ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First-time-poster here. Not really a true crime junkie or armchair sleuth. Haven't been this interested in an unsolved crime since the initial mystery of the Boston Marathon bombings many years back. Saw the documentary on Patton Oswald's deceased wife awhile back, which left me with a poor impression of amateur sleuthing as something possibly addictive, but something about this Idaho case has drawn me here. Thank you to everyone who has shared information, data, personal experience, etc... This is a really neat community, and the moderators are doing a great job - thanks mods!

I've read through almost every post here about this case, and my personal suspicions have never wandered toward a strong feeling that I really have a sense of who may have done this crime. I think there just isn't enough information available to the general public to get a good sense of what transpired. Take for instance the food truck video. We see a handful of people and anyone can wildly speculate anything about anyone present in that clip. But if instead of that Twitch clip we were presented with a 30-minute clip from the neighbor's Ring camera or a 10-minute clip from the Corner Club I'm sure we would have wildly different suspicions. I just am not seeing enough actual evidence to begin to piece any significant part of this together. The suspect could be a 16-year-old girl or a group of middle-aged men or a serial killer or anything imaginable. No concrete idea from my perspective.

A lot of the same ideas are being treaded on, so I'll try to think of something new to add. Just quickly: Does the use of a knife instead of a gun say anything about the killer's income status or ability to procure a gun? Does not using a gun say anything about the suspicion that there may be a hunting or military background? What does it say about the suspicion that it may be an incel, which we typically have seen use guns and with little or no regard for their own personal outcome?

I have a million other little details bugging me, too many to write into one post. So I'll leave this one as-is for now. Man, this is a disturbing mind-bender and my condolences to any friends or family of the deceased and anyone who has been personally affected. Nothing but love and peace your way from here.
A warm welcome to you.
No idea what factored in choice of weapon because we know nothing.

Axe throwing seems to be a "thing"...Is it the newest??

World Championship will be held Dec 1-4 in Appleton, WI
But this is not endemic to lumberjack regions. There are a bunch of axe throwing events near me and I live in South Texas

Is is because of the proliferation of viking shows?

Who knows??

My company voted on what we wanted our summer social to be and the majority voted for AXE THROWING! I thought they were insane. I didn't know it was a thing, but it is.

Axe throwing seems to be a "thing"...Is it the newest??

World Championship will be held Dec 1-4 in Appleton, WI
But this is not endemic to lumberjack regions. There are a bunch of axe throwing events near me and I live in South Texas

Is is because of the proliferation of viking shows?

Who knows??

It isn't all that new, there are axe-throwing bars, and at arcades there is an axe-throwing game. I've been and it's surprisingly fun, as crazy as it sounds, but makes you incredibly sore (unless you're used to throwing axes from above your head). I noticed it in the PNW a handful of years ago, more recently coming to the South.

Last edited:
The headline of the Fox News article is wildly misleading, to be charitable. This is what they turned into "slain student's father says she had stalker":

"Did [Kaylee] ever talk to you about a potential stalker or somebody that made her uncomfortable?" ABC News reporter Kayna Whitworth asked Kaylee's father, Steven Goncalves, in an interview. "She did," he replied.

NB "or somebody that made her uncomfortable". And while we're at it, "potential" before "stalker".
The thing about any article is that someone different than the person who wrote the article writes the headline. Just something to keep in mind. I wad a journalist earlier in my career and I still have to remind myself of this!

The coverup by the state has begun. If the University had any Title IX or similar content of importance they will surely not help LE. Lawyers are controlling content from the university for self preservation.

What difference does it matter if they were on probation? It seems like a weird attempt at victim shaming to bring it up.

Very interesting report from Fox News hot off the wire that Pi Beta Phi and Alpha Phi, University of Idaho sororities, are on probation for 'violations concerning risk or risk management, alcohol/drugs, or hazing'. Kaylee was in Alpha Phi and Xana and Maddie were in Pi Beta Phi. Not sure if this disciplinary probation started before or after the murders.

University of Idaho holding candlelight vigil to honor 4 students killed​

Nov 30, 2022
The candlelight vigil will be held at the University of Idaho in Moscow on Wednesday, Nov. 30 at 5 p.m. PT/6 p.m. MT.

The headline of the Fox News article is wildly misleading, to be charitable. This is what they turned into "slain student's father says she had stalker":

"Did [Kaylee] ever talk to you about a potential stalker or somebody that made her uncomfortable?" ABC News reporter Kayna Whitworth asked Kaylee's father, Steven Goncalves, in an interview. "She did," he replied.

NB "or somebody that made her uncomfortable". And while we're at it, "potential" before "stalker".
Yes! Also, further down in that article, the dad is asked if he thought K was targeted in the killings, and dad replies, “It’s a fear of mine…” After that he talks about fearing that K being targeted would mean that caused the others to be just casualties (I guess like collateral damage), and he hated thinking that her being targeted was responsible for the other family’s suffering (roughly paraphrased by me). I definitely don’t read it as he knows for a fact that she was targeted, it’s just his fear.

Janitor i feel like they could be older then the group of victims too

Also you said something in thread 4 that really resonated with me " he thinks he is the smartest person in the room wherever he goes. Just some thoughts."

If that's true do you think this person would a have a small circle of friends because they're insufferable and arrogant to be around. Also hold resentment for people who have a large circle of friends and social life's because they're just nice people and don't have to try.

Anyway this person definitely thought they were smart enough to pull this off. Lets hope their arrogance backfires soon.
Sometimes I imagine the lone wolf type who lives by himself or with his mother, and is obsessively watching the latest news on this case with his gun on his lap while stroking his knife. To me, this personality type has low self esteem and operates on the fringes of society, works at menial jobs, and has no wife or girlfriend. He would be the guy at the bar sitting alone quietly sipping his beer and rarely interacting with women mostly because he is intimidated by them. No doubt he has a rich fantasy life and began as a Peeping Tom then graduated to breaking/entering, burglary and finally murder.

Another theory is the pseudo-commando, misogonystic, narcissistic type who has a wife or live-in girlfriend at home who he frequently emotionally and physically abuses, and probably has old charges of assaulting women and/or has domestic violence issues on his rap sheet. He might have a collection of knives and guns and tactical gear of all types. He's an arrogant big-mouth with radical ideas in his politics, and sucks the oxygen out of the room wherever he goes. He's careful, stealthy and methodical in his planning and thinks he could never possibly get caught. If he is ever cornered by LE, he will end it on his terms to maintain that power and control he so desires...like take his own life.

Profiling is just a little hobby of mine. But I'm usually always wrong..so..ha!

Very interesting report from Fox News hot off the wire that Pi Beta Phi and Alpha Phi, University of Idaho sororities, are on probation for 'violations concerning risk or risk management, alcohol/drugs, or hazing'. Kaylee was in Alpha Phi and Xana and Maddie were in Pi Beta Phi. Not sure if this disciplinary probation started before or after the murders.
Do you know which sorority Maizie was in?

First-time-poster here. Not really a true crime junkie or armchair sleuth. Haven't been this interested in an unsolved crime since the initial mystery of the Boston Marathon bombings many years back. Saw the documentary on Patton Oswald's deceased wife awhile back, which left me with a poor impression of amateur sleuthing as something possibly addictive, but something about this Idaho case has drawn me here. Thank you to everyone who has shared information, data, personal experience, etc... This is a really neat community, and the moderators are doing a great job - thanks mods!

I've read through almost every post here about this case, and my personal suspicions have never wandered toward a strong feeling that I really have a sense of who may have done this crime. I think there just isn't enough information available to the general public to get a good sense of what transpired. Take for instance the food truck video. We see a handful of people and anyone can wildly speculate anything about anyone present in that clip. But if instead of that Twitch clip we were presented with a 30-minute clip from the neighbor's Ring camera or a 10-minute clip from the Corner Club I'm sure we would have wildly different suspicions. I just am not seeing enough actual evidence to begin to piece any significant part of this together. The suspect could be a 16-year-old girl or a group of middle-aged men or a serial killer or anything imaginable. No concrete idea from my perspective.

A lot of the same ideas are being treaded on, so I'll try to think of something new to add. Just quickly: Does the use of a knife instead of a gun say anything about the killer's income status or ability to procure a gun? Does not using a gun say anything about the suspicion that there may be a hunting or military background? What does it say about the suspicion that it may be an incel, which we typically have seen use guns and with little or no regard for their own personal outcome?

I have a million other little details bugging me, too many to write into one post. So I'll leave this one as-is for now. Man, this is a disturbing mind-bender and my condolences to any friends or family of the deceased and anyone who has been personally affected. Nothing but love and peace your way from here.

Not using a gun could be indicative of being too young to own a gun or it could be the killer has a sick bias of wanting to see the fear of his victims as he's plunging a huge blade into them. Maybe they're old enough to own a gun but are more thrilled to kill with a knife.

I know this sounds silly but i'll bring this up anyways. I play Call of Duty. It's mostly a gun game but you can be outfitted with a knife as a secondary weapon. Most people on any given map, will use their firearms to dispatch the enemy. But you'll get a few who just run around the map knifing people even though they have a firearm. Some people just prefer knives over guns.

Isn’t it odd that the university is not being investigated? If this was a private business the feds would be tearing it apart. The university is the home of so many different people with diverse backgrounds and capabilities. But LE is not talking about the campus that I know of.
It didn't happen at the University, just to University students who lived off-campus. If I were murdered at home, my workplace wouldn't be investigated (unless something pointed to the killer being related to my job) automatically just because I happened to work there. I am sure LE has looked in to possible ties if their investigation led them there, but the University isn't necessarily directly involved by default. All MOO

The thing about any article is that someone different than the person who wrote the article writes the headline. Just something to keep in mind. I wad a journalist earlier in my career and I still have to remind myself of this!
True, but the first sentence of the article reads

Slain University of Idaho student Kaylee Goncalves told her father she had a stalker, but police have not been able to identify the person, according to a new report.

There is nothing in the rest of the article to support the claim that she told her father this.

I understand the frustration with the fact that LE isn't releasing much at this point. But, in all reality they don't have release anything. To be honest in the way the law works today, the simplest little mistake can set a criminal free. it could anything from a piece of evidence logged incorrectly, to a search warrant being worded wrong, to a witness not properly being questioned, and so on. So I have no problem with them taking the time to get it right.
The other issue I can see is like what happened to a neighbor of the victims after some Reddit members decided the he was the killer, and they did that with the little bit of info LE released. A rush to judgement with out any facts. I do believe they need to be careful and protect integrity of the case. So this idea that since they are not releasing info that they are either not doing their jobs or are involved in some mysterious cover up is unwarranted. I believe they are doing their jobs and are working hard to solve these murders and until somone can show me any different, I will continue to believe that.
I get what your saying and your point is a fair one.

Devils advocate.

If the killer strikes again would that change your opinion any them not arming the public with as much information as they could or what ifb5 year's now we know no more than we do now and the police are continuing to say we just have to trust them?

I think your position is valid to a point but I think there is a line to. I don't know where that line should be drawn but at some point the police need to share more than they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member