ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 44

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sister Golden Hair ...agree re State v Boland, but in State v Rodriguez, the Court concluded that Mr. Rodriguez had no privacy interest in garbage placed in the community dumpster serving his apartment complex.  Rodriguez, 65 Wash.App. at 418-19, 828 P.2d 636. Given that BK was living in communal housing, his trash in the complex dumpster was accessible to police without a search warrant in WA. Given how Chief Fry operates, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a warrant anyway, as a belt and suspender mode of operating- he's running a first class LE operation, IMO.
You are totally right! I realized that after I responded in the last thread and @acutename asked about his office - and then it hit me 'communal or individual' and I asked at the beginning of this thread. BUT here is the catch, and the reason I didn't immediately think of communal trash. I live in an apartment, and I have private garbage pick-up (nice service). Anyway, thank you for the reminder, and 99% chance you're right about his being communal. I bet you're right, too, that not only would LE have gotten the warrant for the communal one, but I bet they did a thorough warrant for the apartment as well.

I just wonder when they got his DNA, wherever they got it, and I'm really looking forward to finding out what they have to see how close they are to BARD. For tonight, though, I'm going to cave to the pressure of societal norms and go celebrate the NY.

Happy 2023 everyone, and see you on the flip side!

From the article:
“If somebody like this was really a student of criminal justice and criminology, then he would understand certain things like Locard’s Exchange Principle,” Giacalone told The Daily Beast, referring to the time-tested forensic theory that “every contact leaves a trace.”

“It shows you the arrogance of people like him, where he thinks he’s smarter than the cops because he read something in a book,” Giacalone continued. “At the end of the day, experience trumps academics every day of the week and twice on Sunday.”
“It will be really interesting to find out, as we go, if he came prepared,” said Giacalone. “Did he wear gloves, a Tyvek suit, what was he doing to not get caught? Was he covering his hair? Did he wear booties over his shows, knowing that he’s going to be stepping in a lot of blood? Those are behavioral aspects, where [prosecutors] can say, ‘This was well thought-out and planned.”

BBM
I think a lot of this stuff is predicted on the idea he valued not being caught over committing the crime. I'm not sure getting away with it is always a prerequisite in the mind of some people who kill like this. If you turn to something like the survey, it certainly sounds like he wad more interested in the emotions, thinking and approaches to pulling it off as opposed to getting away with it

I think it’s becoming more and more clear that LE was likely playing mind games with BK. Seems like the sort of thing an FBI profiler would carefully guide after they learned who he was and what he was about.

I think LE purposely misidentified the car as a 2013. Knowing that the nuances between that and the 2015 model would not be appreciated by most people. And that the public would still submit tips of any and all white Elantras. I think this purposeful misidentification with no attempt to educate the public on the differences is represented in their choice to put out a stock photo instead of an actual still from the video(s).

The reason for this misidentification? To put BK at ease. I still believe that he had been identified by LE within the first 2 weeks of the investigation from his license plate. And they dug through his life and released the Elantra flyer while waiting for the DNA to come back. There was hope that the flyer would illicit tips connecting BK to the crime without having tk mention his name and/or baiting him to come forward to clear his name under the guise of offering LE help. Getting closer to the investigation. As the profiler likely informed police he might.

The subsequent “22,000” Elantra’s press release always seemed oddly specific to me. As if it was carefully crafted. I think this was also done to put BK at ease and feed his ego. “LE is looking for 22,000 2013 Hyunda Elantras! Mine isn’t in that bunch”. I also suspect another reason they went with a stock photo is that they likely had identifying features or a plate that would have given away that they were on to him.

Why didn’t they want to spook BK? It’s not everyday you have a quadruple homicide suspect in your sights but don’t have enough to confidently arrest him considering circumstances. So they were buying time. I believe at this point they likely had cell phone info, his utility usage at his apartment that night, videos and other evidence putting him out of his house and near or at the crime scene. But how can they be confident with unknown DNA still floating around? So again, they bought time. To make sure the DNA (likely waiting on familial, this wait can be unpredictable) backed up their evidence before making an arrest. As the entire world was watching.

well he forgot to study up on the part about don't drive your own vehicle around the crime scene, be careful about your DNA, and apparently possibly also don't post videos with your reflection or call into pod casts and talk about details of the crime.
I think that the major problem in his possible defense strategy is that the DNA obtained at the home of the victims may have included blood from one or more victims. The location of his DNA may not have been simply skin cells left on a doorway but could have been left on top of areas in which the crime took place. Another possibility is his own blood being left there....now that would be very difficult to explain if so.

I think it’s becoming more and more clear that LE was likely playing mind games with BK. Seems like the sort of thing an FBI profiler would carefully guide after they learned who he was and what he was about.

I think LE purposely misidentified the car as a 2013. Knowing that the nuances between that and the 2015 model would not be appreciated by most people. And that the public would still submit tips of any and all white Elantras. I think this purposeful misidentification with no attempt to educate the public on the differences is represented in their choice to put out a stock photo instead of an actual still from the video(s).

The reason for this misidentification? To put BK at ease. I still believe that he had been identified by LE within the first 2 weeks of the investigation from his license plate. And they dug through his life and released the Elantra flyer while waiting for the DNA to come back. There was hope that the flyer would illicit tips connected to BK without mentioning his name and/or baiting him to come forward to clear his name under the guise of offering LE help. Getting closer to the investigation. As the profiler likely informed police he might.

The subsequent “22,000” Elantra’s press release always seemed oddly specific to me. As if it was carefully crafted. I think this was also done to put BK at ease and feed his ego. “LE is looking for 22,000 2013 Hyunda Elantras! Mine isn’t in that bunch”. I also suspect another reason they went with a stock photo is that they likely had identifying features or a plate that would have given away that they were on to him.

Why didn’t they want to spook BK? It’s not everyday you have a quadruple homicide suspect in your sights but don’t have enough to confidently arrest him considering circumstances. So they were buying time. I believe at this point they likely had cell phone info, his utility usage at his apartment that night, videos and other evidence putting him out of his house and near or at the crime scene. But how can they be confident with unknown DNA still floating around? So again, they bought time. To make sure the DNA (likely waiting on familial, this wait can be unpredictable) backed up their evidence before making an arrest. As the entire world was watching.

That just gives ammo to the defense.

Wish I could hear those calls. Bet they tell a story.
Someone in Pullman near Washington State University might have reported the car. It became more interesting when that car had out of state plates, or out of state car registration. Find the owner, find the driver, find the driver's DNA, compare it to the evidence DNA.

In terms of being a smart criminal, he made sure he wasn't driving his own car. Scores a point.
He didn't own the car, but the car was parked in front of his house and belonged to his family.
Academic criminal.

True, but we don't know that all four were intended victims. Perhaps after entering the house he realized that there were two people awake on the main floor. When he got upstairs was he expecting one roommate, the other popped in for the weekend. One victim turned into four?

He may have planned for one target - one young woman in the upstairs bedroom because the other upstairs roommate had moved out. There are many ways that the plan could have gone sideways as soon as he entered the house.

He was seen driving to the house between 2:45 and 3:15. I've been trying to understand how he could be heading West from hwy 95 to the murders at 2:45-3:15 and heading West on the same road towards Hwy 95 (802 Mobil gas station) at 3:45. 30 minutes later, including the murders, going the wrong way.

I think he missed the turn, ended up near the Safeway, sped to the Mobil gas station turn-off, and drove to Pullman. Only thing that makes sense is that he was so "energized" he was speeding and missed the turn.

View attachment 391393

View attachment 391396

Google Map

I’m not sure it’s been confirmed that the white car on the gas station video is the Elantra, but if it is…it just occurred to me when reading your post and looking at the map, that maybe he went to that area on purpose to ditch the knife? Many dumpsters to chose from. Just a thought, MOO.

Sounds like he was following the case very closely.

Why not put all his stuff in the car and make one trip? Or rent a small uhaul truck? Dad drives the car and he drives the uhaul?
He didn't want anyone to know that the Elantra was traveling across the country, so he quietly drove the car home. I bet he wiped the harddrive on his desktop computer - that was confiscated. If he planned to return to classes after Christmas, he would have kept his car. No way was dad driving back across the country with him after the break and flying home. We all know how it works when a child is across the country at school. They fly home for the holidays, or they stay put because it's too expensive.

Genetic sampling comes from many sources. Not just blood.
Most commercial DNA testing is salvia.
(Previous Biotechnology student)
That’s because blood samples are more expensive to procure. Requires a human with specific training who are limited and not always available. They cost more money. It ruins some patients experience because they are afraid of a blood draw. So it takes more time. So the lab can’t take as many samples as they could by just having someone spit in a tube.

They are in the business of making money after all.

Technology has come a long way to allow for the use of the relatively non invasive saliva to provide a dna profile.

But make no mistake about it. A pin needle drop of Saliva is in no way comparable to a pin needle size of Blood. You’ll always need a larger sample with Saliva and at crime scenes it’s not always as identifiable for sampling since it’s largely invisible. So most of the samples are blind.

That of course doesn’t mean it wasn’t saliva. It just makes it less likely that it was that. And if we are to believe reports/LE that there was no kind of SA that rules out sperm. And considering the profile you can extract from hair. That leaves blood or skin cells being the most likely sources of the DNA.

Idk - aren’t teachers mandated reporters?

Teachers are mandated reporters of things like child abuse. This is a whole new world of information. Technically, everyone is a mandated reporter if they know information about a murder. If someone confides in you that they killed someone and you don't tell LE, you run the risk of being charged with a crime. But as far as I know, short of a confession or someone saying they witnessed the crime, no one - including college teachers/professors - are mandated reporters. JMO.

<modsnip - quoted post was modsnipped>

I’ve seen about 100000 definitions of SA over the last few weeks. But I don’t think we have to agree on a definition to think that LE wouldn’t have made such a definitive statement (I’m almost 100% sure) that there were no signs of SA if there was sperm found at the scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't want anyone to know that the Elantra was traveling across the country, so he quietly drove the car home. I bet he wiped the harddrive on his desktop computer - that was confiscated. If he planned to return to classes after Christmas, he would have kept his car. No way was dad driving back across the country with him after the break and flying home. We all know how it works when a child is across the country at school. They fly home for the holidays, or they stay put because it's too expensive.

Sorry I can’t wrap my brain around this child thing.

The guy was 28!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member