ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would really like to know how the killer got in the house. This crime hinged on the perpetrator not being heard at any time before he was right next to his victim. Can't break glass, can't bust down a door etc, because that would cause an immediate call to 911. Whomever this was serial killer, stalker, jilted college student etc, they would have to have spent time casing out the place and knowing how to enter silently.. not quietly... silently. MOO that means the suspect was around this house often even if from a distance. Did he do a dry run where he just entered and then left to see if he could get in?

It is MOO but this tragedy will probably change the easy access to college houses and apartments. Keeping exterior doors locked needs to be the first line of protection against something like this ever happening again.
In addition to the dog - something else that bothers me about the time shortly before the crime occured- Are all the frantic phone calls k and M made before 3 am- makes me wonder - was something suspicious going on outside/ inside the residence? What triggered that flurry of calls? also IF something suspicious was going on- why did they reach out to the xbf rather than LE?

The only thing I can think of is that they are trying to protect their identities by creating a media blackout. The thing about that is it is probably common knowledge among the community who lived there so it would not be difficult for a reporter to uncover who they are.

I am curious how long the media is going to play along with the police's attempt to keep this quiet.

Their names and photographs are already out there on MSM. Let’s hope that they’re strong enough to continue stonewalling the media.

I don’t think that the media IS ‘playing along.’ I think that some people are simply being wise enough to not play along with the media. At least, I hope so!

They're alive, they can make choices that their deceased roommates cannot.

They may be getting advice from parents, LE or lawyers, or likely they are exceedingly traumatized and don't want to speak in public. They're probably still in shock and processing that this is real.

IMO
I can understand all of that but they are involved in this. Details about them matter. The killer could be someone they brought home in the past.

MOO....

Yes and no. They have a right to not be harassed but they also have a civic duty. This crime does not only affect them. It has impacted the entire community and really much of the nation. They may not want to be public figures but by circumstance they are. Like it or not.
I would say this will very very much affect them....and I would also think they have answered all of LE''s questions and have helped as far as they can

but WE, the public, do not have the right to know the ins and outs of what these girls were doing that night if they choose not to put that information 'out there'. Does 'civic duty' in the U.S extend to this lack of privacy some are calling for? There appears to be an ever present hunger for all the details in cases like these

Seems like this is a ruthless serial killer who kills for the sake of killing. This person probably gets off on it. Attacks in the middle of the night when people are sleeping. I have no doubt that these other stabbings In the PW are related. Just too many things that are similar.

Normally if there is a home invasion there is something in the home that the criminal wants. This seems like it is totally different. This person just wants to kill and probably isn't interested in stealing anything.

I also don't think this person goes to Idaho or even lives in the area. Like someone else mentioned he may be a truck driver or traveling contractor and is passing through or working in the area. LE is probably looking in at that. Perhaps look at the people who stayed in the local hotels or airbnb's.
I respectfully disagree. I believe LE when they said this was a personal attack. So many people suspected an out of town serial killer in the Delphi case and base on the arrest it appears that it was a local. If indeed a SK then why target this house in particular? why not a sorority house? or one of the many other off campus houses? like Delphi was there a social media connection? Also, it is hard to believe that Kaylee being home for just that weekend is a coincidence. MOO but whomever did this was particularly angry/jealous of her.

Okay, throwing my two cents in where Murphy is concerned, lol.

I have read many suggestions of the dog being lost outdoors, and it seems to me that this supposition was spawned from K and M's flurry of phone calls in those wee hours to K's ex, and co-owner of the pup. However, my mind shifted away from that idea when I watched the interview with K's siblings and father. Her sister admitted that K made phone calls about any number of inane things regardless of the hour, IOW, not necessarily an emergency or even an alarm, this was standard K behavior.

I think it's highly probable Murphy was crated in the spare room, behind a closed door, with food, water, and pee pads. The entire household was out that night-- the pup needed to be accommodated for a stretch of being alone. It was a busy place, the pooch didn't live there full time, and the lack of barking was either him being conditioned to the unexpected, puppy cowardice, or maybe just soundly asleep in a safe bed.

The police probably "located" him in the empty bedroom. No biggie.

MOO
This seems very plausible.

I’ve also wondered if it was someone they knew, that the dog was familiar with, then the dog may not have reacted if he wasn’t aware of the violence. Maybe they gave him a treat to distract.

I can understand all of that but they are involved in this. Details about them matter. The killer could be someone they brought home in the past.
yes, the details matter....to the investigators, not the public. If it was my daughter here I would be fully protecting her from the media circus

She wouldn't have taken on new student loans after December of this year if she was graduating, unless she planned to go on to graduate school, which she wasn't doing at this time. We know that she was starting a new job in Texas in February.

Student loans are administered by the college or university that a student attends, and they are dispersed after tuition and fees are deducted. If a student drops out of college or university, then the college or university notifies the lender. It is all tracked very well.
Not all college students have loans, we as her parents paid for our daughters tuition

LE has said they have no suspects or POI's at this time. I don't think they will know if there was DNA belonging to an unknown person at the crime scene until the lab work comes back. Imo
I do not believe LE has said they have no suspects at this time. I understood them to say they have no suspects *in custody* at this time.

I've never seen a police log. I do note the discrepancy of the updated report on the Moscow, Idaho website which now reads:
" On the morning of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence. The dog was unharmed and turned over to Animal Services and then released to a responsible party."

I just don't understand turning the dog over to Animal Services if you know where the dog lived and who owns the dog (the ex-boyfriend.) If you don't know the owner and he doesn't have a collar, that's one thing. Or a disgruntled neighbor sending the dog away to try and instill responsible dog ownership principles is understandable (rude.)

But for the police to confiscate the dog from his home and turn him over to Animal Services.... why?

The dog was turned over to Animal Control. Per Moscow City website, falls under Code Enforcement under Moscow Police Dept.

I would think SOP would be to turn over to Animal control, as they stated happened. Animal Control would assists in evidence collected injunction with investigators, evidence recorded and tagged and establish a chain of custody. Only after the legal owner is determine would LE release the dog.

I just can't figure out what impact the dog has on the case? I imagine, IF the dog had blood or DNA it would be "licked" off by noon. We all know dogs are constantly licking body parts. :)

The dog could have been crated for the night, escaped when intruder entered or asleep in another part of the house.

All my opinion

CODE ENFORCEMENT​

Our Code Enforcement Officer's responsibilities focus on animal care and control with an emphasis on City of Moscow Code violations pertaining to dogs. The department continues to work in partnership with the Humane Society of the Palouse through a personal services agreement. Code Enforcement also responds to complaints of junk vehicles, snow on sidewalks, noxious weeds, sight obstructions and found bicycles.

1. Gary Stedman​

Code Enforcement
    Email Gary Stedman
    Phone: 208-883-7070
    More Information
  2. Police Department​

Physical Address
    155 Southview
    Moscow, ID 83843
    Phone: 208-883-7054
    Emergency: 911

But if the DNA was related to other muders in the PNW, particularly the unsolved stabbings, then that would be significant. MOO
Do we even know if the perp's DNA was collected from these other cases?

In addition to the dog - something else that bothers me about the time shortly before the crime occured- Are all the frantic phone calls k and M made before 3 am- makes me wonder - was something suspicious going on outside/ inside the residence? What triggered that flurry of calls? also IF something suspicious was going on- why did they reach out to the xbf rather than LE?
Hmmm you kinda answered your own question there. Maybe they didn't call LE because they weren't making 'frantic calls', they were possibly drunk dialling.

Dog gets loose. <modsnip> people may not want to put in effort. Dog disrupts disgruntled neighbor and he grabs his knife to return the dog. He yells at kids to come get the dog. <modsnip> kids tell him the code and ask him to let the dog in. He loses his mind and goes on a rampage. Anything is possible because LE is releasing nothing.
I’m not thinking anything is probable
Neighbors and other roommates would know if there was a disgruntled neighbor
Knife grabbed at his own home would be premeditated- knife grabbed in the house of victims would be a kitchen knife- If the girls have a hunting knife missing then LE would not be searching stores for a recent purchase.
Yelling at kids would draw attention at 3AM, and could wake the sleeping
Why would one of the six not simply open the door to let the dog inside? These were students who worked while going to school, <modsnip>
If neighbor came into the front door using code- surviving roommates would know as their rooms are the closest to that door.
Rampaging neighbor would then have to accomplish the killing of four people without waking up the other two- and get out of the house- in bloody clothing, with the weapon, and get home without anyone noticing
Sure it is possible, but not probable
JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
MOO....I'm leaning toward serial killer. I believe LE walked back the statement community was safe, after hearing from other LE agencies. LE noted in last presser ...other dept have reached out to us, when questioned about connections to the Washington couple. FBI brought in highly skilled professions quickly in this case.

All in small towns, young adults, all asleep, all at 3am, all on the 13th. This is a pattern, more than coincidence.

Here is another case, although 2k away, same MO...3am,13th, asleep, unsolved.

Charleston Police are searching for the person responsible for stabbing someone while they slept.
They say it happened before 3 a.m. on June 13, 2021, in the 1500 block of Edgar Drive.
whoa. I would say that the 3am thing may not be as significant. I recently had an bathroom vanity in a box stolen from my porch...at 3am. It's the perfect hour to commit crimes. Up until 2am, people who club/party/drink may just be getting home. Starting at about 5am early birds are up to go to work, run/exercise, walk the dog. I bet there are some statistics somewhere that show "late night" crimes may mostly occur during the hours of 2:30am-4am...just a hunch.

HOWEVER, the stabbing, while sleeping and ON THE 13TH....those are some slim odds. Interesting.

Hmmm you kinda answered your own question there. Maybe they didn't call LE because they weren't making 'frantic calls', they were possibly drunk dialling.
Exactly …that is def a possibility IMO. Wonder if they sent texts in addition to the calls too

Apoligies if this has already been posted. I heard on radio news this morning( Fox news), that one of the victims parents was told by police that one particular victim was targeted. LE did not say which one it was.
Did anyone else hear this reported?

Their names and photographs are already out there on MSM. Let’s hope that they’re strong enough to continue stonewalling the media.

I don’t think that the media IS ‘playing along.’ I think that some people are simply being wise enough to not play along with the media. At least, I hope so!
Imo...

The media has been compliant with the police's requests. They have not been nearly as aggressive as they often are about digging up details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member