ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think he will give a full confession next week once he is presented with the evidence that will prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt?

IMO JMO based on this interview & Chief Fry's comments, they obv got probable cause, but IMO JMO they may not be to BARD yet. They need more for a successful prosecution, according to Chief Fry. Maybe they are already to BARD and just want to ensure that, but I take him at his word, and if that's the case IMO JMO, no BARD yet. They can't go to trial without that because, of course, so I think it will be interesting to see where this goes from a legal standpoint. Barry Morphew is a great example of what happens when you have PC but no BARD IMO JMO.

ICJI 103 REASONABLE DOUBT - Idaho Supreme Courthttps://isc.idaho.gov › jury › criminal › ICJI_103

Response to this comment on the previous thread:

“Do you know anybody allergic to a certain ingredient asking for new pots and pans if the ingredient they are allergic to was cooked previously?”

I would not share anything that was cast iron, a griddle, or any material that was porous (cedar plank, for example) - for two reasons (allergens and meat fat/residue). If something is lined with stainless steel and thoroughly washed, I would be okay with it. Seeing meat in the fridge or freezer would be a huge problem for me, however, just because of the visual IMO JMO.

Idaho murder suspect Kohberger's Pennsylvania classmates say he was 'bright,' awkward, bullied in school

IMO, this guy was no genius, he may have thought he was, but I really don't think so. MOO, of course.
I always try to remind myself that a lot of the stuff that comes out about him from people who knew him are going to merely be one person's own opinion on the guy, and they're going to be trying to make sense of this horrible crime, so they may use their own logic(whether it's right or wrong) to try to fill in the missing pieces so they can make it make sense to them in their own minds.

Like for example, that article has one of his former classmates trying to tie how he was treated in school with his act of murder. Now, maybe it is connected. Maybe once all the information comes out months and years from now and a full picture of this guy is formed, it's evident that he was an awkward sociopath who was bullied, had anger built up towards women and/or society and he was a ticking time bomb. But maybe not. There are millions of awkward people in school who are picked on and never go on to kill anybody. Some even grow out of their awkwardness eventually and are simply late bloomers.

I take these accounts for what they are. They're interesting, I take note of them, and I don't discredit them because they know more about him than I do. But I also try not too put too much stock into them either. They're not psychologists, they haven't psychoanalyzed him professionally, and I think they're people taking what they know about him and trying to draw bridges between that and the murders he committed, which may or may not be related. Too soon to tell.

Maybe his parents picked up on some type of change with him and the dad felt like he needed to check it out and the trip home was a good way to do that. If the reports that he had a drug problem in the past are true they may be hypersensitive to any changes with BK. JMO

Maybe they suspected him even then. This was after the white elantra news broke. They knew his troubled mind. Knew he was close to Moscow. Maybe like you said, they noticed something different about him talking to him on the phone. Makes sense to me.

IMO JMO based on this interview & Chief Fry's comments, they obv got probable cause, but IMO JMO they may not be to BARD yet. They need more for a successful prosecution, according to Chief Fry. Maybe they are already to BARD and just want to ensure that, but I take him at his word, and if that's the case IMO JMO, no BARD yet. They can't go to trial without that because, of course, so I think it will be interesting to see where this goes from a legal standpoint. Barry Morphew is a great example of what happens when you have PC but no BARD IMO JMO.

ICJI 103 REASONABLE DOUBT - Idaho Supreme Courthttps://isc.idaho.gov › jury › criminal › ICJI_103

Response to this comment on the previous thread:

“Do you know anybody allergic to a certain ingredient asking for new pots and pans if the ingredient they are allergic to was cooked previously?”

I would not share anything that was cast iron, a griddle, or any material that was porous (cedar plank, for example) - for two reasons (allergens and meat fat/residue). If something is lined with stainless steel and thoroughly washed, I would be okay with it. Seeing meat in the fridge or freezer would be a huge problem for me, however, just because of the visual IMO JMO.
This may be why at yesterday's press conference, LE was still asking people to come forward if they have information. (JMO).

So do you think they tried to get his discarded DNA but he wouldn't give it up? They had his DNA at the crime scene.
MOO- I've no doubt LE obtained his DNA before the December 14-17th car ride to PA. In 1988 the US Supreme Court ruled that police have the right to legally search garbage, without a warrant. I think they held off on arresting BK hoping to locate the knife, hoping he'd lead them to it (either to dispose of it, or to "visit" it)... MOO. Remember when WA investigators visited the King Road property around December 9th- IMO that was because there was discussion of arresting BK in WA around that time and the visit was part of a probable cause warrant/extradition discussion...MOO-decision was made to not arrest him then, due to the knife issue, and continue with surveillance. IMO the police did the exhaustive Elantra search not just to lull BK into a false sense of security, but to foreclose his defense that some "other" white Elantra was the vehicle, not his...LE can now show they did an exhaustive search for other possible suspects and were able to rule them out...that this was no "rush to judgment" on the part of LE that caused BK's arrest. MOO.

Intellectual? Genius?

He drove 2000 miles to murder people (mostly of a demographic that tends to get a lot of attention when murdered - in other words, would have a lot of LE resources and general attention) in one of only 4 states in the country that not only does not permit the insanity defense*, but also permits the death penalty even if someone is deemed "guilty but insane." He's been arrested within a month-and-a-half because he drove most of the way across the country to a place his car and ID would almost certainly have stood out for the out-of-state aspect and the distance. He apparently used a car associateable with him while accessing gas stations modern enough (like most) to be video-capturing cars and plates of every single vehicle that swings through.

This man is not a genius; he's not even smart or clever. I doubt that his version of meticulous planning some seem to believe he undertook is much more than perhaps dwelling on certain details, possibly obsessively if the OCD thing is accurate clinically. Clearly he did not design a foolproof plan and if it was hyper-detailed, it appears he lacked the ability to discern what was most important and to think through potential flaws, because he missed a big one.

* mental condition can be considered but only to the extent of whether the defendant knew they were committing a crime (seemingly obviously not an issue here); the example the Supreme Court has given, iirc, for an example of the mental state that would meet the standard was someone killing someone they believed to be a wolf.
But he could have used the “Delphi” plan. Just do the crime as best you can and depend on human error to cover you.
The DNA was the key and evidentially he thought he could he avoid leaving it.

Of course we can't be sure, but I also don't know if he can feel shame or embarrassment.

Just from what we can glean so far, I think he possibly may feel anger and disgust that his "perfect crime" failed insofar as he didn't get away with it.

I think he would internalize that, though, and perhaps not allow it to show. Maybe he would just sit through a trial without visible affect.

I'm basing this on his steely-eyed appearance when he received his diploma. I've handed out many a graduation diploma on stage, and rarely have I seen such lack of eye contact and lack of enthusiasm from a student. He did mutter "thank you" with pursed lips.

Also, his alleged “blank stare” when arrested, despite what I’d presume would be chaos in his family at that moment.

Jmo
I think he’s satisfied with having killed, hence his blank stare, that his 15 minutes of desired infamy is just beginning, and he’s feeling like the puppet-master surrounded by all this attention and will continue to do so throughout the legal proceedings. Imo. Now he’s somebody. He’s not invisible anymore and as much as he must have hated being found out, he’s going to love being known as the perpetrator of this vicious and cruel event. Which he was successful at as four lives were ended. Imo.

Maybe. I mean, surely no one drives their car to class at WSU. And I doubt this guy joined in pizza parties or invited people over to his house (although they have vegan pizza in Pullman, it isn't cooked on a pan that's never touched an animal product).

We had a similar student in my grad program (detached, loner, felt he was superior, found a way of distracting the department admin while he went through our files and got our GPA's and GRE scores). He went on to commit major ethical violations in our discipline and is the only person dismissed from graduate work at my university for ethical violations. He never got his doctorate, and is now (with his master's) the head of a major, highly ideologically driven "think tank." I found out he was lying about being married (he was married, lied and said he was single and was dating) because I lived in married student housing - and so did he. When I mentioned this to him, he insisted he wasn't really married to the woman he lived with (but she said they were in fact married, because otherwise she could not have traveled to the US). If he wasn't really married, then he was ineligible for married student housing, so he said he lied just to obtain that housing. Great fellow. His "dates" were almost all one time experiences and often with non-students (waitresses, young university employees). He was a jerk. And he rarely did his homework. His story (of getting kicked out of the program) involved an international incident and made major newspapers. He never attended our little parties, never invited people over (we all rotated hosting little gatherings, not him) and was openly rude/insulting to the other men in the program, but apparently didn't think we women were worth his time to talk to - although he did hit on 2 of the women in a way that today would be considered close to sexual harassment. I learned about his theft of student information when he decided to ask me some questions about my favorite topic - research methods. So lower level rule-breaking led to higher level rule-breaking in his case and I've often wondered what the rest of his life was like. Turns out he has a Wikipedia - the only one of my grad school cohort who has one. He has been married 3 times now, and has 9 children. As an aside, his wife at the time I knew him also did some of his homework, especially the bits that qualified his projects as master's level.
what a charmer

I've read that Maddie and Xana were servers at the same restaurant, Mad Greek:

'You will be greatly missed' | Moscow restaurant remembers University of Idaho students, servers

Did Kaylee work at a different restaurant in Moscow?

I've been looking and can find nothing about her employment. However, I know there was at least one article about it and IIRC, it was a coffee shop.

It certainly wasn't the Mad Greek because the Mad Greek put up a memorial message about the two employees they lost (Xana and Maddie).

I'm not sure Kaylee was still working in Moscow in this, her last semester. No mention of that - the article I'm remembering mentioned her pre-Fall 2022 work. Still looking.

Idaho victim Kaylee Goncalves' father says she had CONNECTIONS to suspected killer | Daily Mail Online

Classmates at DeSale said Kohberger took the course 'Psychology of Death Investigators,' named after one of Ramsald's books, and had completed a research project asking ex-cons to map out how they committed their crimes, The Daily Beast reports.

In a now-deleted Reddit post about the project, students had wanted to 'understand how emotions and psychological traits influence decision-making when committing a crime.'

Kohberger and his project partners had asked the former criminals questions about how they targeted their victims, how they prepared for the crime, their travel details and how the crime played out.
--
So apparently his "research project" was real??

Last edited:
This may have been mentioned before but threads are scrolling quickly. Right now there has been nothing stated as to BK's relation to any of the victims (friend, acquaintance, attended a party, etc.). There had to be some connection if he was able to get into the house without actually breaking in....unless they left the sliding door unlocked, but then he would have to know they left the door(s) frequently unlocked. Will be interesting to hear the entire story once it finally comes out.

EDIT: Just saw that one of the victim's family members said she had a connection to BK.
He might have been a regular at the Greek restaurant and found out where they lived and even frequented a party or two

No way. This guy wants the guts and glory of a big flashy trial with weeks and weeks of coverage.
He doesn't give a damn about sparing his family anything. I think he has Daddy issues, and will relish his father's suffering and humiliation.
He will never reveal the true extent of his crimes.
Pennsylvania State Police should start looking at cold cases going back about ten years, when this maniac started killing. Particularly in the Scranton and Poconos regions.

I highly doubt that the creep frequented any restaurants, because of his vegan "purity of pots and pans" fetish.
Surely there were people that knew the person had a Hyundai Elantra?
I’d certainly hope so.

It's super easy to change an instagram name. Hence a new name can be ascribed to a Beastie Boys or Backstreet Boys or whatever video that was posted on October 8th or any other date. I think it's a totally fake account and not the suspects.

Yes! Because he drives a white Elantra. And I assume he was suddenly nowhere to be found after the murders. Probably told everyone he was traveling for Thanksgiving or something but I suspect he was driving across the country and never returned to Pullman.
Actually, it was reported that he finished the semester which ended in December 9th and didn’t arrive back at his parents home until just before Christmas.
I wonder where the car was during that time? Parked in front of his apartment? Or dropped off out East of Moscow in a barn or some other off the grid area? And he was sitting there doing what? MOO
The first heads-up for an Elantra went out on 12/7/22. The gas station clip came out on 12/13.
Did he and the car really sit in Pullman through that tightening grip after classes were out, only to then take on the historic blizzard that engulfed the NW, Midwest, Southeast and Atlantic coast?
Depraved is another word for evil.
JMOO

Is it possible Mom & Dad suspected it was him. If my child was living 10 miles from a nationally covered brutal quadruple killing, I’d be following very closely. And then when police announce they are looking for an older model white Elantra! His parents can’t be that clueless. Makes me think of Brian Laundries last camping trip with his parents. They knew his girlfriend gabby was missing and he was a POI, but they still chose to spend that last bit of time camping with him.

As a mother, probably no matter what your child does you still love them. Maybe she knew it was likely her last chance to spend time with her son?

Do we think the parents had been contacted by the police early on if there was a partial tag number and the title was in parents name? Maybe just even an inquiry early on, if this vehicle was owned by them and where it was currently located?

Dec 7th (source)

If he was driving back mid-December sounds like they identified him pretty quickly. Very impressive work given 22,000 cars mentioned!

I never bought into the "LE is play 4D chess with their words!" narrative much...with one exception......

They had the license plate all along and asking the public for help by releasing the picture was purely a strategic move
  • They didn't want to spook BK as they likely had nothing but the plate (while likely waiting for the DNA to come back, direct or familial)
  • It gave BK an opportunity to voluntarily come forward as they didn't have enough evidence to connect him to the crime and seek a warrant
  • It allowed them to cast a wide net by soliciting information from the public, in hopes that someone points to BK.
  • It allowed them to show progress in the investigation. Knowing that it would still be weeks before they could obtain a rock solid probable cause affidavit against BK.
The 22,000 Elantra's announcement was oddly specific and likely crafted using whatever profile the FBI had drafted about BK. To put him at ease as he got ready for his trip across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slatchautoclinic