ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good info, but I fear that in the early days of this case, the "Ka-Bar" misnomer was thrown about all too frequently by inexperienced media members, inferring themselves that the weapon was in fact a Ka-Bar.
PD is essentially saying that the likely murder weapon was a fixed-blade knife, which a Ka-Bar qualifies as, but not all fixed-blade knives qualify as Ka-Bars.

Ka-Bars can be used for hunting, and frankly, hunters are a diverse group of people; anyone with any sort of military/tactical leanings/backgrounds may be even more inclined to use a Ka-Bar for hunting.

Sorry, I didn't view the whole video, but how did this individual infer that the assailant used their weapon for knife-throwing?
bold bit - he didn't say the assailant will have used a ka Bar for knife throwing

regards the rest
in the early days of the investigation, local reporter spoke to the general manager of
Moscow Building Supplyand said that LE stopped by the retailer more than once to ask if they'd recently sold a KA-BAR brand or KA-BAR style knife

the PD is basing this on pathology findings. Posters have already posted multiple links explaining this on the last few pages.

I was feeling the same after the interview with SG yesterday as well. But as a mother of a college student, there is no way, absolutely *NO WAY* I would then mention a person I suspected to be the perpetrator in the obituary that will forever memorialize my child. (Edited for clarity of thought).

My brain does a 180 every day. :)

Yup that’s now why I’m back to thinking it was a stranger/fringe friend, lol.

Kaylee’s dad just did an interview on the today show. Nothing really new or noteworthy. He just stated he doesn’t know how law enforcement can find the criminal if they don’t know who he looks like. Also that the longer this goes on he knows he will have to do more work and can’t just be the “sad father” paraphrasing, that was the gist of it
I also heard this dad during an interview after the vigil that he probably revealed a piece of evidence regarding M and K sharing the same bed the investigators may have wanted to hold back. He's frustrated that they won't tell him directly what to say or what NOT to say. I don't think I've ever seen a case where loved ones intend to solve the case themselves so early after the crime was committed.

Does anyone know where I can find Steve’s interview from yesterday? What network was it on? Thank you!
If, after hearing it, you wish to refer back to it, @Allabouttrial transcribed it, as she graciously does most interviews and press conferences, and it is the most recent transcription posted on the media thread, which has a link attached on the first page of every new thread. The transcription is dated 12/1/2022.

Copying this from late in thread 18.

Kaylee was a member of Alpha Phi sorority and Maddie and Xana were members of Pi Beta Phi. Kayleee and Maddie were best friends since 6th grade, why did they pledge different sororities and why did they drop out last semester of the sororities? Just MO0, not sure if it’s related to the case but it could be. Both sororities are on disciplinary probation

It was probably a healthy thing for them to join separate sororities for their college experience since they were totally bonded and did everything together. It is not uncommon for good friends to join different ones. Also, the rush process can be brutal. They each may not have been accepted into the same sororities.

Dec 2 2022
''Authorities said that so far they have collected "hundreds of pieces of information," which on Wednesday, Nov. 30, they said included more than 113 pieces of physical evidence. Crime scene investigators took "approximately 4,000 photographs" and conducted "multiple" 3-D scans of the home. In total, investigators have processed "over 1,000 total tips and conducted 150 interviews," police said on Nov. 23.

On Nov. 30, authorities moved five cars from the crime scene so that they could continue processing evidence. Earlier in the investigation, they had seized the contents of three dumpsters, but said no useful evidence was found.''

''Mary Ellen O'Toole, who is not part of the investigation, told CBS News it was highly likely the offender left a lot of physical evidence behind and may have even cut themself as they stabbed the victims.

It was likely "a pretty sturdy knife" she said, calling it a "very effective cutting instrument" and one the offender likely had experience using. As a result, O'Toole said, the offender probably would not get rid of the weapon.''

If anyone has any pictures or links...please share.

I believe we've seen pics of LE removing small bags of evidence. Has there been any removal of larger pieces? If the crime scene was as horrible as they say and I believe....no mattresses removed....etc?

Not sure it matters at all..was just on my mind this morning.
Get outta my head! I was thinking about this as I came up on your post. Mainly thinking about entry points. In other cases LE has removed the door or window, frame and all. With a crime scene like this, there would be a fair amount of demolition going on, parts of floors, walls, plumbing, etc. And I doubt the press would miss it. Imo.

Based on my knowledge, crime scene technicians will take hundreds of blood samples where it is evident it is only one isolated drop or otherwise can be seen to be only one individual's blood.

I cannot imaging the murderer did not cut himself although most being asleep or groggy would reduce the chances somewhat.

All they need is one drop of blood that is not one of the 4 victims. Likely they will also have a bloody fingerprint assuming the perpetrator did not wear gloves.

It will take a long time to sort out all of this evidence even if they fast track it thru the lab.

The news is reporting that the police are now saying they stand by their claim that it was targeted but they are not sure if it was a person or the house that was the target.

It's double speak and semantic word games like this that cause me not to trust what the police tell us.

It leaves me feeling like them not being embarrassed is a top priority for them.

Should people who live in split level homes be concerned?

Maybe people who own dogs or people who are right-handed.

The police have broadened the word "target" to mean almost anything. I am losing confidence in them.

I think an important part of your friend's statement is "could" cost.

Increased price can imply rarity and reduce the number of sources as to where such a knife could be obtained. This, in turn, could make local purchases easier to track.

And now, the "could"... Many knives in general, and Ka Bar / Ka Bar like knives in particular can be said to have four general levels:

1. Inexpensive knock off
2. Mid range production
3. Higher end production (usually better fit / finish and better steel than the mid range model. As with say, woman's purses, slapping a prestige brand name on it also increases the cost).
4. Custom made by a knife smith.

In referencing say, the $300.00 possibility, your friend was probably referring to level 3. Purchases of these would be relatively easier to trace as there are fewer manufacturers and also fewer purchasers.

But.... there are alot of mid range Ka Bars, including the "Ka Bar by Ka Bar" variant going for $90.00. I imagine that there would be far more purchasers and thus harder to track.
Just looking at the Ka-bar website, a new USMC style knife is going to run about $200.

There might be lots of DNAs in the house. Finding of any specific "DNA" means the area where it was found has to be tied to murders. The 6the person would not change anything. However, we don't know if DNA was found in this case.
With due respect to you, I kindly tend to disagree. If this person was on the lease and lived at the property they have to be investigared as everyone else who was close friend to the victims, including alibi. They could gave returned to the house at 3 am and murder and then go. Their DNA will be all over the place for a valid reason - they lived there. I am not saying they where a perpetrator, but the work has to be done, and properly, otherwise this investigation will never end.

bold bit - he didn't say the assailant will have used a ka Bar for knife throwing

regards the rest
in the early days of the investigation, local reporter spoke to the general manager of
Moscow Building Supplyand said that LE stopped by the retailer more than once to ask if they'd recently sold a KA-BAR brand or KA-BAR style knife

the PD is basing this on pathology findings. Posters have already posted multiple links explaining this on the last few pages.

Hi, I found this article from fairly early on, quoting Aaron Snell (the Idaho State Police Spokesman) regarding the Ka-Bar :
Idaho State Police spokesperson Aaron Snell told the Statesman on Thursday that detectives visited several local hardware stores that may carry “fixed-blade type knives,” but that they weren’t solely asking about Ka-Bar knives.

Here is that article if you'd like to check it out yourself.

I found this link, the first image shows stab wound made by k bar knife; the red mark next to the wound is the hilt mark left by the knife's hilt which is effectively a bar across the blade dividing blade from the handle. The blade, hilt, handle a made from one piece of steel, as opposite of parts being assembled together. That is why k bar knife is considered to be robust and powerful weapon

From your link. : The force may also cause a bruise to the skin.

Timing of releasing this info seems odd IMO. I’m unsure of why they felt the need to release it after 3 weeks? I don’t remember seeing it speculated or rumoured anywhere that there was another roommate we hadn’t heard of, so I’m just not seeing it as LE trying to “clear up a social media rumour” as they have been doing in their updates?
someone outside LE probably found this out and went to the media or was going to and LE decided to put it out there instead?

I don't see why every person becomes a suspect that's related to the girls, unless there is something supporting it.

The sixth roommate doesn’t strike me as unusual. It could be someone who lives with a boyfriend/girlfriend, who graduated early, or who decided to vacate and simply opted to continue paying to avoid legal issues. Some students need an “on paper” residence if their parents disapprove of, say, residing with a boyfriend/girlfriend, and paying until the lease ends isn’t particularly uncommon.
or who wanted in state tuition

University of Idaho's tuition is $8,396 for in-state and $27,632 for out-of-state students. Compared with the national average cost of in-state tuition of $11,286, University of Idaho is cheaper.

University of Idaho - Tuition and Financial Aid - USNews.com

I find the blade slipping next to impossible if he was actually using a ka-bar knife. The handle itself is specifically made to block your hand from getting anywhere near the blade itself.

from what I understand, its nearly impossible in a violent murder with knives to not be injured. Even the handled kinds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mygalacticmother