ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we assuming that by now the vehicle has been caught on a license plate reader somewhere? Is it possible that so far LE only has its side view taken from street/house cameras at multiple locations?
I think it is likely they only have a side view. I have no idea why they wouldn't release the plate number even if it were partial or they couldn't tell what state it was from. Nor could I imagine them having to comb through 22,000 tips if they knew any portion of the number. I think the phrase used in the press releases means exactly what it says - unknown license plate. MOO

I find it strange the way the Moscow Police have worded the info re: license plate on the sought after white 2011-2013 hyundai elantra: “unknown license plate”. Was it an Idaho plate or out of state? Or is that also unknown? They have not clarified that one way or the other.
IMHO if LE says "unknown license plate" it precludes them from releasing any plate information they may have. It also may prevent whomever was driving the car to not switch the plates if they believe LE has no plate information. If it was known that LE had any plate information of any kind, you can bet the media would be all over them demanding answers as to why they don't publicly identify to whom the car is registered, where that person lives, what color their hair is, how many toes are on their feet, etc., and truthfully if I were LE I would not want that to interfere with any element of surprise.

if stolen - might eliminate locals-unless stolen nearby....also if stolen out state.....opens can worms ...If stolen anywhere.... increases odds caught due to 2 crimes to look for a mistake.? imo
Here's another problem for LE. If the vehicle was stolen, how long ago was it stolen? Could be as far back as 2011 to 2013. Maybe it was stolen more recently. Maybe not. It does not seem to have been stolen in Idaho. LE seems to be struggling to identify it, now they are asking the public about a possible car that may not be registered.

Most stolen cars wind up being abandoned. So where did the unsub abandon it?

Sat night is prime for a late might 'lil somthin' as a 'pick me up' vs. getting some pot which likely could be had at most frat houses, . That being said one wouldn't be asleep a few hours later.
The phone records and known communications of all the four victims are (obviously) critical evidence.
all moo, and this is not to imply that any drugs (outside of alcohol that is known) were used by any of the victims
I'm sorry but it's not clear to me how this fits with my comment that Pot delivery is a thing.

editing to clarify;
I do NOT think the victims were buying drugs -- omg no -- I was speaking in general. my comments re drugs were general ones based on a dealer having an Elantra that fit the description, not that the dealer was selling drugs to the victims. thank you @Counttrarian for making me aware.
snip
No, I don't think anyone at 1122 was selling or buying drugs that night.

Regarding the vape shop interview - the manager states that a group of girls came in, M told him "we've had a friend who's had a stalker before" and says she motioned to K. He sort of implies that he thinks this means K had a stalker but it's unclear. In any case he does not claim K said that she had a stalker. IMO this could be a case of subsequent events coloring his recollection or even the just the way the interview was conducted or edited making implications. Or she could have had a stalker, we don't know.

I was just a little surprised because people seem to think the manager says K had a stalker but he did not say that at all.

interview starts at about 1:12

I think it is likely they only have a side view. I have no idea why they wouldn't release the plate number even if it were partial or they couldn't tell what state it was from. Nor could I imagine them having to comb through 22,000 tips if they knew any portion of the number. I think the phrase used in the press releases means exactly what it says - unknown license plate. MOO

I tend to agree. I think if they had more information (like a partial) they would know who they’re looking for or release it for tips by now. IMO - I think it’s likely that the car has an Idaho license plate. Even if they have a partial (the first one or two characters) they would be able to narrow their search to the county it’s registered in. Idaho indicates the county of registration by the first one or two characters on the license plate (not sure if other states do the same?) Latah county, where Moscow is, would have license plates starting with 1L.

Unless of course, it’s a fake plate, customized plate or Washington/any other state then this doesn’t matter. Just in my opinion, I think it’s someone that is in the Idaho area.

IF the white vehicle spotted driving west (towards the house) on Taylor Road between 2:45 and 3:15 was the perp's, that discounts the theories that they were waiting in the house when the students returned home or that they were observing the house from the woods for a long time before entering. Did the perp(s) even know beforehand who would be home? Where did they likely park? Their arrival was also after K and M started sending messages to JD, so those were not related.

oh, good! I missed the detail. Two weeks later is still a head start, and makes a difference in the weather, but still. JMO and my observations are still not a criticism of LE.

editing to add: JMO but if LE got the videos on 11.30 and asked for the public's help on 12.7

does that mean there was nothing helpful in the Troy/Kendrick videos and that's why the public's help is needed? dead end?

OR

does it imply the video confirmed what LE was thinking, and they want the info before the crime because they know the car was dumped in the Troy/Kendrick area, and the killer made his way out of there??

bolded because this is something I'm really wondering about and it might make some sense of less request imo and editing to add because only part of this comment was posted:

Is the Latah Trail a possible route back to Moscow for a real car? at that point in November, it might be. wondering about others' opinions.
Do you think the car was dumped and another taken, or that the driver was picked up, or proceeded on foot?

ETA: Are you thinking that the car was found, and that LE are not actually seeking the car, but the driver, and his movements prior to the crime?

Last edited:
I agree with the other posters who say that the Elantra could have been used without the owner knowing it was even gone. I was a caretaker for my elderly father and I know others in my age group that are currently taking care of very elderly parents. Those parents can be very adamant about not taking their keys or their car away, even if the car just sits in the garage or outside the house. Many of these elderly folks are housebound and would not even know it if someone did take their car for a spin.

What follows below is conjecture based on approved sources and experience ALL MOO
Increasing odds are the car is not local. This isn't based on lack of an occupant contacting LE, who may have a valid reason to not wish to, but rather several other reasons; first it's easier to start local with registrations and video and then work outwards, lack of progress to date leads one to think the initial net came up empty. Secondly, a local vehicle would likely have already led to tipsters to contact LE. As a hypothetical example, let's say the vehicle was used as a mobile drug pickup, which certainly would give the owner a reason not to contact LE, chances are however someone would have the same local 'hookup'. Victim cell records would also likely rule out such scenarios.
There is a chance it is associated with someone at the 'Christ Church' or someone who left with it for UI Fall Recess (which imho is a significant event we haven't focused on) but it seems in LE would have investigated those possibilities.

From various previously linked sources and PRs we know LE has much more information than they have released. This includes important facts such as: likely sequence and locations of the attacks, any attack signatures, existence and status of door locks including those of downstairs roommates, mobile and other communication to and from victims, prior incidents victims may have been involved in, information/alibis related to the most obvious suspects, deliveries to the house, extensive victim backgrounds, and any physical or evidence or lack thereof to date.
So, any crime theories by those outside of LE are at an immense disadvantage.
We do however know that even with all the information LE has, they are asking from public, information related to the occupant/s of the white Elantra, and information related to the location of X and E throughout the evening.
I’m with you until that last bit BBM.

My perception is the X&E timeline was originally somewhat of a black hole because Sigma Chi members predictably shut up, perhaps because of the underage drinking that might have taken place at the party, while non-members initially shared what they could remember/confirm.

They then left town after the murders, as did so many. Reminder: it’s not just UI students who left the area after the murders due to fear.

I cannot stress how “normal” that kind of fraternity stonewall is here until they get clearance/permission. Big or small, it doesn’t matter: they don’t speak without permission.

Once National had a chance to assess & LE stated they didn’t care about things like underage drinking, the green light was given for members to cooperate with LE & share details. And that’s when X&Es timelines at the party were firmed up. It took permission from National for the members to share & then they did. Remember the ambush interview with that poor Sigma Chi president? No way he’d have said a single word, ambush interview or not, had he not received permission. Just no way.

All MOO.

I really do think so. This was brazen and reckless, so it’s someone with a tremendous amount of rage, or someone on a substance. Maybe both.

I’m just shocked they haven’t caught him yet.
I posted at the very beginning it could easily be a person on a bad drug trip. Party houses were all around, not just this one. In the cases I've seen where rage seems to be the motivator, it has been because the person was reacting violently to bad drugs. And there are some that cause a violent reaction. I just don't see how a sober person could cause this carnage. Not on 4 people. I also think KG was probably the last victim because she fought the hardest. She fought till there was no fight left in her!

I can't speak for Moscow but in states where Pot is legal many of the dispensaries deliver. Perhaps that's what the poster was referring to vs an old skool "drug dealer"
Wow! Are you kidding? I can see medical Marijuana being delivered, but not social marijuana. You can't even get alcohol delivered where I live.

I can't speak for Moscow but in states where Pot is legal many of the dispensaries deliver. Perhaps that's what the poster was referring to vs an old skool "drug dealer"
If that was the case I think that dispensary employee would have spoken up already. There would be no reason for them not to do so. IMO

Twitch is all about live streaming to make money. It's huge with the gaming community. It would be a side hustle for the Grub truck to make money.

People love watching other people. The views streamers get just for unboxing a product or eating is insane lol.
I just want to add that as weird as people may find it, getting food at the Grub Truck is one of the quintessential Moscow experiences, just like making it to the Corner Club, for folks out & about. Our dd nagged us incessantly to stay awake late enough to meet up with her so we could taste the yummy food & she could “share the experience” with us.

Everyone in the area knows about the Grub Truck Twitch stream & that’s part of the appeal for patrons. I don’t get it personally, but just sharing how it is here.

Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member