ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"A community gripped by fear"
:(

"The small town of Moscow, Idaho, received a deluge of calls last week reporting suspicious activity and requesting welfare checks after four University of Idaho students were savagely stabbed to death in a home near campus, according to the recently released 911 logs."

I actually reviewed the Jayme Closs thread, and several articles written about her Kidnapping, October, 2019. She was gone for approximately 87 days. Until she rescued herself from escape from her abductor.

It seemed like the profile was all over on that case. And many tips of sightings were completely wrong.

It is a good case to review, especially when LEO asked about anyone on the road at that time, and they actually passed the kidnapper with Jayme in the car on their way to the scene!
it still pains me that the responding officer did make note of the car in his report but that information was never relayed to the public as either a BOLO or a "hey, you might be a witness please contact us". Learning experience.

Came across a very interesting article from TheDailyMail, wherein they interviewed the Idaho State Police Spokesman, Aaron Snell. Here's a snippet Snell said in the article :
'We still believe it was a targeted attack based on the evidence at the scene and how everything developed, what we know. We believe that's accurate,' he said

I'm unsure as to the veracity of TheDailyMail, but here is the article if y'all wish to deep dive.

Thought it would be interesting to see how many different "profiles" the paid professionals are coming up with. Keep in mind they DO NOT have the data LE has. They are working with the same info we have but have their knowledge and experience.

1. Incel theory - Carole Lieberman (Forensic Psychiatrist)
Forensic psychiatrist Carole Lieberman said she is confident the slayings were not a random attack or the work of a serial killer. The "multiple stabbings and bloody mess are signs that it was personal and that the killer was enraged," Lieberman told Newsweek.
  • Personal
  • Enraged
  • Not random or serial
  • Felt rejected or would be suitor
2. Young & knew at least one victim - Jim Clemente (Former FBI profiler)
The murderer who ruthlessly slaughtered four University of Idaho students is likely a “younger” man and a first-time killer, famed former FBI profiler Jim Clemente said.

Clemente, a criminal behavioral expert and former New York State prosecutor, believes the person who killed Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Ethan Chapin, 20, Xana Kernodle, 20, and Madison Mogen, 21 on Nov. 13 likely knew at least one of the victims.
  • Young
  • Comfortable with blood
  • First-time killer
  • Lives in the area
  • Doesn't mind "wet work" and profession will say the same
And here: Idaho college killer likely a stalker or knew students, ex-FBI profiler says he says this:
  • Stalker
  • Not Sophisticated criminally or forensically
3. Potential Serial Killer -Dr. Casey Jordan (criminologist, behavior analyst, attorney)
You could have somebody who is a potential serial killer who has been thinking about doing this for a very long time,” he tells Inside Edition. “If the fantasy was fulfilled, then the fantasy will bloom even larger and very often, we will find a perp who feels compelled to do it again.”

But Jordan says another, and perhaps stronger, possibility is that the victims were acquaintances with their killer.
  • Potential Serial Killer
  • Acquaintances w/ killer
  • From the community
  • In the house before
4. Instrumental Violence-Mary Ellen O'Toole (Retired agent and profiler FBI)
Paraphrasing interview: Targeted has meaning. Equal targets or not?
  • Not evidence conscious
  • Likely cut themselves and left DNA evidence
  • Likely been in the home prior
  • Prior experience being in other people's homes
  • Had to be a sturdy knife
  • Up close and personal
  • Sloppy crime scene but efficient with knife means experienced
  • Doubtful the knife was tossed
  • The knife has been used before but not necessarily in a murder
  • Instrumental not reactive violence
  • cold-blooded, predatory, callous violence perpetrated frequently on strangers
  • Psychopathic individuals lacking empathy and guilt commit high-risk crimes b/c they enjoy the crime
  • Believes there is a threat to the community
  • High risk for reoffending
5. Young male -Jonathan Gilliam (Former FBI Special Agent)
  • Young male
  • One, not two killers
  • Could get in and out w/ out being seen
  • Entered the second floor
  • Not the first time this person did this
  • Adrenaline filled incident
  • Odd or manacing behavior toward people close to him
  • Typically a killing like this is not the first kill unless in the family environment (which this is not)
  • Sees this as an escalation
  • 3-hour travel distance this person probably lives
6. Copycat killer - Bill Warner - (Private Detective)
Bill Warner, a private detective from Sarasota, Florida, called the murderer a "copy cat serial killer" after tracing down the same killing spree pattern as the infamous Ted Bundy murders.

"Current trail of unsolved murders in Washington, Oregon, and Moscow Idaho mimics trail of murders committed by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1970's," he said.

Bundy "appears to have started his murder spree in Feb 1974 in Washington, then May 1974 in Oregon and then May 1975 in Idaho and then many, many more, he was just getting started," Warner explained.

He added: "No coincidence when the same exact geographic path used by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1970's mimicked by current copy cat serial killer murders in Washington, Oregon and the case in Moscow Idaho, three for three."
Early 30's
  • Above Avg. height
  • Fighting Skills
  • Powerful build
  • Martial arts training
7. Targeted & In their orbit-Bill Daly (Former FBI Investigator)
A former FBI investigator said he believes that the Idaho quadruple murders were a targeted attack and that someone in the slain college students' 'orbit' caused it to happen.

• Two unharmed people
  • Would have to know the home
  • Not mass murderer rampage b/c others downstairs unharmed
  • Think LE have more than we are aware
  • DNA & Fingerprints are only good if they have something to compare to right now, but great later
8. In their Circle - Nancy Grace
  • Someone in their circle
  • No connection w/ person that called it in
9. Someone knew the house-Brad Garrett (Former FBI)
"It tells me that someone came into the house with a comfort level -- that they probably knew their way around the house," Garrett said.

Garrett said investigators should be broadening their search outside the victims' immediate circle of friends and family.

"You're going to have to start spreading out to people they had just a casual relationship with," he said.
  • Someone knew the house
10. Likely Female -Rodney Demery - (Former homicide detective-podcaster "murder chose me")
ormer homicide detective Rodney Demery believes it's "very likely" a woman is behind the murder of four college students in Idaho. "I think it was someone that had a rage, a certain passion, to create such violence," Demery says.
  • 7% female mass murderers
  • Passion
  • Rage
  • Same-sex relationship
11. Not Serial Killer - Mark Furhman -(Former LAPD Detective & lives in Idaho)
  • Not a serial killer
  • Targeted crime
  • Killer sought out and knows one or more of the victims
  • Knife is a weapon of rage
  • Should be able to find the order of killings, height, footprint, right or left-handed from blood spatter analysis
  • Should be able to get blood type even if DNA is not in the system
This is brilliant thankyou :)

100% this isn't random or the work of a serial killer and i will eat crow if it is.

Former Los Angeles Police Department Det. Mark Fuhrman similarly said MPD's statement saying the attack was "isolated" and "targeted" struck him as odd, especially given the fact that the statement was made before the coroner released preliminary autopsy results for the four victims.

The ‘targeted attack,’ even if that is true, it just doesn't make sense," Fuhurman said. "In my 20 years in the LAPD, I have never heard anything like that. You can't make that determination that quick. "…To have them say this was an isolated, targeted attack, they could be 100% right, but they have to have something that made them say that."

The former LAPD detective speculated that the perpetrator may have left a note or message of some sort in the house — some indication that the attack was, in fact, isolated and targeted before the autopsies were completed. -Foxnews

Art Bettge, the mayor of Moscow, Idaho, told The New York Times that the killings were a "crime of passion" but declined to divulge further details. "With a crime of this magnitude, it's very difficult to work through," he told the paper

I really think something was left at the crime scene MOO

I'm thinking about what police said about asking for any videos/photos because what ISN'T in them could be important. I'm trying to wrack my brain--what is an example of something being absent that could be significant? the only thing i'm thinking is if someone who would normally be at work, for example, wasn't seen in a certain space like in the background or something. A car could also apply to this.

Let's say a house has video coverage of a street. They watch the video all the way through the morning of the murders. Nothing shows up whether somebody driving by or walking or running. LE can reasonably conclude that the suspect did not use that path to not only come to the murder site but also leave from the murder site. It helps eliminate ingress/egress routes.

It could also be a photo of say a party. Photo is time stamped. Somebody who says they were at such and such a place at a given time could be refuted based off a photo. Maybe they say they were asleep in their room. A photo shows a gathering/party where he lives and the coat that he religiously puts on the chair in the dining room isn't there. Well, that's suspicious.

Thought it would be interesting to see how many different "profiles" the paid professionals are coming up with. Keep in mind they DO NOT have the data LE has. They are working with the same info we have but have their knowledge and experience.

Forensic psychiatrist Carole Lieberman said she is confident the slayings were not a random attack or the work of a serial killer. The "multiple stabbings and bloody mess are signs that it was personal and that the killer was enraged," Lieberman told Newsweek.
  • Personal
  • Enraged
  • Not random or serial
The murderer who ruthlessly slaughtered four University of Idaho students is likely a “younger” man and a first-time killer, famed former FBI profiler Jim Clemente said.

Clemente, a criminal behavioral expert and former New York State prosecutor, believes the person who killed Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Ethan Chapin, 20, Xana Kernodle, 20, and Madison Mogen, 21 on Nov. 13 likely knew at least one of the victims.
  • Young
  • Comfortable with blood
  • First-time killer
  • Lives in the area
And here: Idaho college killer likely a stalker or knew students, ex-FBI profiler says he says this:
  • Stalker
3. Potential Serial Killer -Dr. Casey Jordan (criminologist, behavior analyst, attorney)
You could have somebody who is a potential serial killer who has been thinking about doing this for a very long time,” he tells Inside Edition. “If the fantasy was fulfilled, then the fantasy will bloom even larger and very often, we will find a perp who feels compelled to do it again.”

But Jordan says another, and perhaps stronger, possibility is that the victims were acquaintances with their killer.
  • From the community
  • In the house before
  • Not evidence conscious
  • Up close and personal
  • Psychopathic individuals lacking empathy and guilt commit high-risk crimes b/c they enjoy the crime
  • Young male
  • One, not two killers
  • Typically a killing like this is not the first kill unless in the family environment (which this is not)
Bill Warner, a private detective from Sarasota, Florida, called the murderer a "copy cat serial killer" after tracing down the same killing spree pattern as the infamous Ted Bundy murders.

"Current trail of unsolved murders in Washington, Oregon, and Moscow Idaho mimics trail of murders committed by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1970's," he said.

Bundy "appears to have started his murder spree in Feb 1974 in Washington, then May 1974 in Oregon and then May 1975 in Idaho and then many, many more, he was just getting started," Warner explained.

He added: "No coincidence when the same exact geographic path used by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1970's mimicked by current copy cat serial killer murders in Washington, Oregon and the case in Moscow Idaho, three for three."
Early 30's
  • Above Avg. height
  • Fighting Skills
  • Powerful build
  • Martial arts training
A former FBI investigator said he believes that the Idaho quadruple murders were a targeted attack and that someone in the slain college students' 'orbit' caused it to happen.

• Two unharmed people
  • DNA & Fingerprints are only good if they have something to compare to right now, but great later
"It tells me that someone came into the house with a comfort level -- that they probably knew their way around the house," Garrett said.

Garrett said investigators should be broadening their search outside the victims' immediate circle of friends and family.

"You're going to have to start spreading out to people they had just a casual relationship with," he said.
  • Someone knew the house
10. Likely Female -Rodney Demery - (Former homicide detective-podcaster "murder chose me")
ormer homicide detective Rodney Demery believes it's "very likely" a woman is behind the murder of four college students in Idaho. "I think it was someone that had a rage, a certain passion, to create such violence," Demery says.
  • Passion
  • Rage
  • Same-sex relationship
  • Not a serial killer
  • Targeted crime
  • Should be able to find the order of killings, height, footprint, right or left-handed from blood spatter analysis
I believe most of what is said here and I'm certainly not a professional. I think it was targeted to one or two girls. KG, if I had to guess because of the timing. I think it was personal, someone they definitely knew. This person was full of rage, just snapped, had access to this kind of knife as opposed to having access to a gun. Someone who has not killed before but has presented personality traits such as anger issues, is jealous and controlling, is immature, and/or narcissistic tendencies and has either been rebuffed, rejected or has not experienced many relationships..JMO

If I’m not mistaken many cars built in the last few yrs have some tracking devices built into the vehicle ECR’s It doesn’t record everything but LE can determine when a car has been driven, I’m pretty sure this is correct, can someone who is familiar With ECRs and auto computers confirm or deny this

The video has some views of the town and students returning. Idyllic small college town where you'd feel your children will have a safe college environment. Really makes you realize how Kaylee's father is left waiting for more explanations-- his daughter is gone in a horrible way with not a bit of closure as to why or who did this. The parents and siblings of the victims are left in a waiting mode that must be eating away at them. Saying a prayer that this time of not knowing ends soon. As far as these experts opinions go, sorry but it seems like I've read more astute theories here.

“There are a couple of things that are starting to suggest that there was someone in these people's orbit that caused this incident to come about by this murderer,” Bill Daly, a former FBI investigator, told Fox News on Sunday. “Someone would've had to know the inside of the home, know their routine.”

• Personal
  • Enraged
  • Not random or serial

• Young
  • Comfortable with blood
  • First-time killer
  • Lives in the area
  • Stalker

• From the community
  • In the house before
  • Not evidence conscious
  • Up close and personal
  • Young male
  • One, not two killers

Early 30's
  • Above Avg. height
  • Fighting Skills
  • Powerful build
  • Martial arts training

• Two unharmed people

• Someone knew the house
  • Passion
  • Rage
  • Same-sex relationship
  • Not a serial killer
  • Targeted crime
Can this excellent reference summary be added to the timeline media thread. It would be easy to refer back to without searching for it.

I'd agree too, but didn't the coroner say they were all stabbed? Nothing mentioned about slashing. Although a deep, swift thrust through the neck would probably be sufficient to incapacitate and cause death.
The coroner did say that. My thought process was that what if the killer was not able to disable the victim right away with stabbing or the victim tried to get away. Slashing of the throat would ensure a quick death. But this is just my own speculation. It is possible the coroner did not provide all details of the crime scene. JMO

If I’m not mistaken many cars built in the last few yrs have some tracking devices built into the vehicle ECR’s It doesn’t record everything but LE can determine when a car has been driven, I’m pretty sure this is correct, can someone who is familiar With ECRs and auto computers confirm or deny this
Absolutely they can do this if the car is new enough. They would have to have a warrant to do this. There is much that can be accessed from these. Look up Berla and their technology if you are curious.

Absolutely they can do this if the car is new enough. They would have to have a warrant to do this. There is much that can be accessed from these. Look up Berla and their technology if you are curious.
So If They find A POI who flames He was home asleep, If His car is A newer model it’s possible they could determine if it was driven? That’s interesting and another tool LE can possibly use? Even during interrogation, IE We pulled Info off your vehicle we know your Lying, all the time bluffing

Can this excellent reference summary be added to the timeline media thread. It would be easy to refer back to without searching for it.
Thank you! I have now added it to the media thread.

Just so you know, any of us can add media to the media thread. The only stipulation is that it is media and there is no discussion. :)

So If They find A POI who flames He was home asleep, If His car is A newer model it’s possible they could determine if it was driven? That’s interesting and another tool LE can possibly use? Even during interrogation, IE We pulled Info off your vehicle we know your Lying, all the time bluffing
Except they couldn't just go get his vehicle and do that without a warrant.

Idk if this is even a reasonable assumption to make, but perhaps the reason the roommates in the basement survived is because the victims were not known to the killer. Maybe the person didn’t know there were two rooms in the basement? I don’t know anything about the layout, but the sliding glass door looks like it’s the ground floor when it’s actually the middle floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot!