ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would really like to hear a professional serial killer profiler look at the possible connection of these three unsolved stabbings in the Pacific Northwest. All three occurred on the 13th of the month:

Washougal, WA—Sandra Ladd June 13, 2020 stabbed in torso

Salem, OR —Travis and Jamilyn Juetten were awakened from their sleep around 3:00 a.m. on Aug. 13, 2021, to an unknown assailant attacking them with a knife.

Moscow, ID— Quadruple homicide with fixed-blade knife Ethan Chapin, Xana Kernodle, Madison Mogen, and Kaylee Goncalves Nov. 13, 2022
This is interesting. The states are close to each other and one can map a trail from one to the others. Also, in the pattern of escalation - one victim, then two, then four. I heard a profiler interviewed this week that said this seems like the kind of perp who has done this before.

How could KG afford a Range Rover and a planned trip to Europe after graduation?

Potentially with salary from nice job in TX with no state taxes, no other debt from credit cards, family graduation money, small trust fund from grandparents, saving from waitressing, no school debt, Europe isn't that expensive... long list of possible answers.

I think the car is another benign aspect to this whole thing. Some pictures of the scene including the car showed a temporary plate from a used car dealer. I don't think she bought it from a private seller. It's also a 6 or 7 year old Evoque (low end Land Rover model). It's completely plausible to me that she bought the car with part of a signing bonus, savings, and whatever money she got selling an old car. At most, maybe the car was a symbol of K's relative success and moving on to a new portion of life which may have, motivated the killer to act when he did (before K left the area for good)

More on dog, from Sherlock Holmes.

Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): “Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?”

Holmes: “To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.”

Gregory: “The dog did nothing in the night-time.”

Holmes: “That was the curious incident.”

This is why I am very curious about the whereabouts of the dog. In this case not so much his barking as whether he was in the home or not when M&K arrived home.

Not to mention LE has specifically said all victims were found in their beds
CBS News:

Of the four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed to death in a rental house last Sunday, some were killed in their beds, the Latah County coroner told CBS News Friday.

Coroner Cathy Mabbutt would not provide any further details. She noted, however, that earlier media reports stating all four victims had been murdered in their beds were not accurate.

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread how wrong the FBI profilers were about the unabomber. Not that that case is remotely similar but it provided a significant learning opportunity for LE that seems to have been forgotten. At the time the FBI did NOT want to release the manifesto because they were concerned it could compromise their investigation. I'll remind you that they had been investigating for almost 20 years while people everywhere lived in fear and universities spent lots of money taking extra precautions. Ultimately the Director and the Attorney General decided to release it because they were getting nowhere.

Once they took the risk of compromising the investigation and released the manifesto to the public, the unabomber was caught very quickly after the bomber's brother recognized his handwriting and writing patterns.

I really think the police need to release more details in this investigation. They seem to be taking the position that the public does not need to know anything and can't help. Yet they don't know that. They have said publicly that they have 103 pieces of evidence. Frankly, that tells me they have nothing. That may seem like a lot but it's really nothing. Releasing more details could jog someone's memory or spur discussion that leads somewhere.

Last edited:
I am still curious about dog. Moscow Police have said
  • On the night of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence. The dog was unharmed, turned over to Animal Services, and later released to a responsible party

I believe I saw that this was possibly changed to “morning” from “night” later. But I have not seen anything that says the police have determined that the dog definitely WAS IN THE HOUSE when the murders occurred. I have seen posts in past threads (that I can no longer reply to) that say it has been determined dog was at house (implying at time of murder). If anyone has a link to authoritative statement on whether dog was in house (such as found in a crate) I would appreciate it. I did read the police press
snipped ^^

I have so many questions about the dog! Someone here on WS commented about the unusual wording of (paraphrasing) 'a dog was located at the home...' or something like that. I can't imagine coming in and my dog not greeting me at the door...or me not checking to see who he was sleeping with....and not waking up the entire house and certainly contacting the CO-OWNER I shared custody with if I didn't find my dog within minutes of arriving home.

Post in thread 'ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11' ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

I don't know if this is easy to read, however, the MPD SHOULD IN MY OPINION, document every stop, every contact if they aren't.

I see "no report " on many calls for service. I hope to high heaven, every contact with or stop of a civilian they document it and that individual's information.

It is good for the uniform officers to CYA and the department CID can decide if a follow up is necessary

This is interesting. The states are close to each other and one can map a trail from one to the others. Also, in the pattern of escalation - one victim, then two, then four. I heard a profiler interviewed this week that said this seems like the kind of perp who has done this before.

General rule is that first murder is closest to home, familiar hunting grounds as it were, but there's really not much close to Washougal and 14, but lots of woods for watching. IF the killer were close to Washougal, then it might make sense. I'm not sold on that one being linked; need to know more.

Silverton,OR has a population of 651 people, but it's only 25 minutes from Salem. Moscow is a leap from there, not just in distance, but in roads. 12 and 95 are a lot of not much. IF these are linked, then this is someone who really knows the PNW or has relocated to somewhere closer to Moscow. If the killer were traveling eastbound through WA, here is where you can look at the roads in and out. https://wsdot.com/travel/real-time/mountainpasses/white

snipped ^^

I have so many questions about the dog! Someone here on WS commented about the unusual wording of (paraphrasing) 'a dog was located at the home...' or something like that. I can't imagine coming in and my dog not greeting me at the door...or me not checking to see who he was sleeping with....and not waking up the entire house and certainly contacting the CO-OWNER I shared custody with if I didn't find my dog within minutes of arriving home.

That was me, I believe. Does anyone have a link to the post where LE changed finding Murphy in the morning vs. night?

This was my post below, and I still have the same questions if LE found Murphy on the night of the incident.

From the City Of Moscow Police Department's Facebook post on 11/21...

"On the night of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence. The dog was unharmed and turned over to Animal Services and then released to a responsible party."

I have questions regarding this statement:

1. Is LE referring to the "night of the incident" as the early morning hours of Sunday, November 13th, close to when the incident occurred, or are they referring to the evening of Sunday, November 13th?

2. If LE located Murphy (KG and J's Dog) at the residence in the early morning hours of Sunday, November 13th, this would mean that someone reported or found Murphy, and the murders had already occurred. Unknowingly to LE, they turned Murphy over to Animal Services, and AS eventually released Murphy to J. This scenario is more probable than the latter.

3. If LE located Murphy at the residence on the evening of Sunday, November 13th, this would mean that LE found Murphy around the residence during their investigation.

Last edited:
Post in thread 'ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11' ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

I don't know if this is easy to read, however, the MPD SHOULD IN MY OPINION, document every stop, every contact if they aren't.

I see "no report " on many calls for service. I hope to high heaven, every contact with or stop of a civilian they document it and that individual's information.

It is good for the uniform officers to CYA and the department CID can decide if a follow up is necessary
Field notes are done for every contact; reports are for criminal offenses. At least, that’s how it works here in Moscow. Don’t know about other jurisdictions. Moo

Reports

I think Murphy was waiting in the yard when everyone woke up the next morning. If not he would have walked through evidence when perp walked from one bedroom to the other. And if he had been out when girls got home, they would have looked for him, not gone to bed. imo.

Therefore...perp let him out. imo

Which then reminds me, did perp clean up in each bedroom. Not if he woke anyone up, so no time to clean up between murders. Then he might have cleaned up between bedrooms after the murders, locked the doors, then left. ??? 30 minute cleanup? or more? He must have left with large bag of clothes and cleanup stuff.

Maybe, but the article says that Thompson is there every day.
Since it is usually the prosecutor who decides when there is enough evidence to charge someone, I can see why he would want to be hands-on present for all evaluations.

Sign of a good, hard-working prosecutor.
This. I think it’s imperative the prosecutor be kept in the loop and on the “front line” as much as possible here IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kr1230