ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The insanity defense is not available in Idaho, a defendant is permitted to use evidence of mental illness to undermine the prosecution's proof that he was capable of forming the intent necessary to commit the charged crime, or mens rea.Feb 1, 2013
Establishing competency of a suspect includes documentation of thier actions before and after the crime. Maybe LE is gathering information on a POI movements so when the state prosecutor submits charges they are based on competent intent. Sentencing and charges differ if intent is established.

If this is true then I wonder why they are not asking people about 'do you know anyone that suddenly turned up with injuries to their hands' etc.
IMO the police are not asking the public to BOLO for certain people because the police already know who they are looking for. I have no idea who it might be.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get phone records and data? I’m hoping that all the victims’ phones could easily be opened with all the friends/family knowing codes to get into phone. Or does it have to be that LE has to still subpoena those records? Same question on potential suspects. Unless anyone voluntarily turned over their phone, how does LE get their records? What do they need to establish someone as a suspect that would force a provider to provide those records?

The smartwatches and phones are going to solve this crime if it’s a stalker/ person who chose this night. If there was a known argument or beef one of the victims had with someone, that’s another angle to help buttress the case.

BBM: I know you don't have to take my word for it without proof but they really are berries. I didn't believe it at first either. I'll try in morning to find where I saw them close up.
Agree about spots being berries. While the 'berries' are in process of decay they're still a brighter red than I'd expect dried blood to be (cut an entire blade of a Sansieveria/Snake Plant and tell me about it two weeks later - plants are funny in a resilient and strong kind of way). Also, the area in tree above the supspected 'berries/blood' is the only area in tree -visible in that one single pic - where tree is devoid of berries as, IMO, they've already fallen. Which brings the question; since the berries do still kind of look fresh/not necessarily ready to be shed by tree...why did they fall? Critters/squirrels, yeah, always a possibility.

All JMO while wishing a botanist with some tracking in his/her history could chime in on this.

Bruising indicates a struggle, hit with fists or blunt objects, or possibly from the guard on the knife handle. The bruises are separate from the knife injuries, themselves.
I did a google search after this interview and apparently stabbing can cause bruising. I don't remember the specifics, as I'm not the best at retaining info.!

I’d like to start a list of what is a fact (corroborated by LE) and what is unknown:

Facts:
EX were at a party Saturday night
X called dad at midnight
MK went to Corner Club and Food Truck Saturday night/Sunday morning
Food truck persons (? Don’t know exactly whom) cleared by LE
Roommates went out independently Saturday night
Roommates came home by 1:00 am
EX arrived home by 1:45
MK arrived home by 1:56 by private party driver
Private party cleared by LE
MK called J 7 times prior to 2:55. He never answered
J cleared by LE
LE says deaths occurred 3 - 4 am
911 call made by roommates phone(s ?) 11:56 am Sunday
Roommates cleared by LE
Other people (?) at house when LE arrived
Dog taken by animal control and released to co-owner (J ?)
No sexual assaults
Killed by multiple stab wounds

Unknown:
Motive
Who was found where
Where EX went after party
How MK got to Club and food truck
Sleeping arrangements (who in what rooms)
Dog’s whereabouts Saturday night/Sunday morning
Did any of them have plans Sunday?
Did roommates see bodies and crime scene?
Were bedrooms locked?
Were invited visitors in house Saturday night / Sunday morning before crime?
Is blood dripping on exterior wall?
Has anyone been questioned as a suspect?
Was there DNA found?

What am I missing? What’s inaccurate?
Did LE confirm X's call to her father? I think that info came from the father.
No one has been "cleared by LE;" the wording has always included "at this time" or some variation of that.

Based on what do they have a suspect? Video surveillance, witness statements? DNA evidence has likely not been processed yet and it's questionable whether the perp's DNA is on file.
Good old fashioned police work. No doubt the Club had video inside and out that was reviewed by LE for the events that occurred while the 2 victims were there, and before and afterward. It appears the 2 were targeted, perhaps for turning someone down, then followed home. After killing them, the perp checked the 2nd floor in case anyone heard the killings and killed the couple in bed. Saw the 2nd floor other bedroom empty and mistakenly thought the rest of the house was empty. 1st floor girls got lucky- the suspect didn't realize there were bedrooms on 1st floor. That shows the suspect didn't know the house or the occupants. Had to be a stranger who followed the 2 club girls to the home.

