ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you all seen the latest interview of Kaylee’s father? Hard to watch in many ways, but he says something to the effect of maybe there’s a selfie that you don’t think matters, but something from an alibi that was supposed to be there isn’t, like parking next to a tree. That then made me think of the police saying, what sounded like a riddle, that sometimes a video or picture that what isn’t in it is just as important as what is.

It just sounds like he was trying to say that there is an alibi that isn’t adding up. That’s certainly interesting. It could be anyone at this point since they’ve spoken to what, 90 people? Again though, while I understand their pain and desperately wanting to catch the killer, the killer is watching all of this. The families need to stop talking

Parking next to a tree?!
Like a Mountain Ash that’s shedding berries?

Is it a reasonable assumption that LE would have carefully looked at the friends lists of victims on social channels (like Facebook in particular) for male connections that from older profile photos appear to have experience with outdoors/hunting (bloodier big game hunting in particular)? And whose family connections may suggest past military involvement (knife) and/or involvement and/or support of dog rescue/animal support groups (reason why dog wasn’t harmed)? And especially profiles that only show a connection with just one of the victims (like Maddie for example) suggesting that the connection(s) were only an acquaintance/peripheral connection as opposed to being a real member of the victim’s friend group? Surely that kind of stuff has been vetted. Right?

Seems pretty clear at this point Law Enforcement has their suspect and are watching them, while they obtain the evidence of the suspect's movements in the day before and after the murders. Hence the request for video/photos. LE doesn't just trace the victims' movements. They do the same for suspects. LE are building a case, piece by piece, and will only make the arrest once the entire case is made and signed off by the DA. This will be a high profile case, and LE won't want a defense Attorney finding evidence afterward that LE should have found prior. Hence the request for the Public's help with photos/videos. We should expect arrest within 2 weeks.
I agree they have a suspect too, they're just not mentioning it so that person doesn't catch on and flee or even commit suicide. LE has repeatedly said this is a targeted attack. That in and of itself suggests that the suspect list is very limited. It has to be someone who has been in contact in some way with the intended target. Could be an acquaintance, could be a friend, could be someone that saw one of them and decided they wanted to stalk the victim....don't know that aspect of it. But there has to be a reason the victim was targeted. Find that reason and you have your guy/gal. That probably eliminates 95% or more of the population of the area.

The surviving housemates didn't necessarily see the bloody scenes if those were contained in locked/blocked rooms. Rather than unconscious their roommates were unresponsive to calls.
I'm trying to keep up here - was it ever specifically stated that the doors of the rooms the victims were located in were both locked?? To me that really adds a bit of curiosity that the killer would lock both doors, to possibly hamper the investigation further, make the surviving roommates maybe think the victims didn't want to be bothered so it would take longer to discover the murders.. ??

Parking next to a tree?!
Like a Mountain Ash that’s shedding berries?
No I took it like someone says I parked my car next to such and such but it wasn’t there. I think that’s why they’re saying, which makes sense, any pictures or anything on social media that these kids took between any of the hours of that night should be sent to law-enforcement because anyone of them could have something important in it. In other words, they can catch something that someone said as part of their alibi that actually independently isn’t there.

That has been amended, the coroner stated there were defensive wounds.
We know for sure X had defensive wounds per her father's interview.

Makes sense the two together E & X would have defensive wounds, seems it would be difficult to stab one in bed without the other not waking. Understandable the M & K sleeping separate wouldn’t.

Jmo

I know this video from CNN has been shared already, but I'm posting it again for anyone who may have missed it -- interview with K's dad and two siblings.

Counter to the dad's interview with Fox News, where others have speculated that he seems to know more than the public does, he mentions here that he isn't getting "much [new information]" from LE. Also important is the emphasis on the timeline: K and M got home at 1:56, not 1:45, and K's sister says that clearing this up is crucial to getting more information / evidence from the public.

I find it interesting as to why Ethan was the only one reported to be in trouble. Why was he the only one they were concerned about and not the other 3 victims? I have a theory. Ethan had died at the top of the stairs. The stairs that led from the first floor to the 2nd floor. One of the surviving roommates on the first floor saw him there. Just maybe an arm or part of his head or some other unbloodied torso. They would have immediately called 911 if they saw blood. The fact they didn’t see the full extent of Ethans injuries suggest they kept their distance for their own safety because they didn’t know what the heck was going on. That would explain why the surviving roommates didn’t report the other 3 victims because they couldn’t check on them without first passing Ethan on the stirs. After Ethan didn’t respond to their pleas if he was alright they called their friend to come over. That’s when then the full extent of what had happened to him was realized.

This is only my opinion.

I have two competing, and almost certainly wrong, theories. lol

Theory #1: We know that X & E were reportedly at a frat party early, and that E went to sisters sorority dance. Where was X during this dance? Was she at a different party? Maybe she attracted the attention or even rebuffed the advances of someone at the party. i.e. maybe she was the target. X & E could've been texting and coordinated their departures for roughly the same time. Creeper at the party followed her home and attempted to attack her in her room, which explains her defensive wounds. E came home shortly after and was completely surprised by the attacker. Doesn't really fit with the original coroner story of everyone in their bed, although we know that was later walked back but this version seems far off from that. Also, I'm not sure there is any evidence that X & E were apart that night, but could they have been? And why were M & K killed?

Theory #2: Either M or K were the target either from rumored stalker or from someone at the bar earlier that night, since according to one witness they gathered some attention that night there. X & E were asleep when this attack began, but X woke up and from her room called out to them. That attracted the attention of the killer who decided he needed to eliminate a potential witness. He came into the room and killed X first, and then turned attention to E who was either knocked out asleep (maybe heavy drinking that night) or who was just rousing from sleep.

I struggle to see this as a random event, and seems like LE also views it as targeted. A bit hard to explain the 4 victims, however, if this was targeted unless the others were viewed as threats of discovery to the killer.

Yes it was brought up and discussed briefly. Many believed either the reporter got it wrong or she was referring to the defensive wounds Xana sustained, as referenced by her dad.

I'm not at all convinced that the 'physical struggle' was in reference to Xana fighting with her attacker.
X is likely to have some defensive wounds simply because the perpetrator would've almost certainly attacked E first to eliminate the theat of a bigger male. That initial attack probably awakened her enough to raise her hands/arms in a hazy effort to defend herself but (MOO) I doubt that it presented much deterence, if any, overall.

In an interview with Fox News the police says:
Snell said authorities also believe the attack "was a targeted incident" toward one or more of the three women who lived there. Chapin, the sole male victim did not live at the home and was visiting his girlfriend, Kernodle.

As for who was the target, that information is not publicly known.

When Snell was asked "who was targeted or were there multiple people that were targeted doing that, that incident," he said the information was "pertinent to the investigation" but "ultimately will come out."
So they exclude EC as target?

Kaylee Goncalves' father speaks out on the Idaho student murders investigation​

Kaylee Goncalves' father, Steve Goncalves, shared his thoughts on the investigation and the hunt for the killer on 'Lawrence Jones Cross Country.'
Kaylee Goncalves' father speaks out on the Idaho student murders investigation | Fox News Video

Great interview, but hard to watch how much the father is clearly suffering and frustrated at this time. Nonetheless, he supports LE's requests for him not to divulge information he has about the murders.

The father made a strong plea for people to check their selfies, photos they took that night, etc. and not to worry about the fact that they may have been underage and drinking which might stop them from giving LE digital information as they worry about illegally drinking.

K's father seemed to reiterate LE's statement that something may be missing that should be there, etc. For example, K's father said that maybe you have a selfie or a picture on your phone, and there is something in the background that could be useful for LE to review.

Good interview, and handled well by Lawrence Jones, Fox News reporter, who is on the ground in Moscow, Idaho.

I agree they have a suspect too, they're just not mentioning it so that person doesn't catch on and flee or even commit suicide. LE has repeatedly said this is a targeted attack. That in and of itself suggests that the suspect list is very limited. It has to be someone who has been in contact in some way with the intended target. Could be an acquaintance, could be a friend, could be someone that saw one of them and decided they wanted to stalk the victim....don't know that aspect of it. But there has to be a reason the victim was targeted. Find that reason and you have your guy/gal. That probably eliminates 95% or more of the population of the area.
While I would like to believe LE has a suspect, I find nothing in the limited info they've released that would lead me to that conclusion alone. Everything LE is requesting from the public would be the same if they didn't have a suspect; camera footage, etc. As for the it being a "targeted" attack, while on one hand that could mean suspects from a limited circle, on the other hand, tho, social media and the internet can allow a total stranger access to an intended victim, without the victim themselves having the slightest clue.

Hate to be a contrarian, but that's just me I guess.

. I found the interview with Kaylee's dad, on FOX news, very telling. (The part about the car.) In the last presser this is exactly what LE said. That what is NOT in a picture is just as important as what is. I believe we have been given a clue, twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raine73