ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idaho murder victim's family hires local attorney amid frustrations with police probe

Kaylee Goncalves' parents hunt for answers 3 weeks after college student slayings

FIRST ON FOX: The father of Idaho victim Kaylee Goncalves has hired a local attorney amid a souring relationship with police and concerns over missteps in the quadruple homicide probe.

The family recently retained Shanon Gray, of Gray Law Criminal Defense, whose cases have ranged from kidnappings to drunken driving arrests.

Gray, who began his career as a prosecutor in the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office, recently moved from Portland, Oregon, to Moscow, Idaho, Kaylee's father Steve Goncalves told Fox News Digital.
I hope his attorney won’t take advantage of him for various reasons. That’s all I’m gonna say.

I've wondered if maybe whoever did this was not familiar with whose bedrooms were whose, but E and/or X was the target. If they entered through the sliding doors in the kitchen, the first thing they would come to is the spare bedroom and the stairs. Checking the spare bedroom and seeing no one was in it, maybe then went upstairs looking for E & X. They then checked the upstairs bedrooms and, if K & M were in the same bed, perhaps made the assumption in the dark that it was E & X, so attacked them before realizing it was not the intended target(s). Then after realizing this, went back down the stairs to find the correct bedroom. Then once E & X had been killed, left and no need to explore further downstairs, thus sparing the first floor roommates.
or maybe K was never supposed to be part of the plan. Her Subaru was not there and maybe he(they) went upstairs for M. Impossible for SG to know

Correct. For prosecution and conviction you would need “all the things.” But to get to that point you have to begin with a suspect, and all we know (although LE likely has more) is that he possibly drives a white Elantra and would likely have been in hand to hand combat with X and E.
Of course, those scratches and bruises are probably all healed now.
Wouldn't you love to know what the bartender observed during those hours that K and M were at the Corner Club? Particularly if he knew the two girls personally and they were, in fact, regular patrons of the bar. Bartenders tend to know the regulars on sight as well as those individuals who might stick out because they are strangers or only occasional patrons at the bar. I don't think the girls were drugged there, but the bartender might have noticed someone behaving in an odd manner or paying unwanted attention to the girls. He might even given detectives a general description of a couple of guys who were seen trying to engage the girls in conversation or following them around in the bar. Maybe a white Elantra was captured on CCTV in the parking lot?

I think its admirable that no information has been released about their trip to the club although someone here said one of the bar patrons gave an interview to the media. Anyone have a link to that interview?

I think Ockham's Razor can be thrown out the window on this one. When 10 different people have ten different ideas as to what the simplest theory is, there is none. JMO

Though I shouldn't, I keep going back to Danny Rollins and the Gainesville killings. Not the same, but similar. Showing lots of rage, some victims harmed more than others, yet Rollins didn't know any of them. None were really "targeted".

Someone from the area who was hanging out, being a Peeping Tom, probably at more than one residence of young women. Possibly an "incel" with antipathy towards women due to rejection.

Does anyone know how long K had been out of the murder house? I believe she was at home working on an internship? Was the internship in her hometown? remote? I know her future job was in TX but I’m just wondering why she wasn’t in Moscow full time.
Her mother said she had been visiting home for a week and a half, then drove to Moscow on Friday with the intention of returning home again the following Tuesday. Said she wanted to show Maddie her new car. Also mentioned she would be attending an event (possibly Pi Phi, I don’t recall).

JMO

The weapon of choice may have been chosen because the killer desired stealth. He could have went in guns blazing but this would completely compromise the element of surprise thus alerting the occupants of the house to take up defensive positions. Thus making his spree much more difficult. The noise from a firearm would also likely wake up neighbors. Possibly call the police. Making escape much more difficult.

No gun expert here- would a silencer totally silence a gun? It would seem quicker and less risk of getting caught?

Wouldn't you love to know what the bartender observed during those hours that K and M were at the Corner Club? Particularly if he knew the two girls personally and they were, in fact, regular patrons of the bar. Bartenders tend to know the regulars on sight as well as those individuals who might stick out because they are strangers or only occasional patrons at the bar. I don't think the girls were drugged there, but the bartender might have noticed someone behaving in an odd manner or paying unwanted attention to the girls. He might even given detectives a general description of a couple of guys who were seen trying to engage the girls in conversation or following them around in the bar. Maybe a white Elantra was captured on CCTV in the parking lot?

I think its admirable that no information has been released about their trip to the club although someone here said one of the bar patrons gave an interview to the media. Anyone have a link to that interview?
(JV) was also there and said that the women were catching the attention of many of the men at the bar.

'A lot of guys were talking to them at the Corner Club,' he told DailyMail.com, adding that Goncalves was visibly drunk. 'The taller girl with the pink on, she was glass-eyed. I audibly said "Eww' out loud." She was just stumbling through.'

Yes! He is looking at it with an abundance of love and attention focused on his child. My dad would say the same: “oh, MY daughter was the best one, if someone had a crush on one, it would be MY daughter, My daughter is most interesting…” Of course, my dad would also be saying the opposite at the same tim: “My daughter is the kindest, sweetest,BEST, faultless! no one could want to hurt MY daughter.” His perspective is colored by his love for her.

i have long thought that the fact that LE keep wanting info on frat party and X&E whereabouts show the the police do not in fact think K was the main target. But of course, this is my opinion, and I don’t know.
To me the fact that even if you are targeting the Girls upstairs you still have to come to the second floor to go in and/or out. There is no reason to go to the third floor unless its to interact/attack the people up there. This suggests the target was one of the upstairs girls. Its is far from certain just my current thinking.

I am so stuck on this

Press release from Nov 14: (day after murders)
The Moscow Police does not believe there is an ongoing community risk based on information gathered during the preliminary investigation.

Press release from December 12:
Regarding the safety of the public, police recommendations for safety measures are good reminders in general, and in light of what has happened in this community. These reminders are not an indication of a specific or elevated risk to the community.

What information could they have learned so quickly after the murders that could justify staying this?
Good question, Lousie369, going back to the initial press release that states the "belief" of LE the day after the murders that there isn't an ongoing community risk, and then almost a month later another press release basically reiterating the same thing with different wording...

FWIW (for what it's worth) my opinion only (MOO) on the information LE learned so quickly that justifies their belief is...
  • the setting (a near-college campus residence)
  • the stealth (sneaking in and out undetected in the middle of the night),
  • the brutality (severe stab wounds), and
  • the annihilation (all 4 of the people sleeping on the top 2 floors were killed)
... within which the killer(s) committed these crimes on innocent young people who had no immediately obvious enemies. They were young college students who had not started careers and/or were seemingly not operating within social spheres that could put them in contact/context with potential enemies "out for blood", IMO.

Hence the crimes appeared to be outside the realm of what could be considered a typical domestic murder scene, and were so horrific/heinous/extreme for the setting and types of victims, that the FBI was called in straightaway, including an "elite" unit that performs:

"... "crime analysis, profiles of unknown offenders, investigative suggestions, threat assessments, interview strategies," and "critical incident analysis.""
Elite FBI unit joins probe into University of Idaho murders, students remembered

All MOO
Edited to Add (ETA): so seemingly one or more of the 4 victims were murdered because of who they were/where they were, hence the killings were focused on the 4 people sleeping on the top 2 floors of that house (the 2 other housemates sleeping on the bottom floor were not attacked) and were not "random" and a threat to the community at large

Last edited:
I think if one sees this as a crime of passion, in the traditional sense, and if one posits a single prime target, that target would almost certainly be Xana, as she was in the public eye with her boyfriend a short time before the event; he was also killed. The motive in this case: jealousy.

MOO but if the Elantra was at the gas station then it's very likely they would know who is driving it. 1. If they bought gas they either 1. used a credit card... ( traceable) or 2. had to pay inside with cash which requires interacting with another human who is a witness.. a purchase other than gas would require interaction with another human even if they paid in cash.. is the A and W and gas station open between 4 and 6 am?
Could also be it passed by the gas station and was visible on one of their cams. While it may be uncommon to see cams on residences and college housing in the area, I’d think there’d be at least one external facing cam at the gas station. Or an unrelated vehicle might have been fueling up and caught a passing vehicle on their dash cam. JMO. I hope you’re right though.

I looked at that picture with a magnifying glass. The drips are clearly visible, dripping down on the cabinet (or door, whatever) but if you look at the piece of (what I assume to be) wood directly above those drips, there aren't "matching" drips that would be part of the path of the drip downwards if the drips came from immediately above. The drips that are visible are dark enough to be seen clearly and I would think that they would be just as easy to see on the piece of wood above it, if they were there. JMO
Could there have been a struggle in the kitchen that caused the drips just to that cabinet area that we see?

Could also be it passed by the gas station and was visible on one of their cams. While it may be uncommon to see cams on residences and college housing in the area, I’d think there’d be at least one external facing cam at the gas station. Or an unrelated vehicle might have been fueling up and caught a passing vehicle on their dash cam. JMO. I hope you’re right though.
I wonder what the mileage is on an Elantra? If this was an out of town perp and they had more than 100 miles or so to drive they would maybe need to gas up somewhere even if you assume a full tank on leaving.. and getting gas will leave a trail...this is a bit like following Hansel and Gretel through the forest...MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste