ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1670552546354.png
''Detectives are looking for context to the events and people involved in these murders. To assist with the ongoing investigation, any odd or out-of-the-ordinary events that took place should be reported. Our focus is the investigation, not the activities. Your information, whether you believe it is significant or not, might be the piece of the puzzle that helps investigators solve these murders.

UPDATE​

(December 8, 2022)
Due to the volume of calls with tips and leads coming in about the request for information about a white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra, the Tip Line is now directed to an FBI call center. The global call center has the resources to take those calls, categorize them, and send them on to investigators so they can utilize those tips in the investigation.
Please be aware that this new call process takes patience on behalf of the caller, and there are some prompts to follow. Remember, your tip may be the key to solving this case.
Watch an interview with Moscow Police Chief James Fry released today for media and public use on the Moscow Police YouTube Channel.
As previously reported, detectives are interested in speaking with the occupant(s) of a white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra, with an unknown license plate. Tips and leads have led investigators to look for additional information about a vehicle being in the immediate area of the King Street residence during the early morning hours of November 13th. Investigators believe the occupant(s) of this vehicle may have critical information to share regarding this case.
If you know of or own a vehicle matching this description, or know of anyone who may have been driving this vehicle on the days preceding or the day of the murders, please forward that information to the Tip Line.
Information can be submitted:
• Tip Line: 208-883-7180
• Email: tipline@ci.moscow.id.us
• Digital Media: fbi.gov/moscowidaho
Also, there has been extensive media interest regarding an incident at Taylor Avenue and Band Field on November 13, 2022, at 3:01 a.m. This incident was an alcohol offense which was addressed by the on-scene officer. This call is not related to the murder investigations.
Investigators working on the current homicide case are aware of the body camera footage. They have reviewed it and all the details associated with it and have determined it is not related.
At this time, no suspect has been identified and only vetted information that does not hinder the investigation will be released to the public. We encourage referencing official releases for accurate information and updated progress. All Press Releases and information related to this case are available at: https://www.ci.moscow.id.us/1064/King-Street-Homicide.
###

I went back to the very first press release from Nov 18th which stated the information below. I would like to note that this is the FIRST thing LE asked the public for in this investigation. Not for info about X and E whereabouts, not for info about M and K’s night out, nothing about the grub truck but for this :

“Moscow Detectives are seeking help from residents and businesses within the area of West Taylor Ave (north boundary), West Palouse River Dr (south boundary), Highway 95 south to the 2700 block of Highway 95 S (east boundary), and Arboretum & Botanical Garden (west boundary) who have video surveillance at their residence or business between 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. on Sunday, November 13, 2022. Detectives are requesting all available video – whether there appears to be motion and content or not.”

Again with the tight time frame and specific areas listed , this leads me to believe that they learned about this car VERY early on.

And that for whatever reason , they have not, within the last 3 weeks, been able to nail down who’s car this was.
Ok i’m replying to my own post here with a question for you all….

Let’s talk about what clues could have been found in victim’s phones(text messages/calls/Snapchat messages) that are related to the above areas of interest LE Is looking for camera footage for.

Could have one of the victims been texting or communicating with someone (within the weeks/months) prior to the murders who indicated that they lived in/or were coming from one of these areas?

Possibly from a burner phone or, more likely , Snapchat account or something similar that they can not identity who it is? Could the reason LE looking for surveillance from these areas is because they found something in one of the victims phones that indicated they were communicating with someone from those areas? And then the car kinda lined up with this?

In St. Louis,MO, a combined total of 2,701 Hyundai’s and Kia’s have been stolen as of October this year.
Those cars so often stolen are from model year 2015-2019+. It's been caused by a vulnerability in these model's designs.

The Hyundai LE is looking for is from model year 2011-2013.

JMO

Last edited:
I went back to the very first press release from Nov 18th which stated the information below. I would like to note that this is the FIRST thing LE asked the public for in this investigation. Not for info about X and E whereabouts, not for info about M and K’s night out, nothing about the grub truck but for this :

“Moscow Detectives are seeking help from residents and businesses within the area of West Taylor Ave (north boundary), West Palouse River Dr (south boundary), Highway 95 south to the 2700 block of Highway 95 S (east boundary), and Arboretum & Botanical Garden (west boundary) who have video surveillance at their residence or business between 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. on Sunday, November 13, 2022. Detectives are requesting all available video – whether there appears to be motion and content or not.”

Again with the tight time frame and specific areas listed , this leads me to believe that they learned about this car VERY early on.

And that for whatever reason , they have not, within the last 3 weeks, been able to nail down who’s car this was.
I would think this is proforma in any case where they have a nasty multiple crime and not an immediate suspect. They would be asking anyone for video or stills and looking for anyone walking, biking or driving on adjacent area during time around crime.
My moderate to high crime US city has police requests at least once a month or more for video or stills at a given time frame for serious violent crimes. And, here at least, if you got your cameras with a city rebate/grant you are on a list where you get requests more often even for moderate property crime

Last edited:
"They" is what most of us would say when referring to an unknown person or persons. I don't find it meaningful in any way. Same for "individuals."

The official news releases, which are more likely to use careful language, continue to say "detectives are interested in speaking with the occupant(s)", meaning police do not know whether one or more individuals were inside the car.

It also tells us nothing about whether there was more than one killer (zero chance, in my opinion), because for all we know the occupant(s) may only be potential witnesses.
I think the Hyundai "has knowledge" because who on earth would wake up in Idaho on NOV 13 or 14 around UI and not know what was going on? U would instantly know you were near there and tell police. This person was around the area and didn’t come forward is telling imo. I know the house next door to 1122 has a camera and its situated in a nice spot to catch a car turning which is perhaps why LE were able to specify from the 2011-13 Elantra to the facelift 2014.

Also @10ofRods and @OckhamsRazor22 , I completely buy into the fantasy love story, but why oh why did they not assault the object of their desires when they could get them alone? Does this desire overtake them so profoundly that they have to act that very moment despite the obstacles, (other roommates), in their way?

Hi @OldCop, the OP’s will surely offer better responses than I will, but my thoughts are that the intimacy stalker may view others surrounding their target as threats. In their warped mind, they think close friends or family of their target are preventing him or her from gaining access to their “love interest.” May even believe other friends have talked the target out of returning the “love” and attention. They become enraged by the rejection, and violent against anyone who assisted the rejection.

jmo

Yes. I agree. In the examples I gave earlier I was thinking this same thing, but forgot to add it.

It seems IMO that someone who believes that not only should he have a bonded relationship with a targeted person, but that they are in effect DESTINED to be together, may respond in one of several ways after he has decided to enact retribution on his target.

One scenario is that the murderer believes that his desired person WOULD have been together with him, but had been thwarted by the close friends and/or family of the target. Then those people become obstacles to gaining the affection and/or attention and must be disposed of, in order for the DESTINED and PRE-ORDAINED relationship to flourish (in his mind only, of course).

In this case, IMO he would kill anyone who was an obstacle and then kidnap his target, such as Jayme Closs and this recent tragedy of the Winek family.

That did not happen here, which is why I think that the object of the fantasy, whichever girl it was, had reacted to him in a way that was intolerable to him. Whether he was ignored, rebuffed gently or rejected completely, he now had an insatiable “need” to kill her. A mission that must be fulfilled. And since he believed that it was NATURAL and ORDAINED that they must be together, it HAD to have been the influence of her circle that thwarted their relationship. Whether romantic/sexual, or an idolizing of the person, everyone involved had to die.

This is my likely theory, although my theories fluctuate and I know it may be something entirely different, like the thrill killer with an opportunity.

In the "Practical Homicide Investigation: Field Guide and Checklist" manual that the LE and FBI use:

>□ Examine the vehicle’s navigation system (Global Positioning System, or GPS), if so equipped, for:

>□ Recent travel

>□ Home location

>□ Favorite destinations

>□ Recent locations traveled

>□ If the device is an in-dash navigation system (GPS), it is often best to seize the entire vehicle rather than attempt to remove the GPS from the dashboard.

Earlier this week, the cars were seized, so I'm making a guess, this was to study the GPS data of the cars of the victims. I'm guessing they were able to track some CCTV of where one of the vehicles was, and a white Elantra was seen having some interaction, or witnessing some interaction.

So it's just a case of wanting to speak to the Elantra driver if they witnessed something that was seen on the CCTV etc

People have been complaining that there's a gap in the timeline for two of the people? Maybe they drove someplace, even if it was a short stop to go some place, like a beer run or something.

Just it is interesting the timeline of this Elantra press release, right after seizing the vehicles.

<modsnip - if you have concerns or questions about moderation, discuss it privately with admin.>

Last edited by a moderator:
The Moscow Police Department is utilizing assistance from the Idaho State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office. Assigned resources vary based on the current needs of the investigation. These numbers are approximated and do not reflect additional off-site personnel or other assistance provided.

Moscow Police Department:​

• 6 Detectives
  • 5 Support Staff

Federal Bureau of Investigation:​

• 46 investigators located in Moscow & throughout the United States
  • 2 Behavior Analysis Unit investigators

Idaho State Police:​

• 13 investigators in Moscow
  • 15 uniformed troopers assisting with community patrols
  • Communications Team
  • ISP Forensics Services

Washington? Hmmm. JMO
JMO, but I don't think the fact that one of the investigators is from Washington state has any significance, since my understanding is that the border is very close to Moscow, Idaho. I would assume that regional FBI and other LE could live across the state border, but don't think it necessarily has any significance to the case. They could even be drawing upon FBI investigators from across state lines but that have close proximity to Moscow.

In the "Practical Homicide Investigation: Field Guide and Checklist" manual that the LE and FBI use:

>□ Examine the vehicle’s navigation system (Global Positioning System, or GPS), if so equipped, for:

>□ Recent travel

>□ Home location

>□ Favorite destinations

>□ Recent locations traveled

>□ If the device is an in-dash navigation system (GPS), it is often best to seize the entire vehicle rather than attempt to remove the GPS from the dashboard.

Earlier this week, the cars were seized, so I'm making a guess, this was to study the GPS data of the cars of the victims. I'm guessing they were able to track some CCTV of where one of the vehicles was, and a white Elantra was seen having some interaction, or witnessing some interaction.

So it's just a case of wanting to speak to the Elantra driver if they witnessed something that was seen on the CCTV etc

People have been complaining that there's a gap in the timeline for two of the people? Maybe they drove someplace, even if it was a short stop to go some place, like a beer run or something.

Just it is interesting the timeline of this Elantra press release, right after seizing the vehicles.

There is no longer a gap as per newscasts today. X and E were at frat house all night. The Elantra was seen either by witnesses or by cams, we don’t know, near the house around the time of the murders and potentially in the days before the murders as well.

Those cars so often stolen are from model year 2015-2019. It's been caused by a vulnerability in these model's designs.

The Hyundai LE is looking for is from model year 2011-2013.

JMO
Some is vulnerability, but if you notice almost none of the tables on which models are stolen include the relative number of models on the road. I've seen lots charts of "which vehicles are stolen the most" and they do not give relative numbers on road.

So some trends vis a vis models have to do with marketability of parts, some the relative number on the road, and some are about vulnerability

How many out of state 2011-2013 white Hyundai Elantras drove back home after their parents pulled them out of UI?

"Individuals." Ok. More than one perp or a fib by LE to fool the lone perp? Methinks the latter.

Yes, the officer giving the interview is relieved. The FBI took the tip-line duty which means less man hours and stress on the Moscow department, but mostly because a lone perp drives the Hyundai.

Wrinkled nose theory: they know.

I think the perps would have fled to Canada by now if that was their plan originally. So LE would be a little late to the border game. Therefore they must believe that the perps now think LE is on to them and may now flee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257