ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Entirely my opinion but I suspect a knife similar to this being used..
1. The coroner said it was hard to refer to the wounds as puncture wounds because of how large the knife was
2. It was indicated the killer would be proud of the knife and may have paid money for it
3. Stabbing 4 people multiple times without your hand slipping down on the blade with the volume of blood, whether or not you have gloves on would be nearly impossible - In my opinion, the knife had to have a mechanism that kept it in place, e.g. a handle like most martial arts knives will have.
4. If the killer was skilled with the knife, a martial arts type knife might indicate they had experience in combat sports, thus they were able to kill all 4.
JMO Unless he was wearing cut resistant gloves. Amazon sells some.

tiny helpful bit from this new interview, imo

at around 4 mins into the clip, the nationally renowned expert on knives points out that
- K Bars would not be a hunter's preferred tool ( recall all the news on the knife implying that K Bar meant perp might be a hunter?)
- he used to use his own K Bar for knife-throwing ( recall the link about knife & axe throwing night at the club in Moscow? Not Corner Club, other club)

eta @Hexe and @TheBorez your question about slippage is also answered in the same clip ( check the hilt)

How do we know the perp's hand did not slid down the blade?
This is were presumption comes in. The discussion about the weapon early on by the coroner mentioned the impact bruising on the victims caused by the hilt of the weapon. If the weapon has a hilt/hand guard, there is a presumption of the hand not slipping down to the blade.

Entirely my opinion but I suspect a knife similar to this being used..
1. The coroner said it was hard to refer to the wounds as puncture wounds because of how large the knife was
2. It was indicated the killer would be proud of the knife and may have paid money for it
3. Stabbing 4 people multiple times without your hand slipping down on the blade with the volume of blood, whether or not you have gloves on would be nearly impossible - In my opinion, the knife had to have a mechanism that kept it in place, e.g. a handle like most martial arts knives will have.
4. If the killer was skilled with the knife, a martial arts type knife might indicate they had experience in combat sports, thus they were able to kill all 4.
I have a very goid friend, ex-marine. Large handsome blond blueeyed guy. He had a colourful past, that is as much as i could say. He had a really bad accident years ago, head and brain injury, he has severe seiziers since then, so he left the army, moved to another country. Only us, few of his closest friends, know about his past. But he treasures and never ever parts with his combat knife when he travells. He does not carry it all the time when out in the town, not that much treasuring, thou.

He said that a knife like that could cost several hundred $$$

This is were presumption comes in. The discussion about the weapon early on by the coroner mentioned the impact bruising caused by the hilt of the weapon. If the weapon has a hilt/hand guard, there is a presumption of the hand not slipping down to the blade.
The only mention about bruising I remember is what Xana's father said, that her flesh was bruised, torn by knife, nothing though was said about the bruising coming from the hilt. Can you point me to the article/interview/whatever in which the coroner mentioned the impact bruising from the hilt?

It is kinda strange that there is news of a sixth roommate at this point.
Did they not know there was someone else on the lease until now or were the purposely withholding that info?
I was wondering what “context” this tidbit of information was released in? What it during the “clarification” of targeting?

Timing of releasing this info seems odd IMO. I’m unsure of why they felt the need to release it after 3 weeks? I don’t remember seeing it speculated or rumoured anywhere that there was another roommate we hadn’t heard of, so I’m just not seeing it as LE trying to “clear up a social media rumour” as they have been doing in their updates?

Definitely had not been speculated before, but if a media company had procured a copy of the lease through legal means, then the leasing company may have tipped off LE that something could be getting released.

But that's not forcing someone to leave. Unless the roommate breaks the lease or tenancy agreement, they have legal rights as a tenant.
If the 6th person was forced to move rather than being coerced into breaking their lease, seems like there would have to be an eviction notice and that is issued by a JP court (where I live) and served by the sheriff and/or constable so records could be checked to see if anything like that happened.

If someone is on a lease, who could force them to move out? If they were paying their rent, I'm not sure how roommates could force them out (although I don't know anything about tenancy laws in Idaho).
Former leasing pro here, and I do have experience with student housing. All tenants on a student housing lease generally have to have a co-signer. Sometimes, every individual needs their own co-signer. I've seen it go both ways. Someone can move out if they want to without being forced out with no repercussions EXCEPT that they need to continue to pay their share of the rent until the term of the lease is completed. Every tenant is responsible jointly AND severally, meaning that even if someone skips out, the rent is due in full. Roommates can and have, IME, been crappy to roommates in more ways than I could even begin to name-but my point is that someone doesn't have to leave under bad circumstances to break a lease. If there is a 6th roomie, I'd be very curious to know why they weren't there that particular night. Might be something, might be nothing. We'll see! MOO, JMO.

Definitely had not been speculated before, but if a media company had procured a copy of the lease through legal means, then the leasing company may have tipped off LE that something could be getting released.
Thread one post # 1015... I tried

"Maybe there is a sixth roommate that we don't know about. A black sheep."

The only mention about bruising I remember is what Xana's father said, that her flesh was bruised, torn by knife, nothing though was said about the bruising coming from the hilt. Can you point me to the article/interview/whatever in which the coroner mentioned the impact bruising from the hilt?
It is buried in the article. The coroner is quoted for one thing, and then others ("experts") discuss what the coroner said which is not directly quoted in the article. The discussion refers back to what the coroner released. It was early in the timeline.

This is a perfect example of inference. The discussion refers back to something that was stated clearly by an authority, but by the time the public gets the information we have to infer through what is discussed by the media. I wish they'd have quoted the public authority more deliberately for clarity.

Last edited:
If anyone has any pictures or links...please share.

I believe we've seen pics of LE removing small bags of evidence. Has there been any removal of larger pieces? If the crime scene was as horrible as they say and I believe....no mattresses removed....etc?

Not sure it matters at all..was just on my mind this morning.

How do we know the perp's hand did not slid down the blade?
We don’t, I’m speculating but if the hand did slip down the blade, it would have made killing the 4 much more difficult. (I seen terrorists before who had literally taped their knives to their hands because stabbing multiple people without losing control of the knife would usually require something to keep the knife in place.) imo

I do wonder about the monetary situation of this house. Did the kids or the parents expect to be paying the full annual share regardless of graduation, study abroad etc? Or was this a more fluid situation where sisters or other students moved in and sub-let? In my experience, how it was handled was based on people’s finances and whether or not others could absorb the cost of double paying rent, here and elsewhere.

If someone is on a lease, who could force them to move out? If they were paying their rent, I'm not sure how roommates could force them out (although I don't know anything about tenancy laws in Idaho).
Or WHY would they want to move out?

If the 6th person was forced to move rather than being coerced into breaking their lease, seems like there would have to be an eviction notice and that is issued by a JP court (where I live) and served by the sheriff and/or constable so records could be checked to see if anything like that happened.
An eviction notice would have to be issued to ALL occupants, not just one of them. Here, such a notice would be filed in court and the results of the case would be made available only if eviction was completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member