I’d like to start a list of what is a fact (corroborated by LE) and what is unknown:

Facts:
EX were at a party Saturday night
X called dad at midnight
MK went to Corner Club and Food Truck Saturday night/Sunday morning
Food truck persons (? Don’t know exactly whom) cleared by LE
Roommates went out independently Saturday night
Roommates came home by 1:00 am
EX arrived home by 1:45
MK arrived home by 1:56 by private party driver
Private party cleared by LE
MK called J 7 times prior to 2:55. He never answered
J cleared by LE
LE says deaths occurred 3 - 4 am
911 call made by roommates phone(s ?) 11:56 am Sunday
Roommates cleared by LE
Other people (?) at house when LE arrived
Dog taken by animal control and released to co-owner (J ?)
No sexual assaults
Killed by multiple stab wounds

Unknown:
Motive
Who was found where
Where EX went after party
How MK got to Club and food truck
Sleeping arrangements (who in what rooms)
Dog’s whereabouts Saturday night/Sunday morning
Did any of them have plans Sunday?
Did roommates see bodies and crime scene?
Were bedrooms locked?
Were invited visitors in house Saturday night / Sunday morning before crime?
Is blood dripping on exterior wall?
Has anyone been questioned as a suspect?
Was there DNA found?

What am I missing? What’s inaccurate?
Per Moscow police spokesperson Snell “All individuals who were in the home when police arrived have been cleared”.
From the interview yesterday per link below.

Idaho Student murders update: Police say why key details are being withheld from the public

I saw the whole interview last night. VERY interesting he would not answer simple questions about Murphy.

Also, I had another thought about why kids did not call 911 right away. Might they have had some "stuff" they did not want LE to see, and called friends to remove it.

Even if there is an arrest soon, it will be a long time before we gets answers.
IMO They might have banged and banged on the victims doors and when not getting any response they might have called their friends to see what to do and after more banging and banging, called 911 believing the person was unconscious. But then again with this scenario, the girl may have gotten up and went out for a walk. I don't think one could peer thru the roommates window since it was on the top floor. IMO Also, the suspect may have pulled a blanket over the victim when he/she was done so you could not see all the blood if one looked thru a window. Kind of wonder if the suspect stabbed thru the blanket. IMO

Police have not released the identity of the witness who called 911 to the location of the murders Nov. 13 using one of the victims' roommates phones. But police have said the caller was a friend who did not live in the victims' home on King Road.

Quoting my post.

I have read this a few times, who’s phone was used?

IMO They might have banged and banged on the victims doors and when not getting any response they might have called their friends to see what to do and after more banging and banging, called 911 believing the person was unconscious. But then again with this scenario, the girl may have gotten up and went out for a walk. I don't think one could peer thru the roommates window since it was on the top floor. IMO Also, the suspect may have pulled a blanket over the victim when he/she was done so you could not see all the blood if one looked thru a window. Kind of wonder if the suspect stabbed thru the blanket. IMO
Wouldn't the surviving housemates try to wake up the girl from the 2nd floor and her bf first?

I have often considered the possibility that X woke up as E was being killed and that she tried to aid E by assaulting the killer.
“Bruises, torn by the knife," Jeff Kernodle told Arizona news outlet 3TV/ CBS 5, adding that her injuries showed signs of putting up a fight against her attacker. "She’s a tough kid. Whatever she wanted to do, she could do it,"

The coroner stated that the roommates, although evidently not all in their own respective beds, were likely asleep when they were killed. It follows then that any defensive wounds would've then been instinctive and perhaps even involuntary, and as such it would be doubtful that anyone would've woken up and been conscious enough to actually try to fend off an attacker. Something like that probably would've also been loud enough to stir others on other floors, enough so to get a call out to 911 or to at a minimum escape and/or make a valiant defense of themselves/others. I feel like there is little chance that a suspect killed 4 young, strong adults that efficiently if any of them woke up enough to defend themselves or others.

My opinion.

