ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it arrogance though or heedlessness?

I thought this bit was interesting, start of the article
Giacalone said he could personally recall only one other murder investigation in recent years in which a criminology student turned out to be the prime suspect.

In 2010, John Jay College criminology student Gary McGurk pleaded guilty to manslaughter for tying his girlfriend to a bed and slashing her throat, then bashing her head in with a hammer—but not before wrapping her skull in Saran Wrap “so there would be no blood,” the 24-year-old said in court. The 24-year-old victim Michelle Lee, who had also gone to John Jay, was working as a criminologist for the NYPD at the time of her death.
so link brings me here

Ex-lover pleads guilty in slaying of NYPD employee

Gary McGurk, 24, killed Michelle Lee in an orgy of violence last April, carving her up with a knife and smashing her head in with a hammer, before burning her chest with an iron.

“I struck the victim Michelle Lee in the head with a hammer,” McGurk told Queens Supreme Court Justice Gregory Lasak

Lasak asked McGurk, who had an on-again-off-again relationship with Lee, what happened after the hammer attack.

“Your Honor, I positioned her on the bed. I took her cell phone with me when I left her apartment. I took the Saran Wrap [which had been wrapped around her head] so there would be no blood,” McGurk intoned.

“It was on her head before you struck her in the head,” Lasak asked.

“Yes, your honor.”

McGurk was prodded by his lawyer Chris Renfroe to make another admission that ADA Charles Testagrossa insisted on as part of the deal.

“I burned her with an iron, your honor,” McGurk said.

“Did you do anything else to her body?”

“I positioned a knife in her neck, your honor.”

!!!

Just 2010. Criminology student.
I really see that Kohberger had fallen through the cracks. Parents probably did know that he was teased to the extent reported. It seems that many people in the system failed him. A smart kid that is presently bullied and needs help to cope. Could no one have seen the Koberger needed help ?.I invited a universal outlet and process to identify children at risk.

And to brag to female undergrads about his PhD program, I’m sure.

Just a comment from personal experience...I have a PhD and used to work at a university as a researcher, not as a professor. I did teach a few classes through the years but mostly at community colleges. Many of these were university courses but offered on the CC campus and often most of my students were university students.

There are women at universities that are attracted to academics. They generally are not the 20 year old sorority girls. But there are plenty of the more studious women who would be attracted to a guy like BK and would overlook social awkwardness, because, honestly, many have the same awkwardness.

As a married guy in my 40s, I was propositioned on numerous occasions during my career by (mostly) young students usually in their early 20s. I never went for it but I can attest that it happens more often than people might suspect. It was obvious when the female students were just trying to sweet talk me into a better grade (which honestly was pretty rare). But the ones with a "fetish" for academics could be pretty direct and aggressive.

So I doubt BK would have had a lot of trouble finding someone in an academic environment even with his awkwardness. I think his problem likely was his interest in women who would not give him the time of day. I'm not a very good judge of the attractiveness of other men but BK does not strike me as repulsively unattractive or anything. He seems to have had at least one female genuine friend I would note.

I continue to think we are going to learn there is some connection between BK and one of the victims and that this was at some level about him being spurned (at least in his mind.) But I am rapidly coming to believe that there is a significant element of him wanting to commit the perfect crime, get away with it, and experience the emotions of killing someone.

I really see that Kohberger had fallen through the cracks. Parents probably did know that he was teased to the extent reported. It seems that many people in the system failed him. A smart kid that is presently bullied and needs help to cope. Could no one have seen the Koberger needed help ?.I invited a universal outlet and process to identify children at risk.
I'm not at all sure he was neglected in any way.
He appears to have a kind loving family.

WSU Criminal Justice department releases statement on arrest of student connected to Moscow murders​

WSU shared a statement on his arrest on Friday, thanking law enforcement for "working tirelessly to solve this crime."

Additionally, WSU has chosen to remove the contact information for graduate students of the CJC department, stating, "We removed the webpage containing the listing and contact information for graduate students in the CJC department. This decision was done to protect the privacy of our graduate students.

