ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I quoted the article directly. It was first published other places that they were "in the Moscow community" but that narrative has since been revised, at least from what I can tell by this article and more recent public updates.

“In the Moscow community” is what I heard a speaker at the press conference today say.

Could this be blood? This pic is from The Daily Mail. I’ve looked at similar pics on other sites but I do not see the red mark. Maybe it was airbrushed out?
Thanks everyone for confirming there was a pic with a tracking dog soon after the murders. @Cedarsage, If it is blood this dog would've probably hit on it. It does look like a drop of blood, but same thing was noticed on the porch area and it was likely a bloom from a plant.

1669257765251.png

I quoted the article directly. It was first published other places that they were "in the Moscow community" but that narrative has since been revised, at least from what I can tell by this article and more recent public updates.
From Moscow PD's website (King Street Homicide | Moscow, ID):

Detectives believe that on November 12th, the two surviving roommates had also been out in the Moscow community, separately, but returned home by 1 a.m. on November 13th. The two did not wake up until later that morning.

Speaking of the coroner, I am puzzled, gobsmacked actually, that they didn’t have a medical examiner perform the autopsies. Mabbutt was an RN. Wouldn’t you think that when four students are brutally murdered that they’d bring in a top forensic person? Am I mistaken about who conducted the autopsies?

And the murders occurred in the early AM on November 13. Why weren’t autopsies done until 4 days later, November 17? Why the delay? Has this already been discussed here? So strange!! MOO

Spokane County ME did the autopsies.

Posted again(with link) ..Possible blood spotted. Other similar pictures I have seen do not show this spot so maybe it was airbrushed?

14C30FAE-8FD7-4024-9A1E-66F581F1A57C.jpeg

For the sake of transparency, the home was originally only what we call the ground floor or the areas where the two survivors were located on the bottom floor. For many years, the small ground floor remained until one owner added the back two units, all at once, to include both rooms with the sliding doors on the 2nd and 3rd floors, respectively.

That entire two level addition built onto or rather is attached to the original home; thereby extending the King Rd home into 6 bdrms. Killer learning the layout; takes about as long as it takes us.

Shifting topics: What was the trigger for the killer? Was it bc students would soon leave for the Holiday? Who was the killer so angry at and why?

What is the benefit found in the deaths of the four students? Who gained something as a result of this brutal attack upon life itself? i remain outraged.
If this is a psychopatic killer, or one with any number of personality disorders, there could be many answers to what motivated and triggered the killer and, for that matter, what benefit the killer gained as a result of the killing.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Let’s try to narrow down the murder weapon the best we can.

According to MPD websites:
  • Local businesses were contacted to determine if a fixed-blade knife had been recently purchased.”

What are the characteristic of a fixed-blade knife:

A fixed-blade knives have a blade that extends into the handle of the knife. The blade can be either full tang or partial tang, meaning that the blade can either extend the entire length of the handle or partially into the handle.

A fixed-blade knife is without folding mechanism. A kitchen knife is most commonly example of a fixed-blade.

Now let’s take a look at the coroner characteristic of the knife:

“Coroner says University of Idaho students were murdered with large knife”

“"They were all murdered from a stabbing through a larger knife," coroner Cathy Mabbutt told CBS News. “

<modsnip: Images removed due to no link to source>

Moscow police appear to be searching for a “Rambo”-style knife (store manager)

“Police have visited the store more than once to ask whether the retailer sold anyone Ka-Bar brand knives, which are also known as K bar knives.”

“Idaho State Police spokesperson Aaron Snell told the Statesman on Thursday that detectives visited several local hardware stores that may carry “fixed-blade type knives,” but that they weren’t solely asking about Ka-Bar knives.”
We can only surmise that K-Bar (fixed-blade) have the closest characteristics of the murder weapon.

So it appears that the murder weapon has the following characteristics:

- Fixed-blade
- Large
- Rambo style knife (as per store manager)
- Could be a Kbar brand

An example of a large fixed-blade knives:
There are various fixed-blade style, Bowie have the similar features to the murder weapon described by the coroner (large) and the store manager (Rambo style) or combat type of knife.

Bowie Style Fixed Blade - Bowie Knives are large knives, usually worn on a leather/ sheath.

Fixed-Blade brand:

- The KA-BAR brand designed the Becker BK-9 (they have this one in Amazon 9 inch blade for $130)

- Buck Knives 119 Special 6 inch (this one is a little cheaper $69) this is not Ka-Bar brand.

- Tactical Bowie Survival Hunting Rambo Bushcraft Knife with Kydex Sheath Military Combat Fixed Blade, with Non-Slip Handle, for Camping, Hunting, and Adventure, 12.2 this is the cheapest knife out of the 3, it’s $21.44 and it’s the biggest 12.2 inch

“Idaho State Police told the Statesman on Thursday that detectives visited several local hardware stores that may carry “fixed-blade type knives,” but that they weren’t solely asking about Ka-Bar knives.”

I am leaning towards the cheapest knifes with the biggest blades. But we shall see.

Just knowing the characteristic of the murder weapon may help aid the investigation. The killer friends, acquaintances or a family member May remember him carrying this weapon.
What about looking at business that use fixed blade knives? I.E butcher shops or a deli, etc

Thanks everyone for confirming there was a pic with a tracking dog soon after the murders. @Cedarsage, If it is blood this dog would've probably hit on it. It does look like a drop of blood, but same thing was noticed on the porch area and it was likely a bloom from a plant.

View attachment 382245
What caught my eye is when you zoom in the red spot looks like it’s streaming down the brick.

Posted again(with link) ..Possible blood spotted. Other similar pictures I have seen do not show this spot so maybe it was airbrushed?

View attachment 382249
It does not look like blood to me. Looks like just a red piece of paper of fabric. It has a part above the brick.

The only thing I can think of regarding the risk is that he either knew they would be asleep or knew that he could handle whatever circumstance arose. The latter is why I'm led to believe that this is someone who knows how to kill people.
I think you are likely right that barring some way of knowing they were all asleep he may have prepared for multiple circumstances and therefore wasn't too concerned. To that effect my guess is that his weapon of choice is a knife but he likely had a gun and other items (perhaps shoe covers, plastic bag, gloves, backup knife maybe even a tactical backpack to stash his bloody clothes etc.)

I am not critical of the Moscow, ID police force. The last murder there was in 2015. It sounded like, from the presser today, that while they secured the "immediate" crime scene, when the FBI got there, they expanded the scene to the yard, and surrounding areas. I don't think that Moscow, ID police even thought about that, immediately, to secure the rest of the vicinity, not just the actual site of the crime.

So, who knows what evidence could have been destroyed or overlooked?

Not really their fault. I have something I do at my job, every 2 or 3 years...I have to check out how to do it every time.

Dbm, original post reinstated. Apologies.

Last edited:
I think the killer might have waited if he were outside. Some posters have suggested that he may have already been inside, laying in wait.

It really would be interesting to know if he waited outside before they came home, somehow crossed one of the pairs’ paths and followed them there and waited until they went to sleep, or broke in after they went to sleep?

I think this could be answered with the forensics:

I think if there was any indication of him latching on to the surviving roommate’s doors — he knew the layout better (past guest, stalking them online, etc…) and was probably waiting for them to come home… if he did not seem to forensically go downstairs (blood trail, hand grip on the door, latent blood anywhere on the downstairs walls, railings) then I think he did not know the other two existed— which would maybe mean he followed a pair home and broke in after he watched all the lights go out?

*It’s still possible the roommate’s locked their doors when they got home earlier, or we don’t know if they heard something and locked their doors, or not. Obviously, this information is crucial to know if he did or did not go downstairs to try to get the survivors.

If he had not, then it’s very possible he targeted one of the pairs while they were out. I still think if he knew or stalked any of them online, he would’ve known about the other two roommates. It’s very odd that they were left untouched. That makes me think that it was a random, targeted event. Of course this is all supposition but, I don’t think this person seems to be in the business of leaving people alive. I truly don’t think he had a clue they were there and I would think he would know that if he had any type of familiarity with them previously. Or was watching the house more than following a pair of them home.

Hi all, just catching up after the presser earlier today-- and a particular statement about what's missing, or not seen, at the house has been festering. Here's a perhaps...

What's "missing" at the scene is an occupant for the empty bedroom on the 2nd floor. Is it possible they were all in the process of finding a new roommate? Or maybe even two, since K was relocating and a 3rd floor bedroom was also becoming available. This activity would span the entirety of the month, I imagine. I would also involve new people coming by and checking over the property. (I hope LE is considering this angle.)

My gut has made me feel K's departure, relocation, and exit from the immediate circle of friends may have been a trigger for someone, but today's presser statement underscored the probability that there were personal selections/rejections being sifted through by this entire group of friends.

Is there someone out there who may be feeling betrayed, disgruntled, and at the end of a housing tether?

JMO

There are a lot of posts questioning how the two surviving girls didn't hear anything. How could they have slept thru this attack? Clearly it does pose questions, but I feel that there are possible reasons for this. One, we don't know how much noise was actually made. We assume that it would have been chaotic and extremely loud, but if the killer or killers somehow were able to muffle the screams, maybe with a pillow or something it might not have been as loud as one would think. Two, we don't know the state the two survivors were in. Had they been drinking and basically passed out in bed? Three, it had been said that this was sort of a party house, with a lot of people coming and going, and it may have not been unusual for loud noises at all hours.
In all reality we really don't know what those two girls heard or didn't hear.(or what they told LE) So while it would seem that an attack like this would be loud, we don't know enough about what exactly happened or how it happened to be able to figure that part out.

Last sec addition : What if the killer or killers used something to knock the victims out such as chloroform or something similar before killing them?

Last edited:

The toxicology results on the four University of Idaho students viciously butchered with a Rambo-style knife last week may hold vital crime-solving clues to determine if the coeds were drugged or under the influence...

[...]

Renowned forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden tells RadarOnline.com the toxicology report could help investigators determine the victims’ state of the mind at the time of the slaying and determine if they were knocked out by date-rape type of drug.

“If they were drugged that would be found in the toxicology,” Baden said. “If they had recreational levels of marijuana and stuff that would support what they were doing that evening while partying – if there was some drug at a lethal level or something that would make them unconscious – that would certainly be important for the police to consider.”...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cassie1678