ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would still have been registered at some point by a previous owner even if he hasn't registered it himself.
I guess I'm going to have to up my virtual car theft planning lol. What about dead grandmother's blue Elantra that he painted white with plates borrowed from a junkyard? would that work? (Quite obviously another spitball scenario)

Incredibly random thought here.

It seems to me that LE is tracking a white Hyundai’s movements as we have learned they have asked for surveillance from
Stores in both Troy and Kendrick.

MOO they should have the plate by now— but in yesterdays press release they stated “ white Hyundai with an unknown plate”

Is there a such thing as a “fake” temporary license plate ? Meaning - the perp probably wouldn’t be so stupid to drive without a plate - as that runs the risk of being pulled over immediately.

However , if he simply created a good fake looking temporary plate that has bs numbers/letters on it. This wouldn’t be a huge red flag for getting pulled over because officers aren’t really looking that close.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening ? Like for the purpose of committing crime/going undetected.

View attachment 388116
So it's like definitely probably illegal, but there's a film you can put over your license plate that makes it harder to read. Something with the glare from lights or the sun. There are also tinted "covers" that also make them harder to read.

I'm gonna show my age here with my question. Are smart watches considered stylish by the tees and early 20s crowd? Would girls going out on the town be likely to wear that accessory when dressing up? I feel like that might be something they leave at home but it might be my age showing.
They just went out to casual dive bars/the frat house that night. They would not feel the need to take off their smart watch for this. If they were going out to nightclubs, formals , etc. where they cared about their outfits more, they might take them off then.
MOO

I guess I'm going to have to up my virtual car theft planning lol. What about dead grandmother's blue Elantra that he painted white with plates borrowed from a junkyard? would that work? (Quite obviously another spitball scenario)

If it was a blue one that he had wrapped in white, then yes it would be difficult if not impossible to locate within their search parameters.

is it that common for a rental company to have 11-12 car old rentals? and wouldn't the criminal would be on video in the business? and wouldn't the business would have already reported to LE the they'd rented an 11-12 yo Elantra? imo so not seeing this as an option. I do agree it could have been a stolen car, but not a rental car and stolen ID.

Only thing I can think of is that there is a company called Rent a wreck’. Maybe there are similar cheap rentals nearby as it is a College town.
I thought about this too. Going on foot or riding a bike to where their car is located, but wasn’t it extremely cold and snowing? I’ve never lived in an area that gets this cold, would it be more suspicious to be on a bike during this time of year? Plus, what about shedding the clothes worn during the homicides- can’t ride a bike with those visibly on. I guess it was late in a small town and being seen wasn’t as much of a concern.

Only thing I can think of is that there is a company called Rent a wreck’. Maybe there are similar cheap rentals nearby as it is a College town.
but in theory, at least, rent a wreck would know that they rented a 2011-2013 Elantra, and to whom, and even if it was fake id and stolen card, they'd have a description imo

I agree. Viewers can also buy the patrons meals if they want.

The channel has been a huge hit with customers and the Grub Truck staff. Viewers from around the world can donate money to employees in the form of tips, or to customers in the form of paid meals. The crew loves it. “We have almost no turnover,” says Fletcher, an impressive feat for college town food service. Split between the team, each employee typically clears an extra $5/hour in tips in addition to in-person gratuities. An interactive chat connects viewers to the customers waiting outside.

“I can’t speak to the psychology of it,” says Fletcher, but he notes that hungry patrons are happy to sing a song or do a dance in exchange for a viewer-purchased burrito.
This is just…eww.

is it that common for a rental company to have 11-12 car old rentals? and wouldn't the criminal would be on video in the business? and wouldn't the business would have already reported to LE the they'd rented an 11-12 yo Elantra? imo so not seeing this as an option. I do agree it could have been a stolen car, but not a rental car and stolen ID.
Not in this age where you can rent your car out like you rent a room in your house. Some cars are available to just hop into like an uber except you're the driver. It's a pretty easy hack, and the range of cars are across the board.

An example: Getaround

Certainly some great points made here in response to the possibility of the car being burned out.

The reason why I was thinking this is because I’ve seen it in a lot of other cases, specifically on a lot of ID shows, but thinking about this more, that’s often in locations out in the desert, California, Arizona, New Mexico. However, I have seen this in remote locations out in the woods, at scenes where there is a lot of dumped debris, like old couches and stuff, party locations, etc., in non-desert states. I’ve also seen cars pushed down embankments, cliffs, etc.

If the intent is simply to burn the evidence, destroy blood, DNA, etc., one could burn it up on a highway, say the car was stolen, etc. Of course that would insert them into the investigation, just talking out loud.

There is also the possibility the car really was stolen, which LE would likely be checking into all reported stolen cars matching that description.

Good point also about if the car is destroyed, one might look suspicious when their vehicle suddenly disappears or can not be accounted for. If it’s a lone perp, he wouldn’t have to answer to anyone, or he could tell whoever the car was stolen. If he’s driving a different car, he could also say he sold his other one, or traded it in, or whatever, if someone asks. If he’s out of state, and others are not familiar with the details of this case and the car being looked for, it wouldn’t raise suspicion.

Which brings up another point: I’ve seen some say it’s unlikely there are people who don’t know about this case. Perhaps this is more true in the state of Idaho, but as aware as we are of these cases, not everyone watches the news, YouTube videos, uses social media, etc., specifically some older people. I could probably mention this to someone out of state, and there would be the chance they may not know anything other than “Yeah, I heard something about that, college kids killed..”, and that could be the extent of their knowledge. Or perhaps they may not know anything at all. I know it seems hard to believe when some of us are so plugged into the news and true crime, but honestly not everyone else is, as hard as that is to believe. Again, in Idaho, probably not so much, but I don’t think it can be taken for granted that every single person in the US is aware of a white Elantra being sought.
I wonder if they have digital billboards in Idaho and if ISP and MPD are using them to advertise the car?

Certainly some great points made here in response to the possibility of the car being burned out.

The reason why I was thinking this is because I’ve seen it in a lot of other cases, specifically on a lot of ID shows, but thinking about this more, that’s often in locations out in the desert, California, Arizona, New Mexico. However, I have seen this in remote locations out in the woods, at scenes where there is a lot of dumped debris, like old couches and stuff, party locations, etc., in non-desert states. I’ve also seen cars pushed down embankments, cliffs, etc.

If the intent is simply to burn the evidence, destroy blood, DNA, etc., one could burn it up on a highway, say the car was stolen, etc. Of course that would insert them into the investigation, just talking out loud.

There is also the possibility the car really was stolen, which LE would likely be checking into all reported stolen cars matching that description.

Good point also about if the car is destroyed, one might look suspicious when their vehicle suddenly disappears or can not be accounted for. If it’s a lone perp, he wouldn’t have to answer to anyone, or he could tell whoever the car was stolen. If he’s driving a different car, he could also say he sold his other one, or traded it in, or whatever, if someone asks. If he’s out of state, and others are not familiar with the details of this case and the car being looked for, it wouldn’t raise suspicion.

Which brings up another point: I’ve seen some say it’s unlikely there are people who don’t know about this case. Perhaps this is more true in the state of Idaho, but as aware as we are of these cases, not everyone watches the news, YouTube videos, uses social media, etc., specifically some older people. I could probably mention this to someone out of state, and there would be the chance they may not know anything other than “Yeah, I heard something about that, college kids killed..”, and that could be the extent of their knowledge. Or perhaps they may not know anything at all. I know it seems hard to believe when some of us are so plugged into the news and true crime, but honestly not everyone else is, as hard as that is to believe. Again, in Idaho, probably not so much, but I don’t think it can be taken for granted that every single person in the US is aware of a white Elantra being sought.
I have been thinking the same thing regarding the lack of awareness about the car search. I have told 6 people about this case and how I have been following it. Half tell me they merely saw it in the headlines and the other half had no idea about the case!

Not in this age where you can rent your car out like you rent a room in your house. Some cars are available to just hop into like an uber except you're the driver. It's a pretty easy hack, and the range of cars are across the board.

An example: Getaround
good point, but IMO there's still going to be a record of it, even if it's a stolen card, and the true owner would have reported it, and hopefully there is photo provided as well. Pretty big risk imo because it involves another person with a reason to report it. if I were planning a quadruple murder, I would definitely not loop in any more people than required. imo

FBI combing through 2,700 hours of relevant video tape progress is being made. Hyundai Elantra is just the tip of the iceberg feels like.
Moo...

