ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
These were sociable kids …the fact so few students have spoken out speaks to the message getting across that all who saw the victim has been wellvounsrlled to stay schtum. As they should to increase the chance of the killer being found guilty

Indiana is not Idaho :)

Gun & Weapon Law
Exactly, people don’t realize their bias. It is clear those not from the rural areas of states with a culture based in the outdoors cannot understand the mindset. Indiana is also not Texas

About 30 yrs ago in rural Texas it was not a major issue for a truck in the student parking lot to have a shotgun or rifle hanging in full view on a rack in the back window.
NE Suburbia Shock and Scandal! Imply school shooter, demand zero tolerance, pull student from class, kick off a search of truck, backpack locker body, resulting in expulsion at the least and cuffed face down on the floor of the school hallway at the most.
Today add psychological testing, and name on list of the watched to prevent school shootings.

Reality- Some teen boys went dove, or deer hunting over the weekend and forgot the gun was in the truck. Was ammo in the truck, likely. Was the gun loaded, possibly.
Common Sense- The observing coach walked to the classroom of the student, asked him to come to the hall. Told them of the oversight and asked him to go take the gun down, be sure it is unloaded, and put it behind the seat. No harm done, case closed.
Has a single school shooter been described as a Country Boy from rural America who lived and work on the land as a farmer or rancher, and was hunter or fisherman? No.

Do we know today how many trucks/ cars in the student parking lots of rural school have a gun In them? No. Do we know how many have a knife? No. Do we know how many young men carry a pocket knife to school every day? No. Unless there is an issue, why should we?

Context Matters- The reasonableness of thoughts and actions are contextual, and context is a function of culture. This is precisely why the US Constitution leaves so much to the state.
Idaho, like Texas, is a ’leave me the heck alone’ and ‘stay out of my business’ state.

Last edited:
"Detectives are seeking all outside surveillance video taken from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. on Sunday,
November 13th, from businesses and residences within the geographical area listed below.
Detectives request all available videos – whether there appears to be motion and content or
not.
 West Taylor Ave (north boundary)
 West Palouse River Dr (south boundary)
 Highway 95 south to the 2700 block of Highway 95 S (east boundary)
 Arboretum & Botanical Garden (west boundary)"

I think this is most informative part of police statement.

It implies two things:

1) they know the whereabouts of the suspect before 3am.

2) the boundary covers an area to the south, east and west of the house, but only north as far as Taylor av, which is barely 50m.
This implies they have video footage of the area north of Taylor av, which may or may not show the suspect.

So with these two pieces of information combined, we can guess they have footage of the suspect approaching the house from the north, but not returning that way

This is obviously highly speculative but I think it's telling.

It's often what people don't say which gives the most info, rather than what they do.

I’ve looked all over the internet until my eyes bled out of my nostril.. Tell me: has it been confirmed that Kaylee had already moved out? It seemed that you could see her bed, the “good vibes” sign & other things thru the window/door after the crime.
Reportedly, Kaylee was graduating in December 2022 and had recently completed an internship that led to a FTE job offer in Texas. Her mother tells Lawrence Jones in a 14 min interview that she'd been working from their home and returned to campus for the weekend and was expected to drive back from Moscow on Tuesday. But no, I don't think she'd completely, physically moved out of the college rental yet.

No, I recall there was discussion specifically about how we did not yet know if Kaylee and Maddie were together in the same bed.

I agree it's not very surprising that they were in the same bed, but it rules out the idea of the killer first killing one girl, then deliberately moving to the next room to kill the other girl. It suggests the killer could have been targeting just one of the girls, and upon finding them sleeping together, killed them both to silence potential witnesses.

Also, profilers have said that just because there was no sexual assault evidenced at the autopsy, there can still be a sexual motive in this kind of case.
A few asked whether the perp was disturbed and that's the reason he didn't commit an actual sexual assault. Maybe them being together in the same bed is also a factor in that? Just speculation

"Detectives are seeking all outside surveillance video taken from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. on Sunday,
November 13th, from businesses and residences within the geographical area listed below.
Detectives request all available videos – whether there appears to be motion and content or
not.

It implies two things:

2) the boundary covers an area to the south, east and west of the house, but only north as far as Taylor av, which is barely 50m.
This implies they have video footage of the area north of Taylor av, which may or may not show the suspect.

So with these two pieces of information combined, we can guess they have footage of the suspect approaching the house from the north, but not returning that way

It's often what people don't say which gives the most info, rather than what they do.

The "band field" just north of Taylor av is quite open so there's probably some camera which covers it and caught the suspects movements.

It's possibly just a dark figure with a mask on though

not.

It implies two things:

can I just ask whether the roads listed are in any way different to the first appeal for camera footage that LE published? Is it not the same roads and areas?

It's strange to me a single killer could kill two people in one bed without restraining them and move to another room to do the same without it escalating into a larger confrontation.
Don’t think killer knew, or expected, they would be in same bed. My opinion

can I just ask whether the roads listed are in any way different to the first appeal for camera footage that LE published? Is it not the same roads and areas?
I'm not sure if they are different or not. Just saying that it implies they have video footage of the area to the north of Taylor av i.e. the band field.
It's an unusual and specific boundary to name

Interesting aerial that you posted, I did not realize that 1260 Walenta was that close to the back of property, I went through surrounding Google street view about a week ago to get an idea of how open & wooded it is, how far homes are set back in general, and noticed on Walenta there is an unobstructed view of/and proximate to street from a Ring camera on that home (or what appears to be a ring camera), IMO.. if in fact it is, and the perp was on foot, bike or car and passed in front of that Walenta home, hoping here LE has something to look at.
There is a registered sex offender on Walenta Dr. directly behind the area, as well as a registered sex offender living in the apartments right next door (East) to the crime scene. May or may not be relevant, but I'm sure those individuals will be considered.

