ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m been on Methadone(synthetic heroin) for pain. It can cause you to gain weight because you don’t do anything & crave sweets. Addicts often lose weight because they’re not living a normal lifestyle & they spend $$ on drugs instead of food. I was an honors student & needed very little studying in college to make grades. There’s NO WAY I would’ve been able to do that on my meds. It’s JMO that he had to be clean, at least for part of college.

Stimulants have the exact opposite affect. Figure cocaine, meth, PCP. These are the drugs that come to mind in something like this. MOO.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> In the early moments of the case, i had wondered if it was a guy who snuck in and was planning to watch KG sleep - maybe SA while she was passed out, but not aggressive enough SA to be noticed by her the next day. maybe he had even done it before, maybe it was routine based on studying their habits. And then the murders occurred because something made him snap - (Original thought was that he heard KG talking to JD saying she was getting back with him or how much she loved him) But it never felt like the pieces really fit. However. If you say that he made comments or remarks - and then you add those to an incel personality, it would certainly fit much more neatly.

Not sure I’m entirely on board with this as a theory anymore, but i think it’s certainly plausible.

I’ve always wrestled with LE stating it was “a targeted attack” because it’s always felt like the only way to distinguish is amount and veracity of wounds relative to one individual. And the only thing I can see that would make a man stab a women so many times is love or passion. But then every man in KGs life was cleared. But if it was purely a sexual passion, there would be SA - and there wasn’t. So what could make a man kill in a passionate way with no SA if he wasn’t already romantically involved with his target? I think someone feeling the ultimate rejection in the moment could do that. And there could be even more anger as this was his last time to watch her. So he waits in the closet filling more and more with rage and then finally comes out and kills them.

I know it’s pretty far fetched, but every turn in the case gets crazier and crazier.

People think that this guy was a genius studying criminal behavior - but he was caught (with no DNA, criminal record or fingerprints in systems) entirely across the country in only 6 weeks. That’s actually an incredibly short amount of time for a suspect that didn’t personally know the victims. I think it was a sloppy scene, not thoroughly planned out (hence the other two roommates that lived) and he was only in the house because of one person.

Sorry for the wall of text!

Last edited by a moderator:
True, some people longer for various reasons. But I'm specifically asking about BK. I'm trying to put a resume together of his last 10yrs since high school. Some of the info in media is incorrect regarding times/dates. Just want to know exactly what he's been doing for ten years.
Did you see this post? I thought the years as security guard might help fill out your timeline.

Paste from Lalalacasbah:​

He wanted to be a cop and worked as a security guard for several years until last year.

I missed somehow in all the overwhelming media and fast thread he wanted to be a cop. No surprise though with everything we know now:

"He said Kohberger also took criminal justice courses to potentially become a cop".

"He was also employed as a part-time school security officer by the Pleasant Valley School District for several years until last year".

EDIT BY ME: I'm sorry I can't do a quote in the normal way. I can do the "quote" button, but then can't "paste" it into the post. Hence this one looks sloppy.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate without breaking the WS rules? I'm asking because this concerns me about a connection. I suspected a peripheral one (he stalked her online, in person from a distance), but I hope it's not more than that. jmo
Moscow Police is my reliable resource here:

I believe LE investigated all the stalking allegations reported to them and detectives determined the isolated incidents were not stalking and the two individuals they interviewed were not involved in the murders.

King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID

Last edited:
I'm asking myself: WHY did KG return to Moscow, only for showing her new used SUV to her best friend, if she was heavily (??) stalked before?
She felt safe with her friends, wanted to see her friends and wasn't going to let a stalker control her entire life. And maybe she thought after the passing of time it simmered down.

I had a stalker years ago (customer I served only a few times) and a peace bond from LE ordered to him and he left me alone. But I didn't quit my job (where he started stalking me) or move (he followed me home) because I thought it was over. I was happy to leave my hometown and get away from that BUT I still went back to visit many times.

I think no one thinks these things will happen to them and it depends on the level of stalking maybe and how safe the victims feels? JMO, MOO

On CNN late news, a former LE officer talked about how LE kept him under surveillance as he crossed the country. He either never suspected he was being tailed or didn’t react to it. He’s no genius.

If that’s true that’s got to be the GOAT of all criminal surveillance ops. Right out of a movie.

Moscow Police my reliable resource here:

I believe LE investigated all the stalking allegations reported to them and detectives determined the isolated incidents were not stalking and the two individuals they interviewed were not involved in the murders.

King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID
Thank you, but what I meant was why would "his lawyer helped him add the cliffhanger"? I don't mean to be obtuse; it just comes naturally, I guess ;)

Most drug abusers have underlying psychiatric conditions. Almost all drug abusers who end up in hospitals do. While intoxication can certainly mimic symptoms of some disorders, those cases tend to be outliers.

Parents tend to have skewed perceptions of their kids. Those kinds of unreliable anecdotes are in large part why psychiatric professionals exist. That is, to objectively evaluate one's mental and behavioral status independent of as much bias as humanly possible.

My opinion.

But this just isn't true. A large number of drug abusers may have other psych conditions due to their primary illness of addiction, but not because there's a co-morbid disorder that's driving the addition. The cases of drugs mimicking symptoms of psych disorders are not outliers. We even have a diagnosis for it -- substance-induced depressive disorder or substance-induced mania or substance-induced psychosis. It's a billable code and everything. It's definitely not an outlier. In fact, if you ever work on a detox unit, you'll see about 95% of the patients there will carry one of the above diagnoses. If I treat a patient with substance abuse and they have depression, I usually won't even touch the depression until we have a sobriety plan and re-assessment of the depression once the patient has been sober for a while. That's because drugs and alcohol CAUSE a great number of psych conditions.

View attachment 391144
I posted this in November, do we think it’s really a thrill kill or knew the girls? I think he didn’t know them and searched for a perfect location
Good catch back in November on the Pullman possibility.

I don't understand how driving from Pullman to Moscow would be a "thrill." If you wanted a thrill kill, you wouldn't go next door. Moscow and Pullman operate as one community if you live there. It would be like going to Target if you usually go to WalMart for the "thrill."

Also, it baffles my mind that a CrimJ PhD student would decide to drive 8 miles to murder someone in a state that has the death penalty, from a state that has a moratorium on the death penalty. Of course he would know that. That's why I am thinking this WAS targeted toward someone in that house. If it wasn't he would have killed somewhere in WA instead.

I wonder if they found accounts following her social media? Trolls start faking that right away once a name is released!

Otoh, I could see that since he was practically local. It depends on what his web life looked like.
The FBI was on him for awhile before he was arrested, so hopefully they investigated those possibilities without him figuring out they were on to him.

More info in article:

Authorities narrowed their focus to Kohberger after tracing his ownership of a white Hyundai Elantra seen in the area of the killings, according to two law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation. Kohberger’s DNA has also been matched to genetic material recovered at the off-campus house where the students were stabbed to death, according to the sources.

Genetic genealogy helped investigators identify the suspect, a source with knowledge of the case said. DNA found in Idaho was taken through a public database to find potential matches for family members, the source said. Once potential family matches were found, subsequent investigative work by law enforcement led to the identification of Kohberger, according to the source.

The suspect drove across country in the white car to his parents’ house, according to another law enforcement source. “Sometime right before Christmas we were zeroing in on him being in or going to Pennsylvania,” the source told CNN.
In a post removed from Reddit after Kohberger’s arrest was made public, a student investigator associated with a DeSales University study named Bryan Kohberger sought participation in a research project “to understand how emotions and psychological traits influence decision-making when committing a crime.”

“In particular, this study seeks to understand the story behind your most recent criminal offense, with an emphasis on your thoughts and feelings throughout your experience,” the post said. It is unclear who wrote the questions for the survey.

Did you see this post? I thought the years as security guard might help fill out your timeline.

Paste from Lalalacasbah:​

He wanted to be a cop and worked as a security guard for several years until last year.

I missed somehow in all the overwhelming media and fast thread he wanted to be a cop. No surprise though with everything we know now:

"He said Kohberger also took criminal justice courses to potentially become a cop".

"He was also employed as a part-time school security officer by the Pleasant Valley School District for several years until last year".
I don't understand OP's post:

Who specifically said that BK wanted to be a cop? I don't see that reference in either of the two links provided. Thank you for clarifying.

I’ve worked in LE/security/intel for over a decade and am totally unsurprised the alleged killer had previously worked as a security guard. The field attracts fetishists for the wrong (and right, I suppose) reasons. While I doubt a school security guard gig could have provided exposure to things that may have educated and honed the killer down-the-line, just being in that position/situation provides people with a perception that leads them to think in all different ways. For example, a mall patron enters a mall thinking about what they’re going to buy, where they’re going to go. A mall cop enters the mall thinking about bad guys, looking for bad guys, primed to see and sense those types of things. This heightens senses in a unique way that literally changes the mind. Thinking about an individual — with the capacity to do what he has done — around children under the guise of some sort of protective, powerful position makes me wildly uneasy. But again, par for the course in this line of work, and another reason why background checks and bonafides are critically important, yet never definitive nor to be completely trusted.

But this just isn't true. A large number of drug abusers may have other psych conditions due to their primary illness of addiction, but not because there's a co-morbid disorder that's driving the addition. The cases of drugs mimicking symptoms of psych disorders are not outliers. We even have a diagnosis for it -- substance-induced depressive disorder or substance-induced mania or substance-induced psychosis. It's a billable code and everything. It's definitely not an outlier. In fact, if you ever work on a detox unit, you'll see about 95% of the patients there will carry one of the above diagnoses.
That is true. It can also be true that most drug users are self-medicating for something. They often end up with another worse something after the drugs - not what they bargained for.

I disagree. Many people use drugs (aha alcohol) to self-mediate. People with healthy coping skills whose lives are going well are unlikely to use illegal and addictive drugs to self-medicate.

You can disagree, but what are you basing it on? I'm basing it on my professional experience in the field. Yes, people self-medicate. But the comment I was responding to said this applied to "almost all."

Good catch back in November on the Pullman possibility.

I don't understand how driving from Pullman to Moscow would be a "thrill." If you wanted a thrill kill, you wouldn't go next door. Moscow and Pullman operate as one community if you live there. It would be like going to Target if you usually go to WalMart for the "thrill."

Also, it baffles my mind that a CrimJ PhD student would decide to drive 8 miles to murder someone in a state that has the death penalty, from a state that has a moratorium on the death penalty. Of course he would know that. That's why I am thinking this WAS targeted toward someone in that house. If it wasn't he would have killed somewhere in WA instead.

I think he just itched to kill, agree that it was a thrill kill, and think BK had several target homes. JMO. I don't believe he had any traceable connection to anyone in that house, and sadly, the stars aligned so that he attacked that house, and on that night.

I don't understand OP's post:

Who specifically said that BK wanted to be a cop? I don't see that reference in either of the two links provided. Thank you for clarifying.
Here is more context from the article (edited - looks like original article was in Daily Beast):

Nick Mcloughlin, 26, who was friends with Kohberger in high school and vocational school, described Kohberger as “down to earth” and overweight when they graduated junior year. But at the start of senior year, Kohberger was “thinner than a rail” and turned “aggressive,” he said. He’d also picked up a new hobby: taking boxing classes.

“He always wanted to fight somebody, he was bullying people. We started cutting him off from our friend group because he was 100 percent a different person,” Mcloughlin said, adding that he had “no idea” what might have contributed to the change that summer.

Mcloughlin said he and Kohberger would spend half the school day at Pleasant Valley High before heading to Monroe County’s vocational school, where they took classes related to heating and air conditioning work. He said Kohberger also took criminal justice courses to potentially become a cop.

Some people have speculated that he could be on ADHD drugs, I guess it’s due to his sunken eyes from his arrest photo. We really don’t know if he was taking something of the sort or not.

There is social stigma attached to ADHD drugs due to those who shift the blame to the medication for transgressive behavior.
By all accounts, not everyone on Adderall or Ritalin have ADHD. I’m on Adderall to treat narcolepsy symptoms, for example. In addition, ADHD medications does not make someone go from being a good person to a homicidal maniac. I believe someone like him is already susceptible to some degree of criminal behavior with or without the drugs.

From personal experience, there can be a noticeable shift in personality to those who takes cognitive enhancement drugs. Among other things, extroverted to introverted, soft rock to classical music (minor changes). Adderall does not change a person’s morale sensitivity.

MOO

That’s super interesting - it reminds me of the new doc on Netflix about the guy who wanted to be a cop really bad, but was a corrections officer and was calling fast food restaurants across the country making employees strip search other employees - and did this over 100 times.
There was also Gabriel Wortman in Canada here who did the mass killings in Nova Scotia and had a fake police cruiser he used and in high school wanted to be a cop.

IIRC, this is a common thread in some mass murderers as well, but I am foggy on the stats on that. JMO, MOO

I had never heard the word "Incel" before following this case. But as I was reading the description of BCK, that was my first thought was that he may be an incel.
I hadn’t heard it before either! I had to look up the definition ! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member