I agree, the police have an idea who did this as well.

Also, I find it strange that the roommates who survived, called their friends after finding “an unconscious roommate.”
We know from the parents of the victim, that the crime scene was “messy.” This leads me to believe we are either being kept in the dark, or the roommates are lying. They would have to have seen all the blood and carnage to just see one victim, and they decided to call friends instead of calling the police or for real help. Not buying this. Roommates no more or we don’t really know what they told police.

No way the killer was a stranger, unless he is the luckiest person alive. There were to many victims and variables, like the dog. The killer knew the dog wasn’t an issue and that it wouldn’t make noise or try to defend anyone. The killer could have even been seen in the house and the victims wouldn’t have had a second thought. The victims know who he is and wouldn’t have reacted if they did see him.

There is a website called Windy.com I use.
There are a few cameras for Moscow and you can even go back 30 days on each camera but each day only shows a few secs of video. I assume LE has access to those video cameras?

Good old fashioned police work. No doubt the Club had video inside and out that was reviewed by LE for the events that occurred while the 2 victims were there, and before and afterward. It appears the 2 were targeted, perhaps for turning someone down, then followed home. After killing them, the perp checked the 2nd floor in case anyone heard the killings and killed the couple in bed. Saw the 2nd floor other bedroom empty and mistakenly thought the rest of the house was empty. 1st floor girls got lucky- the suspect didn't realize there were bedrooms on 1st floor. That shows the suspect didn't know the house or the occupants. Had to be a stranger who followed the 2 club girls to the home.
K and M didn't go straight home from the club. They went to the food truck (walking?). Does that mean that the perp is on video there? They didn't walk home from the food truck, so what was the killer's mode of transport?

I think this is a really good point. The damage could be minimized if the perp wore gloves and perhaps some sort of tactical clothes but you would have to imagine some kind of cuts or bruises even if small that wouldn't look normal. That is also why I wonder if this is someone who can disappear for awhile without causing a stir
I have a theory on a profile of who did this. What if it was someone who worked in a kitchen and proficient with a knife? I know when I worked in a kitchen and did food prep, you can spend hours chopping food and sharpening your knifes. You get used to being very precise and fluid with your movements.

X called dad at midnight
I don't think this phone call has been confirmed by LE? I don't think we know if X called dad or dad called X? I don't think we know the exact time of the phone call?

MOO: per Xanas dad, he and Xana last talked at around midnight

Xana is one of the victims of the brutal stabbing at the University of Idaho, leaving four college roommates dead on Sunday. “I heard from her I think before we went out,” Kernodle said. “I think midnight was the last time we heard from her and she was fine.”
The murders rocked the small town of Moscow, Idaho, which hasn’t had a murder since 2015, according to state records. “I have no idea. It doesn’t make sense,” said Kernodle. He says Xana was in constant communication with her family and nothing about that night seemed unusual.
(Link)

Edit: do we even know 100% it was a call and not texting/SM? Nothing in this quote tells me they called vs for example chatted on FB. I think I've seen the word "call" somewhere, but cannot find anything like that atm.

Last edited:
I agree, the police have an idea who did this as well.

Also, I find it strange that the roommates who survived, called their friends after finding “an unconscious roommate.”
We know from the parents of the victim, that the crime scene was “messy.” This leads me to believe we are either being kept in the dark, or the roommates are lying. They would have to have seen all the blood and carnage to just see one victim, and they decided to call friends instead of calling the police or for real help. Not buying this. Roommates no more or we don’t really know what they told police.

No way the killer was a stranger, unless he is the luckiest person alive. There were to many victims and variables, like the dog. The killer knew the dog wasn’t an issue and that it wouldn’t make noise or try to defend anyone. The killer could have even been seen in the house and the victims wouldn’t have had a second thought. The victims know who he is and wouldn’t have reacted if they did see him.

A 911 operator is going to report "unconscious" regardless because that is all the information that was definitively known at the time. The person wasn't responding. They were at a minimum unconscious. The 911 caller could have said 'not responding and there is blood everywhere! I think they are dead!" and the 911 operator would have still relayed "unconscious person or persons" to EMS and/or authorities.

My opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member