ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Work in a middle school. Everyone is finger printed, even the bus drivers.
I was to teach college. Administrators are getting more careful. Let's hope his prints are on file & there's a match to the crime scene(s). There must be DNA there, somewhere, somehow. A hair at least.

IMO I don’t think he’s connected to them at all and if so very briefly. With BK’s extensive criminal educational background and probable sociopathic tendencies, he found what he considered the perfect victims. A party house with many inhabitants and visitors. Weekends were about intoxication, people coming and going…unlocked doors. With that criminal education I’d think he’d be aware of the numerous fingerprints and the great deal of DNA from many people already in that house. Again IMO

nah. He used a car to drive to the scene. Left DNA.

His criminal education didn't give him any benefits. This is what you call an amateur. That is what he is.

JMO, MOO I think it's possible his behavior changed perhaps by isolation and probably addicted and obsessed with some online sites that might be um how do I say... brainwashing. We've seen it happen with so many of these young men killers, educated or not.

I will bet he visited male and misogynist orientated sites, violence/death/weapons sites, violence against people/women, sexual sites, etc. I think violence excited and aroused him.

Drugs (roids possibly) might accelerate an already desire to kill but I think he fantasized this for years. I don't think the personality change is when he started getting into this stuff. JMO, MOO

How do you think they made the match?
"Authorities narrowed their focus to Kohberger after tracing his ownership of a white Hyundai Elantra seen in the area of the killings, according to two law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation. Kohberger’s DNA has also been matched to genetic material recovered at the off-campus house where the students were stabbed to death, according to the sources.

Genetic genealogy helped investigators identify the suspect, a source with knowledge of the case said. DNA found in Idaho was taken through a public database to find potential matches for family members, the source said. Once potential family matches were found, subsequent investigative work by law enforcement led to the identification of Kohberger, according to the source."

Getting IRB approval is a rigorous process
It is a red flag to have a survey appear in public to be completed by people online with the appearance of being approved by a research committee- and not have been.
If he has the school’s name, his own name, and also contacts from the school- that looks like fraud by someone not playing with a full deck
How did someone earn an MS without knowing basic research methods?
This sounds like an unapproved class project, not any type of approved research

JMO
somewhere on the last thread is a link which has the names of the two ' principal investigators for the study' ( it named the two DeSales academics. The reddit link details also said
'This research has been approved by the DeSales University IRB'

too difficult to find that link again without a lot of effort.

nonetheless, while looking for it, also came across the general comments from a different member of staff
'Jubilan recalled Kohberger had a great interest in forensic psychology and criminal profiling, and said the undergrad indicated he intended to pursue a doctorate in related fields.....
Jubilan said he was stunned Friday morning when a fellow professor mentioned the slayings his former student is now suspected of committing.

“It was a shock. I didn’t really see anything regarding his personality that he was mean or nasty or anything,” Jubilan said. “He was just a little awkward with his peers. He liked to work alone.”

View attachment 391112
Lil humble brag I posted this on Nov 22 lol, I’m definitely not the only one but I feel proud haha

Good call man. My mindset was that nobody would be stupid in this day and age to use their car to get to the crime scene. I was wrong. I thought it was a direct neighbor.

Can't totally discount a criminal's lack of criminal intelligence. Many times, smart people make stupid criminals.

This is a bit of a silly question, but what software did he use to conduct the survey? At my college, we use a few types of sites for surveys and they are not always confidential.
Qualtrics which is a good option but I think it is also highly customizable and may require confidentiality protection settings to be implemented manually. IME researchers have been asked to address the email and IP address collection to explain how identifiable data will/won’t be collected/stored when using online data collection methods.

I don't know how frats work (I'm in Canada so not as big a thing here), but would BK have blended into and randomly attended any frat parties that weekend?

He seems very comfortable with Uni/campus life. Or maybe he was at the campus hangouts on the weekend scouting victims if it wasn't a long term plan?

I agree with you. I have to wonder if he hasn't had criminal tendencies for a very long time. Perhaps majoring in criminal justice was a way to squash those tendencies, or perhaps he wanted to learn more about criminal behavior.

Rather, he might have wanted to use his true passion to a good purpose, catching criminals, but instead, watching pictures and other study materials on the screen contributed to his triggers.

One thing, however, I want to add. Neither DeSalle school, nor WASU, nor UI are in any way involved, as there is no way to predict homicidal behavior in a person, especially without prior history. A vegan at this. JMO, but I hope people would agree with me.

Bryan Kohberger's friend described the difference in his appearance and demeanor before his senior year.
Mcloughlin said Kohberger was 'down to Earth,' when he graduated junior year. But at the start of senior year, Kohberger returned 'thinner than a rail,' had turned 'aggressive' and taken up boxing.

Recalling how their friendship soured, Mcloughlin added: 'He always wanted to fight somebody, he was bullying people. We started cutting him off from our friend group because he was 100 percent a different person.'

Kohberger said he has 'no idea' what prompted the sudden change.

ETA - This might have referred to his Junior and Senior year at DeSales. Regardless, he had experienced a pronounced change in behavior in the 18 months before the murders.

JMO
It was referencing his high school years when he was described as chubby and over-weight.

From the NYT article linked above:

This sounds like the murders were something he had been planning for a while, JMO. There was a sort of urge or compulsion building up in him that he had to carry out. This sounds like a few other killers, like BTK or Ted Bundy.

He was also willing to talk more to people because he wanted to know what they were thinking, whether they might suspect he was the killer.
Ugh why am I not surprised. The euphoric high and satisfaction after the kill, awful :(

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

We have a non-blood ex-relative (an aunt who used to be a part of the family via marriage but is now divorced) quoted in the news as saying he was OCD about being vegan. That’s it as far as anything remotely related to his mental health, right? Or is there something I’m missing?

AND we don’t know when this “OCD” was taking place (when he was 15, last year, last month …???) - plus, was he really diagnosed with OCD or was the aunt just using that term casually (which is really common)? And how well did this ex-aunt know him in the first place?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, I am not sure how he is connected to the four roommates. I wonder how he knows them? How is B connected? That is my biggest disconnect because he lived Pullman Wa and went to school there as well.
I'm not sure he actually knew them. He might have been part of the Moscow night life and somehow ended up at the "party house" which he subsequently thought might be a good place to commit murder.

I don't know how frats work (I'm in Canada so not as big a thing here), but would BK have blended into and randomly attended any frat parties that weekend?

He seems very comfortable with Uni/campus life. Or maybe he was at the campus hangouts on the weekend scouting victims if it wasn't a long term plan?
IMO he's too old for frat parties. Also, frats don't let other guys in that are not in that fraternity. It's so there's never more guys than girls at the party :rolleyes:

Since so many people who've known him described him as socially awkward, my guess would be no. He may very well have attended an event, but I get the impression he'd stick out like a sore thumb, especially if it was for undergrads. MOO

It seems likely he followed them online, then ate where they worked, went to the bar where they liked to go, watched them on the feed from the grub truck where they liked to eat late

JMO
That’s quite possible too, I haven’t seen that reported. IMO from what we’ve learned from his background thus far, which includes an extensive criminal justice education…. I find it quite possible that he may of searched for victims that he felt he could cover his tracks (fingerprints,DNA). I can’t believe NONE of that criminal education he had didn’t come in to play. MOO

12/30/22

[..]

The Lehigh Valley News, a nonprofit online news site in Pennsylvania, reported that Kohberger was a student of DeSales forensic psychology Professor Katherine Ramsland, an expert on serial killers who has written dozens of books, including “How to Catch a Killer” and “The Mind of a Murderer.” She also has consulted with several TV shows focused on crime, including CSI, according to her online university biography. She wrote “Confessions of a Serial Killer,” a biography of Dennis Lynn Rader, who tortured and murdered 10 people, including a family of four in Wichita, Kansas, in 1974. Rader wasn’t arrested until 2004. The book was published in 2016.

Lehigh Valley News wrote that Ramsland confirmed Kohberger was her student but declined further comment.

[..]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member