I don’t know how active the investigation is, but I haven’t read any resolution to this tragic incident:
Philanthropy structure collapses at Phi Tau

Two students had to be LifeFlighted to other hospitals.
This appears like a tragic accident, not really the type of event that would be related.
My guess is the school paper is not going to be running scandals about Greek Life or any other type of student life event that would imply negligence on the part of a frat, sorority, or the school. The university would react publicly, if at all, and then stay silent or carefully follow the legal advisement.
What about the local paper?

Just a reminder that parents of the victims simply can not be held to comments that they make about the murders and/or the investigation from day to day. Regardless of how poised they may appear, they are clearly in shock and grieving.

For example, take Kristi and Steve Goncalves 14 minute interview with "Lawrence Jones Cross Country" on Nov 20, 2022, where they tell the reporter that they want to broadcast their address to the world and hope the killer shows up at their home -- almost taunting him/her-- because they were feeling fearless and empowered, compared to today where they now claim they are afraid to hold a funeral for their daughter, Kaylee, out of fear the killer might attend the service.

So terribly sad. Remember to take it all with a grain of salt. MOO

Goncalves added, "My wife's biggest fear, part of the reason we didn't have a funeral, is because she couldn't be guaranteed that that monster was going to not be there."

11/29/22 -- Dad of slain Idaho student pleads with public for help: 'I have to have my justice'
In the parents’ defense their fear the killer might attend her funeral was not fear for themselves. They were afraid he’d attend and that would be a disgusting insult, the final horror, for their daughter and their family. Not physical fear.

Could K or M could have been roofied at the bar? M looked kind of like she was staggering a bit at the food truck? Could she have passed out soon after going home due to her drink having been drugged? (How long until something like that takes effect?) And Kaylee was still up, taking the dog out, calling the ex, etc? Since she & Maddie were like sisters, she could have used M's phone to try the ex too since he wasn't answering calls from K's phone. Just thinking that's perhaps a way a killer could have ensured one of the people on the top floor wouldn't be a problem, kwim?

Purely speculation. MOO.
My friend was roofied. Luckily we caught it, and got him (yes, him) out of there. In his case, he was practically dead weight. He started off stumbling, but he couldn't even walk on his own about five minutes later, and by that I mean that his legs wouldn't even support him just standing there. I drove him to the hospital so we have confirmation from the doctor there was no other possible reason.

That being said, I have no idea if that's typical. If it is, I would confidently say she was definitely not roofied that night based on the video.

Last edited:
A few crime scene photos showed a fast food bag near the kitchen sink. Appeared to have been delivered to XK by DoorDash. The particular restaurant does not exist in Moscow, so likely was delivered from Pullman. The Pullman location offers 24 hour delivery. It may be one of very few 24 hour option for such late night delivery.

Having said all that, *if* there was a late night DoorDash delivery (impossible to tell date and time of delivery from photo of bag alone), there would be a clear record of that and investigators would have known that early on. More importantly, I don’t imagine a DoorDash driver becoming enraged by some/all of the victims, waiting for everyone to fall asleep and then brutally murdering everyone, especially knowing there’d be an electronic record of him making a delivery there. I suppose I’ve heard of a couple cases of a cab driver murdering someone when they must have known how easily they’d be traced to the victim, but I think those were individual sexual assaults followed by murder, not mass murders. Just seems extremely unlikely to me. JMO.
Interesting - I’ve not seen that pic. You can tell it was delivered?

FWIW, I don’t know how common getting food delivered from Pullman to Moscow is. I can’t think of an instance when we or anyone we know have ever done that.

OTOH, we aren’t college students!

but I've been wondering that did K&M ever eat the food they brought? Did the 2 of them eat it or did all 4 of them hang out together? In what room?

Two of them had takeaway food to eat and the other pair had been on a separate night out, so it's unlikely they went straight to their rooms after arriving home, they likely congregated together to eat and talk for a bit after arriving home.

If the group congregated in the kitchen (very likely IMO), it has no curtain and a large glass door. Behind the house, amongst the foliage, is a good location to watch the kitchen but because of the steep hill its also a good location to see the bedrooms and when they turn off their lights and go to bed.

Due to the surviving roommates already being asleep in their rooms at this point in time (on the other side of the house) and the fact that they were spared, could imply that the perp assumed there were only 4 people in the house and was not familiar with the unusual layout.

This would imply the attack was opportunistic and they may not be very familiar with each other.

First time post .. sorry if this has already been discussed.

Is it possible the killer could have come into the house prior to all six students arriving home? I'm not familiar with all details of the three levels of the house, just thinking there may have been an area on the 3rd floor where someone hid waiting until K and M were in bed asleep.
Many places a perp could hide--furnace/utility room on 1st level, closet or empty bedroom on 2nd level, closet, balcony, or attic on 3rd level.

From the Moscow Police's current/updated site, please see LE's direct response at "Are Detectives Still Seeking Surveillance Video?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggy4