ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to hear there is a Ring camera on a neighbor's nearby (according to Kaylee's sister in the interview posted upthread). It must show enough that she was confident the girls safely made it home in the Uber - wonder if it shows the front door or just the area in the street out front where they would have been dropped? LE is likely looking at that Ring footage for hours before and after the crime to see if anyone or anything suspicious was noted by their house. Anyone seen to be casing it or lingering in a car or on foot too long?

The six calls around 230 AM are interesting and definitely LE should talk to the call recipient, but IMO, it may be drunk dialing to a person who is either a love interest or just a good friend. Many of us have been there, done that. Maybe she was even hoping he'd come over to hang out and kept trying him for awhile before giving up that he wasn't going to answer. (I'm assuming he never picked up because of the repeated calls but I guess it's possible he did answer at some point).

"Speaking in an exclusive interview with DailyMail.com, Thompson said..."

Does it seem weird to anyone else that a Prosecutor would give an exclusive interview? And more weird that the exclusive interview would not be with one of the local media outlets but to the DailyMail?
Like, IMO maybe the Prosecutor is giving the interview to DM strategically? Maybe to place disinformation in a bigger media source with farther reach etc? I might be reading too much 'three-dimensional chess' into this but it just seems odd to me that he'd go Exclusive to DM without there being a specific reason related to the investigation.

Probably less of an 'exclusive interview' and more like the prosecutor answering a few of the DM reporter's questions as they followed him to his car.

imo

I've lurked this site for years but never joined as I didn't feel I had anything to contribute; at least not until now.

<modsnip>
IMHO several things about the lack of clear blood trail from suspect got me thinking about how this could happen.

IMO, the easiest answer could be to utilize PPE like <modsnip> in the hospitals. Pre-Covid, all the surgical PPE was back in the OR and more difficult for a random employee to take home. Post-Covid, it became more acceptable to leave surgical PPE on the hospital floor or to see someone pop into the OR to grab a suit, gown and hood before heading back out to the floor.
<modsnip>

The suspect could have used the following PPE to make for a fast and easy escape.
-Biohazard body suit (we call them bunny suits)
-Surgical gown
-Shoe covers (extend up to. the knee)
-Surgical helmet (basically a hood with built in face shield that tucks into bodysuit.
-double gloved hands in surgical gloves.
-securely tape seams where: pants of jumpsuit meet top of shoe cover, gloves meet sleeves, helmet may or may not need tape.

This can all be gotten for free from a hospital if he were to work at one. One could also buy the pieces online. A lower quality (but still effective) kit could range from $100-$300. Could even be found cheaper perhaps.

So,the perp could have come dressed in PPE, or, they could have come in normal clothes and then dressed the PPE over their "getaway" clothes. Once dressed, he goes in and commits the crimes. Blood is everywhere. He pulls PPE off, bags it up, and walks out in normal clothes without any blood on him. The PPE would also prevent his hair and skin from being found at the crime scene. He may have a bruise if someone fought back, but would likely not have any cuts, scratches, etc. so I would expect minimal DNA evidence to be found.

This is all only my opinion of course. It would require some planning to pull off. It could just as easy be a psychopath who just undressed prior to the murders then showered, got dressed and left without any blood trail.

Hopefully for the families they get their answers soon .
Thank you for your excellent post as I also wondered about the perp being covered in something to prevent leaving a trail of blood. Additionally, I’m wondering if the perp had any training which might include anatomy so he would know where on the body he should aim for the most lethal result.

I'm glad to hear there is a Ring camera on a neighbor's nearby (according to Kaylee's sister in the interview posted upthread). It must show enough that she was confident the girls safely made it home in the Uber - wonder if it shows the front door or just the area in the street out front where they would have been dropped? LE is likely looking at that Ring footage for hours before and after the crime to see if anyone or anything suspicious was noted by their house. Anyone seen to be casing it or lingering in a car or on foot too long?

The six calls around 230 AM are interesting and definitely LE should talk to the call recipient, but IMO, it may be drunk dialing to a person who is either a love interest or just a good friend. Many of us have been there, done that. Maybe she was even hoping he'd come over to hang out and kept trying him for awhile before giving up that he wasn't going to answer. (I'm assuming he never picked up because of the repeated calls but I guess it's possible he did answer at some point).
I agree. I don't think the calls are related to the murder, but rather are useful because they narrow down the timeline (i.e., LE knows they were alive around 2:30AM because of the calls).

Total speculation, but my guess is that the outgoing calls coupled with Ring camera footage from the neighboring house (which may have captured when the lights in the house were switched off, indicating the victims had gone to sleep) led police to conclude the attack happened between 3 and 4 AM.

"most of them had just like one that was the lethal stab wound"

In previous threads, people wondered if one (or more) victim was overkill which would suggest they were the target. IMO, the coroner saying that most had just one lethal wound suggests there may be one that had multiple.

Apologies if this has been pointed out already. I haven't fully caught up on the thread yet today.

Police have said they don’t have a suspect. Snell said no one has been “included or excluded as a person of interest and/or a suspect.”

Investigators hope the roommates will help them “figure out what occurred and why.”

“That’s their story to tell,” he said.

These statements seem odd, like they are trying to pressure the roommates to speak up more or something. I get that you can't officially clear anyone until you've made an arrest, but there are better ways to say that without casting suspicion on (apparent) survivors

You would think this suspect either lives alone or is from a different state . Everyone by now is on high alert in Idaho and if someone had wounds on them or was acting strange they would have immediately be suspicious. People the next days would be paying attention to people with scratches, wasn’t home that night , came home at a weird hour, acting nervous etc . If it was someone their age I’m sure they do not live alone . Moo

I noticed the description says each floor has two bedrooms and a bath. It has such a design for privacy. 1122 King Road Apartments in Moscow, ID 83843 - Zumper
Two beds and a bathroom per floor. Im wondering if the survivors were in basement? Maybe if Ethan ran after the attacker he fell face down near entrance. Bled out there but made the murderer flee before completing the murders. Then perhaps if he fell face down that is why caller said “unconscious” the did not see stab wound on chest or upper body just blood.
That's a great observation. I've tried to account for how someone wouldn't recognize a stabbing, and that sounds plausible. Though I've heard people insisting that the parents have given interviews, and the coroner now, saying they were all found in their beds. But at this point the coroner has contradicted herself so who even knows anymore?

<modsnip>

I’m trying to imagine a scenario that works, let’s say they did kill the other 4, so they just clean up, go to bed and wait until someone else finds them? That can’t be their best plan, right? Why not “find” them earlier and call 911 to seem less suspicious.

I’m trying not to dismiss the possibility that they did it since LE keeps saying it, I just don’t get why. And if they didn’t do it, then why is LE saying it? Maybe one of the girls is the killer and LE assumes the other knows and is trying to get her to crack?

This whole case is beyond wild.

Before the recent shade being thrown at the survivors I’d considered the theory that someone perceived the two survivors were somehow mistreated by the other 4 and killed the other 4 “on behalf” of the girls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Care to divulge your theory ?

I'm leaning towards random .
I agree. Clocks were recently turned back an hour, so it gets dark earlier in the evening, providing great cover for strangers roaming off-campus areas to peek into windows and/or to test for easy entry for burglary or assault without being spotted.

It appears there are windows to the upper two levels on the hillside side of the house, while all the windows to the lowest level (presumably where the two roommates who escaped attack slept) are on the other, parking side of the home. If someone has been wandering dark yards, peeping from the uphill side, they may have gained some familiarity with the bedrooms on the upper two floors, but remained unaware there were also bedrooms at the daylight basement/ground level.

I'd be curious to know whether there have been recent incidents of peeping toms or suspicious persons loitering near off-campus rentals - perhaps fleeing, asking for directions, or pretending to appear lost if spotted.

Personally, I'm convinced that the other 2 housemates were in the house/asleep from much earlier in the night and weren't killed simply because the killer did not see them THAT night.
Good point.

In addition, Not seeing and Not Knowing can be one form...

Ok, the faux Zen aside...

@MassGuy related that the house has a quirky lay out in regards to the lowest level. This could be due to the house being expanded at some point to allow for more rooms / renting students.

In either case, I wonder if one could casually observe the house from one side, and not realize that there were additional rooms on a lower level- Say, perhaps assume that the lower level was a garage? Or, maybe not realizing that the house is say, a type of 'split level'?

Last edited:
<modsnip>

I’m trying to imagine a scenario that works, let’s say they did kill the other 4, so they just clean up, go to bed and wait until someone else finds them? That can’t be their best plan, right? Why not “find” them earlier and call 911 to seem less suspicious.

I’m trying not to dismiss the possibility that they did it since LE keeps saying it, I just don’t get why. And if they didn’t do it, then why is LE saying it? Maybe one of the girls is the killer and LE assumes the other knows and is trying to get her to crack?

This whole case is beyond wild.

Before the recent shade being thrown at the survivors I’d considered the theory that someone perceived the two survivors were somehow mistreated by the other 4 and killed the other 4 “on behalf” of the girls.

It's possible they were involved but did not actually commit the murders. Helped another person or person(s) somehow. Maybe they didn't know the full extent of what was planned.

Or maybe they don't want to say things out of embarrassment -- maybe they'd look bad for hiding and doing nothing, or just putting their headphones on and going back to sleep. Though I would think they could share this with LE who would not necessarily need to share all the details with the public.

Maybe their parents realized they would be obvious suspects and had them lawyer up, and they weren't actually involved but the cops are frustrated they won't talk to them now?

All rampant speculation of course

I noticed the description says each floor has two bedrooms and a bath. It has such a design for privacy. 1122 King Road Apartments in Moscow, ID 83843 - Zumper
Two beds and a bathroom per floor. Im wondering if the survivors were in basement? Maybe if Ethan ran after the attacker he fell face down near entrance. Bled out there but made the murderer flee before completing the murders. Then perhaps if he fell face down that is why caller said “unconscious” the did not see stab wound on chest or upper body
It's possible they were involved but did not actually commit the murders. Helped another person or person(s) somehow. Maybe they didn't know the full extent of what was planned.

Or maybe they don't want to say things out of embarrassment -- maybe they'd look bad for hiding and doing nothing, or just putting their headphones on and going back to sleep. Though I would think they could share this with LE who would not necessarily need to share all the details with the public.

Maybe they're parents realized they would be obvious suspects and had them lawyer up, and they weren't actually involved but the cops are frustrated they won't talk to them now?

All rampant speculation of course
This happens in a lot of cases. The victims/witnesses are aware of LE's game plan and just need to go with the flow
If those were my children, they would be cooperating but have a lawyer present at all time; the police statements would worry me and I don’t think they’re treating either roommate very well with the press.

I love my dog, but she would sniff the stranger to see if they had treats.
Right. Mine would run up and show the stranger his toy. IMO the dog wasn't there, and I'm just saying it because all of this is already so awful, I can't bear the thought.

A question about the crime scene. <modsnip> Has any info been released indicating that it looked clean up, or info indicating it was not? I have been following pretty closely and most info is quite vague.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member