ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this article has been posted previously.

Crime Stoppers, Canadian law enforcement absent from University of Idaho murders probe

Interesting-Moscow is roughly 4 hours max from the Canadian border.

I wonder if LE has checked with Canada customs to see what white Hyundai Elantras have crossed from the states into British Columbia or Alberta over the past month. Despite the size of the US-Canadian border, there are few post-9/11 entry points (even on foot).

Since 9/11, the Canada Border Service Agency has become much more aggressive and diligent in its day-to-day enforcement, like its southern neighbors.

Like those entering the states since September 11th, it's become routine to experience elevated questioning from CBSA officers, even if you are a Canadian citizen who often travels to and from the US.

US authorities should ask their Canadian counterparts if any white sedans were referred to secondary inspection (i.e., an interview with the driver and vehicle search).
They asked the Canadian border officials to look for the white Elantra, back on December 8th. Idk if they've asked the Mexican Border as well.

Check online - easy to find. DNA forensic tests can be done from 90 minutes to 2 days to 10 days. Not a long process.

But there’s a difference between DNA tests of a neatly donated sample, vs trying to disentangle a mixed sample.

This article doesn’t directly address the time for tests, but it seems clear that it won’t be 90 minutes.

MOO

There is a factor that to me eliminates a stalker or anyone who had "planned" to kill, especially if Kaylee or Ethan was his intended victim.

Kaylee had only come for the weekend to show her car and Ethan was not a resident there either, he was just staying the night. The killer would have had to be either incredibly knowledgeable about their schedules or be awfully lucky for them to be there that night.

This makes it much more logical to me that something triggered somebody that night, due to sometlhing that happened. This is why it is critical to know where Ethan and Xana were for the unaccounted-for time that nobody is able to confirm their whereabouts. Did they walk home ? Did they come with somebody in a car ? Did anybody go in the house with them ? Where did they enter the house ?

And I find it incredibly strange that Alivea said she saw video of a neighbor's security camera that captured Maddie and Kaylee returning home But yet to my knowledge that camera does not capture Ethan and Xana coming home. How is that possible ? Anyone going into that house would almost certainly approach from the front just like Maddie and Kaylee did when they were dropped off by the rideshare driver. Coming from the college you would still pass the front of the house even if you were going around to the back to go into the sliding door. Did they parachute in ?
If the killer wasn't a very close friend of Kaylee's or Ethan's (and Kaylee or Ethan was the target), then the killer would have had to have done extensive reconnaissance. And risk being captured on camera doing reconnaissance.

As you mentioned, few people expected Kaylee and Ethan to be there that night. The triggering event, if this was rage-induced without much preplanning, was the sudden appearance of Kaylee and/or Ethan at the house. I don't believe Ethan, or anything he did that evening, brought this on.

Why would Kaylee's return visit bother anyone? Why would Ethan's presence, as a male, apparently staying overnight, bother anyone? Were these random, unplanned occurrences? Who knew? Who did not know? Who found out by accident? Who carries a big knife and knows how to hunt with one, perhaps Boy Scouts or similar training? I think the cop with US Army combat experience would be well-trained to investigate. IMO.

Yes, but tennis shoes leave imprints - especially in blood.

He certainly wouldn’t have entered barefoot - he’d have put on plain rubber slip-ons. They’re perfect - they’re quiet, grip really well, and leave no imprints.
These also are hard to run in, feel every rock and sharp angle through the soles and slow speed if you thought you'd need to escape quickly. Plain rubber slip ons leave imprints too.

Not saying is isn't possible. If the killer thought they had unlimited time or had a smooth, non rocky line of escape, they might have opted for that. A smart killer would just wear quiet shoes to start with, and burn them after. You cant compare melted soles to anything.

And I knew so many guys in high school who could run down the hall and you never heard them coming. Some people don't clomp when they walk (or run). My experience only.

In case it was pre-planned - Yes.

But we really don't know.
I mean who keeps plastic coverings for feet at home?

Not me :)

Besides, they are slippery, no?

JMO
The way this mass murder was carried out there must have been planning gone into it - it wasn’t a spur of the moment loss of control.

They’d have thought of everything, and that’s why the police are having such a hard time tracking the perp.

As for his foot coverings, they may have purchased forensic type ones or rubber type food sliders. They’re hardly difficult to find - just tap them into Amazon and there’s hundreds of them listed. And that’s without hunting supply shops who sell all manner of items.

But wouldn't these be slippery? Remember, he has the maneuver through the house very quickly, and likely needs some traction while doing the stabbing. Dunno, just thinking!
I don’t think forensic foot coverings are slippery. It’s highly unlikely they’d issue forensics with slippery footwear when they’re searching a crime scene - the last thing they want is for forensic agents to keep slipping over and destroying/repositioning DNA particles.

But the perp may not have used forensic coverings - he may have used rubber hunting shoes.

But wouldn't these be slippery? Remember, he has the maneuver through the house very quickly, and likely needs some traction while doing the stabbing. Dunno, just thinking!
I don’t think forensic foot coverings are slippery. It’s highly unlikely they’d issue forensics with slippery footwear when they’re searching a crime scene - the last thing they want is for forensic agents to keep slipping over and destroying/repositioning DNA particles.

But the perp may not have used forensic coverings - he may have used rubber hunting shoes.

LE does not share evidence with the public. The end goal is a conviction in court not satisfying public curiosity.
They do in an arrest affidavit. Also many times with a suspect sketch, article of clothing, vehicle, video recording, or asking for public assistance before an arrest. Most murders are solved with public input IMO. Once an investigation becomes adversarial with the public, LE loses a vital necessary component to solving the crime. A well run investigation makes the public feel as though they can help, and never blames the public for interest in solving a crime.

Kaylee's ex didn't speak at the memorial though. The person you're describing was Maddie's boyfriend.
Ah! My mistake. Thank you for correcting me.

However, the same still applies - except it’s Maddie’s boyfriend and not Kaylee’s.

A couple posters said that they were not familiar w murderer Scott Peterson, who has been mentioned on the thread.

Old Hat for Many, likely know this, but ---

Just fyi, when new-to-you names pop up like this and tickle your curiousity, a couple things to consider trying---
--- Search on Websleuths (ex., for Scott P, tens of thousands of posts)
--- Often this is more helpful for locating a 5 - 30 min read of a case. Search w perp's name and/or victim's name (and if known to you, a city name & year, etc.) & "wikipedia" in your search terms you . That often has a synopsis, esp'ly on cases catching national wide attn.

Hope it helps.

IMO if there had been evidence left behind, this case would have moved past the point where it is at now, which is this case seems to not be moving forward at all. If evidence had been left behind, LE would be doing a whole lot more searching for other things related to that supposed evidence, and no doubt would have asked the public's help (as with the white car).
i'm not sure if I agree with your conclusions and I'm not sure that roping the public in any more than they have would prove helpful.
By now all of Moscow knows what is required, evidence from the actual night a crazed individual or group massacred a group of young people in the dead of night.
i was thinking about it today and trying to imagine what LE saw when they opened those doors.

That is the crime.
Awful beyond imagining, probably.
An increased Federal involvement suggests the search is no longer local.
I don't know.
I don't know that anybody else knows either.
It was an utterly devastating and heinous crime.

RIP.

Appreciate the posting!
Sometimes a significant other fits perfectly on paper and with families.
Families follow our lead and fall in love with them just as we do. Love and commitment may change and we move on, but our family maintains a relationship.

K took a job out of state, to me that signifies a readiness to move forWard. Maybe with or maybe without JD. Idk
IMO if someone was hurt here, it was JD
Men react and handle hurt differently than young women.
Typically they don’t talk, they hold it in.

For people considering JD out of his league with K, they are seeing the boy and not the man.
He is a mechanical engineering major. That is a rigorous pursuit.
Near Thanksgiving profs give a third exam, the last exam prior to the final exam.
He may have been hold up studying for days, exhausted, with projects and exams soon heading into finals.
I don‘t know him, but my dad, brother, and sig other are engineers- so I’m biased.
We do know…
- K and M called JD that night
- the timing of the calls were not long before their deaths
- JD did not answer the phone.
I cannot imagine his sense of responsibility, What if he had answered the phone? He likely has played that out a million times and it will weigh on him for the rest of his life.

JMO
I've considered this, too, and if JdC had gone over there around 3 AM he might have been victim #1. There's no assurance that he would've been anyone's protector.

I did not post the article, I was only responding to it: I cannot believe someone on this planet does not know who Scott Peterson is (not being critical, just surprised). Scott is in prison for life after being convicted in 2004 ( think that is the year) for murdering his wife Laci Peterson. They resided in Modesto California. You can google this case. It is extremely well known and garnered huge attention when it occurred.
Thank you for replying.

Surprising as it sounds, I have not heard of Scott Peterson - but that could be that he murdered his wife almost 20 years ago in California and I’m resident in the UK. The British press don’t run all US homicide stories unless they’re unusually brutal or involve multiple deaths. Also, in 2004 I was travelling abroad for two years in Eastern Europe and their news outlets are even less likely to publish a story if a man murdering his wife in the US.

So today a lot has been talked about the mess possibly left behind by the killer or killers. There is no doubt that there was most likely blood everywhere and the killer probably had quite a bit on them. The question of bloody footprints came up. I am not so sure about that. If the killer moved quickly from victim to victim there may not have been much blood on the floor at that point. I would assume if there was a lot of blood on the floor that would have come after the killer had left. Unless he didn't leave right away I'm not sure there would be any footprints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C-Kane