ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't want anyone to know that the Elantra was traveling across the country, so he quietly drove the car home. I bet he wiped the harddrive on his desktop computer - that was confiscated. If he planned to return to classes after Christmas, he would have kept his car. No way was dad driving back across the country with him after the break and flying home. We all know how it works when a child is across the country at school. They fly home for the holidays, or they stay put because it's too expensive.

Hopefully he knows little about computers being wiped but I doubt it. I don't think he used the computer.

I'm going to bet a perp has a burner phone.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
He could well have experimented with it and his parents sent him to rehab because they found out and while in 'rehab' he was taught alpha male skills..?
There's a lot of adjectives being thrown around in the descriptions from his friends old and new but they could mostly apply to almost anyone.
They're not providing a key to the why of it.

Everyone is speculating.
Experts being rolled out are speculating
Nobody knows anything.

And that makes it very safe for everyone.
LE has this and we don't need to worry
But still..

Could be 2 years or longer before this sees a courtroom, probably longer.
PCA /AA probably will be slimmed down too.
He had to have gotten away fairly unscathed since he didn’t raise any alarms related to injuries in classes, as far as we have heard so far.
And I wonder if his Dad went for him because he was freaked out and told his Dad he was drinking or wanted to use Heroin again. Wah wah wah.
Cowards and bullies are oftentimes weak and needy, manipulative. MOO

Okay, I'm just going to say it. <modsnip> I don't think he left his blood or hair, I think he left something that was not his saliva. moo
I disagree. But, I will say that I think the initial motivation had a sexual component. Early on LE reported otherwise saying there was no evidence of sexual assault. I still wonder if this was a knife-point abduction/rape gone wrong because he did not expect the two young women to be sleeping in the same bed. I think he targeted one victim. Publicly LE said it wasn't sexually motivated. I don't know about that.

I disagree. But, I will say that I think the initial motivation had a sexual component. Early on LE reported otherwise saying there was no evidence of sexual assault. I still wonder if this was a knife-point abduction/rape gone wrong because he did not expect the two young women to be sleeping in the same bed. I think he targeted one victim. Publicly LE said it wasn't sexually motivated. I don't know about that.
They didn’t say it wasn’t sexually motivated - they said there was no sign of sexual assault. They’re very different things. Some sexually-motivated killers do not commit sex acts at the scene.

A bit of tabloid journalism
Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger was a ‘creep’ around HS girls, battled heroin addiction

“If he liked or was interested in a girl and she wasn’t, he didn’t understand why or just didn’t accept her saying no and move on and so he would have been labeled as a creep or something along those lines”

Another classmate, Sarah Healey, told Fox that Kohberger was bullied by high school girls, who would even throw things at him.
Healey said that treatment might have been a motivating factor for Kohberger.

“I honestly think that’s what led up to this, because he didn’t get the proper help, and it was mainly females that bullied him”

After his weight loss, he reportedly went from victim to aggressor, classmates said.

Everyine is focused on DNA at present. DNA will pin him to murders, moo, but it is not going to be only DNA that will incriminate him. LE now have his computer, books, notes, clothes, the car he was driving.
I think this is key. IMO he did this as research, to understand how a murderer feels and to explore other details during commission of a crime. I have no doubt he kept detailed notes. If he was smart he kept them encrypted and they may never be accessed. But I am quite sure there are notes detailing the crime.

Right? How could the father have been completely oblivious. Perhaps BK assumed hiding in plain sight made him less suspect rather than taking extreme measures to disguise the car or his association with it. I swear, certain fact about this case make it seem like BK wanted to be caught.
This is just me late-night strictly thinking out loud now and it's all MOO... I keep thinking he has something up his sleeve he thinks is like a loophole to absolve him of being involved. Smug, sneaky, know-it-all type plan he thinks is brilliant.

We all know he should know better than most to not do stupid things. Either he is stupid, or he thought he was being smart and has some defense plan (that will fail), or like you say maybe he wanted to get caught.

Why would he want that? To be a famous killer maybe? Or to get off the treadmill of his life and become what he had studied for so long? Throw it all away-- self-sabotage. Maybe he wanted to have that expert and author write a book about him? It sounds like he was becoming undone after the murders, and some people around him noticed, so it took it's toll on him after. His first killings? I don't profess to understand or know how he thinks at all. As time goes on, we'll learn more and maybe some pieces will fall into place.

They didn’t say it wasn’t sexually motivated - they said there was no sign of sexual assault. They’re very different things. Some sexually-motivated killers do not commit sex acts at the scene.
I will look for the link, but early on LE stated that they didn't believe this crime was sexually motivated based on forensics.

The case you linked to involved a situation where the remains of the missing person hadn't been found.

We don't know yet what evidence the police have on this guy - but given the circumstances of the crime, I'm guessing it's fairly substantial.

Not saying he is guaranteed to be convicted - but it doesn't seem like this is some 'knee jerk' arrest where they're hoping the case comes together after the fact.

Respectfully - I do not suggest that BK was charged hastily or improvidently: this is a red herring argument, a deflection or distraction from my point.

If you look into the Morphew case a bit, you will see that the DA dismissed the case due to judicial rulings suppressing evidence and excluding witnesses, and that the basis for those rulings was chronic failure to meet deadlines.

The Morphew case was hardly a "knee jerk" arrest, either. Morphew was arrested after a year of investigation by a team that included the local sheriff, the CBI, and the FBI. The case was circumstantial, but powerful nonetheless IMO if all the evidence were presented to a jury. If I go to bed and my driveway is dry, and observe in the morning that it is wet, my evidence for finding that it rained while I was asleep is circumstantial. But is there any reasonable doubt about that?

I don't know what the local Idaho prosecutor can bring to this case independent of outside help, but I hope it is sufficient. There is reason to be concerned IMO: How many years has it been since Moscow experienced a murder? Seven years? Did local prosecutors try the case? What was the result? Did it receive the kind of sensational press coverage BK is receiving? Are those prosecutors still working in Moscow?

My point remains that prosecuting a high-profile murder case using attorneys and staff who have no experience with such cases, and without the technology to organize the evidence or the time and expertise to evaluate whether to disclose it - and if so, when - carries a substantial risk of dismissal regardless of the evidence.

Hoping someone can respond with relevant information.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm just going to say it. <modsnip>. I don't think he left his blood or hair, I think he left something that was not his saliva. moo

That could be, but I'm leaning in a different direction.

He's off-the-wall-crazy but still like a fox. Given his line of study and prior history of being bullied, however, I tend to think he planned down to the detail. I think he lives for revenge.

I would not be surprised to find he planted something at the scene that would eventually lead them to him--but that he was prepared. His statement on being arrested--his immediate waiver of extradition. It all seems too planned.

And, just MOO of course, but I don't think LE's evidence is enough to convict this guy. It's not a slam dunk because they're still leaving doors open--saying they're still investigating and that they're still taking tips.

MOO, but I think whatever LE found was something he wanted them to find. And, I don't think it's enough to convict when he gets deeper into his game.

I pray I'm wrong.

Can Kohberger be tried separately for each murder, rather than all at once? If so, the prosecution would have more time to build individual cases and possibly consecutive sentences could be doled out in case the defense were to have some success at trial.
This is an interesting issue: Here is the Idaho Rule.

Idaho Criminal Rule 8. Joinder of Offenses and of Defendants

(a) Joinder of Offenses. Two or more offenses may be charged on the same complaint, indictment or information if the offenses charged, whether felonies or misdemeanors or both, are based on the same act or transaction or on two or more acts or transactions connected together or constituting parts of a common scheme or plan. The complaint, indictment or information must state a separate count for each offense.

The rule seems to make the decision to charge all the offenses in the same complaint optional for the DA. But there may be Constitutional issues that constrain that discretion. I don't know.

Demanding a speedy trial is the one defense strategy that has a chance to defeat a prosecution notwithstanding strong evidence.

You demand a speedy trial, knowing the case is still being investigated and put together. The deadlines for disclosure come up fast, and the prosecution misses them because it is under-resourced and maybe not competent to try a capital case due to lack of experience. You might find judges who have never tried a mass murder or any other case that received national press attention, and you hope for mistakes there, especially about venue change issues, due process issues, free press/fair trial issues, and so forth.

The strategy worked well recently in a Colorado case, People v Morphew.

I hope the local prosecutor can call on expert help organizing the evidence, meeting disclosure deadlines, and trying the case, just as investigators called on help from the FBI.

Good call.

I can see this happening with him. LE's not dealing with someone who doesn't know criminal law, after all.

I hope LE has (and keeps) their best people (and prosecutor) on this, because I have a sneaking feeling this guy could walk. MOO

Will we hear he applied for the police force but was rejected?

That's always a possibility, but I would be surprised. He's not the low-level thinker some police-academy-rejects are. His knowledge base was(is) way above typical LE.

Something must have drawn him to his line of study however, and I hope we find out.

All MOO.

I wonder if dad slept with one eye open, gun next to his bed and doors locked after picking him up.
No, dad was watching over his boy not relapsing again during long drive back home through many states. Thinking of it, BK’s addiction must have been very hard on parents, and rehabs are not cheap, either. JMO.

Didn't someone here post that her new used 2016 Range Rover Evoque was bought in Pullman WA? I think they said the license plate had the name of an auto dealer in Pullman.
Good question. I do not have an answer to that.
IMO, I think KG got herRange Rover in Couer D Alene, but perhaps there was another dealer in Pullman WA too.

That's always a possibility, but I would be surprised. He's not the low-level thinker some police-academy-rejects are. His knowledge base was(is) way above typical LE.
Something must have drawn him to his line of study however, and I hope we find out.

All MOO.

A move to detective might require criminal law quals

I thought the accused might be hopin to start high. Its not unheard of

Reactions: GRT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics