ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the questions in his survey would not have been ethically approved at my university either. Not a chance. Even the way the questions are phrased are almost leading the participant to give the answers that he wants imo, perhaps to confirm a preconceived notion/thoughts he has.
Tried to read everything but am falling behind.

I agree with all those who are dubious about BK's survey.

I'm a retired teacher, not a professor, with two Master's degrees. Therefore I wrote and defended two theses. Though they did not include surveys I did have both qualitative and quantitative research.

IMO these survey questions put forth by BK are not only sophomoric and vague but truly dangerous.

As many of you have stated, these questions about how the criminals felt during the commission of their crimes are not controlled, and could easily inflame the subjects who enjoy the mental feast of rehashing their crimes.

"Please describe your thoughts and feelings" is an incredibly nebulous question. Specifics would be asked instead, granular questions really, in any survey worth its salt. Definitely not online with no controls.

IMO and experience.

Hopefully this post isn’t too off topic. But it seems the authorities were able to get a DNA match very quickly. Why is it other DNA kits sit on a shelf somewhere for months, untested, due to backlogs at state levels?

I’ve followed a couple of murder cases recently on WS and in one case in particular, a rape kit wasn’t tested for months and if the testing hadn’t been delayed, another woman wouldn’t have lost her life.

I agree with you and it isn't right.
Rape cases aren't given high priority and that needs to change for all we know WA, ID or PA have untested rape kits with BK's DNA but were never tested.

What's the source that says he didn't own the Elantra? This says otherwise:

Yep, I had to write a reply to my own post with that very same response. He apparently DID own the vehicle, so I was just whistling in the wind there.

Public defenders, overloaded by the number of cases, will encourage a plea deal. This defender I'm assuming is in PA, so who will defend him in Idaho?? Will some infamous defense attorney step forward and defend this guy possibly pro bono and drag the case out for years?
He’ll either be appointed an attorney or hire one once he is back in Idaho and arraigned. So far in other big cases we haven’t seen national attorneys get involved - local attorneys were appointed even in Delphi.

If it gets to trial you may have experienced trial attorneys step in but most people who are high profile have enough work without volunteering for publicity.

Healey and Kohberger's NCC friend both used the word "shocked" to describe their reactions when they heard about law enforcement's early Friday morning raid on his parents' Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, home and his subsequent arrest.

Kohberger's NCC friend said she found out that he was in custody while she was at work, and she took a few moments to herself, because she began to tear up.

He was "awkward and intelligent, but not someone you would peg for violent," she said.

"I want to talk to him now and ask him what happened? What went wrong? What was going through your head? What were you feeling? What was going on? You know, why did this occur?"

His friend said that he didn't interact with many people on campus but was friendly with her, and they talked "for hours" about his struggles with heroin addiction and his weight and kept in touch after they graduated.
I think
Assuming that he acted alone (which I think he did)… how did he pull off stabbing 4 able-bodied, healthy, young college students?

He’s 28 and a regular looking dude. No bodybuilder or ex military. How did he see where he was going in the house at night? Night goggles? Did he stab knowing where to hit the vital points? Or go on a rage-fueled frenzy? That would have probably caused him a serious injury and there is no report from any of his fellow students or professors that he took days off or showed up with wounds.

I know it sounds very silence of the lambs but I really think he used night goggles and that the victims were attacked in an extremely effective way. I don’t see him slashing and hacking at random in the night.
Agree, but I still fund it odd that one person can kill 4 able bodied young people without even waking up the other people in the house. Why wouldn't the others run after the first kill or even stab? Unless he had a gun to intimidate them into staying. You can't really run from a gun in that close quarters, but if there are 4 people, someone should have been able to get away.

It’s a bit more nuanced than that. I personally am fine with LE using genealogy to find perpetrators of violent crime, but it can be considered a slippery slope. Violent crime is one thing, but I do not want every small nonviolent crime, like petty theft, drug use, etc case using familial DNA…
Exactly, that was why I opted out of Gedmatch for a few years. (I opted back in about a year ago)
Also petty crime is a very slippery slope because there is almost always cross contamination at those scenes.

Fair point. However, they still are looking for the murder weapon, so... Besides, wouldn't be risky to keep the murder weapon for over a month before disposing it? It is a genuine question.

Fair point. However, they still are looking for the murder weapon, so... Besides, wouldn't be risky to keep the murder weapon for over a month before disposing it? It is a genuine question.
If he knew he was leaving to travel across the country in just over a month, seems like a perfect idea to get rid of the murder weapon (along the way). But yes, you are correct. If they have not located the knife yet, probably not an accurate assessment on my part.

One can only speculate at this point, but I wonder if BK started his descent into depravity while studying with Professor Ramsland, who explores the world of the serial killer from the criminal's perspective much as BK's study was designed to do. In 2016, she published her interviews with the BTK killer under the title, "Confession." She was probably working on this book while BK was her student. My view is that BK began to identify with BTK while he was studying under Ramsland. Chillingly, BTK had a personal code for his motto: “D.T.P.G.” stands for “Death to pretty girls.”

It would be easy for a young man with internal and external boundary issues to go to the dark side with this charismatic professor and not find his way back. Much of her work is fiction and fantasy, literally. Some is pseudo-science IMO, including her work on profiling. She seems to acknowledge this point in an NYT interview:

"Years before she started studying serial killers, Ramsland wrote her Ph.D. dissertation on Soren Kierkegaard, the “father” of existentialism. She sees Kierkegaard as informing her most controversial idea in 'Confession' — that some serial killers are more like the rest of us than common wisdom tells us. In the annals of serial killers, [BTK] is hardly the only one who held down a facade of normalcy while hunting his prey, but he managed it far longer than many others. There are many qualities, Ramsland writes, that ordinary people share with so-called monsters: 'overestimating our willpower, idealizing ourselves, daydreaming about power, indulging in secret behaviors that keep attracting us, deceiving others and keeping secrets.' She believes that all of us should lock our doors at night."

She also states in the interview: "Sometimes I think I may be a psychopath." Interesting woman.
I believe the suspected thought/feeling of being a psychopath is from being so absorbed in the research. There is a similar obsession with scientific subjects such that some pursue their phd thesis the rest of their career. So much insight, empathy for the subject can lead to interest and wonder. However, being self aware and modifying behavior or responses and taking a break, and the ability to public discuss discoveries or insights may channel this idea that one is borderline psychopath with respect to what you claim Professor Ramsland stated about herself.

And very briefly, I believe that in Kohberger's circumstances, his life lessons from solving personal barriers had lead him toward believing that by pursuing to overcome those circumstances that make us susceptible to harm we somehow escape by always being in control of those circumstances. Without self awareness and cognitive thinking processes to rationalize our thoughts and modify our behavior in a balanced manner the fear can always remain along with the belief that if we become more knowledgeable, stronger, more peaceful in our thinking, and/or speak more kindly will resolve the issue, it is a really a path of denial that never addresses the source of the fear. So, when those triggers occur within an environment that enables us to believe we are in control, our response will be driven to commit the crime that they fear to be subjected to. My point is that the process starts at an early age and develops when the fundamental issue is not addressed.

The interest in crime, I believe is a result of wanting to have a more powerful position above the criminal and believing that by knowing what a criminal best practice is there is a certain level of control and choice. I suggest there is a reason to study in the PhD program because of its location around several notorious criminal events. Some solved, and some not solved. If Kohberger's actions were not provoked, then I suggest that he had no intention of earning his PhD but used that to place himself in the area. There are many reputable programs in the east nearer to his home.

I am thinking it is more likely they found his DNA under one or more victim's fingernails. In the defense would catagory...or on a forgotten knife sheath dropped and left behind.

I still think there's a possibility of a sexual component to this crime. LE may not have mentioned it. The victims didn't have to be sexually assaulted in order for BK to leave that kind of evidence. I'm not 100% sure on my guess, but thinking its possible. Fingernail scrapings, dropping something like a glove, etc. are stronger possibilities. LE wouldn't make this type of evidence public until after an arrest.

Regarding his Insta:

The one I believe is REAL, that has the one post (a video from Oct. 8) is intriguing because he is following Maddie.

I believe this is his real Insta, since he’s following family numbers with the same last name.

I think Maddie was the target.
Not just intriguing for that! It sure is one interesting video

This could be a possible defense against any GPS information that might exist putting him in the area of the house previously. JMO
Hyundai killed all two communication support for that particular infotainment system in January of this year. Stolen vehicle tracking, roadside assistance, the SOS button, collision detections all gone. Essentially the Hyundai (and OnStar) services that received that GPS information are gone.

Which means all GPS information is only bounced (pinged) to the satellite from the navigation unit for position. That data is then immediately used in the car and stored in temporary memory. It's one way. So unless he left their address in his "Recent Addresses" list or used another device (like his phone) LE is not going to be able to recover any GPS information from the car. There is no longer a service or server. And GPS satellites themselves are not capable of storing any information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinCaseBreakGlass