ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE would rarely divulge persons of interest or suspects as long as there is some "come to Jesus" element which still might bear fruit before the fact, if more than one person fits as a possible person of interest or suspect. (And thus the qualifier, "at this time.")

Here’s what Aaron Snell, the communications director for ISP, the one who the chief said at the press conference would be handling all media inquiries, said re: the roommates:

"These are people who may have seen the crime but on the flip side may have committed the crime," said Aaron Snell, communications director for the Idaho State Police. "We don’t know if they are witnesses, victims or suspects, so until we do a thorough investigation, naming them would be inappropriate."

That's awful. He should have said No Comment. IMO. If they are suspects, that's not how you get them to talk.

Respectfully, can you elaborate on why you think the roommates should not be considered suspects? I remember from my college days how mad some girls could get when they misunderstood a roommate issue or didn't ask for clarification and just internally fumed inside. If a person is angry enough and has thoughts such as killing, the individual would act if that's what they chose. JMO

i truly do not believe they are "suspects". I believe LE is just using "suspect vagueness" to try to disarm the killer, to some degree.

If killer thinks that the roommates are possible suspects, killer could possibly feel some bit of "relaxation".

If LE actually has no clues then before cleaning up the crime-scene they should solicit outside help from bigcity CSI to conduct their own independent investigation. Small town LE are under pressure with the community and can't solve it if they don't get clues. You have to get the experienced-help to discover clues

I'm glad to see that the roommates and food truck guy have been cleared, but it does seem like they don't have much else to go on. Hopefully the email tips will lead to something.
Yes, and video, video, video. Home and business cams were instrumental in the Hannah Graham case and the Mollie Tibbett case (and many others.) Video cameras seem even more ubiquitous now.

Update here:

Moscow Homicide Update
November 18, 2022 4:40 PM

MOSCOW, Idaho – The Moscow Police Department is providing the following information to update the public on the known facts surrounding the four murders that occurred on November 13th in Moscow, Idaho.

On the evening of November 12th, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were at a local bar called The Corner Club at 202 N. Main Street, in downtown Moscow, between 10 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. on November 13th. At approximately 1:40 a.m., Kaylee and Madison were seen on video at a local food vendor called the “Grub Truck” at 318 S. Main Street and used Uber from downtown to arrive at their 1122 King Road residence at 1:45 a.m.

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting. Two other roommates were at the residence that night.

On November 13th, at 11:58 a.m., officers responded to the residence after a 911 call reported an unconscious individual. Upon arrival, officers discovered Kaylee, Madison, Xana, and Ethan deceased inside the residence.

Autopsies were conducted on November 17th. The Latah County Coroner confirmed the identity of the four murdered individuals and their cause and manner of death as homicide by stabbing. The coroner stated that the four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds, and each was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault.

At this time in the investigation, detectives do not believe the two surviving roommates or the male in the Grub Truck surveillance video are involved in this crime. Additionally, online reports of the victims being tied and gagged are not accurate. The identity of the 911 caller has not been released.

As part of the investigation, detectives seized the contents of three dumpsters on King Road to locate possible evidence. Additionally, detectives have contacted local businesses to determine if a fixed-blade knife had been recently purchased.

At the time of this release, detectives have received nearly 500 tips which are being processed, investigated, and cleared. Thirty-eight interviews have been conducted with individuals who may have information about the murders. Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call 208-883-7180 or tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.

The Moscow Police Department is utilizing assistance from the Idaho State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office.

Moscow Police Department:
• 4 Detectives
• 24 Patrol Officers
• 5 Support Staff
Federal Bureau of In Investigators:
• 22 investigators in Moscow
• 20 assigned agents located out of Treasure Valley, ID, Salt Lake City, Utah, and West Virginia
• 2 Behavior Analysis Unit
Idaho State Police:
• 20 investigators
• 15 troopers
• Public Information Officer
• ISP Forensics Services and mobile crime scene team
• 15 uniformed troopers to assist with community patrols

Currently, there are no suspects in custody, and the weapon has not been found.

Anyone who observed suspicious behavior, has video surveillance, or can provide relevant information about these murders, is asked to call the Tip Line at 208-883-7180 or email tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.
The Moscow Police Department thanks our community for their continued support, understanding of the limited information we can share, and patience during this difficult time.
Thanks for posting this. Helpful communication from them

i truly do not believe they are "suspects". I believe LE is just using "suspect vagueness" to try to disarm the killer, to some degree.

If killer thinks that the roommates are possible suspects, killer could possibly feel some bit of "relaxation".
LE gets criticized if they rule out too many possible suspects too quickly- defense says they had preconceived notions, did not thoroughly investigate, etc.

Also, I would say we cannot consider this as fact in any way no matter the timezone. I certainly remember frequently telling my parents while away at college that I was home when I was most certainly not home. I didn't want them to worry or give me 20 questions about it if I said anything else. JMO
That, and the fact the Sigma Chi house is less than 100 yards from her home. It barely qualifies as a white lie. Kind of like "yes Dad, we're home" as in "we're" safe and off the streets.

This does seem to be a minor inconsistency but I don't think it is consequential. We know everyone was apparently safe when Kaylee was making phone calls at 2:45.

If LE actually has no clues then before cleaning up the crime-scene they should solicit outside help from bigcity CSI to conduct their own independent investigation. Small town LE are under pressure with the community and can't solve it if they don't get clues. You have to get the experienced-help to discover clues
Have you seen the amount of resources they're using here?

Moscow Police Department:
• 4 Detectives
• 24 Patrol Officers
• 5 Support Staff
Federal Bureau of In Investigators:
• 22 investigators in Moscow
• 20 assigned agents located out of Treasure Valley, ID, Salt Lake City, Utah, and West Virginia
• 2 Behavior Analysis Unit
Idaho State Police:
• 20 investigators
• 15 troopers
• Public Information Officer
• ISP Forensics Services and mobile crime scene team
• 15 uniformed troopers to assist with community patrols

Yeah, it's an unfortunate reality that rumors spread like wildfire in a case like this. I'm glad law enforcement is responding, but wish they had done it sooner.
Definitely and I hope they now stick to their vetted messaging as there seems to be a lot of going rogue and being easily led by reporters asking leading questions. If they would lock down their comms strategy they would have more time and energy to investigate the case IMO.

But to taint 2 innocent students as potential suspects is abominable, and quite frankly defamation if there is no evidence or suspicion!

I get what you are saying but many cases start at the scene. I'm just going to keep an open mind. JMO

Interesting what Kaylee’s sister says here regarding the security code for the home..

“Goncalves’ sister <modsnip> told ABC World News Tonight there was a keypad door lock on the door and “my sister was always a door locker.”

But, the sister added, “This was the party house, and it’s been generations, so I won’t say they were very private with that code.”

'We're leaving as fast as we can': University of Idaho reels with unease days after killing of 4 students and no suspect identified | CNN

Last edited by a moderator:
Ethan’s obituary

That's beautiful. And absolutely heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow