ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some similarities. I'm interested in what the FBI's profiler thinks of these two cases.

It seems that they are also looking at other possibly similar cases, besides the Oregon one.

"In a press conference on Wednesday, Moscow Police Chief James Fry was asked about a potential link between the two cases.

He confirmed that the Oregon killing is on their radar in Idaho and that investigators are probing a possible tie.

“We’re looking at every avenue and we have other agencies reaching out to us with other cases and stuff that we are going to follow up on,” he said, adding that authorities are “looking into any possible connection”. "

Mother of murdered Oregon man speaks out after police reveal possible link to Idaho student slayings

It's not inconceivable, but MOO, it's much more likely that the killer wore gloves and locked the door on the way out. No risk of spreading DNA.
I can see wearing gloves, but why lock a door? Every additional 'activity' within the residence means more time spent there and therefore more time in which the perp could be caught by whatever unenvisaged circumstances

I would really like to hear a professional serial killer profiler look at the possible connection of these three unsolved stabbings in the Pacific Northwest. All three occurred on the 13th of the month:

Washougal, WA—Sandra Ladd June 13, 2020 stabbed in torso

Salem, OR —Travis and Jamilyn Juetten were awakened from their sleep around 3:00 a.m. on Aug. 13, 2021, to an unknown assailant attacking them with a knife.

Moscow, ID— Quadruple homicide with fixed-blade knife Ethan Chapin, Xana Kernodle, Madison Mogen, and Kaylee Goncalves Nov. 13, 2022

Last edited:
I can see wearing gloves, but why lock a door? Every additional 'activity' within the residence means more time spent there and therefore more time in which the perp could be caught by whatever unenvisaged circumstances
Takes less than a second to thumb-lock a door on your way out. Then again, if you should have happened to drop something in the room, like say... oh maybe... a knife sheath... you just locked yourself out.

Last edited:
I would really like to hear a professional serial killer profiler look at the possible connection of these three unsolved stabbings in the Pacific Northwest. All three occurred on the 13th of the month:

Salem, OR —Travis and Jamilyn Juetten were awakened from their sleep around 3:00 a.m. on Aug. 13, 2021, to an unknown assailant attacking them with a knife.

Moscow, ID— Quadruple homicide with fox-blade knife Ethan Chapin, Xana Kernodle, Madison Mogen, and Kaylee Goncalves Nov. 13, 2022
It's certainly interesting given the dates and the general time of the attacks. I'd imagine LE will be looking into any connection anywhere in a sensible geographical area.

Since this was posted right before the previous thread was closed, I'll post again so people can reply.
BTW..this may have already been posted earlier and I missed it.

Idaho student murders may be linked to stabbing a year earlier and 400 miles away, police reveal

In the last thread, @rahod1 put up this post.

Here is a little more info about why the police are looking at similarities between the two cases .......

"Both unsolved cases involved a suspect armed with a knife breaking into a home at around 3am and attacking victims while they slept in their beds.

Both murders took place on the 13th of the month.

Also in both cases, other people were home at the time of the killings and were left unharmed."

Mother of murdered Oregon man speaks out after police reveal possible link to Idaho student slayings
BBM - Does it say anywhere that LE themselves have come out and said they are directly linking these specific “similarities” that have been listed - in the Oregon case - to the Idaho murders, or is it journalistic sensationalism at its finest? I know LE have said they’re looking in to a possible link, but as far as I’ve seen they aren’t looking in to it because of this and that specifically. I think I’ll wait to hear from LE about this and hopefully they’ll go in to more detail of why they actually think there could be a link, besides it also just being an unsolved stabbing JMO.

BBM - Does it say anywhere that LE themselves have come out and said they are directly linking these specific “similarities” that have been listed - in the Oregon case - to the Idaho murders, or is it journalistic sensationalism at its finest? I know LE have said they’re looking in to a possible link, but as far as I’ve seen they aren’t looking in to it because of this and that specifically. I think I’ll wait to hear from LE about this and hopefully they’ll go in to more detail of why they actually think there could be a link, besides it also just being an unsolved stabbing JMO.

At this time there has not been a report, to my knowledge, officially linking the events. The appropriate path is the one being communicated, which is that there is no tip too small and that all leads will be investigated.

It is tempting to see patterns, even where none may truly exist. If they are not related, the consequence is of course that we have multiple dangerous individuals interested in the same type of crime and with the capacity to carry it out. Please be careful out there.

In the last thread, @rahod1 put up this post.

Here is a little more info about why the police are looking at similarities between the two cases .......

"Both unsolved cases involved a suspect armed with a knife breaking into a home at around 3am and attacking victims while they slept in their beds.

Both murders took place on the 13th of the month.

Also in both cases, other people were home at the time of the killings and were left unharmed."

That makes me wonder if they like the thought of someone finding the victims that way

Moscow, ID— Quadruple homicide with fox-blade knife Ethan Chapin, Xana Kernodle, Madison Mogen, and Kaylee Goncalves Nov. 13, 2022
Maybe the weird 3am time frame for the quad is because they were already comparing these two cases

i still think the creep didn't know the basement was a room where people sleep only reason why two were not killed. probably came in the sliding doors on second floor since the house is built into the side of the hill. Thinking it's a creepy neighbor or creep next street over maybe even someone's friend that came to visit a person that lived in that neighborhood

At this time there has not been a report, to my knowledge, officially linking the events. The appropriate path is the one being communicated, which is that there is no tip too small and that all leads will be investigated.

It is tempting to see patterns, even where none may truly exist. If they are not related, the consequence is of course that we have multiple dangerous individuals interested in the same type of crime and with the capacity to carry it out. Please be careful out there.
Agreed. I just think we should be very cautious about over sensationalising this until LE themselves have investigated properly and throughly, and informed the public further. I would hate for other families to get their hopes up and have them shattered (the Oregon case is a year old and there have been little to no answers, it would be so easy for this family to work themselves up over this just because of some similar dates and times) because it was made out to possibly be something huge, but it turned out not to be. I hope there will be answers for all of these families. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000