ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And so you're standing in your bedroom in your boxer shorts, woken out of a deep sleep, confused, disoriented, frightened, shocked as hell, surrounded by 20 uniformed officers of various agencies combing through your childhood home, your parents looking on, frantic as you're provided the reason for your detainment: would it really occur to anyone here to ask, Has anyone else been arrested?

IMO he's too old for frat parties. Also, frats don't let other guys in that are not in that fraternity. It's so there's never more guys than girls at the party :rolleyes:
Okay thank you for clarifying :) That's what I wanted answered, if non-fratters/public could attend another frat's party or if it was more closed off socially.

Getting IRB approval is a rigorous process
It is a red flag to have a survey appear in public to be completed by people online with the appearance of being approved by a research committee- and not have been.
If he has the school’s name, his own name, and also contacts from the school- that looks like fraud by someone not playing with a full deck
How did someone earn an MS without knowing basic research methods?
This sounds like an unapproved class project, not any type of approved research

JMO
Yes. I think his serious descent toward murder took a very publicly deviant turn with this supposed "research." Interested in what else is going to come out. Also curious if anyone at DeSales Uni ever red-flagged this to his former advisors/administration.

It is very troubling.

MOO

From the NYT article linked above:

This sounds like the murders were something he had been planning for a while, JMO. There was a sort of urge or compulsion building up in him that he had to carry out. This sounds like a few other killers, like BTK or Ted Bundy.

He was also willing to talk more to people because he wanted to know what they were thinking, whether they might suspect he was the killer.
It could very well have been a constant obsession that was preying on his mind. Once relieved by physically acting it out, he was able to get the monkey off his back. There would have been a period where he felt relief, though it probably would only have been temporary and once again he'd feel the need to kill. Anxiety caused by guilt and worry about being caught would probably not have plagued him, at least not on a "gut" level. Assuming, of course, that he's one of the sociopathic type; the sort I like to call "recreational killers."

My own outlandish theory, but maybe whilst conducting his study on reddit he came into communication with someone who shared "similar interests." They could have then "teamed up" to commit this crime.

Totally my own opinion, and yes I have watched all seasons of criminal minds ;)
Take a look at the Idaho area and review some of the past crimes. I believe he learned from the surveys and chose the university to be in that region. There are plenty of places out east with excellent criminal justice programs. I can't imagine that he arrived in August and by November was ready to commit this insane crime. The survey period was only a few months before arriving in Washington. The post listed posted "7 months ago" which would make the survey a Late April or May posting. I would believe this is a little late to be gathering data for a research paper. In fact, I would expect Research papers to be turned in by May just before graduation.

On CNN late news, a former LE officer talked about how LE kept him under surveillance as he crossed the country. He either never suspected he was being tailed or didn’t react to it. He’s no genius.
He might be smart, but he also shows signs of narcissistic personality disorder that might interfere with his functioning. I believe he truly thought he would get away with it because he believes he is just "better" than other people. That he knew soooo much about criminology that the small town cops would never figure it out.

Reminds me of Chandler Halderson, the little narcissist who killed (+dismembered) his parents and took great pains to cover it up, but made many stupid mistakes because he just thought no one could measure up to his fantastic intellect.

(Disclaimer, these people have not been diagnosed to the best of my knowledge; this is purely speculative based on my knowledge of mental disorders and criminal behavior. MOO.)

Since so many people who've known him described him as socially awkward, my guess would be no. He may very well have attended an event, but I get the impression he'd stick out like a sore thumb, especially if it was for undergrads. MOO
Yes, was thinking about those games too or bar or eatery. Wonder if he was creeping around on the fringes and sidelines if not blended in.

I really want to know when he got to Moscow. That night, that weekend, that week?

And so you're standing in your bedroom in your boxer shorts, woken out of a deep sleep, confused, disoriented, frightened, shocked as hell, surrounded by 20 uniformed officers of various agencies combing through your childhood home, your parents looking on, frantic as you're provided the reason for your detainment: would it really occur to anyone here to ask, Has anyone else been arrested?
He may have been concerned that his parents were also being detained. He'd have no way of knowing -- they transport each separately and do not allow them to see/talk to each other.

Yes, was thinking about those games too or bar or eatery. Wonder if he was creeping around on the fringes and sidelines if not blended in.

I really want to know when he got to Moscow. That night, that weekend, that week?
I imagine he blended into the general college town better. My university was in a college town (bigger than Moscow but very much a college town), and there was no shortage of socially awkward grad students hanging around doing their thing.

Edited to add: In my experience, though, they don't usually hang out with undergrads. I wasn't that much older than my students when I was a TA, but my friends and I sort of regarded them as kids and we certainly didn't hang out with them. I don't think that's an unusual perspective for a TA/grad student to have toward undergrads. MOO

Do you guys think he will fight extradition?
Yes, I think he will want to delay his return to Idaho for as long as possible. IMO he probably feels like it's more of a comfort zone being in PA; also, as yet he has not been formally charged and IMO this may be allowing him to mentally ignore the harsh reality of his situation.

I don’t think it’s a secret that a lot of serial killers suffer from OCD. It can manifest in many ways, a spectrum. That said, perhaps his strict vegan lifestyle was the reason Murphy was spared.
Ahhhh thanks for reminding us of the dog! I (almost) forgot about that particular detail. Wow, makes total sense now.

12/30/22

[..]

The Lehigh Valley News, a nonprofit online news site in Pennsylvania, reported that Kohberger was a student of DeSales forensic psychology Professor Katherine Ramsland, an expert on serial killers who has written dozens of books, including “How to Catch a Killer” and “The Mind of a Murderer.” She also has consulted with several TV shows focused on crime, including CSI, according to her online university biography. She wrote “Confessions of a Serial Killer,” a biography of Dennis Lynn Rader, who tortured and murdered 10 people, including a family of four in Wichita, Kansas, in 1974. Rader wasn’t arrested until 2004. The book was published in 2016.

Lehigh Valley News wrote that Ramsland confirmed Kohberger was her student but declined further comment.

[..]

Wow.

"...She has appeared on more than 200 crime documentaries and magazine shows, is an executive producer of Murder House Flip..."

oof.

Good possibility, especially if he has possibility of family visits (and he wants them). He may prolong it as long as possible. Would not be surprised if his lawyer requests immediate medical care/psych eval.
Generally you take any opportunity you can to delay (if guilty lol). Only reason I can see for not fighting extradition is if the conditions where he is currently locked up are for some reason thought to be worse than Idaho’s accommodations.

Is it me or is it strange that a crime of this magnitude was his first act? He went from one parking ticket to this?
I've seen it happen sadly. A heinous and sick killer in Canada went from identify fraud/making meth (I think it was) to being on the lam and hiding from LE (with that new identity) for many years and got a job working in a lab. He was also a medical student at one time and thought to be quite intelligent.

Then he committed a heinous crime to 3 people in one night after years of fantasizing and watching online material and books about violence. I don't think they found anything else on him in between those times.

BK might have done B&E's, fraud or other things were are yet to find out about. I'm very curious if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member