ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the very beginning my suspect was that it was a rideshare or false rideshare driver. if that is the case then he is probably unknown to everyone and has no dna. not familial dna in the system and will never be found until he gets caught somewhere else. sad. jfif
Many crimes were solved before DNA was a thing, old fashioned leg work can bring them to suspects and then they can either get DNA voluntarily or surreptitiously, (picking up a discarded straw left behind as an example), and match it to any DNA directly connected to the murders left at the scene.
Just another speculation of how DNA can nail him even if his DNA is not in the system.
LE already have identified the driver the night of the murders and made a statement that they do not believe that person is involved.
I realize you may be referring to rides before that night which can be found through cell phone data and location recovery.
[Edited to add]: if they have a handprint as some media are reporting, that is even simpler to check.

City of Moscow Police
King Road Homicides

1. Who is NOT believed to be involved?
  • Two surviving roommates,
  • Male in the Grub Truck surveillance video,
  • Private party driver who took Kaylee and Madison home on November 13th,
  • The male Kaylee and Madison called numerous times during the early morning hours of November 13th,
  • Any individual at the residence when 911 was called, or
  • The individual on the lease who moved out of the residence before the school year started and was not present at the time of the incident.

Last edited:
Interesting but I think it’s a typo, police say that the four “suspects” were in different places in Moscow that night. Link included plus screenshot from article. Click on the attachment to see that sentence.

Right hand print if made inside house. Left hand print if made on the exterior glass.

At the very end of the Brian Entin video from tonight, after the 3 officials go in the house and close the door, you can see several little pieces of red "evidence tape" on the left side of the door towards the top. I hadn't noticed that before. Potentially someone tried to push the door in? Hmmm

"I just feel like there have been a couple of individuals that were cleared very fast that maybe should not have been," - Kristi Goncalves

“Just because the police say something doesn't necessarily make it true.” - former New York City Police Department Det. Sgt. Joseph Giacalone

“Police can't reign in social media rumors, but they can attempt to control the narrative, the former NYPD detective said”

View attachment 384778

[..]

Mr Kernodle also said that his daughter’s injuries showed how she desperately tried to fight off the person who killed her, as well as her boyfriend and two friends in the horror attack.

“Bruises, torn by the knife. She’s a tough kid,” he told CBS.

He added that he couldn’t understand how the killer gained access to the home.

”Every time you go, you have to go around the house because of the number code so they either knew that or went around and maybe found the slider door open,” Mr Kernodle said. “I think midnight was the last time we heard from her, and she was fine.”

Autopsy findings, released on Thursday, revealed that all four had suffered multiple stab wounds from a large knife.
IMO this leads me to believe that X was targeted and not KG

View attachment 384778

[..]

Mr Kernodle also said that his daughter’s injuries showed how she desperately tried to fight off the person who killed her, as well as her boyfriend and two friends in the horror attack.

“Bruises, torn by the knife. She’s a tough kid,” he told CBS.

He added that he couldn’t understand how the killer gained access to the home.

”Every time you go, you have to go around the house because of the number code so they either knew that or went around and maybe found the slider door open,” Mr Kernodle said. “I think midnight was the last time we heard from her, and she was fine.”

Autopsy findings, released on Thursday, revealed that all four had suffered multiple stab wounds from a large knife.
They seem like an awesome family

Why didn’t the murderer go downstairs? Why upstairs?
I don’t think we know if he did or didn’t go downstairs for a few reasons:

1. It’s possible that the perpetrator wasn’t aware of the downstairs rooms and never went that way or did not have more time to explore the house.

2. It’s possible that he did go downstairs the doors were locked.

3. It’s possible he got spooked and/or ran out of time before he could finish what he started.

4. It’s possible he had no desire to attack the other roommates (I don’t think this is true at all but it’s still a possibility b/c I personally believe that he either didn’t know the rooms were there or their doors were locked).

*It could also be a combination of the above factors, like it’s possible both 2 & 3 are true or 1 & 3 are true, etc…

So, of course all of this is just speculation and deductions based of what we know, which is nothing. I’m sure LE knows the top possibilities to this question, though, which is definitely important to their investigation.

**Edited for clarity

Last edited:
I also think that the mass media attention to this case, along with the websleuthing world being involved makes it less likely for someone to be as brazen as to show up at one or more funerals - especially since it has been reported that the killer would likely do so.

That’s a an entirely different level of brazen (or stupidity)
Amen!

Yes. Very sad. The boyfriends may have the “failed to protect her by being there” guilt, and any innocent roommates will be scarred by Survivor’s Guilt and the feeling of a near- miss, and wondering if someone is still after them. The whole thing is so tragic. So many people are devastated by this. (I almost hate to say that online because of the feeling that the killer will get pleasure from the devastation…)
Maybe not. He/she may have a conscience. I keep thinking “first time” killer.

Lets assume the killer was unaware of the first floor roommates and that is why they were not targeted. That means he must not be familiar with the house. It also means he came from the back and left from the back, never knowing there was another level. If that is the case then it would have to be someone who was either new in town and happened to approach from that direction or he is somewhat familiar with the house but only from the rear. If he was aware of the other roomates on the first floor but decided they live then that is an area to focus. I can’t believe we have not heard much from the student population. Are they under some sort of gag order from the university?
that's a huge assumption, and if this was a well-planned crime, it can't be assumed at all. editing to add that the stairs to the first floor were pretty obvious from the second, too, iirc.

as for the other roommates, would you be chatting up about everything or would you be hiding, terrified, and heartbroken? somehow being the only living witnesses might put me off my game a bit, and the other students would just be gossip/rumor, not direct info.

Last edited:
"I just feel like there have been a couple of individuals that were cleared very fast that maybe should not have been," - Kristi Goncalves

“Just because the police say something doesn't necessarily make it true.” - former New York City Police Department Det. Sgt. Joseph Giacalone

“Police can't reign in social media rumors, but they can attempt to control the narrative, the former NYPD detective said”

They didn’t exactly clear anyone, they said they believe they are not involved at this time. They qualify it every time.
I believe they are trying to control the narrative to stop online sleuths on unmoderated sites from blowing people’s lives apart before they have concrete answers. Jmo

If there was an obvious person(s) of interest and/or suspect, such as someone the victims knew or within 2-3 degrees of their inner circle, or a person seen and identified in some video, that person would likely be in custody by now. Because I'm virtually certain any DNA has been retrieved from the scene, swabbed from anyone fitting that bill, and expedited/compared by now. It doesn't take 3 weeks to process DNA anymore, particularly for high visibility violent crimes and with State and Federal authorities intimately involved.

That's why the more days that go by I lean towards a random serial psychopath.

My opinion.
100% agree. esp given the nature of this crime, the planning, etc.

Could be using torches, blacklights?

Extremely popular with Airbnb and a shared house. No more lost keys, an electronic footprint for homeowner/host, and the code can be changed anytime.
The code can be changed remotely, if the locks have mains el. supply and are linked to the home management app 'smart home' or similar. My friend lives in house where are such locks are fitted. If the owner wants to prevent someone from entering the room or new tenant moves in, they could remotely change the code

I was thinking enter through the window, leave through the kitchen
When I was reading the previous thread last night, I believe a few people posted pictures at night looking into the lit house by media on Fox Digital: There was one picture that caught my attention and made me think exactly what you stated— The picture was of the lighted kitchen and the focus was the counter and kitchen sink area with bowls and dishes… What I also saw in the picture, was potting soil on the counter next to a small upright houseplant beneath the window, left of the sink.

I don’t know if that’s the same widow that has the hand print on it (let us hope that it’s his and he was careless enough to push up on a window to open it with his bare hands — because now that I think about it: it may have been difficult to get traction or a grip to push up the window from the outside with a glove on), but even though the kitchen area was in disarray, the dark black (which would mean the soil wasn’t there long enough to dry out and may have happened when he came in) soil was markedly noticeable next to the plant in front of the kitchen window.

I don’t know why an intruder of this nature would upright a plant that he possibly knocked over (maybe force of habit to clean as a reflex?) while crawling through a window to commit murder, but I think it’s a viable theory of entry, nonetheless.

Interesting. Wonder if there are silent ones. If the house did have these types of locks on the bedroom doors, I wonder why they were changed. Looks like a lot safer setup back then. By the way, I'm intrigued and frightened by your screen name both at the same time. lol. Welcome to WS!
Yes, there are silent ones. There are plenty, some could be opened with fingerprint reader, like smart phones

Long time lurker here. I work in the home security industry in the uk. Most keypad entry systems can be overridden where the control panel is. Usually next to the fuse board. All someone would need to do is drop the power, and the doors will release, as they would in a fire. There’s always a battery back up but again, very easy to override without tools
Whoa….didn’t know that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members