"We stand in sympathy with the families of the victims of this horrible crime and remain dedicated to the pursuit of justice."

Thank you, @KonaHonu for this link

I paid attention to the fact that Pennsylvanian own program is nr 9. Still, within 10 best programs. One would think that not relocating cross-country, to the state with lesser-known culture, would be a huge step while there is a program next door.

Of course, one has to match. Maybe that's what it was. However - it is just my personal question- I wonder if BK planned his "murders" and thought that having no connections whatever in that part of the US could help?

Something comes to mind about DNA, too. If you leave it at the spot (BK might have thought of such possibility, that it could happen) and LE gets it and runs through CODIS, given that BK's name is not uncommon in PA, there is a chance of a cousin match. Not so in Idaho or WA, I assume. Of course, there is Gedmatch and Parabon, but it takes time. I think that BK thought about DNA, and took precautions. It is just not that easy, to kill four people and not leave one of yourself at the place of crime.

Last edited:
Long time WebSleuths “listener”, first time “caller.” Anyone know if BK had a dog? This could explain (or be a convenient explanation for) a cross country drive for the holidays. Also might be a clue to explain Murphy’s safety.

IMO, BK is a predator. Being a predator, he may have lied in wait for his victim(s) alone in the house before anyone arrived home. He may have committed the murders in the nude so as not to leave any fibers behind or have to drive home blood soaked. He could have then washed up, dressed and left the residence. He may have, IMO left his car parked nearby and simply walked back to it and drove home. I'm sure the crime scene techs checked the drains for blood and trace evidence; maybe this is where they got his DNA?

Chiming in on the use of heroin. No one just starts using heroin. Other drugs and drinking starts first, by the time heroin Is used your already prone to addiction. Very few heroin addicts remain clean for a long period of time. Rehab is not a cure, it’s a recovery program that needs maintenance to remain clean. You don’t use or drink if you want to remain clean…..it just won’t work. IF he is an addict, he would not be drinking.
Possibly! I have been to rehab several times, and many of the friends I made there came in as heroin/meth addicts. They’re clean now from those, but they still drink — they don’t see it as a problem because it wasn’t “their” addiction.

Personally, I stay away from it all now — but not everyone does. Will be interested to learn more of his background!

Happy New Year, everyone, & stay safe!!

Long time WebSleuths “listener”, first time “caller.” Anyone know if BK had a dog? This could explain (or be a convenient explanation for) a cross country drive for the holidays. Also might be a clue to explain Murphy’s safety.
Brian Entin mentioned he heard dogs barking inside parents' house last night, as far as I remember,
Was on one of his lives, I think.

Everyone looking at the mugshot had different opinions of what they saw on his face. To me, I saw a cat-that-ate-the-canary look. As though he's trying not to smile. I feel there may be some plot twist coming!

Brian Entin mentioned he heard dogs barking inside parents' house last night, as far as I remember,
Was on one of his lives, I think.
might be this one

IMO, BK is a predator. Being a predator, he may have lied in wait for his victim(s) alone in the house before anyone arrived home. He may have committed the murders in the nude so as not to leave any fibers behind or have to drive home blood soaked. He could have then washed up, dressed and left the residence. He may have, IMO left his car parked nearby and simply walked back to it and drove home. I'm sure the crime scene techs checked the drains for blood and trace evidence; maybe this is where they got his DNA?
I was thinking about the DNA and I had an idea but don't know if it's feasible or not. When you put on gloves (which I'm assuming he did) one hand is bare when you put the first glove on, Then you use the gloved hand to put the other glove on and maybe even interlock the fingers to push the gloves into place. There would be skin cells, oils etc from the bare hand transferred to the first glove and from there to the other. I wonder if it's possible they got touch DNA from the slider and the bedroom doors/doorknobs?

ugh, evil exists and this is the definition. Hopefully the State of Idaho eliminates this stain on humanity. ...JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Eric