I think these investigations can be a bit like how logic problems are solved.

For example...

Let's say they are trying to determine who drives a pinkcar out of 5 possible people. 3 boys and two girls. If we know for a fact that none of the boys drive a pink car. We can safely deduce the driver of the car is either girl A or girl B. If we also know that girl A drives a blue car. By process of elimination we know that girl B drives a white car even though we don't have anything that directly proves that she does. She must drive it because we have proven that nobody else did.

I think it's very possible that the police are eliminating possibilities and closing in on the culprit by process of elimination.

Once they have completed eliminating all other suspects and only have one remaining. They have the added burden of finding something to link that person to the scene of the crime. They need to catch them in possession of the murder weapon, DNA evidence, eye witness, or maybe evidence their car was in the immediate vicinity of the crime scene after denying it. They need something to justify an arrest.

It's a tough task. This crime has struck a cord in me that most do not. One of the first things I do when I get home is check on here to see if an arrest was made today. It's very unsettling to think a predator is on the prowl planning for his next victim.

There is an app called Turo that is like AirBnB but for cars, in the sense that people can list their own personal vehicles for rent, Turo's website says host cars can be up to 12 years old. It's popular among young people because it's cheaper than renting a car through a business, especially for people under 25 who often have to pay liability fees or just flat out can't rent.

Glad to see this being discussed again, and I'm linking the December 3rd video from Brian Entin via Twitter:

Back on December 6th, in my first post as a new WS member, I raised the same issue: that the number of physical evidence pieces collected hadn’t increased despite the removal on December 3rd of bagged items from the house by what appeared to be LE individuals.

Possibilities explaining the discrepancy that I could think of then:

Evidence recovered and not in the custody of MPD, but another branch of LE.
Evidence recovered but not yet recorded to the MPD physical evidence catalog because they are so heavily tasked.

Moscow LE uses the phrase "physical evidence" in their own press releases, so I'm taking that at face value and not making any assumptions about "forensic evidence."

I don't know what number of physical evidence items could be considered customary in a case that is anything but. Among the 113 pieces of physcal evidence collected - my opinion only - it seems that the following items could be included:

Bed linens from all floors
Articles of clothing found on the bodies of the victims and any discarded clothing they may have worn earlier that night
All cell phones
Any object with blood on it
Any object that appears to have been disrupted (tipped over, broken, etc.)
Any device that contains data (an Alexa, smartwatches, wi-fi routers, computers, etc.)
Area rugs
Any journals, diaries, scraps of writing, pieces of mail, etc.
Kitchen items reflecting recent eating and drinking
Kitchen knives
Any item that might carry fingerprints
Any common household tools
Garbage from waste receptacles throughout, inside and out
Anything recovered from outside/the perimeter of the property

Maybe this list comprises fewer than 113 items, maybe more. It's just what I could come up with, and it does NOT include the "dripping blood" on the exterior of the house because whether that is or is not blood has yet to be addressed by LE.

I'm curious to know what everybody else would add to a list of physical evidence that could have / should have been collected from this terrible scene.
That’s a comprehensive list.

I know you’ve already included “kitchen items reflecting recent eating and drinking,” but to that I would add toothbrushes, hairbrushes and vapes. LE would need to eliminate all DNA that belongs to those who lived there.

I hope they have been able to get fingernail cuttings from the victims, on the off-chance anyone did in fact have time to fight back.

There is an app called Turo that is like AirBnB but for cars, in the sense that people can list their own personal vehicles for rent, Turo's website says host cars can be up to 12 years old.
yes, but as I said above, the car's owner would still know that they had a 2011-2013 Elantra that they'd rented, and even if it were a stolen card, there's still a trail. IMO that's better than painted car with junkyard plates.

That’s a comprehensive list.

I know you’ve already included “kitchen items reflecting recent eating and drinking,” but to that I would add toothbrushes, hairbrushes and vapes. LE would need to eliminate all DNA that belongs to those who lived there.

I hope they have been able to get fingernail cuttings from the victims, on the off-chance anyone did in fact have time to fight back.

edited to fix url I pasted twice[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members