ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been a sorority girl with a lot of roommates, I imagine that everyone slept as late as they could manage. One of the survivors thinks it's weird that she's the first one up, checks on non-survivors, clearly sees that something is horribly wrong (might even go into shock), calls friend not in the house who tells her to call the police/ambulance. This chaos wakes the other survivor, who also looks at situation and has similar reaction, so dispatcher ends up talking to more than one person.
It seems like the 2 girls only observed 1 dead girl From what I understand ?

On November 13th, the surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call requested aid for an unconscious person. The call was made from one of the surviving roommates’ cell phones inside the residence. Multiple people talked with the 911 dispatcher before Moscow Police arrived at the location. Officers entered the residence and found two victims on the second floor and two victims on the third floor.

This is the first time I've seen the chain of events for the morning of the 13th laid out officially like this and it's sort of making my head spin. Like others I wrote off the "unconscious person" report in the beginning, thinking that was simply the phrasing of the 911 operator, but after reading the newest presser it seems to have been more than that.

I don't understand how there could have been that much uncertainty and back-and-forth about whether someone was "passed out" when it's been confirmed (also in the above link) that ALL the victims had MULTIPLE stab wounds. Did anyone even see the bodies before LE got there? As unlikely as it seems I'm starting to wonder if the killer DID somehow lock the bedroom doors behind him or the victims were otherwise hidden from view. Perhaps- as someone here suggested previously- there was an alarm going off in one of the bedrooms continuously and that alerted the survivors' that something was wrong, rather than discovering one of the bodies?

To be clear, I do NOT think the surviving roommates were involved in any way and am not insinuating such at all. Please snip/delete my post if it comes off that way because I really feel for those girls and am dismayed by how their names & faces have been made so public!
My questions are more about how the killer could possibly have left the scene (location of bodies etc..) that whether the victims were alive or not seems to have been up for such debate. I feel like I've not made myself super clear (it's so early!) but did anyone else think similarly after reading that?
Super Clear to me! I agree the 911 call for assistance with an unconcious person when there are four housemates in close proximity dead with multiple stab wounds is confusing, the only possible explanation is that the perp locked K+M + E+X in their rooms so thier bodies were only accessed when the police arrived!

Super Clear to me! I agree the 911 call for assistance with an unconcious person when there are four housemates in close proximity dead with multiple stab wounds is confusing, the only possible explanation is that the perp locked K+M + E+X in their rooms so thier bodies were only accessed when the police arrived!
That’s what I keep thinking. Except the fact they won’t release 911 call.

Why is it that on the "non-suspects" list they are vague and do not specify which of the males at the Grub Truck is not a suspect?

It just says Male in the Grub Truck video. There were obviously two males there with whom they distinctly interacted, one engaging them in conversation and the other saying he was making sure the girls got home safely. One of these guys admitted to be interviewed by police. We've heard nothing about the other one.
We’ve heard about one other guy- brown cap and brown jacket, JV has come out and done an interview that is in writing- not on a video.
He describes being at the bar with the girls before going to get food.
I‘ve fallen into the rabbit hole with this case- read everything I can get my hands on- I think it is Daily Mail where he was interviewed, that source has been posted. Finding things here is a nightmare- maybe it is in the media thread?

Last edited:
We don’t technically know the roommates found anybody with blood. One discussion has been bedrooms were locked and roommates couldn’t get in. Banging on doors, dog barking, calling phones with no answer. Therefore called friend(s) to say something weird is going on. Then called 911.
Really Good Hypothesis!

Speculation-- Did the killer plan to kill 4 people or did it just develop that way? Your target is on the 3rd floor. You break into the 2nd floor, and have to kill the people on that floor because you don't want them to wake and trap you on the 3rd floor. You find your target on the 3rd floor, but another girl is next to her, so you have to kill her too. One of the many scenarios my mind is cranking out as I go insane trying to imagine how this went down.
Like all of us, I keep trying to work out in my head different scenarios of how this all played out, (and the motive behind the attacks). My thought was that if you had been watching for your target to get home, and it was either m or K, I think you would make your way directly to the third floor when all the lights in the house went out and everyone had settled down. You brought your knife so you could do a silent killing. You kill both girls on that floor either because they were in the same room or because one had been influential in having the other reject, diss, humiliate or otherwise embarrass you. You are making your way downstairs to leave when Ethan or Xana emerges from their bedroom, not necessarily because they heard a noise, but they wanted a drink of water or a snack from the kitchen or needed to use the bathroom. Surprised, he or she senses the danger and turns back into the bedroom they shared where they are accosted and killed. If one was sleeping when the other got up, it may explain how the Killer was able to overpower and kill the one who got up before the second one came fully awake.
Just one of many theories in my head. It is all just a guessing game until we get more info to work with.

Last edited:
Hate to say I’m thinking about the dog but I am. Because they have been kind of consistent of the dog being located the NIGHT of the incident and turned over to animal control. The police were not there the NIGHT of the incident-they were called near noon so either dog was out and about on the 12th or it was located the night of the 13th. I’m starting to think it was the 12th because if it took them until the night of the 13th to locate the dog that’s an issue. Dog was hanging out in animal shelter from the 12th to the 13th. (are there records for that?). The shelter may have called owners and jack picked up dog and that’s why m & k were calling or she was calling to tell him animal control had dog. Either way-dog was not there when murders occurred. Could have gotten out when roommates left or maybe when perp entered the house earlier in the evening though I’m not sure if he actually did go in earlier

Maybe they didn’t realize how bad it was (if they didn’t see the carnage). At that age maybe thinking accidental drug overdose, alcohol etc. never in wildest dreams would they know what was inside bedroom…assuming doors were locked.

I’m certain they wouldn’t know how bad it was, but they would know something was very wrong. If cops showed up to the house with lights and sirens on- because it was an emergency that is how they would have arrived. And in that noise your roommates from upstairs don’t come downstairs… you know something is very wrong.
They may have not seen any blood at all- but if the doors to the rooms are open and they have a furnace mixing air- they may have smelled it
No coffee smells, no one has turned on the TV, no music playing, no sound of showers or talking, or movement from upstairs, no dog running about
All of that combined would have told them Something is very wrong

JMO

Some things from the previous thread that made me think about them:

I've considered the possibility of it being a professor (especially a married one). If one of the girls was secretly sleeping with her professor and in her mind the relationship got serious, she might demand that they go public. He could have killed her, and killed her friends in case she told them what was going on. Alternately, a professor who is sexually harassing a student, and she threatens to turn him in. Neither particularly likely, but worth considering. (#729, debirlfan)

MOO: That's an interesting good point. We know almost nothing about the classes and teachers our victims had at the U of I. I want to clear up that while the mental image of a professor is something like that for most people, this is often not the case. At least where I am from, it is pretty common for some lectures and seminars to be given by phd students - this would give you a person who is "slightly above their age group". Mind you, in my experience there were quite some hot males who also lacked some social skills in that sub-group. While this angle is not super likely, as we'd expect someone to know about it, it is also not unlikely per say. Edit: and I don't mean there had to be a sexual interaction with that person and any of the victims - a student in his class might as well be just from where the stalker found one of the victims.

Someone had mentioned that we know a lot more about K and M's night than X and E's. I honestly believe that's mainly because they happened to be caught on a Twitch video at the food truck. If K and M had not been on that video or if the food truck hadn't been live streaming, all we'd really know about K and M was that they went to a bar and possibly might know they stopped at a food truck if family released their credit card receipts. But a lot of the discussion around these two women involves this video they were caught on. Without it, we would probably not be discussing them as much. (#772, MntnHiker)

MOO: Yes! What I cannot figure out is which way round it is: is it mainly that we know more about K&M because of K's family talking so much and releasing stuff or mainly that we know less about E&X because of their information being kept quiet.

Yes it can be that, but it can also be as the result of fighting back. At the Sharon Tate murders, Wojciech Frykowski sustained the most stab wounds by far, but he wasn't a particular target compared to anyone else. As the killers later admitted, he just fought them like hell. So, he ends up with double and triple the stab wounds of the other victims on the scene. If one of them was staged more elaborately than the others, that could also be a sign of that victim being a more primary target.(#813, Zella)

MOO: I am pretty sure there was some sort of staging or mutilation or something like that. For all of the "worst crime scene we're ever seen" and talking about how they provide support for the officers, there had to be something more than just a lot of blood, IMO. These are not pre-schoolers who freak out at more blood than a drop. There had to be something graphic.

Question: when were the bodies given to families and has any of them given interviews after that?

Last edited:
What are your thoughts about the target? Do all of you think it was the girls? Or the couple back from the party? A student or random young guy did the killings

I feel like an arrest is coming soon, it may be overly optimistic of me but have got to hold on to some hope. This whole situation is so devastating.

I think so, as well.

Note the careful language around yesterday's releases on The City Of Moscow website, "At this time, there are no named suspects, no arrests and no weapon has been found."

And The City of Moscow Police Department, "At this time, no suspect has been identified, and only vetted information that does not hinder the investigation will be released to the public."

IMO, they have a profile and DNA, but this individual's DNA is not in the database.

Hate to say I’m thinking about the dog but I am. Because they have been kind of consistent of the dog being located the NIGHT of the incident and turned over to animal control. The police were not there the NIGHT of the incident-they were called near noon so either dog was out and about on the 12th or it was located the night of the 13th. I’m starting to think it was the 12th because if it took them until the night of the 13th to locate the dog that’s an issue. Dog was hanging out in animal shelter from the 12th to the 13th. (are there records for that?). The shelter may have called owners and jack picked up dog and that’s why m & k were calling or she was calling to tell him animal control had dog. Either way-dog was not there when murders occurred. Could have gotten out when roommates left or maybe when perp entered the house earlier in the evening though I’m not sure if he actually did go in earlier
Night of the incident would likely be Sunday night. They could just give the date and time make it easier on everyone!
There is a record that someone went to the animal shelter to pick up a dog at 5:30 pm on November 13th. I seriously doubt that this was a routine pick up based on the fact that it is in the police log. Odds are, LE knew very little about the dog and simply contacted the animal shelter. However, when someone picked up the dog, it was connected to one of the victims.

22-M09911 Suspicious Person/Circumstance

Incident Address: 2000 blk WHITE AVE

MOSCOW ID 83843

Disposition: ACT

Time Reported: 17:30

Cad Comments:

Request assistance locating dog that was dropped off at shelter.

Officer responded. Computer report. MPD Press Log 11/13/2022

Last edited:
I believe E's family or X's father confirmed E was found in the hall on second floor. As soon as surviving roommate came up the stairs he'd be seen.

We don't know if she did or didn't see blood but if she did she likely got scared or freaked out. Maybe she didn't go any further than the top of those stairs, but rather called friends to come look.

Would explain why multiple people spoke to the 911 operator. One media outlet said one of the friends that was summonsed over found the others whilst on the 911 call. It was the first time I'd heard that too. I'm having trouble finding it right now. but I'll keep looking.
I would love for this theory to be backed up by a news article or video link.

Ethans mother say's here they were in the same room at the very end of the interview 10mins in -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seasonofthewolf