ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Probably an acquaintance, rather than a close friend. Very possibly a frat member. I don't think they would have brought a stranger home.
I wish we could get confirmation on when and where and how the Jack in the Box bag with X's name on it ended up in the house. I keep wondering if they drove to Pullman for the nearest JITB and ran into an acquaintance there. MOO but I feel tightening up the E&X time line will make some of this clearer.

Regarding the car, did police identify the vehicle via CCTV or ring-camera driving into the area prior to the murders, and leaving the area after the murders? If the vehicle was used to commit pre-meditated murder, maybe the licence plates were removed or obscured with snow?

Excellent point - makes a lot of sense (that LE noticed plates were obscured in some way).

This knife attack was to send a message. IMHO

If you put that together with what Otto just posted, it makes sense. Certainly provides a criminal vector that explains quite a bit about this case.

So, are students allowed to take pictures at their frat and sorority house parties?

Good question. Some members discourage it as it could be used against them if the gathering could violate fraternity or university rules— e.g. unregistered parties. For just a typical low key gathering, probably people aren’t taking pics. One question is, was something special happening that evening at Sigma Chi? Were members sending invites to people? Or was it just a low key evening? If it was an event, then I bet people were taking pics, snapchats, etc.

Excellent point - makes a lot of sense (that LE noticed plates were obscured in some way).

If you put that together with what Otto just posted, it makes sense. Certainly provides a criminal vector that explains quite a bit about this case.

I'm guessing the request by local police for external residential security cameras has picked up the vehicle on footage

While it seems like they are fishing for more information, part of me can't help but think LE is releasing this information with intent. The car is being used to "turn the screws" on someone who may have gone off the map, and they are hoping for a slip up and for them to resurface. (i.e. nervous criminals become "caught" criminals)

I apologize in advance for the incoming long post. I was listening to a podcast today (True Crime Garage: Idaho College Murders) and they shared the arrival times that have been shared by other sources & throughout the threads. However, it got me thinking.

If I remember correctly, X & E returned home at 1:45am and K & M returned home at 1:56am. If I’m walking in around the same times as my friends (and with food), then I’m probably staying up for a bit eating, chatting, laughing, etc. The murders happen sometime between 3am & 4am. This is where I get stuck.

Part of me thinks that the killer had to have followed them home and sat outside watching & waiting for them to fall asleep. But, then I think that maybe it was completely random and the killer had no idea about the movements of the people inside that night. It’s just my opinion that one hour is a very small window of opportunity to commit 4 gruesome murders.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but the photo of the house where you can see blood on the foundations… what part of the house is that? I can only see zoomed in photos.

<modsnip - no link from an approved source> Thankyou.

Are Homeland security checking database

LE has asked for info about X&E’s whereabouts on the night in question. I know they can trace their phones & ping them off of towers & get a general area, but couldn’t they also use an iwatch or fitbit style tracker if they had one? Would this give them a more precise location? Of course the point is moot if they didn’t have the technology. JMHO
Unsure about Fitbit. But Apple Watches do ping towers just like an iPhone. But the device must be charged and location services must be enabled. Like you said this does not give one an exact location but would provide the cell tower location that was pinged. Hope this helps

While it seems like they are fishing for more information, part of me can't help but think LE is releasing this information with intent. The car is being used to "turn the screws" on someone who may have gone off the map, and they are hoping for a slip up and for them to resurface. (i.e. nervous criminals become "caught" criminals)
I have been wondered the same thing. The release is very careful to not sound too accusatory. I wonder if they know more about it than they're letting on and are gauging how the person with the car responds. Of course it's possible they really don't know and are trying not to spook someone who may just genuinely be a witness. MOO

For anyone trying to keep caught up on this case, please take advantage of the 'MEDIA THREAD/NO DISCUSSION' Thread. It is basically a historical library of MSM articles, reporters Tweets, LE press releases, and other information important to this case.

The MEDIA THREAD/NO DISCUSSION is always linked in post #1 of every thread.

Let's especially thank the members that have posted and kept this resource current and available to us!
@margarita25 @wnk @Seattle1 @Allabouttrial as well as many others.

Thank you:)
Also adding to thank.
@Sunny Texas @Ghostwheel @greenpalm @AngTxGal @BeSweets @Janeumayer @Ur728 @steeltowngirl
Forgive me if I have forgotten anyone.

I just can’t see grudge for jealousy’s sake killing four people. This has to be a wannabe serial or spree killer. has to be.
Idk! I go back y forth about several different aspects of this sad case.
When I first mentioned it to my son, who is the age of the students, he said “Sounds like revenge.” Definite anger issues.

***Moscow Police are Asking for the Community’s Help***

MOSCOW, Idaho – Detectives are interested in speaking with the occupant(s) of a white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra, with an unknown license plate.

Tips and leads have led investigators to look for additional information about a vehicle being in the immediate area of the King Street residence during the early morning hours of November 13th.

Investigators believe the occupant(s) of this vehicle may have critical information to share regarding this case.

If you know of or own a vehicle matching this description, or know of anyone who may have been driving this vehicle on the days preceding or the day of the murders

All Press Releases and information related to this case are available at: King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID

I wish we could get confirmation on when and where and how the Jack in the Box bag with X's name on it ended up in the house. I keep wondering if they drove to Pullman for the nearest JITB and ran into an acquaintance there. MOO but I feel tightening up the E&X time line will make some of this clearer.
I think the JITB bag is irrelevant. From my recollection, it had a receipt on it, which would have had a date. If the date was the night of the murders, the police would have taken it for evidence. They did not appear to.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but the photo of the house where you can see blood on the foundations… what part of the house is that? I can only see zoomed in photos.

2nd floor.
Xana Kernodle’s bedroom. To the left of the kitchen space and slider.
The house layout online indicates that wall would not be sufficiently long enough for a full size headboard or larger to be against it comfortably. For that much blood to make its way through an outer wall, which still baffles me, I would think both bodies would need to be placed there or end up closely against that wall at the time of incapacitation.

In my experience, the police most certainly do release info in hopes of rattling the perp. But they generally do not do that unless they have them in their sights. They'll watch to see if it makes them squirm and hopefully make a careless mistake that can be used as evidence. And yes, the perp knows what LE is doing - but it works anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState