ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The amount of Federal agents on this case, has me thinking.... I really don't recall so many Federal agents on most other murder cases. Thoughts?
I can understand it.

This is a mass murder.

Normally peaceful town that just doesn't have stuff like this happen.

I think they just need the extra manpower and expertise.

JMO

TRANSCRIPT OF BRIEF INTERVIEW WITH CHIEF FRY

(Commencement weekend)

10TH DECEMBER.

Reporter - Tell us about the weekend - so many people in town. What's happening as far as public safety during this time?.

Chief - Yes, it's a very important weekend for the University. It's our commencement weekend and we're going to have a lot of officers around. We're going to have a lot of Idaho State Police around. You'll see us both, at the commencement, as well as just around town, providing safety.

Reporter - Where are we at in the investigation right now?.

Chief - Well, we're working steady on the investigation, still. We're still receiving tips, we're still receiving items in from down at the lab. Things are continuing, were still pushing forward, and it's.. we're in the normal process of investigation. We're still doing a lot of interviews and I'm talking to a lot of people.

Reporter - What about the number of people involved, at this point?.

Chief - We still have the same amount of staff, Idaho State Patrol, our local Moscow Police Department Detectives and FBI, not only here locally, but still across our nation, across our state.

Last edited:
How about “lock your doors”? Why travel in pairs? Maybe just because that is common safety knowledge and they still believe targeted.
I feel like they're kind of at a loss for what to say to not fall victim because these victims did everything "right" to protect themselves.
IMO

I wish a reporter would ask if they want to know if you own an Elantra fitting their description in Florida or New York, etc.? And do they mean for people to report “every” car fitting their description across the US and Canada?
They want to hear from people who own or were riding in the white Hyundai that was seen in the area of the murder. If you live elsewhere and your car has not been stolen, I don't think they want to hear from you. Edit - missing word

Just wanted to thank you for your amazing post on neighbor wars (last thread). I wish you would repost it here near the top of this one. It adds an angle to this crime that is worthy of consideration, truly.
Was it you who posted about door wedges being the number one recommended safety device (to prevent home intrusion)?

I just want to thank you or the person that posted that advice. I didn’t know it, hadn’t considered it but now I’m looking at the options for my doors and windows. It’s very simple and inexpensive.

Completely agree with this. As I posted before, my questions are:

1) What exactly made them think it’s a Ka-Bar. Are they just using that as a general for “long, relatively thin knife,” or was there more specific evidence, like a sheath, something specific in the patterns of the wounds indicating the shape of a quillion/guard, etc.
2) Then, Ka-Bar is a brand, not a model. Assuming they do literally mean a Ka-Bar brand knife, is it necessarily the USMC Fighting Knife most associate with the brand, or perhaps some of the many other knives that company produces, largely for outdoor uses.
3) Finally, if they do in fact mean the classic USMC as most seem to be presuming, why did the individual own it? I read a lot of comments from people thinking it indicates someone with military training, or just a generally violent intention in owning it. But, as an Idahoan and lifelong outdoorsman, I see that knife differently. It’s a very common sort of camping/outdoor knife that people are drawn to before moving on to tools better-suited to camp activities (such as a Ka-Bar Becker I suppose). I personally have two of them for exactly those uses.

Given where this occurred, which is close to my own home town, to me that knife just says someone into the outdoors and likely some backcountry camping. And depending on the age, may even be into what they now call "bushcraft," which is pretty much wilderness survival skills-building. People are into that here.

Just my opinion, but realized I do have a different perspective on what owning a Ka-Bar in Idaho likely implies and thought it worth sharing!

I don't think we know the answers to most of your question (whether an actual Ka-Bar or a similar knife). The bruises described on K's body may be the evidence of the hilt, which can give an idea as to the model or even brand of the knife - whether that's been forensically determined or is a working guess, we don't know.

I agree that many people have such knives. There are lots of reasons to get a knife with a hilt. We have no clue what size this one was. We have two hunting knives, too (carried in our cars, for various reasons, but used when camping). Ours are the camping style, not with hilt, but outdoors people often have both.

I don't think that knife means "military training" at all. There's a knife and outdoor ax subculture in Moscow (and the Western US in general, if you ask me), so lots of people have those weapons (we do; the ax is crucial to our camping experiences, and it's also fun to try and throw it at a target). A former Marine was posting on a prior thread about actual Marine training with that knife - and they were not taught to use a stabbing motion nor did they practice on prone individuals.

That knife, when located, will be a crucial clue in this case. I sure hope it's not under water by now.

Wait... don't travel in pairs!! That's when he attacks. (Sorry)
Actually, I think you’re on to something there. I tend to think the house was the target. Someone earlier astutely referred to it as a “fishbowl.”

The occupants who were killed were sharing a room with someone that night, and those who were spared were not. My own opinion is that the bedrooms with the victims were unlocked, while the bedrooms with the survivors were locked prior to the attack. Possibly, the companions in the rooms were the last to enter and did not lock the doors, even if that might have been a regular practice for the primary occupants.

Like some others, I wonder whether this murderer had entered the house on other occasions unbeknownst to the occupants. And on this night, some of the bedroom doors were unlocked.

MOO

Nothing huge here, again about M and K. They left the bar and walked to the food truck, I believe it was Brian E that showed the scene. So that was a little bit of walk.
Wouldn't that draw attention? I think that probably was why the guy with the white
hoodie was around. He probably walked the girls from the bar to the food truck. If you are being driven around town b/c you are having a night out on the town, why would you
walk in the middle of the night to a food truck?
In my opinion they planned to call Sorority's designated driver to go home but they wanted food. They planned to walk a few blocks to food truck and would have driver meet them at the truck rather than wait for designated driver at the bar and make the driver wait for their food to be ready.

Was it you who posted about door wedges being the number one recommended safety device (to prevent home intrusion)?

I just want to thank you or the person that posted that advice. I didn’t know it, hadn’t considered it but now I’m looking at the options for my doors and windows. It’s very simple and inexpensive.
I have no financial interest am just old plumber who found this security system that speaks for itself. research this. May buy for 3 kids and self and pop the $100 a month each for monitoring...https://www.deepsentinel.com/

Last edited:
I can understand it.

This is a mass murder.

Normally peaceful town that just doesn't have stuff like this happen.

I think they just need the extra manpower and expertise.

JMO
Makes me think it's a serial killer. There have been other murders of four in small towns without this much help. Or could be the piwerful university being adjacent to this murder.

Missed one from yesterday!

TRANSCRIPT OF BRIEF INTERVIEW WITH CHIEF FRY

(White car and harassment)

9TH DECEMBER.

Reporter - We'll start with the white car. How many tips are coming in?, and, How are police using them?.

Chief - We've had an amazing amount of tips come in on the white car. We appreciate everybody's help that has been sending in those tips and investigators are vetting those and they're following up on those and the response has been very great. We appreciate all the help from across the nation, and our community.

Reporter - In some cases we're hearing that people are borderline being harassed by speculation and rumours out there. What are police doing about that?.

Chief - Well, what we want people to know is, is that individuals who are being harassed in this situation - people need to be careful, because some of its happening online, some of its happening through phone calls and in person and people could be charged, possibly, in the future if it continues to a point where it reaches a criminal element.

Reporter - What can people do to help that situation?.

Chief - I think number 1, just call us anytime that there's any of that happening, so that we can deal with that immediately.

Reporter - And what about the information - What is being done to make sure the information that is out there is not causing speculation and rumours?.

Chief - You know, there's been a lot of speculation and rumours and what we want to say is, we're the official source of information. We want people to pay attention to what we're putting out there, because that is accurate information and anything that comes from other sources, is either rumour or speculation and we want to put and end to that as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Link to the 9:30 a.m. (Moscow, Idaho time) Winter Commencement Ceremony at the U of I today, another will be held at 2 p.m. for additional colleges.

Wonder if they will mention Kaylee at the morning ceremony for the conferral of a posthumous degree. I think she was in the College of Arts and Letters based on her major in General Studies, so it would be this morning's ceremony if it occurs.

Makes me think it's a serial killer. There have been other murders of four in small towns without this much help. Or could be the piwerful university being adjacent to this murder.

The University of Virginia murders which happened the same day were solved quickly - so no big opportunity for FBI.

Moscow ID's two closest FBI offices are in Washington State (field offices, not regional office). The regional office in Boise is further away, but is obviously involved. This is a great training opportunity for everyone. There are technologies and processes at play that have new elements to them, new protocols, but are rarely put in use IRL. This is that opportunity.

I agree that they are definitely viewing this as a mass murder (under federal guidelines) but also must be uneasy about whether this is going to be a BTK or Rollings type situation.

A lot of the FBI are likely engaged in the digital forensics, which are probably complex in this case. They are likely also the team who collected samples for touch DNA, which would then likely be processed by the FBI labs. I sure do hope that the Coroner had contact with the FBI before the autopsy, as the ways of preserving possible evidence of the murderer's DNA (on the bodies) need to be followed, especially as two bodies were then cremated.

Another odd aspect is the apparent BOLO for the Elantra, in which Canada was advised to watch its borders for such a car. I have no clue if this is standard procedure, but it seems to me that someone has discovered something specific about that Elantra and its relationship to the crime. Are there wiretaps, I wonder? I think that's FBI work, if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member