all classes remote for x amount of time." This is both for the reason I mentioned, and also because the winter break is so close.

what are the chances it was multiple people?

Police should have plenty of footprints (in blood, sadly) to determine the number of offenders, Moo.

I don't know if it is worth revealing information so early in an investigation. If they have a specific shoe size, make and model, that would certainly narrow the focus (at the risk of compromising the killer's potentially incriminating evidence.) Tough balancing act for the police.

Moo.

Hope they snag every camera footage from Moscow to Pullman and beyond. Some video cameras overwrite memory storage pretty quickly, 7 days seems to be a practical limit to get everything. They are gonna need a lot of help. Same for every Ring camera within what, a mile of the scene?

We're I the college president, I might append his note with a request for every student and faculty to jot down anything that seemed odd in the days up to and after the crime. Not to flood the police with anything and everything, but just to make personal notes of anything that seemed out of the ordinary. Maybe a single page's worth. While memories are fresh. Heaven forbid the case goes cold, but if it does, all those bits and pieces might have a clue. JMO.

Certainly, instructors / professors might move to online or hybrid, but the school will probably not say "all classes remote for x amount of time." This is both for the reason I mentioned, and also because the winter break is so close.

Right, but the school doesn't need to make all classes remote if they're remaining open. No reason to. But I doubt they'd punish the ones who are leaving by not allowing virtual option. The fact that winter break is close is even more reason to allow it because surely these kids will still have to take finals. So I say let them do virtual classes if they choose to leave so they can still take their finals and have all the information those who stayed for in-person classes will get.

All MOO.

Watched the press release 2x The law enforcement guarded comments suggest they already know basically what happened and are protecting the information. That’s their job. The college authorities said all the legally required elements to insure safety for the students . That’s also their job .There are many moving parts when you have roommates in college and such a carefree time can turn at the blink of an eye . Fortunately it doesn’t occur often. Hopefully the families are being kept in the law enforcement loop enough to bring them some form of resolve but we all here know it will not bring peace And there are no words that can do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly