ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a thought and I don’t know how to link the articles I read.
A car heading west twds the house at 2.45

A car heading west twds it seems at the gas station at 3.45

A black truck driving away at 3 ish

What if those cars did visit the house between 2 and 3 am to meet the 4 ( for a party or confrontation or whatever)
Words exchanged . Two cars leave
But later the person in the white car having stewed on it and gone home to get the knife , comes back and does it

They weren’t stupid
They ll have parked a distance away
They went on foot , walked back and left via a circuitous route to go back to their home

I'm really surprised the car hasn't been spotted burned up,I'm in Vancouver BC and the growing trend is burning vehicles used in murder, I'm wondering if the person is keeping it as a souvenir. I am thinking the person/ people involved in this like all the attention and feeling powerful that no one has clue just moo my vho

The area they are recording is very likely considered a public space so invasion of privacy doesn't apply. Technically "right of publicity" may apply since they are making a profit off of someone's likeness, but I presume there are signs around saying people are being recorded/broadcast. Additionally lawsuits being brought for right of publicity are extremely rare.
Right of Publicity - International Trademark Association
As for predation, I don't know if live streaming public areas leads to more predation.

Yeah, in the live cam stalking experience I listed above for the purpose of demonstrating it CAN happen, I told the bartender that it was wrong, streaming people live without their permission. Again, this was over 20 years ago, way before the explosion of SM, etc., and the bartender said “There’s a sticker right there on the wall!”. But I didn’t see it, and it clearly wasn’t overly visible, but somehow he seemed to think a small sticker on the wall justified recording people eating their food live and streaming it on the internet.

Now a days, it’s so common, and one has no power over these things. (I was getting a pedicure one time and the teenagers beside me were doing the Instagram/Snapchat thing, and I was like, “Please!! Can my dry foot and I please have some privacy?!!!!”)

Was that same Grub truck parked there every night????

Last edited:
is it that common for a rental company to have 11-12 car old rentals? and wouldn't the criminal would be on video in the business? and wouldn't the business would have already reported to LE the they'd rented an 11-12 yo Elantra? imo so not seeing this as an option. I do agree it could have been a stolen car, but not a rental car and stolen ID.
I remember there was a national shortage of rental cars recently. I’m thinking it was pandemic related but maybe not. I saw a report somewhere about private rentals of your personal car. Obviously I don’t remember the specifics of any of it…but it seems like it was an Airbnb type deal, but for cars. I don’t know, just another possibility, albeit improbable.

I remember there was a national shortage of rental cars recently. I’m thinking it was pandemic related but maybe not. I saw a report somewhere about private rentals of your personal car. Obviously I don’t remember the specifics of any of it…but it seems like it was an Airbnb type deal, but for cars. I don’t know, just another possibility, albeit improbable.
Rentals were tough but no rentals this old for the big companies.

one possibility imo, if they got a clear shot of the face, they'd just do an image search and potential bingo. kg had massive followers on SM - search for her probably would've paid off IMO.
Luckily this would be difficult, because image search locates images that match the entire picture, including the background-not just the face like facial recognition technology. IMO

LE Reviews of Videos. Forensic Challenges.

Has LE stated the number of videos received/collected? Or terabytes? Or anything giving us an idea about the volume of vid data for review?

From the Forbes article* someone posted (sorry, forgot who, but TYVM): "... the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013, where the FBI received over 13,000 videos and had 120 analysts probe them all for clues."

Labor intensive to say the least.

[[[ETA. just saw post by @mayhem911 thx mayhem
"FBI combing through 2,700 hours of relevant video tape progress is being made. Hyundai Elantra is just the tip of the iceberg feels like." ]]]

Last edited:

I think it's a viable option but it would be a stupid choice for the killer because the owner would have every reason to report that they'd rented their 2011-2013 Elantra and once they did, DNA central, even without a name or description, but they probably did require a proof of DL so maybe that, too.

This tragedy seems to be breaking news:

Police said they responded to King Road for a report of an unconscious person. When officers arrived, they “discovered four individuals who were deceased...”

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8
Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16
Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24
Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28
Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31

Media Thread/No Discussion

Press photo album (compilation courtesy of WS member cujenn81)

Moscow ID Police Departement Facebook page

City of Moscow re King Road Homicide

Detectives are looking to develop context for the events and people involved in the four murders at 1122 King Rd in Moscow, Idaho. Anyone who observed notable behavior, has video surveillance, or can provide relevant information about these murders:

Based on just the information available online, I believe there is a likely possibility the killer(s) were already inside the house waiting when the victims returned for the last time that evening. On a sidenote, the two most common specialities that employ fixed-blade, combat-style knives (like a K-Bar) are military/survivalist/hunting and scuba diving, which are typically full-tang, single piece with a combat style blade grip improvement wrap on the handle, like paracord.

Luckily this would be difficult, because image search locates images that match the entire picture, including the background-not just the face like facial recognition technology. IMO
I can do a tight screenshot of the face and adjust the image clarity and focus using my computer or phone. It's how strangers who do tacky things get called out/canceled on SM. IMO

If I was going to meticulously plan out something like this and needed a getaway car, and I lived in a state next to the Canadian border, that's where I would steal one of these cars. Or even purchase one outright in Canada and leave it in a storage unit up there near an obscure, unattended border crossing.

Indeed, it'd be really really hard to locate a Canadian-spec and unregistered Elantra bought in Canada and using stolen US plates. That's why I wish they would release clear footage of the actual car, because Canadian spec cars often have subtle differences in features.

My opinion.

I'm gonna show my age here with my question. Are smart watches considered stylish by the teens and early 20s crowd? Would girls going out on the town be likely to wear that accessory when dressing up? I feel like that might be something they leave at home but it might be my age showing.

I personally don’t find smart watches particularly stylish. Sure, you can add a different nicer strap or if you have an Apple watch, for example, it’s sort of a social status signaling thing.

But speaking for myself and I think for a lot of people (especially younger folks) it’s more something you don’t even consider as a fashion accessory. Not in the way you’d consider earrings, bracelets, etc. as an accessory. It’s just something you always wear, kinda like how we always take our phones places.

Just like a phone, it’s a tool that you use everyday and just becomes your normal. When I forget to put smart my watch on before I leave for work, I definitely notice it’s absence during the day! (Especially if I misplace my phone and don’t have my watch to easily ping it!)

Sorry that was rambling, but does that make sense?

Last edited:
you might want to search state court cases. I believe you'll find that 'expectation of privacy' is extremely common in cases, criminal as well as civil. search, seizure, evidence, etc. lots and lots of issues, but also with civil cases, recording requiring consent, etc. lots.

I am not going to do any case law research and so I won't elaborate on any potential liability issues, but I will say that IMO and IME they could potentially exist.
Respectfully...
Idaho is a one party state:
Section 18-6702 – Idaho State Legislature

Here is some info on expectation of privacy
and SCOTUS case law:

IMHO what I wrote originally applies both at a state level and law of the land.

If I was going to meticulously plan out something like this and needed a getaway car, and I lived in a state next to the Canadian border, that's where I would steal one of these cars. Or even purchase one outright in Canada and leave it in a storage unit up there near an obscure, unattended border crossing.

Indeed, it'd be really really hard to locate a Canadian-spec and unregistered Elantra bought in Canada and using stolen US plates. That's why I wish they would release clear footage of the actual car, because Canadian spec cars often have subtle differences in features.

My opinion.
there are unattended border crossings? looks like they're all attended or closed, and just think of that security video. IMO safer to go back to the grandmother's garage and paint the blue one white IMO :)

This is probably of no value whatsoever and probably not connected to our case, but this plane has been circling the Little Jacks Wilderness Area for a couple of hours. It's about 400 mile south of Moscow. Perhaps a good place to ditch a car? (I like to watch air traffic in my spare time lol)

View attachment 388049
Wintertime is often (in my experience) when wildlife surveys are done by air over federal lands. Wild horses, wolves, bighorn sheep, etc.

I have no idea of the topography or the cattle industry in Idaho, but would cattle be in the wilderness?
Maybe, but normally not in the wintertime, in my experience.

I lost the quotes but someone asked about roads and about cabins. Designated Wilderness does not have roads and nothing motorized is permitted. If there are any cabins they would be ski warming huts or the like, but since this isn't typical forested area, probably none of those.

This is over 8 hours driving from Moscow (400 miles) and it is not even getting up to freezing during the days right now, down to teens or single digits at night -- no one is camping out there right now except winter extremists!

tldr I think the planes are unrelated

MOO

Edit: I just looked at a BLM map (https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2022-09/BigLittle_Jacks_Wilderness_Map_508.pdf) and I see that there are some roads. Technically the boundary of the wilderness area goes "around" these roads so they aren't officially included, but in all practicality a person could drive those roads and then as soon as they step more than a few feet off the road, they are then in the Wilderness area. Still think the circling flights are unrelated, just wanted to correct my earlier misimpression about whether vehicles can go into the area.

Last edited:
Mabbutt visited the crime scene and reached out to each family member to disclose details from the autopsies.

The students were ambushed as they slept in their beds at 1122 King Road with a large fixed-blade knife, according to police and Mabbutt. Each victim had multiple stab wounds.

"It had to be a really big knife to inflict those injuries and kill four people," she said.

I can do a tight screenshot of the face and adjust the image clarity and focus using my computer or phone. It's how strangers who do tacky things get called out/canceled on SM. IMO
Wouldn’t the person have to have a very similarly positioned picture (close up picture of the face) for it to be a hit? I can see it being possible if so.

I did a reverse image search recently for a photo and many images came up that matched the general shape and colors of the picture but the person didn’t come up (which I’m actually kind of glad about.) I hope so or else it’s pretty spooky and dangerous to have in the hands of the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member