ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO but another reason is just not trusting the police, if someone distrusts the police (which a lot of people do) I can see them not wanting to give dna to the police voluntarily
That's a good point, but again if you have a strong alibi accompanied with DNA to clear your name, it seems worth the "risk" if your and your family's reputations are being dragged through the mud.

Thanks! Wish he'd give his source. Was it LE or the medical examiner??
Journalists never name their sources, as they are protected under the 1st amendment known as the Source Protection or Journalist Privilege: “It prohibits authorities, including the courts, from compelling a journalist to reveal the identity of an anonymous source for a story.”

She said “one person against four” while referring to her sister’s gruesome murder? That makes no sense unless she means
I'm not sure if you meant to finish a thought here, but I agree with the sentiment. What does that even mean if the victims were all asleep or in bed or on different floors? It's not like they were all fighting the perp in the same room, unless that is what actually happened (which would be a major twist... and maybe unlikely given other information from family members and coroner about location of bodies). But yea I thought the sister's comment on that was odd

He could also be referencing the funeral costs. I don't know specifics, but he could have asked to see her prior to them doing what they needed for the funeral. I am sure there would still be some damages visible he could see prior to getting her ready.
I didn't think she had a funeral to get her ready for. I thought she was cremated. JMO

They have a right to procure their own autopsies but not the LE autopsy obtained for the purpose of investigating a murder.
Am I right?
LE autopsy result would be obtained for the purpose of the trial?
I wasn't positive on this so I looked it up.

Latah County Coroner

Copies of Reports

Reports generated by Latah County Coroner´s Office are subject to public view only after the conclusion of the investigation. These reports are available upon written request, and appropriate fees are forwarded. These reports do not include protected health information and reports or documents obtained from other agencies.

-------

I guess what I'm curious to know now is if they mean investigation into cause of death? Or the investigation in it's entirety? That would mean he may have received a copy or he paid for his own but the wording in his statement sounded more on the lines of he paid for the funeral. IMO

Jmo but it makes sense that the dog was hiding under a bed in an empty room, that way it's not closed in anywhere because obviously it would still be in the closed space once police arrived. So likely the dog had access to the areas where the murders happened but dog was found in another room?
And never went in any of the rooms or got blood on it? Maybe. Seems unlikely given the amount of blood that likely was seeping under doorways as well, even if closed. Because the statement said LE had no reason to believe that the dog went into the rooms after the murders after as well, I believe

Slight difference: Apartments are probably more expensive than living in a house.

I lived in a house with my friends because it was cheaper because the way the rent is split. I believe the rent at 1122 King is $2100-$ 2700/6 or $350-$450/month.

The apartments across the street are $695/month for a single bedroom. (I guess two could rent for $350/month)

I know the apartments are kinda shabby looking, but they do afford more privacy
The downside of living in a house is that it can be kinda noisy.
My husband and I moved a lot when we were younger (chasing the money) and were renters. I always felt safer in an apartment rather than a house. I think it was because, even though there's a lot of people around apartment complexes, there are fewer ways to break into an apartment, especially on the upper floors.

That house at 1122 Kings Road was not safe. Too many people in and out and too many ways in and out.

I didn't think she had a funeral to get her ready for. I thought she was cremated. JMO
M&K were cremated. A family member of mine was cremated, and we got a call from the funeral home asking if we wanted to come in and see our loved one before releasing for cremation. I thought it was the weirdest question, considering we had a funeral and had all said our goodbyes earlier in the day.

I think it was based on her comments to friends at one point. Not that there might be an actual stalker. MOO

I say things like this too... "oh my insta stalker", about this girl who knows me who makes like 10 fake accounts a month to creep my instagram.

It's common language these days for teens-40 year olds imo.
Would it be common to share that information with her family?

I know what you're saying, I just don't think "stalker" was used in that context this time. I'm also not saying the alleged "stalker" necessarily had anything to do with the murders.

I wasn't positive on this so I looked it up.

Latah County Coroner

Copies of Reports

Reports generated by Latah County Coroner´s Office are subject to public view only after the conclusion of the investigation. These reports are available upon written request, and appropriate fees are forwarded. These reports do not include protected health information and reports or documents obtained from other agencies.

-------

I guess what I'm curious to know now is if they mean investigation into cause of death? Or the investigation in it's entirety? That would mean he may have received a copy or he paid for his own but the wording in his statement sounded more on the lines of he paid for the funeral. IMO
He received her body, next of kin.
He viewed her body, presumably.
So whereas he won't have information about the internal damage caused by the knife wounds, the succession, force or type or size of knife used, he will be able to see her external wounds. Count them. Know their location etc and his friends who also lost their only child have that opportunity too.
I heard him say he paid for the funeral.
But he was also emotionally highly invested so it's both.
I don't know whether the families conducted their own autopsies or not.

No, 23andme specifically bars anyone but the person whose DNA it is...from submitting. However, if they have a fairly complete sequencing of the DNA, I don't think GEDMatch does.

GEDMatch will almost certain lead to some distant relatives - who might also be in 23andme (because GEDMatch itself doesn't sequence DNA - most people come in with DNA sequenced by Ancestry or 23andme).

23andme uses only its own proprietary saliva sampling kit - not blood, not ever (not set up for it).

Once run through GEDMatch, LE can probably find relatives which may be enough for genealogical research. As that researh progresses, its quite common for distant relatives to be asked to get their DNA sequenced - to get closer and closer to the perp.

23andme would argue strongly in court that someone violating terms of service (in your example, LE) are not entitled to any results. Every person submits for themselves and signs the ToS (which includes info that if compelled in court by warrant or subpoena, 23 will give up your DNA - but not necessarily one's ancestors).

LE could also ask someone who is a relative of a suspect to submit to 23andme, voluntarily share all their results, etc. I would share and don't really understand why someone would not. Of course, I don't have many bio-relatives, most are already dead, and I'm pretty sure neither my kids or grandkids have committed major crimes.
Ok, I see that you are right. I only had a summary of 23andme's T&C. I found a more comprehensive version and it does: explicitly a)forbid law enforcement from using the service for investigative purposes and b)require that any sample submitted be from the submitter or someone for whom they are a legal guardian.

So, last night, a WSer (sorry I've forgotten your name - PLEASE add more to this discussion if you can)...reminded us all of the Danny Rolling case (Gainesville Ripper).

This serial killer (who killed up to 5 people in one setting and over a fairly short period of time, IIRC) did not know his victims and instead apparently looked for situations that met his criteria for easy kills. He admitted later that there was a sexual assault component to some of these killings, but I don't know if that was the case for the 5 students he killed (decapitating only one of them). He had been on a burglary spree.

He used a military style Ka-Bar knife.

His crimes were spaced out, geographically and it took some good noticing by police that the crime in Gainesville was connected to another similar crime in Shreveport. One key part of catching him was that he said "deeply disturbing things" to a woman who invited him over to dinner after meeting him at church. She reported it to police.

After capture, he said his motivation was to "become a Superstar like Ted Bundy."

Author Sondra London wrote a well-researched book about it, The Making of a Serial Killer.

For me, this comprises an entirely different set of scenarios than ones I've posted about earlier. He also made sure his victims were silenced by applying duct tape while they were sleeping and then killing them, IIRC. He took the duct tape with him in most cases and died by lethal injection.
Hi :) yes, it’s me. As I previously stated, his first murders in Gainesville were what reminded me of this particular case because he didn’t know these poor kids at all and broke in while they were sleeping in different areas of the apartment, used duct tape to silence them, used a Ka-Bar knife to murder them, etc…

The very first murders he committed— he killed a family of four In Louisiana and no one knew those cases were connected before he confessed.

He was also an armed bank robber.

His MO was all over the place and maybe because he was also a poly substance user. He was a maniac.

Yes. He was a true predator and I am happy he’s no longer with us.

Here’s his info from the State of Florida:

Last edited:
M&K were cremated. A family member of mine was cremated, and we got a call from the funeral home asking if we wanted to come in and see our loved one before releasing for cremation. I thought it was the weirdest question, considering we had a funeral and had all said our goodbyes earlier in the day.
My father's wishes were to be cremated. I was POA and executrix of his will and handled all the arrangements. A few immediate family members went with me to the funeral home to make arrangements. After making all the arrangements we were asked if we wished to see him, which we did. We were given privacy while doing so. There was probably a similar process for the families of these victims that were cremated.

I wouldn't read too much into grieving parents opinion of the severity. It would be a horrible emotional moment to witness any wounds. If LE did not state the difference in severity, I think it would be hard for a parent to decipher.

It appears that LE isn't relaying all the info as the family is telling it to the press.
BBM: In my opinion, it's the other way around -- the family is telling it to the press because LE isn't relaying all (or any) info to them.

I think you're still wrong so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I take their statement of "To date we have not released any customer information to law enforcement" as pretty clear cut.

Your referenced case of Helen Prusynski was solved via GEDmatch, not 23andMe.
Bringing this forward from thread 3, posted by Oddmomout who is a Verified Forensic Genetic Genealogist

I am a Forensic Analyst and before a case can be considered for Forensic Genetic Genealogy it must meet several criteria. Crucially all investigative leads by Law Enforcement must be exhausted and no hits present for the unknown donor in CODIS. I am assuming that FBI/ISP are currently evaluating the crime scene evidence while simultaneously collecting reference standards to exclude (or include) any potential profiles. If an unknown male or female donor profile is developed and there is NO hit in CODIS for the aforementioned unknown donor(s) and they exhaust all of their investigative leads then this could potentially move to FGG as a "hot case". New evidence would need to be submitted for an FGG profile for sequencing to a 3rd party lab with the turnaround time expected between 5-8 weeks. Once it is released from the lab and uploaded to the genealogical platforms that are available for law enforcement matching (more on that below) a lead (suspect name) can be delivered in as little as 24 hours. It comes down to the strength of the Unknown Donor's matches and the skill of the Forensic Analyst.

Platforms that allow Law Enforcement Matching:
GEDmatch and FTDNA users who have OPTED IN for law enforcement matching can be used in FGG.

Platforms that do NOT participate with FGG or Law Enforcement Matching:
AncestryDNA, 23andMe and MyHeritageDNA

I think I have missed something today, where has it been stated that the “white hoodie guy” from Grub Truck fled the country? I keep seeing mention of this on here, but nothing to prove it. Can someone post a link to that, as I feel this individual’s life is about to be ruined by rumors. My opinion of watching the entire food truck video several times is he was indeed, trying to make sure they were safe. He gave them space. Then they left without acknowledging him, which was off putting. I witnessed a couple other suspicious people in that video too, but I do not think it was any of them. I am also getting the Ted Bundy vibe.
Agreed. And he did NOT, as media keeps saying ‘walk off into the same direction”as them. They clearly go immediate left, and he walks all the way to the corner and turns right.
People on here saying he ran so he did not have to be interviewed— it has been WEEKS. I am sure he was interviewed early on. LE in fact has publicly cleared him. If he fled the country, and they suspected him, we would hear of an international manhunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257